Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I really love the side quest where Red gets mad that our chocobo has a better nose than him. He's trying to play it cool so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
final boss of Chapter 2 nearly kicked my rear end too just now. On the other hand I appreciate that the game makes me use even the weakest potions and not have a huge hoard of consumables I never touch.

I think I've narrowed my combat problems to forgetting to block/dodge/move out of the way and when to use the R1 synergies

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

A party can only have one cat and dog at a time, so by deductive logic

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

A party can only have one cat and dog at a time, so by deductive logic

... You know this is genuinely the most compelling argument to the whole thing I've ever seen. Party already has a cat. Why would they have two cats?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ImpAtom posted:

The Jenova thing is a shot-for-shot remake. Are you maybe remembering the flash to Jenova in the Shinra Building?

Sorry, to be more specific it was Jenova's new design. Looking at them both side-by-side they are very similar, but the original had a little bit more going on. The glowing eye, the weird eyeballs, and the more fleshy coloration on the things around her made it seem a bit more unsettling and harder to parse. Oh and circuitry, what used to look like IDE cables in the original are now hair. Also the blue and purplish color scheme helped. Comparison shots:

Dunno, for whatever reason, this scene didn't do it for me in the same way as the original.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

Sorry, to be more specific it was Jenova's new design. Looking at them both side-by-side they are very similar, but the original had a little bit more going on. The glowing eye, the weird eyeballs, and the more fleshy coloration on the things around her made it seem a bit more unsettling and harder to parse. Oh and circuitry, what used to look like IDE cables in the original are now hair. Also the blue and purplish color scheme helped. Comparison shots:

Dunno, for whatever reason, this scene didn't do it for me in the same way as the original.

It may simply be you knew it was coming, it's a bit hard to judge that sort of thing. On one hand the original does look freakier, but on the other hand we're supposed to believe a bunch of scientists thought THAT was a Cetra so I can see why they toned it back a bit. I do like the creepy eyeballs more though.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

oh yeah

mist potions are the coolest loving thing they've added in this game every rpg with consumable healing should have them

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

ImpAtom posted:

It may simply be you knew it was coming, it's a bit hard to judge that sort of thing. On one hand the original does look freakier, but on the other hand we're supposed to believe a bunch of scientists thought THAT was a Cetra so I can see why they toned it back a bit. I do like the creepy eyeballs more though.

Certainly possible. I always assumed that she originally looked like a human but her mutations were Hojo's fault because Hojo is just the worst.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I’ve also just reached the Junon region and with the way this place looks I half expect to see pilot C4-621 flying overhead

It's just a job 621.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Hold up what is the difference between Barrier/Manaward and Protect/Shell

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Putting Ubisoft map slop in FF7 was a good idea honestly. My lizard brain enjoys it.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

Wait, hold on, there's entirely different dialogue for Yuffie recruitment if you wait until you're controlling Cid late in the game to recruit her?!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

Hold up what is the difference between Barrier/Manaward and Protect/Shell

Protect/Shell is longer lasting and is just an increase. Barrier/Manaward has a significantly reduced lifespan but reduces damage by half. Until you get a bunch of lifespan boosters, Protect is better for general use, while Barrier is better if you know a big attack is coming up.

ZCKaiser posted:

Wait, hold on, there's entirely different dialogue for Yuffie recruitment if you wait until you're controlling Cid late in the game to recruit her?!

Yep. Vincent too, though it's 95% the same there except Cid talking about how he used to work for Shinra too.

It's really funny if you consider that it means Cloud and Tifa come back and suddenly there's an overexcited ninja and a vampire just hanging around.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Mar 1, 2024

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

The cool thing regarding yuffie in this game is that they redid the dialogue chain, which is a fun nod to the original and would be even better IF YUFFIE DIDN'T JUST JOIN EVEN IF YOU TELL HER TO gently caress OFF

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Failboattootoot posted:

The original felt like a Shirow Masamune reference in some ways, looking at it now.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

If you recruit Yuffie on disc 2 when Tifa is party leader, she calls Tifa "Boobs"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Harrow posted:

Yeah the weapon upgrade trees from Remake are gone, replaced with the folios. This time, you just equip weapon skills. The skills are automatically learned as your weapon levels up, the "auto-upgrade" just automatically equips skills to your specification.

This is a shame for me. I liked keeping the buster sword up to the task. I'm not far into folios yet tho.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JBP posted:

This is a shame for me. I liked keeping the buster sword up to the task. I'm not far into folios yet tho.

You still can! The weapons all level up to remain viable. All they really did was automate the leveling process for everything that wasn't special skill.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

DO IT TO IT posted:

If you recruit Yuffie on disc 2 when Tifa is party leader, she calls Tifa "Boobs"

Much like "Aerith", Tifa's name as rendered in the code of the original game is "Boobs".

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
I'm convinced the Mako vacuum's were a troll. Now that I'm in the game proper, this game respects the poo poo out of your time and is brimming with QoL. I love being able to just touch my Chocobo and bam I'm on.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I am only ever going to finish maybe 20% of this game, oh my god.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Skeezy posted:

Putting Ubisoft map slop in FF7 was a good idea honestly. My lizard brain enjoys it.

Same. The FF7R world is also just very aesthetically neat in a way that makes wandering around in it inherently enjoyable to me.

The person who mentioned the climbing/jumping and some chocobo stuff being awkward was correct, but you sort of get used to it. And the chocobos really haul rear end. Sometimes too much, so I'll run into a question mark and then slam on the brakes and slowly walk backwards to get the item.

The crafting is also enjoyable in a pure lizard-brain way. But my enjoyment of all the open-world stuff completely hinges on me just thinking it's cool as hell to wander around "fancy graphics FF7 world," and the open world stuff is an excuse to do that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
There are so many different things upgrading and earning their own forms of xp in this game I kind of hate how much of it there is.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Snap, didn't realize who the narrator was until the recap.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I've been playing with the combat set to classic this time and I'm finding it a lot more enjoyable compared to active or normal or whatever it's called.

I like how it's more of a blend of the two combat types and if I find the AI is taking too long to do something i can dynamically take over and spam attack or whatever.

Was it the same in Remake and did it make things easier? I never managed to beat the secret or endgame bosses because I always felt I was too poo poo at the combat when it was set to the standard action mode (and i was too stubborn to ever try classic).

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
Anyone know if the Kupo Charm needs to be on Cloud to get extra mats or can anyone wear it?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

In Junon and lmfao at the bald bar, GOTY

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I might switch to maining Aerith full-time. Something about melee combat in this game just doesn’t gel with me. Or should I be regularly swapping control between characters?

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Question about materia: where the ell are elemental, all or added effect materia? Haven't found any and am now in coral

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Son of Rodney posted:

Question about materia: where the ell are elemental, all or added effect materia? Haven't found any and am now in coral

Have you been doing Chadley's stuff? You should have gotten at least one Elemental material already from one of his challenge fights

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Chadley needs to SHUT THE gently caress UP my GOD. You do not have to loving call me and tell me you got some data, let's just assume you did I'm gonna throw your stupid rear end cell phone in the loving SWAMP.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Holy poo poo (Chapter 4 sidequest), these kids hanging out in the zone so polluted with industrial runoff that just being there turns you into a frog is both loving hilarious and incredibly true

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Pollyanna posted:

I might switch to maining Aerith full-time. Something about melee combat in this game just doesn’t gel with me. Or should I be regularly swapping control between characters?

You should be swapping yeah. There's more of an incentive now too seeing as you build meters for synergies by using atb commands.

Got a day off due to snow today, 15 hours into the game and I'm about half way through the Junon area. This game is loving huge. I'm starting to think I should cut my losses on these activities, but the protorelic quest seems super interesting, I want to have an easier fight against the summon so I'm doing those, and I just unlocked the boss fiend for the area and like... I wanna do that all in the next area too at least and that's gonna take forever!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

Holy poo poo (Chapter 4 sidequest), these kids hanging out in the zone so polluted with industrial runoff that just being there turns you into a frog is both loving hilarious and incredibly true

Not going to lie, if there was a space I could go and turn into a frog for a while I'd probably hang out there too, grown rear end adult or no.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Lmao @ the junon character return

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Shoehead posted:

You should be swapping yeah. There's more of an incentive now too seeing as you build meters for synergies by using atb commands.

Got a day off due to snow today, 15 hours into the game and I'm about half way through the Junon area. This game is loving huge. I'm starting to think I should cut my losses on these activities, but the protorelic quest seems super interesting, I want to have an easier fight against the summon so I'm doing those, and I just unlocked the boss fiend for the area and like... I wanna do that all in the next area too at least and that's gonna take forever!

I'm trying to be careful to not do what I did with Ghost of Tsushima and do literally every side content in each zone and burn myself out. I'm probably doing like 3-4 hours of side quests in each so far before moving forward (currently at 13 hours or so and near the end of chapter 4).

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Help I'm dying of Too Much Game and it owns

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
"Midgar Zolem" was better and didn't need fixing :colbert:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It need fixing because it's wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Every time I feel like I’m gonna get burnt out on side poo poo, something awesome happens that makes me keep doing it.