Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I hate jumpscares when they're literally "oh no spooky thing and screaming!" with no context, but the couple mentioned here are good.

I also love the Lake Mungo jumpscare in the lakebed and (though your mileage may vary on this one) the toy phone scare in Skinamarink.

Plus I guess you'd say the reveal of the first dead girl in The Ring is a jumpscare, one that definitely freaked me out as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

One jumpscare I really liked that I saw recently was in The Demons of Ludlow, of all movies. Bill Rebane is a weird and often very bad filmmaker but I love his regional guerilla movie-making. The scene in question has one of the ghosts popping up out of hay in a barn to assault a young couple and it's one of the first scares in the movie. It was just genuinely startling but also super fun, and it introduced the threat of the movie in style. Good stuff!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Fate Accomplice posted:

I finished 1963's "Challenge the Devil" and it's neck and neck with that Japanese schoolgirls fighting ghosts/monsters movie for worst movie I have ever seen.

Dear god, yes. 90% of the movie takes place on a spiral staircase!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Jump scares are also cheapened when you have a bunch of fake ones before the real one. At some point the audience stops giving a poo poo. Like, I know the movie as a whole is terrible, but there's a scene in Halloween 5 in the barn where there are four or five fake jump scares in a row and by the time you get to the real one it no longer elicits a reaction.

EDIT: At the same time, fake jump scares can be used to keep the audience on edge if used more subtly. I immediately think of the first Scream where the music builds as she opens the closet in her home early in the movie. Nothing happens, but they're playing with the audience's expectations of such a scene.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Basebf555 posted:

I think you need a "holy poo poo!" factor that goes beyond just the loud noise. Like in the famous one from Exorcist III, a big part of why it's good is because it's this person in a bizarre outfit walking up behind someone with a giant pair of shears in their hand. You're brain doesn't quite know what to make of it.

Same thing with my personal favorite jump-scare, from Candyman. Sure, you jump from the loud noise initially but the gigantic hook hand swiping around through the mirror keeps the moment going as you process what you're seeing and how scary it is. It's not just a stupid cat jumping out from behind a door or whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qnJA-muY4E

I love this one too and a big part is that the scare comes just a second earlier and from a different direction than you're expecting. The audience expectation (or at least mine) is that Candyman will show up in the reflection of the mirror behind her when she closes the medicine cabinet door because that's just how it works in horror movies but then it swerves in a genuinely surprising way.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'm fine with jump scares for the most part. I like stuff in Aliens where it's all tense at the beginning trying to figure out where everyone is, and someone knocks over a canister. Using it as a breather like that is great stuff. But movies where it's just dumb friends patting someone on the back five times in ten minutes is stupid.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The Leatherface reveal in the radio station in Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 is really good.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Jump scares are just a tool. Over reliance on a tool isn’t the tools fault, it’s a lack of skill and creativity on part of the person using the tool. Jump scares, when used well, are amazing. The Exorcist 3s jump scare is loving iconic because of how well it’s used and nothing about it feels cheap

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TheKingslayer posted:

The Leatherface reveal in the radio station in Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 is really good.

Hell yes.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

incredible setup and payoff with this one

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Jump scares are just a tool. Over reliance on a tool isn’t the tools fault, it’s a lack of skill and creativity on part of the person using the tool. Jump scares, when used well, are amazing. The Exorcist 3s jump scare is loving iconic because of how well it’s used and nothing about it feels cheap

:agreed:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I watched A Tale of Two Sisters for the first time last year and it has what I thought was an all-time great jump scare that I don't see mentioned often, the girl under the sink scene. It takes its time building up, and what's coming seems obvious at first but it doesn't happen, then it misdirects you to another potential source of the scare that again doesn't happen, and after a bit you're uncertain if there's actually going to be any payoff until BAM. It's on YouTube although I don't know how effective it would be outside the context of the movie.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I've mentioned it before but the jump scare in the rung when samara teleports into that guy's face is awesome. You're already horrified by what's happening and the anticipation of what she's going to do...then she suddenly zips right up to him, destroying the tiny comfort that she was far away

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Also the first time you see the shark in jaws

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The Jaws one is brilliant because at that moment you're so caught up in the bickering between the three leads that you almost forget about the shark until he comes up to say hello.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The Alien on the road with Xtro, the kid in the box in Sinister, the the scissors guy in Exorcist III, the ghost under the bedsheets in the Grudge, the hanging girl in Haunting of Hill House, the Thing's chest scene, Leatherface bopping the guy on the head with a meat hammer

Jump scares are good, just use them sparingly or to show sudden finality.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I liked in the Mike Flanagan sick kids series where they were all telling eachother stories, the one bit that was like a dozen jumpscares in a row cause obviously the kid was relying on it way too much for his story

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:getin: :hellyeah:

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1763610384152301958?s=20

Parts 2 and 3 later in the year

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the best jump scare is when you expect a jump scare and there is no jump scare

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Like the example from Scream I mentioned.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

gey muckle mowser posted:

I watched A Tale of Two Sisters for the first time last year and it has what I thought was an all-time great jump scare that I don't see mentioned often, the girl under the sink scene. It takes its time building up, and what's coming seems obvious at first but it doesn't happen, then it misdirects you to another potential source of the scare that again doesn't happen, and after a bit you're uncertain if there's actually going to be any payoff until BAM. It's on YouTube although I don't know how effective it would be outside the context of the movie.

Ohhh I love that one. The trick to jump scares is to have an awkward dinner scene right before it.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Wes Hicks' death in Scream 5 was really fun for that

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Is it fussy of me to just automatically reject a movie titled "Chapter 1" when it's not, like, an adaptation of a well-know series of novels? It just immediately says to me that I can't and shouldn't expect a real story. It also signals that there's going to be a lot of stupid "lore" that a slasher movie doesn't need.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Every time somebody opens a medicine cabinet I'm ready for a scare, so full points to the multiple movies that know this and subvert that scare.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i accidentally did trap my cat in the closet recently and got a real life spring-loaded-cat jump scare, it was awesome

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

A Fancy Hat posted:

Every time somebody opens a medicine cabinet I'm ready for a scare, so full points to the multiple movies that know this and subvert that scare.

It seems the two versions of this are closing the door to see something in the reflection, or bringing their head back up after washing their face to see something in the reflection.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Jaws actually has two of the all time jump scares.

The shark head “you’re going to need a bigger boat” one AND the night time one with ol’ Ben Gardner’s head jumping out of the hole in his boat.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Lazy_Liberal posted:

i think one of my favorite jump scares (though i hate them) was in BioShock where you just turn around and there's a guy there. no loud noise nonsense.

vv also a favorite. i just love it follows in general vv

If we're talking video games then that velociraptor in Bloodlines.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It seems the two versions of this are closing the door to see something in the reflection, or bringing their head back up after washing their face to see something in the reflection.

It's a totally cliche scare but I liked the one in Evil Dead (2013) just for how... gnarly the jump scare image was. Seeing a spookum or boogermen in the mirror is one thing but seeing your own reflection carving your own face up with glass is scary as hell.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

looks kinda mid.

https://x.com/VinegarSyndrome/status/1763618956232053047?s=20
This is exciting news though. I never expected to be able to get a North American release of Singapore Sling, but by god my dreams have come true. Highly recommened if you havent seen it. It's a gross-out noir love film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWRszGtpVRU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Regarding analogue horror, I do get it - I still think there's real power in CRT TVs for more reasons than just nostalgia. It changes how things look and feel, and it's why I constantly have my own TV networks running that are fed to various TVs around the house. There's a transformative element there, and it's also why tape has come back; when something isn't quite as clear as you're used to it allows the imagination to fill in the gaps.

A lot of little things connect to that as well - as a kid I would poke around the Super Smash Bros. Melee debug menu and would find it equal parts fascinating and unsettling, like you're seeing things you shouldn't be. The Test Map freaked me out because of how wrong it felt. I think that's a lot of the appeal there. I think kids just want there to be magic in the margins of the world.

this is real as hell btw. my interest in horror is basically because of the idea of the hidden uncanny; like one of my big loves is cursed website-type things or whatever solely because the wonder and mystery has been sapped from reality and I have to believe (and participate) in the re-enchantment and re-wilding of a tame world or else what the gently caress is it for!!!!

I’m 33 but I totally get why teenagers are into the Backrooms or haunted Mario 64

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

the thread moved on but I didn’t get a chance to talk about re-enchantment so I had to quote sorry.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Thank you, I love that response. It's something I'm always seeking myself. I love discovering weird and interesting websites.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I remember liking the Liv Tyler one a lot, with the novelty of no or very little music and stingers to accompany moments of dread and scares. Not sure yet about this one.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Or when you expect one and there's another surprise unrelated jump scare.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

That jump scare in Smile when the main character is sitting in her car outside of her sister's house is definitely an all-timer IMO. Up there with The Ring and the girl in the closet.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

MrGreenShirt posted:

That jump scare in Smile when the main character is sitting in her car outside of her sister's house is definitely an all-timer IMO. Up there with The Ring and the girl in the closet.

its too bad the trailers spoiled the hell out of it because it kicks rear end

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
toshio showing up to meow at people in ju-on ftw

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Nun has one (1) amazing jump scare and it's of course spoiled in the trailer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

They're strangers! How much backstory do they need??

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Nun has one (1) amazing jump scare and it's of course spoiled in the trailer.

I quite like THE NUN, Vera Farmiga's sister is adorable and it's mostly shot on location.