Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

fuctifino posted:

He's now implying that the message "From the Rivers to the Sea" being beamed on Parliament was a call for violent jihad.

From the river thames to the north sea?

Depending on which way you go that could be either quite easy or quite hard. I could probably jihad part of southend beach myself.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

EvilHawk posted:

Sorry I should have clarified, "Other than being a Lib Dem, what was wrong with the Lib Dem candidate?"

Finishing 5th in a race where the two major parties have basically hosed off is hilariously embarrassing for them.

It’s just not a Lib Dem area, pretty much. The last two elections before this one the Lib Dems polled in the single digits and the election before that they barely crested 10%. In by-elections the Lib Dems’ specialty is promising a candidate who will be focused on local issues, but that air was swallowed up by the independent candidates who were promising the same thing. I’d guess that Tully, the independent candidate is better known in the community (a cursory Google suggests he runs a garage with his name on it, potentially giving him some decent name recognition). So voters who couldn’t stand Galloway had a “better” option than the Lib Dems.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Depending on which way you go that could be either quite easy or quite hard. I could probably jihad part of southend beach myself.

I mean at this point, Rishi's best chance of winning the next general election is probably banning millions of people from being able to vote

[edit]
Although if he claims there are millions of jihadists in the UK, it does make it more likely that we'll be invaded by the USA

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 1, 2024

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
They've all got their knickers in a twist.

I live by the river (10-15m depending on how high it's rising) but I'm quite a long way from the sea.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

OwlFancier posted:

from the thames down south to the northern seas
scotland will be free

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

kingturnip posted:

I mean at this point, Rishi's best chance of winning the next general election is probably banning millions of people from being able to vote

[edit]
Although if he claims there are millions of jihadists in the UK, it does make it more likely that we'll be invaded by the USA

no need the us will just wave trading contracts with the uk because i don't think they can look that in the mouth just yet

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

Kate embraced the light of Allah, like Diana before her, and thus had to be terminated
Dr Kesvani strikes again.

Hard to find any hard facts about how many votes were postal (at least for my pudding brain it is), and the fact the accusation is being boosted by Reform and Farage makes me want to double check if it's actually the case, or if some freeman of the land has got the wrong end of the stick.

Could be that the new photo ID law has led a ton of people to vote remotely instead.

Ghosts Love Wubs
Oct 9, 2009
Apparently from what I have found 13,460 postal votes were cast in Rochdale, so around 45%~ of votes cast. Which is more than likely up from the GE19 percentages, but that's half expected given the big push to do postal voting when we were in the middle of Covid times. It's very unlikely that there's much funny business going on considering Postal Votes go through a fairly well tested process of being counted. It's likely just a case of sour grapes and typical conspiracy thinking unfortunately.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
*spends half a century doing gently caress all for working people and watching inequality grow with a hearty chuckle, lights cigar with $20 note and puts both cigar and £20 note on parliamentary expenses*

*blames immigrants for country falling apart for ~30 years*

*loots country of everything that made it worth living in for self and mates*

*paints beardy old social democrat who wishes to end homelessness and food poverty as an extremist threat to national security and also somehow history's most virulent anti-semite*

*fans flames of culture wars at every opportunity like a 5 year old problem child with dog shite on a stick*

*gassp* OOH NO, no!!! we must stop this extremism it is a threat to our demotratsy and way of life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :ohdear:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ghosts Love Wubs posted:

Apparently from what I have found 13,460 postal votes were cast in Rochdale, so around 45%~ of votes cast. Which is more than likely up from the GE19 percentages, but that's half expected given the big push to do postal voting when we were in the middle of Covid times. It's very unlikely that there's much funny business going on considering Postal Votes go through a fairly well tested process of being counted. It's likely just a case of sour grapes and typical conspiracy thinking unfortunately.

I'd also expect the number of postal votes to go up because you don't need photo ID to postal vote.

Which I'm sure they'll work to change.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

I'm married to four women and have to commute everywhere by bicycle lane :mad:

just wanted to say I've always hated you boris

Ghosts Love Wubs
Oct 9, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

I'd also expect the number of postal votes to go up because you don't need photo ID to postal vote.

Which I'm sure they'll work to change.

I would definitely hope more people register to vote by post just to avoid the photo ID scheme. As someone who works in the realm of elections I can say I have not heard any rumbles about plans to do so, so far its mostly just back patting on a "job well done" with the Photo ID scheme irritatingly.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i mean yes people hailed taxis around the same time people hailed hitler

but they were very different gestures

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

crispix posted:

i mean yes people hailed taxis around the same time people hailed hitler

but they were very different gestures

Not if our taxi drivers ran the country

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Blimey. Just flicking through the usual weekly Andrew “Brillo Pad” Neil moanfest in the Mail and, well, it ends like this…

The times they are a changing!!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

happyhippy posted:

Jews have space lasers.
Muslims have ray guns.

But during
National Brotherhood Week...

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Bobstar posted:

But during

In the name of Kane! :ohdear:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/georgegalloway/status/1763740228190114154?s=20

It's going to be a funny few months

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

if rishi was really worried about galloway being an mp he could just call a general election right?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sebzilla posted:

It's going to be a funny few months
Yeah the man is a bawbag in a brimmed hat but nobody else in Parliament would be throwing that at Rishi.

Bobstar posted:

But during
Ah, the week they shot and killed Malcolm on the first day of.

Ghosts Love Wubs posted:

I would definitely hope more people register to vote by post just to avoid the photo ID scheme. As someone who works in the realm of elections I can say I have not heard any rumbles about plans to do so, so far its mostly just back patting on a "job well done" with the Photo ID scheme irritatingly.
I'm registered for postal since it got brought in. I'm sure that most of the volunteers are lovely people but I don't want them seeing any of my ID.

Tesseraction posted:

just wanted to say I've always hated you boris

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Easier to call for martial law and elections to be delayed once they got the ban in for protests.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Of course I would never be cynical about the motivations of George Galloway, but it does seem that a general election soon would be his best chances of keeping the seat, all the press he got being fresh in people's minds and Labour having less time to select an alternative candidate and all

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

All the usual vicious hacks coming over all delicate wilting wallflowers today because an elected politician and some voters told one of their pals where to shove his questions is extremely loving funny

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

It's a dead giveaway someone is Canadian

Catching up on the thread and got confused, thought it was very statistical horny posting about the Oompa Loompa

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

Easier to call for martial law and elections to be delayed once they got the ban in for protests.

We are experiencing a full scale invasion by small boat refugees. Gotta declare martial law now.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Oh God. George retweeting Matt Le Tissier and I agree with them.

:gary:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The more that time passes, the more I keep confusing him with Matt LeBlanc.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Guavanaut posted:

They're a similar size these days

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
It's amazing to see just how rattled "the establishment" is over Galloway.
It's wall to wall "this is the end of life as we know it, the end of democracy, of British values" from politicians to 'news' media.
I can't recall ever seeing anything like it, not even the anti-Corbyn stuff.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Every other candidate self-implodes over racist conspiracy theory posts and unsolicited dick pics.
George:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

There is an easy way to tell them apart.

Matt LeBlanc has aged gracefully and tried to embrace and normalise aging and that people shouldn't feel ashamed of not staying the same body type they had in their 20's/30's.

While Matt Le Tisser is going around saying that Bin Laden was a sleeper Mossad agent and Jews did 9/11.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Very much a Naomi Klein/Naomi Wolf doppelganger scenario going on there.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Guavanaut posted:

Very much a Naomi Klein/Naomi Wolf doppelganger scenario going on there.

If your Matt be Le Blanc
You’re looking real swank
If your Matt be Le Tissier
Oh buddy, that’s piss-tier.

(If your Matthew be Lees,
More board games please)

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Big naan report from local Iceland.

No naan, but they do a paneer masala which was quite nice.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
the loving gall of all these Tories and sensible big brains hand wringing over Galloway like he's just committed a terrorism

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I mean, who would want to be in UK national politics in a major party right now?

I can totally get local politics for some people, but going into national stuff you're either a shill, daft as a brush, or naive as hell.

Speaking of naan bread. I recommend trying to make it. It's super easy. Yoghurt, self rising flour, salt, ghee, oil or butter to brush with after if you like.

You can just mix it all, form the dough into flat shapes and then cook it in a pan.

You can get fancier from there brushing it with oil, frying garlic and chilli's and adding them, doing it in a pizza oven etc. totally worth it.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Seconding this. My wife started making flatbreads of all types and I was staggered at
A) how easy it is
B) how delicious they are compared to shop bought

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The police are acting even more heavy handed at today's protests after Rishi's speech yesterday
https://twitter.com/Grouse_Beater/status/1763910485575970902

It was apparently from the first protest this year
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...nocked-her-over

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 2, 2024

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

smellmycheese posted:

Seconding this. My wife started making flatbreads of all types and I was staggered at
A) how easy it is
B) how delicious they are compared to shop bought

Homemade chapati are a terrifying mixture of incredibly easy to make and an effective platform with which to mainline ghee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mebh
May 10, 2010

My current favorite is to combine sliced garlic, ghee, pepper and those tiny Indian green chillies and spread it on top of the naan before baking it. So. So good.