Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Fabulousity posted:

Sorry, had to add one thing:

:trumppop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Arguments done. I do not want to hear a Trump lawyer say "daddy" ever again.

Judge says he'll try for an answer within 2 weeks

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Lol two weeks just like I said

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah but thats love though, it always ends in tears in someways, its how you know its real.

My wife & I have put 3 dogs and 9 cats in the ground in our 35 years...

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

mobby_6kl posted:

She also said she'd fire anyone on her team for sleeping with a colleague but now it's cool and good
...what?

like where are you getting that

quote:

I will certainly not be choosing to date people that work under me.

We are at a place in society where things happen in people’s relationships — husbands and wives sometimes, there are outside relationships. I don’t think that that’s what the community is concerned about. Although there might be a moral breaking in that.

I think that what citizens are really, really concerned about is if you chose to have inappropriate contact with employees.
That's the interview when she was running for DA and it was about the previous DA allegations

I don't think she said "I'd fire anyone on my team for loving a coworker" because oh boy, you'd have like 0 people in any DA office then

lawyers gently caress a lot, is what I'm getting at

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 1, 2024

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Youth Decay posted:

What does this have to do with anything

A similar situation is appearing with a defense witness, whose original testimony confidently asserted that Wade/Willis had a relationship in 2019, but who refused to say so on the stand.

The dismissal of phone tower data is another area where the state is doing a 180 now that they are the subject of investigation - when the state is bringing charges, tower data is highly reliable and damning to defense's alibis. As the subject of scrutiny, the state is now arguing that tower data is vague, unreliable, and proves nothing.

Honestly we should probably be bringing these cases against the state all the time, constantly stress-testing the state's arguments about the value of various kinds of evidence for defense to use later.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Serious_Cyclone posted:

A similar situation is appearing with a defense witness, whose original testimony confidently asserted that Wade/Willis had a relationship in 2019, but who refused to say so on the stand.

The dismissal of phone tower data is another area where the state is doing a 180 now that they are the subject of investigation - when the state is bringing charges, tower data is highly reliable and damning to defense's alibis. As the subject of scrutiny, the state is now arguing that tower data is vague, unreliable, and proves nothing.

Honestly we should probably be bringing these cases against the state all the time, constantly stress-testing the state's arguments about the value of various kinds of evidence for defense to use later.

No but you see, the DA is going after someone we hate this time, so we should reflexively attack and ignore the many, many ways DAs across the country abuse their power.

I wish her all luck in prosecuting the orange clown, but it doesn't mean that she's a good person, or that she hasn't used the massive "straight to jail" power Georgia's RICO statute offers to screw over a lot of people.

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

Serious_Cyclone posted:

How did these terrible lawyers pull a reverse uno card and put the D.A. on the stand anyway? There is no way that this is a normal thing.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Fabulousity posted:

Sorry, had to add one thing:

I remember Iwo Trumba. o7

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Fani Willis chose to testify

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

No but you see, the DA is going after someone we hate this time, so we should reflexively attack and ignore the many, many ways DAs across the country abuse their power.

I wish her all luck in prosecuting the orange clown, but it doesn't mean that she's a good person, or that she hasn't used the massive "straight to jail" power Georgia's RICO statute offers to screw over a lot of people.
...what?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

If neither of them get removed it's just going to be defense lawyers endlessly bringing up this poo poo in the actual trial, all it takes is one juror thinking the prosecution is corrupt. It doesn't matter if it gets stricken in objections the jury will still hear it over and over.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

big nipples big life posted:

If neither of them get removed it's just going to be defense lawyers endlessly bringing up this poo poo in the actual trial, all it takes is one juror thinking the prosecution is corrupt. It doesn't matter if it gets stricken in objections the jury will still hear it over and over.

people itt love speculating that random chuds will ruin juries but so far Trump is 0 for 2

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

And this is basically the entire defense's argument. That even if nothing happened, their unproven accusations mean that its been tainted anyway.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I'm not a lawyer but are non-sworn text messages to attorneys 'testimony'? Also I'd like to know how the tower data is damning to the alibis? What exactly does it prove?

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Yeah this thread is all-in on defending the cops as heroes, for this case specifically. It's weird.

I anticipate the judge will rule in favor of Wade/Willis, since the defense did a terrible job of actually proving anything. Which is probably the correct outcome - for me, the whole thing is moot if you can demonstrably show that Wade stands to make more money in private practice than he does as a member of Willis's team. Any issue about intent falls apart in that case. But the defense has inadvertently created a treasure trove of statements from the state arguing against tools they have used to bullshit juries for years, and I suspect that statements made in this case will show up, over and over again, in defense arguments when state prosecutors try to go back to business as usual.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

Bone Crimes posted:

Also I'd like to know how the tower data is damning to the alibis? What exactly does it prove?

As a prosecutor, the state likes to pretend that tower data works like a procedural cop show and pinpoints the exact place and time that a subject of scrutiny was present. As a subject of scrutiny, the state is now arguing that tower data does no such thing.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

oh cool another "you want to kiss and hug cops" derail.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
I want them to do a documentary one day about every time Trump manages to wriggle out of something an ordinary person would be nailed to the wall for. The guy sucks for sure but man is he a master at avoiding consequences.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

TheAgent posted:

And this is basically the entire defense's argument. That even if nothing happened, their unproven accusations mean that its been tainted anyway.

But something did happen, that isn't in question. The only question is when it started and was any shady money poo poo going on and neither side has any actual evidence proving or disproving anything on both of those.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

As a (hopefully) ordinary person, I am just glad I don't have to wriggle my way out of 91 criminal charges and various multi-million dollar fines.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

NoiseAnnoys posted:

Phone call for Amanda Hugandkiss. Is there Amanda Hugandkiss here?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Serious_Cyclone posted:

No but Syed is for sure innocent because that nice Podcast lady convinced me that cell data is very unreliable

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

NoiseAnnoys posted:

There will be no serious consequences for the prosecution in this case, and simultaneously the state had to give up statements on the value of evidence that will be useful for defendants trying to protect themselves from an out of control carceral system of justice.

How is that not a win-win?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
It's possible to enjoy the irony of a DA's office arguing for exclusion of dubious evidence, and still think Team Trump has nothing here and the trial should go forward.

Usually it's the DA arguing for inclusion of dubious evidence.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

gently caress cops but i also want those cops to gently caress trump and I don't want them to gently caress it up. simple as

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

NoiseAnnoys posted:

but upthread people assured me that it's dumb to vote!?

bad example considering who ron's opponent was... lol

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

gently caress cops but i also want those cops to gently caress trump and I don't want them to gently caress it up. simple as

:emptyquote:

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Nvm

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Serious_Cyclone posted:

There will be no serious consequences for the prosecution in this case, and simultaneously the state had to give up statements on the value of evidence that will be useful for defendants trying to protect themselves from an out of control carceral system of justice.

How is that not a win-win?

Because it doesn't work the way you're saying. Even if a DA says "Cell phone tower information is not viable in this situation" it doesn't stop them from bringing it forth in another situations where the facts are different. This doesn't even have to be Pure Evil Corruption either, it's entirely possible for something to be a viable tool but not in all circumstances.

Trying to paint this as "And the dumb cops totally torpedoed their own statements, LOL" is silly because things don't work that way.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

I was watching the zoom stream and the state lawyer was loving around with his powerpoint during that, which you can't see in the twitter video. It wasn't necessarily as bad as it looks.

That said, the state lawyer was very obviously nervous and it wasn't a great look.

kazil fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 1, 2024

nobodygetshurt
Dec 11, 2007

everyone please start all posts in the following format

quote:

Disclaimer: ACAB ACAB ACAB
Reason for cheering on legal case, even though all DA's fall under ACAB:
Content: [Post Content (humor optional, as long as you elaborate on your ACAB creds in case people have forgotten about how ACAB you are)]
Post-Disclaimer: ACAB ACAB ACAB

thank you

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

Because it doesn't work the way you're saying. Even if a DA says "Cell phone tower information is not viable in this situation" it doesn't stop them from bringing it forth in another situations where the facts are different. This doesn't even have to be Pure Evil Corruption either, it's entirely possible for something to be a viable tool but not in all circumstances.

Trying to paint this as "And the dumb cops totally torpedoed their own statements, LOL" is silly because things don't work that way.

The state can bring it forth, and the defense can bring forth prior statements from the state in this case where they dismissed the evidence as valueless. If there's a difference in context in the way the evidence is being applied that affects its value, it's a legitimate issue to hash out in the courtroom.

Some people are already referring to it as a "Fani motion" (lol): https://bsky.app/profile/nobodyinteresting.bsky.social/post/3kmltjfwmkd2q

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Dogs have very elastic genes, we just need to breed the oldest dogs selectively and we should get some 50 year old dogs in 25 years or so

I support IVF so that some day I can legally vote for a himan/dog chimera.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

When it came out that Willis underpaid Wade, I'm not sure why this farce continued? The allegation is that she gave kickbacks to her sexual partner. (What a phrase) This clearly isn't true.

How often they presumably spent time together outside of work is pretty immaterial.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Serious_Cyclone posted:

The state can bring it forth, and the defense can bring forth prior statements from the state in this case where they dismissed the evidence as valueless. If there's a difference in context in the way the evidence is being applied that affects its value, it's a legitimate issue to hash out in the courtroom.

Some people are already referring to it as a "Fani motion" (lol): https://bsky.app/profile/nobodyinteresting.bsky.social/post/3kmltjfwmkd2q

Some people being a random bluesky post isn't particularly compelling, no. If this suddenly turns around and becomes a real thing then I'll eat hat, but as it stands I'm pretty sure my head'll stay warm.

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

I'm in disguise, you stupid tart!

Esplanade posted:

I support IVF so that some day I can legally vote for a himan/dog chimera.

Hymen-dog-chimera you say? I'm gonna need someone to help me visualize this before I can commit to an opinion.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Some people being a random bluesky post isn't particularly compelling, no.

I'm like 90% certain that's the same guy that said Merchant was a super good lawyer at digging up dirt fwiw

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

Some people being a random bluesky post isn't particularly compelling, no.

I'm sorry, I didn't make it clear that I'm uninterested in trying to convince you, personally, of anything in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

But something did happen, that isn't in question. The only question is when it started and was any shady money poo poo going on and neither side has any actual evidence proving or disproving anything on both of those.
Having a relationship isn't automatically disqualifying. The defense argued that Wade/Willis created a scheme to enrich themselves, which would be improper. Why they are focused on the start of the relationship now is to possibly prove that Wade/Willis lied on the stand, another reason to disqualify them.

Also you can't disprove you aren't a criminal. The proof must exist from the accuser and their evidence. In this case, the defense has:

1 witness that was fired from the DA's office and stated that Willis on 4 seperate occasions confirmed that Wade and Willis were dating

1 witness with sexual misconduct allegations, who "speculated" on Wade and Willis' relationship and was a disaster for the defense -- note that the defense argued successfully that Bradley couldn't use attourney-client priveledge about certain facts and called him back to the stand, but didn't get the answers they were hoping for

Texts, calls and cell phone useage data that puts Wade in the proximity of Willis' condo. Wade admitted to being over there "a few times" or around ten times. The State didn't contest the 2 times the cell tower pinged him late night/early morning around that area

Unknown cash transactions, which Willis claims to have had in her house as her father taught her to do. The defense is arguing this is obviously improper use of tax payer funds through her "kickback" trips with Wade, even though the winery in CA has her paying $400 in cash to back up her statements (the CA winery stuff isn't in evidence, but confirms what Willis was saying)

To reiterate, most of the evidence here (and why Merchant filed the DQ in the first place), comes from non-sworn statements via text from Bradley to Merchant herself, including a "Looks good" about the brief before it was filed.