Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I think Evergrace + AC2 on the first year PS2 was my introduction to FromSoft, so I confess I've got no experience with Shadow Tower to compare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
shadow tower is like if evergrace was in a tower and way more dickish but also had a central hub area where you could just leap past entire levels for some reason. you still have to do the levels because you can't beat the last boss without that but there is nothing stopping you from just jumping down and temporarily putting them off

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Yeah no that sounds right. On all counts.

Maybe I'll mess with that sometime. The last time I tried PS2 emulation was close to a decade ago and I just remember that throwing Evergrace at it caused extreme vertigo in me due to how the skyboxes were hosed up at the time.

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013

The Colonel posted:

shadow tower is like if evergrace was in a tower and way more dickish but also had a central hub area where you could just leap past entire levels for some reason. you still have to do the levels because you can't beat the last boss without that but there is nothing stopping you from just jumping down and temporarily putting them off

you can even permanently miss an area, that part in the earth cavern with the guy under the boulder is on a timer, failing to feed a sword to the wall face in time locks you out of there forever.
On Evergrace, it's an extremely unique game, Shalami has a much shorter play though than Darius's, which makes the equipment situation harder.
Once you've beaten the game with both characters and start NG+, the Palmira Bees (little round things that come out of various objects when struck) drop the shadow guideposts much more frequently, at the cost of dropping the stat ups far less, I don't know if you are going to 100% it (which is a major pain BTW), but you unlock character bios for finishing the bestiary and a synopsis for getting all the items.

BrokenLink fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 1, 2024

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i do not think i will be doing evergrace new game + this year no lol

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Evergrace is one of those games I played when it first released and am super glad I did, but the thought of ever playing it again sends shivers down my spine.

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013

Namnesor posted:

Evergrace is one of those games I played when it first released and am super glad I did, but the thought of ever playing it again sends shivers down my spine.

I had more time as a kid and just sat down and got everything, still tickles me that the ultimate prize is having the story explained to you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/39039/MONSTER_HUNTER_20TH_ANNIVERSARY_COMPLETE_PACK/ steams has a big sale bundle on the two most recent monster hunter games + their expacs (plus the pokemon-esque spinoff) if you want an excuse to get into the series

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Is there “Last time on FF7R…” sequence at the start of rebirth

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

GateOfD posted:

Is there “Last time on FF7R…” sequence at the start of rebirth

It's an option on the start menu which is neat

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Endorph posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/39039/MONSTER_HUNTER_20TH_ANNIVERSARY_COMPLETE_PACK/ steams has a big sale bundle on the two most recent monster hunter games + their expacs (plus the pokemon-esque spinoff) if you want an excuse to get into the series

This would be really tempting if I didn't have a backlog the size of this thread and Fate/Samurai Remnant wasn't eating away my free hours.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

This would be really tempting if I didn't have a backlog the size of this thread and Fate/Samurai Remnant wasn't eating away my free hours.

I've got Fate/Samurai Remnant but still haven't played it. Will this reminder be enough to actually play it? God only knows.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Lord, help me that I don't lose Unicorn Overlord to my backlog :pray:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Good games get finished, bad games get tossed off the volcano until they come back with a sequel

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
New dungeon crawler RPG of sorts apparently coming soon'ish in Q2: Dawn of the Ashen Queen

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2809820/Dawn_of_the_Ashen_Queen/

quote:

"Dawn of the Ashen Queen" is a classic grid-based, first-person dungeon crawler reminiscent of 90s RPG games. Set out with your party to reveal the legacy of a millennia-old curse in a narrative-rich experience. Explore the colorful world of Eshavon, unearth its many secrets and fight dangerous foes sent out to stop you on your mission.

Explore your Fate

Three years have passed since Eshavon was devastated during the Grand War. A shaky truce has been concluded between the Darok tribes from the north and the Imperial Kingdom south of the Blistering Mountains. As an Emissary of the Grand Marshal, you are spreading his will, tasked to oversee the reconstruction.

But as you visit one of the border towns, a surprise attack devastates the city and cuts you off from the rest of the empire. Together with a band of unlikely allies coming to your aid, it is now upon you to avert the danger to the empire and discover a plot that threatens not just your earthly kingdom but the very existence of the entire continent itself.

Key Features

In-depth RPG character creation with multiple races, classes and traits, a point-based ability system and several class-based skill trees.
3 NPCs join your party throughout the game, all with their own personality.
Fleshed-out narrative driven gameplay with text-based cutscenes, dialogues and party banter bringing life to the world and let you experience an immersive story with twists and turns.
Plenty of secrets wait for you to get discovered: secret doors, illusionary walls and puzzles to test your wits. But beware of devious traps, which lure careless explorers into their death.
Real-time based combat where you fight your foes with a wide array of sharp weapons, powerful spells and cunning abilities.
Explore the diverse world of Eshavon: Travel through lush forests, deep dark caverns, blistering ice mountains, mysterious crypts, fog-covered woods, ancient halls of a long-forgotten race and plenty of other colorful environments.

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

Levantine posted:

The game really revels in excess and silly little bits like that and I love it. I hope that the sequel is a Portrait of Ruin tag-team style thing too. Hero/Baker-Hero who is arguably way more terrifying than the Hero.

Astlibra (and DLC) was, cognitively, one of the most difficult to parse experiences I have ever had in my entire loving life. Everything about these games screams trash tier shovelware. They look like poo poo. They are literally made of Getting Over It with Bennet Foddy level assets and royalty free stock sounds/music. They start off so loving slow and take days to explain the generic jrpg anime harem plotline ... and then they just go extremely loving hard and are really fun for 99% of their entire runtime?

What the gently caress. Loved both of them. Go play them. 10/10 games more deserving of a remake than FF7

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Neat, it looks a lot like Legend of Grimrock, which I also loved. I've looked for more games similar to them, and this is the closest I've seen.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
royalty free audio is hardly a mark of a lack of quality

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sally Sprodgkin posted:

Astlibra (and DLC) was, cognitively, one of the most difficult to parse experiences I have ever had in my entire loving life. Everything about these games screams trash tier shovelware. They look like poo poo. They are literally made of Getting Over It with Bennet Foddy level assets and royalty free stock sounds/music. They start off so loving slow and take days to explain the generic jrpg anime harem plotline ... and then they just go extremely loving hard and are really fun for 99% of their entire runtime?

What the gently caress. Loved both of them. Go play them. 10/10 games more deserving of a remake than FF7

I mean honestly the answer is that none of those things are necessarily bad. (Well, maybe the pacing) A game doesn't need to have a giant budget or a ton of unique assets to be fun if it is well executed.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Colonel posted:

royalty free audio is hardly a mark of a lack of quality
i played The Sinking City last month and it used Kevin McLeod music. so yeah, even AAA games go to that well

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I dont think a Frogwares game has ever even reached a single A lol

Sally Sprodgkin
May 23, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I mean honestly the answer is that none of those things are necessarily bad. (Well, maybe the pacing) A game doesn't need to have a giant budget or a ton of unique assets to be fun if it is well executed.

Yeah for sure. I guess a better way to put it might be that just shares a similar look/feel with games that do happen to be bad flash games for the most part (Newgrounds-core, I guess you could call it?), so it triggers this reaction in my brain telling me it should be bad while actually being good. This can lead to micro strokes.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
With flash dying, we're gonna see a wave of nostalgia for Newgrounds-core games, as well as the affiliates like Armor Games-core and Kongregate-core

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
That's already happening. I can think of multiple engine-port compilations of that 2000s era Flash title on sale on Steam already. Sonny got ported back in 2017.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
newgrounds basically just became an indie publisher and i'm pretty sure they did stuff to make sure a lot of games on the site keep running

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

*crying* this game didnt cost 300 billion dollars to make and it has Anime in it, why did i like it

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

great thing about the steam version of astlibra gaiden is keizo more than doubled the length of the old freeware version which meant he got to shove in a bunch more hot royalty free jams

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
It's so funny because there's like maybe 2 actual AAA RPG series in existence

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i miss the newgrounds era of internet animation

i barely played the games there tbh. though i did experience some FF7 fancartoons on there in the 2000s that had fake scripted "battles" where you chose multiple choice from a menu

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I finished Persona 3 Reload and thought it was very good, have some more thoughts in the persona thread but P3 is definitely solidified as the best modern persona for me.

Think I might play a Tales game or something next since I haven’t played any of the ones before Berseria in a really long time.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The 7th Guest posted:

i miss the newgrounds era of internet animation

i barely played the games there tbh. though i did experience some FF7 fancartoons on there in the 2000s that had fake scripted "battles" where you chose multiple choice from a menu

final fantasy is an rpg

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

Meowywitch posted:

final fantasy is an rpg

I thought I'd purged that particular earworm years ago, thanks for summoning it back.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

lets hang out posted:

great thing about the steam version of astlibra gaiden is keizo more than doubled the length of the old freeware version which meant he got to shove in a bunch more hot royalty free jams

And man did he pick some good ones. This one is my personal favorite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhn-AlKixLY

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

fatsleepycat posted:

I thought I'd purged that particular earworm years ago, thanks for summoning it back.
shiggity shiggity schwah

what you got to play idiot

its called mario twins. they look the same. whaow

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Junpei posted:

With flash dying, we're gonna see a wave of nostalgia for Newgrounds-core games, as well as the affiliates like Armor Games-core and Kongregate-core

It's time for this thread to become exclusively about Epic Battle Fantasy

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
been trying out various crt shaders presets on both reshade and retroarch, and gd the retroarch UI is so crap to do any sort of fine tuning

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

gd the retroarch UI is so crap

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Honest Thief posted:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Honest Thief posted:

the most hosed up thing is that on the rg353m i have the text is either wayy too small or wayyy too big on RA menus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

... I need to get the retroit pocket 4