Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Explosionface posted:

I'm not looking right now, but my standing reason is "I can't stand being inside a Toyota every day". No one big thing, but death by a thousand papercuts that I never would have realized until driving our Sienna for a year. Luckily, my wife drives it 90% of the time and I can just relax in my Fusion.

I can't imagine preferring Ford interiors to Toyota interiors, but I guess someone has to!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah that would have vaguely made sense if the last word was S-class or something, but it's just replacing one shitbox with another, worse built shitbox

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Combo posted:

I have dumb question related to the car buying process and it's likely because I just don't know what I'm talking about here.

My truck got totaled a few weeks ago and I'm currently going through the process of finding another vehicle. I test drove one yesterday and had them work up numbers. While doing so I noticed they had my credit rating at like 30 points below where I know it to be (credit karma and experian accounts). When I asked about it he tried to explain but it wasn't really registering. If someone can explain it like I'm a 5 year old I'd love to hear it.

Per credit karma I'm in the 730s on equifax and transunion, his pull was for transunion and it had me at 695.

You can pull all 3 credit reports and get all the different auto/mortgage/credit card enhanced versions on myfico.com. They make it really hard to not sign up for their subscription service but click on pricing up top, and then "one-time reports" and you can do a one-time pull. I think it's $19.95 per bureau and if you search "myfico promo code" on google, you'll get a 15% off promo code. Almost all auto manufacturer banks use FICO8 auto, GM for whatever reason uses FICO9 auto. Which bureau they pull is based on region. Credit unions can use whatever they want, although in my experience they've used mortgage scores.

Also at 695, you're a finance manager phone call away from being approved for Tier 1, so hem and haw at the interest rate and threaten to look elsewhere and they'll usually bump you up as a courtesy.

CreditKarma is garbage and should not be used as mentioned by others.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Internet Explorer posted:

I can't imagine preferring Ford interiors to Toyota interiors, but I guess someone has to!

The higher trim level fusions are actually pretty nice on the inside, especially the Titanium.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

jokes posted:

Big agree. Everyone asking what car to buy should ask first "should I just get a Prius" first.

Pretty much everyone I've known with a Prius has had their catalytic converter stolen, and that's quite an expensive replacement

Vinny the Shark
Oct 11, 2005
That's something else I've been thinking about as well- the crime rates for certain cars. I heard about Kia and Hyundais having a problem with dumbshit kids breaking into them and joyriding for tiktok views because apparently the manufacturer wanted to save money by not installing certain safety components.

I need to do more research, but generally speaking the flashier and more sporty a car looks then the more likely it will get broken into and/or stolen or get parts stolen off it. I figure a boring Corrola or Civic would go unnoticed over more expensive looking cars. I live in a condo community where we all park our cars outdoors, so theft is a concern, albeit a small one.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Vinny the Shark posted:

Priuses are difficult to find around my local area, at least new ones or good ones with low mileage. The nearest one used is at a dealership about 2 hours away, and the new ones aren't in stock and cost about $10k more than I would like to spend. I haven't checked any private sellers. I don't have time to wait for one to become available. If by some chance I can find one that's both local and affordable then that would most likely be exactly what I'm looking for. But it's not likely.

Failing that, are there any other recommendations?

Prii are not a volume seller quite like Camry, CR-V, etc. Plus, when Uber became a thing about 5-10 years ago all of the used Prii jumped in value or were removed from inventory. So it’s generally not a great used buy anymore unless you intend to get a beat up example and drive it into the ground. No car is a bargain these days anyway.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Inner Light posted:

Prii are not a volume seller quite like Camry, CR-V, etc. Plus, when Uber became a thing about 5-10 years ago all of the used Prii jumped in value or were removed from inventory. So it’s generally not a great used buy anymore unless you intend to get a beat up example and drive it into the ground. No car is a bargain these days anyway.

Is this why I can get an ok looking, highly used Prius for 15k whereas that money goes a lot further with any other non Prius? It’s kind of frustrating how crazy the Prius tax is, and part of me wonders if I’m actually saving money by paying so much for the good fuel economy.

Basically the goal for me is to find a car that is as cheap or cheaper to run than my 2002 Corolla. Any newer car will have comprehensive insurance, so that adds at least another $50 to the monthly cost of ownership. So getting a car with better MPG offsets that cost of ownership hike, which I’m more keen on offsetting since my landlord just raised rent.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I went to a Toyota dealer and traded the Tacoma for a Rav4 hybrid xse. I had my list of walk out reasons and they basically just folded on all my asks. Met me halfway from my initial low ball. It all seemed to fall into place pretty well so I just did it lol

TheWevel posted:

Also at 695, you're a finance manager phone call away from being approved for Tier 1, so hem and haw at the interest rate and threaten to look elsewhere and they'll usually bump you up as a courtesy.

yeah actually my credit rang in just slightly below tier 1 in their report. but as you say the finance guy pushed it through no problem to the promo rate

ethanol fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 1, 2024

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

There are absolutely reasons to prefer this, and it's not even quality related. I really am not comfortable in chevy/gmc pickups of the last few generations compared to ford. It's just where my arms sit on the door side/console side and other things. It's just not comfortable. Not deal killer not comfortable, but prefernce. That's not the case for everyone of course, but it's a thing. My wife's LC200 to simialar generation Cayenne is also not comfortable to me, but that may be easily dismissed as luxury vs. not so luxury (it's not, it's seat/door/wheel/center console geometry).

This is why we tell people to sit in cars and drive them before they buy. Not everyone is comfortable with the same things.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 1, 2024

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Vinny the Shark posted:

Proposed Budget: $25k-30k
New or Used: Prefer new, but used would be fine
Body Style: 4 door sedan, but a suv or hatchback would work as well
How will you be using the car: Mostly going to and from work and driving locally, so lots of stop and go driving. I also drive 400 miles round trip a few times a year to visit my brother in another state
What aspects are most important: Long term reliability and comfort. Good gas mileage and MPG are a plus, but not top priority

My current vehicle's (2012 chevy malibu) power steering went out while driving and it's going to cost more than it's worth to fix. I've been saving up for a new vehicle anyway so rather than sink more money into it I've decided to just get a new one.

What I'm looking for is a reliable 4 door sedan that is comfortable to drive. I don't need any high performance since I mostly drive locally and to and from work, plus I'm usually a pretty slow driver anyway. I sometimes go on the freeway but even then I'm one of those guys that drives you crazy with how I'm going 65 when the limit is 70, so I hardly ever use a car's full performance capability. Acceleration and top speed aren't a huge concern. Good city gas mileage would also be great as well, but it's not the most important thing. What I want is a car that I can rely on for a long time to get me from point A to point B in comfort- not necessarily style or fun.

I'm thinking of a Toyota Corrola or Camry, Honda Civic or Accord, or even a Buick Envista.

Fusion Hybrid

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Explosionface posted:

I'm not looking right now, but my standing reason is "I can't stand being inside a Toyota every day". No one big thing, but death by a thousand papercuts that I never would have realized until driving our Sienna for a year. Luckily, my wife drives it 90% of the time and I can just relax in my Fusion.

I've lost count of how many times I've posted this but there are an assload of perfectly valid reasons to not want a Prius and "I don't like the interior" is a very reasonable one. All this really means is that reliability and fuel economy aren't your absolute number one and two priorities (in either order), and that's okay. You can definitely find cars that will be more comfortable and/or more fun to drive, without making huge sacrifices in fuel economy and/or ongoing maintenance costs.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Vinny the Shark posted:

Proposed Budget: $25k-30k
New or Used: Prefer new, but used would be fine
Body Style: 4 door sedan, but a suv or hatchback would work as well
How will you be using the car: Mostly going to and from work and driving locally, so lots of stop and go driving. I also drive 400 miles round trip a few times a year to visit my brother in another state
What aspects are most important: Long term reliability and comfort. Good gas mileage and MPG are a plus, but not top priority

My current vehicle's (2012 chevy malibu) power steering went out while driving and it's going to cost more than it's worth to fix. I've been saving up for a new vehicle anyway so rather than sink more money into it I've decided to just get a new one.

What I'm looking for is a reliable 4 door sedan that is comfortable to drive. I don't need any high performance since I mostly drive locally and to and from work, plus I'm usually a pretty slow driver anyway. I sometimes go on the freeway but even then I'm one of those guys that drives you crazy with how I'm going 65 when the limit is 70, so I hardly ever use a car's full performance capability. Acceleration and top speed aren't a huge concern. Good city gas mileage would also be great as well, but it's not the most important thing. What I want is a car that I can rely on for a long time to get me from point A to point B in comfort- not necessarily style or fun.

I'm thinking of a Toyota Corrola or Camry, Honda Civic or Accord, or even a Buick Envista.

There's really only one choice for you: Challenger Hellcat.

But if you can't find one, another option might be a Kia K5 or Mazda 3 sedan, which are both pretty nice cars for the money.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Vinny the Shark posted:

I need to do more research, but generally speaking the flashier and more sporty a car looks then the more likely it will get broken into and/or stolen or get parts stolen off it. I figure a boring Corrola or Civic would go unnoticed over more expensive looking cars. I live in a condo community where we all park our cars outdoors, so theft is a concern, albeit a small one.

wrongo bongo, the most stolen cars in america are the big 3 pickup trucks, Civic, Accord, Elantra, Sonata, Camry, Optima, and CR-V.

edit: people steal cars to part them out, not to joyride them. the market for used shady auto parts is very well correlated to how many of that car are on the road, hence the stolen list being dominated by mass market vehicles.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've lost count of how many times I've posted this but there are an assload of perfectly valid reasons to not want a Prius and "I don't like the interior" is a very reasonable one. All this really means is that reliability and fuel economy aren't your absolute number one and two priorities (in either order), and that's okay. You can definitely find cars that will be more comfortable and/or more fun to drive, without making huge sacrifices in fuel economy and/or ongoing maintenance costs.

yeah it's really a way of teasing out people's actual preferences, because everyone says they want reliability, fuel economy, and low TCO and then when you suggest a Prius lots of people got a billion reasons that they don't want a Prius

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

wrongo bongo, the most stolen cars in america are the big 3 pickup trucks, Civic, Accord, Elantra, Sonata, Camry, Optima, and CR-V.

edit: people steal cars to part them out, not to joyride them. the market for used shady auto parts is very well correlated to how many of that car are on the road, hence the stolen list being dominated by mass market vehicles.

This is just pure volume numbers right? So you’d expect the most common cars on the road to be at the top; you need to compare the number stolen to the number on the road to get a sense of likelihood.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

buffalo all day posted:

This is just pure volume numbers right? So you’d expect the most common cars on the road to be at the top; you need to compare the number stolen to the number on the road to get a sense of likelihood.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/road-safety/vehicle-theft-prevention/theft-rates

Still pretty well holds, though it's broken down by model year so theres a bunch of older GM and DCX crap. The idea that fancy cars are stolen at a higher rate is not really accurate, and there's a ton of noise in stuff like the fact that 2 Rolls Royce Phantoms were stolen. If it had been one, it would have a below average rate..

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'd like to point out that Hyundai did a recall and somehow fixed the easily bypassed ignition issue. The insurance rates did not subside. It might take another year or two for statistics to catch up.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Kia offers a free fix and will also send you a club (or something like it) for free. When I bought my Kia a year ago the insurance was cheap, but then skyrocketed after the initial 6 month term and I’m still salty about it!

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Nitrox posted:

I'd like to point out that Hyundai did a recall and somehow fixed the easily bypassed ignition issue. The insurance rates did not subside. It might take another year or two for statistics to catch up.

Thieves aren't gonna know a fix has been made, they'll bust your car open anyway and gently caress up your ignition trying to get it to work

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

ethanol posted:

39-41k usd is roughly the price of a optioned up rav 4 hybrid. Not interested in paying more. Those sound like good options for a European tho lol.

I’ll nip any debate in the bud and say it has to be awd (or 4x4).

Tacoma in 4x4 is probably the best winter highway vehicle ive ever had but the gas mileage just blows.

Think mountain search and rescue but not the off-road part. Getting to and from home on road. And it can be wet slush.

I’m cognizant of the fact the rav4 awd is forward biased. The hybrid has a different drivetrain apparently. Can’t seem to find a lot of specifics on how it’s different from the gas version. Guessing it’s not all that different. I also vainly hope they’ve made improvements to how much slip it takes to actually send power since I drove one like 15 years ago

I’m sad to hear a new rav4 is coming in 2025. Maybe I need to wait a year to consider.

Edit: no Subaru because I’ve been badly burned by their reliability already

I skipped consideration of the RAV4 hybrid cause of the power cable corrosion issue. I'm in the salt belt and it feels like too much on a headache to deal with, even though Toyota has been bumping up the warranty on it due to the issues. Very happy with cr-v hybrid, though.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Roseo posted:

I skipped consideration of the RAV4 hybrid cause of the power cable corrosion issue. I'm in the salt belt and it feels like too much on a headache to deal with, even though Toyota has been bumping up the warranty on it due to the issues. Very happy with cr-v hybrid, though.

I’m pretty sure they fixed this issue on 2022 and after. Anyways I bought a '24 rav4 yesterday. Loving it so far. Over double the mpg on the way to / from work today. That feels real good.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 2, 2024

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Shipon posted:

Thieves aren't gonna know a fix has been made, they'll bust your car open anyway and gently caress up your ignition trying to get it to work
thieves aren't going to know anything that's not on tiktok, and that trend had died down long ago.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Dealerships also put a sticker on the drivers side window to indicate that there is an engine immobilizer in place, but not sure how much of a deterrent that is to thieves in the dead of night.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

remigious posted:

Dealerships also put a sticker on the drivers side window to indicate that there is an engine immobilizer in place, but not sure how much of a deterrent that is to thieves in the dead of night.

It’s not, since thieves also know that stickers are cheaper than fixes.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
My "this car has an immobilizer" sticker is raising questions....

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So whats the deal with Hyundai Ioniq (non plug-in) hybrid sedans? They seem a fair bit cheaper than the Prius. Is there a reason why the thread doesn't talk about them? If my budget is 15k, it feels like an easier pill to swallow when the car im buying isn't already north of 100k miles or 8-10 years old.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

buglord posted:

So whats the deal with Hyundai Ioniq (non plug-in) hybrid sedans? They seem a fair bit cheaper than the Prius. Is there a reason why the thread doesn't talk about them? If my budget is 15k, it feels like an easier pill to swallow when the car im buying isn't already north of 100k miles or 8-10 years old.

They are good cars, and I personally like them better than the Prius. But last I checked two years ago, insurance was twice as high. You might want to get a quote from your insurance provider for any car you shop and compare.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

buglord posted:

The Prius is a high-volume incredibly proven platform that many mechanics will have seen often, with an entire cottage industry around refurbishing or replacing the hybrid batteries if it ends up needing attention at all. The transmission is bulletproof, the engines are consistently run past 200k with no problems, and they're used for tons of fleet work at this point.

The Ioniq is a low-volume niche car with unusual maintenance requirements that Hyundai dealers will not do unless you ask for it. The manual says it needs the clutch fluid changed every 2 years / 20k miles on its unique-for-Hyundai wet DCT. With our Kia Niro I've had the experience firsthand of calling dealers who have no idea about this service, and getting prices ranging from $100 to $500: https://www.reddit.com/r/IoniqEV/comments/sqvstv/if_you_have_an_ioniq_hevphev_make_sure_to_get_the/. I don't know what Consumer Reports says about long-term ownership, but I see a lot of posts about Niro / Ioniq transmissions failing before 100k miles, and with Hyundai/Kia the original customer gets a 100k mile warranty, but it is not transferable to a used buyer.

Our Niro PHEV is due for another clutch fluid change, and I'm bundling the appointment with a recall because the transmission might catch on fire, and a TSB covered under warranty because the lane-keeping drive gear in my car was assembled without any lube and makes awful dry grinding noises. Of all the Kia dealers around me, only 1 does this for a reasonable price, and scheduling is a pain because they only have their master tech 2 days a week and he's the only one who will touch this transmission.

Edit: One last tidbit about the clutch fluid thing: Hyundai and Kia have reduced the mileage interval for the clutch actuator fluid in newer model years. It used to be longer. When the manufacturer does this, it's a sign that they are seeing failures.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Yeah, the sole Prius V in our fleet finally croaked - head gasket at 275K miles, and that’s literally the first thing that went wrong with it. It’s a known issue on that generation.

If it was my vehicle, I’d slap a reman head on it and keep on truckin’ but there’s a criteria for getting rid of fleet vehicles and they ain’t going to approve repairs on something with those miles. BTW, the hybrid system still worked perfectly.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

In addition to the other more important points, while I preferred the interior layout (much more straightforward Hyundai vs the Prius' stupid garbage) there is basically no sound deadening in the Ioniq and they are very, very loud at highway speeds, even compared to the Prius, which is already not exactly an at-speed NVH champ. If I were doing a long highway commute the drone would get very old, very fast.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

This is an incredibly underrated option. You can get a whole lot of car for the money. There’s a few years where they can have a transmission bearing issue, avoid those and you have an incredibly solid car that doesn’t get the Toyota hybrid tax. Last year they were $10-15k cheaper than equivalent Camry’s. I was shopping them pretty hard against the Prius before I ended up buying another BMW :v:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
The Camry hybrid is a whole lot better than the Fusion hybrid, IMO. They were fairly close in price when I bought mine at the end of 2018, and the Camry had a full size trunk (no big square box for the battery).

I'm at 70k miles now and I still love my car.

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
I somehow have gone six years without a car and am incredibly unsure where to start with getting one.

Proposed Budget: Under 25k but can be convinced to go higher.
New or Used: Either
Body Style: Four doors and four wheels are about as far as i have gotten.
How will you be using the car?: Primary use will be commuting, running errands, with the extra of occasional road-trip on the eastern seaboard to see family. Wife has a Honda HRV that we have successfully crammed a lot of pallet furniture into in the past, so storage/carrying space isn't a huge deal.
What aspects are most important to you? Primary goal is to get the best value for my money -- i want something that will last, have a low cost of ownership over time. I live in Washington DC so Kias and Hyundais are no-gos, which is sad because my last car was a Tucson and I was fond of it. Thinking about this in context of starting a family so safety is also a factor. I spent the vast majority of my driving life in a 1996 Buick Regal, so fun, performance and aesthetics are obviously not important to me.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
In 300 words or less, explain why Toyota Prius is not right for you

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I loved the 96 regal. You could get it with a supercharged 3800 and you get all the bodacious good looks of a massive American luxury coupe.

Anyway, enjoy your new Prius.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Is a rav4 hybrid the Prius of suv?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You don’t need an suv

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Hey everyone, thank you for telling me to buy a Prius last time, I went and bought a Prius. Before that you said to buy a Miata and I did and that was fun, and way before that you said to buy a beater Elantra and I did and that was fun too. You guys are 3 for 3 on good car recommendations, thank you so much.

Now we need to replace our Elantra before it dies completely. What we want to buy is this: https://www.torquenews.com/8113/3-reasons-toyota-should-make-pickup-prius but it doesn't exist yet.

Proposed Budget: $10-20k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Truck/minivan/car with trailer? I'm not sure which is best for our needs since we've never owned anything other than little sedans, hatchbacks, and Miatas. We'll need a back seat since our kiddo is still little.
How will you be using the car?:
- dump runs about once every month or two.
- hauling building materials and furniture. Last year I counted and we borrowed a truck 7 times, so maybe worth it to not be such a bother to our truck friends/having to pay extra to ship things instead of picking them up
- hauling manure/camping gear/bikes/a little motorcycle
- as a family 2nd car for short distances

If we ended up with a van then it would also do duty as a kid hauler for groups of kids. Maybe also sleeping in it during camping trips?

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? definitely not.

What aspects are most important to you?
Reliability #1, good MPG would be nice, smaller the better (no giant F150 monstrosities)
We don't have a lot of driveway space so the car+trailer idea is hard to make happen without annoying neighbors.
We've considered getting something like a Tacoma but every truck in our range is like 25 years old with 150k miles on it already. A Pacifica? Odyssey? Actually chopping a Prius into a little truck? Idk help me before the Elantra radiator explodes please.

moana fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Probably a van with fold flat seats. Vans aren’t small however. A used Dodge Caravan would work and they can be found pretty much everywhere.

e: actually, a used Sienna or Odyssey would probably work even better on the reliability front.