Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Nepal to require all Mount Everest climbers to use a tracking chip

quote:

By Lilit Marcus, CNN

Updated: 8:06 PM EST, Thu February 29, 2024

Source: CNN

Ahead of the 2024 Mount Everest season, Nepal has announced a new requirement that all climbers must rent and use tracking chips on their journey.

“Reputed companies were already using them but now it’s been mandatory for all climbers,” Rakesh Gurung, director of Nepal’s department of tourism, told CNN.

“It will cut down search and rescue time in the event of an accident.”

He explains that climbers will pay $10-15 apiece for the chips, which will be sewn into their jackets. Once the climber returns, the chip will be removed, given back to the government, and saved for the next person.

Tracking chips use the global positioning system (GPS) to share information with satellites.

Gurung added that the chips were manufactured in “a European country” but did not specify where or by which company.

The majority of people who try to climb the 8,849-meter (29,032-foot) Mount Everest do so via Nepal, paying $11,000 apiece just for the climbing permit. Adding in the prices of gear, food, supplemental oxygen, Sherpa guides and more, it costs upwards of $35,000 to take on the mountain.

Eight of the world’s ten highest peaks are in Nepal, and the country makes significant tourism revenue from mountaineering.

It can take as long as two months to complete the Mount Everest climb. The weather is suitable for summiting during a very small window, usually in mid-May.

Last year, Nepal gave out a record 478 climbing permits. Twelve climbers were confirmed to have died on the mountain, while another five remain officially missing.

Rescues at “the roof of the world” are risky under even the best of circumstances.

In 2023, 30-year-old Gelje Sherpa passed up his own chance at reaching the summit in order to pull off a daring rescue of a Malaysian climber at the Everest “death zone.”

“It is almost impossible to rescue climbers at that altitude,” Department of Tourism official Bigyan Koirala told Reuters at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

that actually seems like a really good idea

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
smh I can’t believe that Nepal has gone woke.

I’m taking my business to China.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
How many people are going to rip out the chips and leave them at base camp?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I wonder if this could also be used to catch fraudsters

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cojawfee posted:

How many people are going to rip out the chips and leave them at base camp?

I would sew it on someone else's clothes and have them climb in my stead.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Eeyo posted:

In arctic ascent I liked how Alex was saying hey we’ve already got so far, it would be a shame to give up now. And Mikey said that’s never a good reason to keep going. Pretty level-headed.

Lol as a former climber Alex's view here is absolutely insane and I wouldn't be shocked if people stop climbing with him

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
There's also this youtube film where he talks Magnus Mitbo (a former bouldering superstar turned youtuber) into free soloing with him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyya23MPoAI

Super irresponsible stuff tbh

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Yeah I really really don't like that video, it's clear Magnus doesn't want to do it but goes along cause of who Alex is. Made me super uncomfortable watching it. Like I get wanting to push limits but endangering another person because of ego or desire to summit is so irresponsible.

I'm honestly not a huge fan of free soloing, like I get your an adult and can make your own decisions but back in 05 my partner and I were first on scene of a fall (poor gear placement) that turned into a body carryout and it was loving traumatic as hell for everyone involved. Guy was alive for a few minutes after we got there but vitals just crashed and there was nothing we could do and we were both certified wilderness emts. It sucked. And that's the reality, your dead and a bunch of people that didn't ask for this end up traumatized from your fall.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Rojkir posted:

There's also this youtube film where he talks Magnus Mitbo (a former bouldering superstar turned youtuber) into free soloing with him:

yeah i remember watching this when it dropped and thinking that was super hosed up

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
Or they were faking the drama of Magnus being scared to make a more viral video. The guy is an absolute prostitute for clicks.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

gohuskies posted:

Or they were faking the drama of Magnus being scared to make a more viral video. The guy is an absolute prostitute for clicks.

I agree, but I've seen some related interview footage with Alex that kind of contradicts that. Also I saw the video right when it dropped and there was very little controversy about it the first day. All Magnus fanboys were commenting like you the goat Magnus!
Only after some time the poo poo started hitting the fan.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
In order to get your summit counted, you should have to scan your chip at the summit check in station. Also, the check in station is the new summit, you have to stand on top of it for your summit to count. It then prints out a ticket and you have to bring that ticket back down to base camp. If the ticket printer isn't working, sorry, but your summit can not be confirmed.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Cojawfee posted:

In order to get your summit counted, you should have to scan your chip at the summit check in station. Also, the check in station is the new summit, you have to stand on top of it for your summit to count. It then prints out a ticket and you have to bring that ticket back down to base camp. If the ticket printer isn't working, sorry, but your summit can not be confirmed.

extra bonus consideration to ensure that the Sherpa manning the Summit check in station doesn't get a summit ticket while on duty, they must summit the mountain on their own time for it to count.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Also the greenlandian(?) guide in arctic ascent seemed cool. Would totally go on a Greenland expedition with that guy.

Actias
Oct 9, 2012

Rojkir posted:

The most disturbing part is still Alex eating a pepper like it's an apple.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

You might be able to guess I’m working through National Geographic documentaries when I recommend The Mission. I don’t know if it quite fits this thread, but it involves a fairly wealthy young American preparing but not nearly enough for an unwise trip to an exotic locale, getting himself killed immediately, and disrespecting indigenous people. However, it does not have snow or altitude, so ymmv.

This is about the evangelical Christian kid who decided that he was going to convert the Sentinelese people, aka the tribe that remains minimally contacted because (for good reason) they kill almost everyone who tries. It’s a little more complex than the news stories that came out at the time (2018), but the main reason to recommend it is the extremely relevant interviews they managed to get.

https://films.nationalgeographic.com/the-mission

George H.W. oval office posted:

There’s a dude in the film that hung out in the jungle for decades doing missionary work and then out of the blue has a realization what am I doing??? and completely loses his faith. It owns.

Thank you for this recommendation. I am just dying at this dude's wasted life.

30 years with the Pinaha (and he says he loving hated living in the jungle) and he finally gets across the concept of Jesus to them and they're like "Well, OK, I guess if you met him then we believe you," and he's like "Oh, I've never met him" and they're like "Oh, you're dad then? Your granddad" and when they realize he's talking about some dude from 2,000 years ago they're like "you are the dumbest motherfucker we have ever met" and then make fun of him until he leaves and quits being Christian altogether.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Actias posted:

The most disturbing part is still Alex eating a pepper like it's an apple.

Definitely check out Superhot on Hulu then because you’re in for a treat for some real deal insanity

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Comstar posted:

I know this thread is about climbing mountains, does climbing far enough to reach the moon and then crashing on it because the management decided to save some money count:

It might be a push button way to climb a mountain, but the button is of no use if at first you disable their hand. Shares of the company are reported to be down by 40%.

we made a new gbs space thread btw

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4055473&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Thank you for this recommendation. I am just dying at this dude's wasted life.

30 years with the Pinaha (and he says he loving hated living in the jungle) and he finally gets across the concept of Jesus to them and they're like "Well, OK, I guess if you met him then we believe you," and he's like "Oh, I've never met him" and they're like "Oh, you're dad then? Your granddad" and when they realize he's talking about some dude from 2,000 years ago they're like "you are the dumbest motherfucker we have ever met" and then make fun of him until he leaves and quits being Christian altogether.

Far be it from me to interrupt a smug atheist slamfest, but is the cutting revelation at work here "I don't believe in things I haven't personally witnessed"?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

McSpanky posted:

Far be it from me to interrupt a smug atheist slamfest, but is the cutting revelation at work here "I don't believe in things I haven't personally witnessed"?

Mmhmm yep that's what I'm saying, for sure

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

McSpanky posted:

Yes, that exact thing is a major feature of Piraha culture. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirah%E3_people That wasn’t known before the mission because no outsider really spoke the language before he did.

It’s a really interesting mindset, part of their general lack of focus on the past and the future. Definitely recommend the guy’s memoir, Don’t Sleep, There Are Snakes.

While the whole missionary thing didn’t work out so great, I wouldn’t say his life was wasted. He’s done a ton of work on very rare languages, documenting them, developing orthographies, becoming the first outside speaker of Piraha, etc. He’s very famous in linguistics circles, is a college professor, and has an enjoyable feud with Chomsky
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Everett

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 2, 2024

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Anne Whateley posted:

Yes, that exact thing is a major feature of Piraha culture. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirah%E3_people That wasn’t known before the mission because no outsider really spoke the language before he did.

It’s a really interesting mindset, part of their general lack of focus on the past and the future. Definitely recommend the guy’s memoir, Don’t Sleep, There Are Snakes.

While the whole missionary thing didn’t work out so great, I wouldn’t say his life was wasted. He’s done a ton of work on very rare languages, documenting them, developing orthographies, becoming the first outside speaker of Piraha, etc. He’s very famous in linguistics circles, is a college professor, and has an enjoyable feud with Chomsky

which chomsky did he have a feud with?

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Anne Whateley posted:

quote:

In addition to a formal school being introduced to the culture, the documentary also reported that the Brazilian government installed a modern medical clinic, electricity and television in the remote area.

Hmm, I wonder how TV has affected them 🤔

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

McSpanky posted:

PostNouveau posted:

Mmhmm yep that's what I'm saying, for sure

Anne Whateley posted:

absolute banger three-post combo lmao

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

McSpanky posted:

Is it really that weird to lend more credibility to something someone has personally experienced, and less credibility the more removed that experience is?

It's like saying "I met Keanu Reeves and he was a really nice guy" versus "my dad's brother's cousin's former roommate's ex-girlfriend's hairdresser said he met Keanu Reeves and he was a total dick".

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Of course not, that’s why we have the concepts of eyewitness, or gossip, or hearsay. We value it to a degree that it seems obvious, which is why McSpanky was like “no duh.”

The difference is we also believe in, say, the Civil War, and Charlemagne. Even oral cultures do this — Maori people know when their ancestors arrived in New Zealand and can even tell you which boat they sailed on…in 1300. African cultures have/had extensive oral history traditions, so do native Americans, the Greeks, you name it.

Pirahas aren’t buying that, past like one or two levels of transmission.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Society of the Snow is a good time and by good time I mean :stare:

What an absolutely insane survival story. I had always heard about the Andes crash but didn’t know the details other than the ever so famous cannibalism. There’s so much more!

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

George H.W. oval office posted:

Society of the Snow is a good time and by good time I mean :stare:

What an absolutely insane survival story. I had always heard about the A Andes crash but didn’t know the details other than the ever so famous cannibalism. There’s so much more!

A mega wild thing that nobody mentions is that the crash site was some 13 miles from an abandoned hot springs resort, which could have provided refuge and safety from avalanches. Though unless you saw it on the way down, how would you even know? It's just wild they had a perfectly usable refuge, so relatively close.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Zefiel posted:

A mega wild thing that nobody mentions is that the crash site was some 13 miles from an abandoned hot springs resort, which could have provided refuge and safety from avalanches. Though unless you saw it on the way down, how would you even know? It's just wild they had a perfectly usable refuge, so relatively close.

Yeah there's unfortunately quite a lot of tragic stranded in the wilderness stories like that, where they were near or passed something that could of easily saved them but it was impossible to see or the conditions were right to see it or what not. Particular when there's dense forest/jungle, you could be a few dozen meters away from somewhere and not be able to see anything.

Oh this is why if you're hiking it usually good to try and make sure your tent/clothes/pack are brightly coloured and don't blend into your surroundings at all!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

dr_rat posted:

Oh this is why if you're hiking it usually good to try and make sure your tent/clothes/pack are brightly coloured and don't blend into your surroundings at all!

Yeah but that’s how the slasher gets you.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Platystemon posted:

Yeah but that’s how the slasher gets you.

But all I wanted was to smoke a little pot and have some per-marital sex in the woods, what did I ever do to them!!!

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Anne Whateley posted:

Of course not, that’s why we have the concepts of eyewitness, or gossip, or hearsay. We value it to a degree that it seems obvious, which is why McSpanky was like “no duh.”

The difference is we also believe in, say, the Civil War, and Charlemagne. Even oral cultures do this — Maori people know when their ancestors arrived in New Zealand and can even tell you which boat they sailed on…in 1300. African cultures have/had extensive oral history traditions, so do native Americans, the Greeks, you name it.

Pirahas aren’t buying that, past like one or two levels of transmission.

I'm always interested if these kinds of cultures have had stuff like this for hundreds of years, or if it's a recent change to their society. Obviously the many oral cultures you mention have unbroken transmission chains for thousands of years, so clearly have related to story and observed experience in broadly similar ways for a very long time. Clearly even consistently valuing the same stories with no interruption-- more constant even than literate societies which may forget some elements and then return via the written record at some remove. These also typically are larger and distributed societies with shared culture and network.

But some of the elements seen in small bands, like "no counting beyond 3" or disinterest in past/future, or anything not directly experienced-- these are also the last remnants of cultures that have had vast displacements and difficulties in the past few hundred years. So much has been lost, and the human reaction to that over generations might be wildly different than what it used to be. Could we even have any way to know that the Piraha didn't have a big social debate in 1910, maybe in reaction to a horrific disease event or something, and deliberately decide to drop a thousand year oral tradition?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

jemand posted:

Could we even have any way to know that the Piraha didn't have a big social debate in 1910, maybe in reaction to a horrific disease event or something, and deliberately decide to drop a thousand year oral tradition?

*Waking up in the filthy orgy pit for the fifth day in a row*

"we can't keep living like this"

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

jemand posted:

Could we even have any way to know that the Piraha didn't have a big social debate in 1910, maybe in reaction to a horrific disease event or something, and deliberately decide to drop a thousand year oral tradition?
It’s a great question, and one that’s specifically addressed in the book I keep talking about, Don’t Sleep, There Are Snakes, concluding

quote:

“On the other hand, even if such trauma were responsible for cultural change, after a certain amount of time we would have to describe the culture in its current state. England’s current state is undoubtedly a result of earlier stages, but it can no longer be described in terms of the code of chivalry. The evidence from records of the Mura and Pirahã for nearly three hundred years since contact was first made in 1714 strongly supports the conclusion that Pirahã culture has changed little since contact with Europeans.”

Btw, it’s not that they don’t count past 3, it’s that they don’t count period. They don’t even have a “one, two, many” system like some other cultures do.

They also don’t just disbelieve history — they wouldn’t believe in, say, Angkor Wat or lions unless you, a trusted teller, had yourself seen them. But if you did see something, they seem pretty willing to accept that, say, America and skyscrapers exist.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 7, 2024

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Just wild they never developed counting at all. Is there some outwardly obvious concept all of our culturew haven't developed that's holding us back as a species?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

iirc the first solid evidence we have of counting comes after agriculture. it may just be that without a surplus to trade with a nonfamily outgroup, numbers aren't necessary. there's "enough" and "not enough" and thats... enough.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Cactus Ghost posted:

iirc the first solid evidence we have of counting comes after agriculture. it may just be that without a surplus to trade with a nonfamily outgroup, numbers aren't necessary. there's "enough" and "not enough" and thats... enough.

That seems hard to believe. Even within a hunter gatherer society phrases like go grab 5 fishing nets or 6 bowls would be pretty useful. People were definitely using fingers and tally marks way before agriculture so it seems like a pretty big leap that they didn't have any verbal way to count.

Wikipedia has examples well predating agriculture:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histo...%20years%20ago.

Tally sticks date back at least 40000 years. The first written words for numbers seem to come after agriculture but people were definitely counting before that.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Zefiel posted:

perfectly usable refuge, so relatively close.

this is how you anger the ghosts though. i saw it on Yellowjackets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Leviathan Song posted:

That seems hard to believe. Even within a hunter gatherer society phrases like go grab 5 fishing nets or 6 bowls would be pretty useful. People were definitely using fingers and tally marks way before agriculture so it seems like a pretty big leap that they didn't have any verbal way to count.

Wikipedia has examples well predating agriculture:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histo...%20years%20ago.

Tally sticks date back at least 40000 years. The first written words for numbers seem to come after agriculture but people were definitely counting before that.

Likewise people were doing trade long before agriculture. How do you barter if you don't have basic understanding of numbers? "Yes I would like to have a squirrel fur of flintstones, please"