Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

TeaJay posted:

I'm trying to read this thread selectively to pick up some good hints (like make the nights shorter, make new car parts instead of repairing all) while avoiding major spoilers. I'm terrible with horror games so who knows how long I can actually play, but I have it installed and ready to go when I have a good spot for a gaming session.

It's not a horror game - it can absolutely be Very Spooky, but there's no goblins in the night or angry pigbears out to chase you

It's you, a hosed up weird zone, and your rad battle station wagon trying to puzzle a way out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

victrix posted:

It's not a horror game - it can absolutely be Very Spooky, but there's no goblins in the night or angry pigbears out to chase you

It's you, a hosed up weird zone, and your rad battle station wagon trying to puzzle a way out

For me, a foreboding atmosphere is a lot more spookier than pigbears chasing me. I did try the demo and liked it, and I have a friend who is gushing about it on his playthrough, so I'm anxious to start my own leisure drive through the hellspace.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

TeaJay posted:

For me, a foreboding atmosphere is a lot more spookier than pigbears chasing me. I did try the demo and liked it, and I have a friend who is gushing about it on his playthrough, so I'm anxious to start my own leisure drive through the hellspace.

I generally don't do horror, but I think what I posted earlier might be worth keeping in mind. You acclimatize. When you're new, things are extremely spooky. But eventually you learn that the only thing that can really jump-scare you is a Tourist showing up where you don't expect. Everything else is predictable and fairly benign if you know what it does and how to respect it. And at that point what was 'spooky' becomes 'normal' and the things that scared you before are little more than local wildlife. Definitely weird wildlife, but still.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I was having extreme trouble with keeping the car in decent condition between runs because there's just not enough space in the matter reconstructor and not enough repair putty in the world.

Then it clicked: There's nothing wrong with going for a 3-minute run to an adjacent zone with a 1-orb gateway requirement and doing nothing more than exiting the zone, with maybe a tiny bit of opportunistic looting if I pass a research shack or something, just to reset the garage. I get all my poo poo repaired while only having to do minimum work when I get back, all my quirk guesses refunded (I have one that drains fuel when I'm just parked up with everything off and I have no idea what is causing it) and the friendly bin is refilled. For some reason I had internalised the rule that every run has to push boundries or progress something, which of course isn't true.

Within a couple of hours or so of this revelation I had a fully fixed car with fully fixed spare panels and doors in storage, two or three stacks of repair putty and over 20 chemicals to make more if needed.

e. I just turned on infinite quirk guesses to find out why my fuel was decreasing. Turns out it wasn't a quirk at all it was the back seat tank leaking. I didn't know the spare tank and the main tank shared the same resource pool - whichever one is leaking, you fill either up and it fills.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 1, 2024

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Had the most "yeah gently caress you" death. I was trying to sprint through a super hazardous zone, went around a road block right into a bollard, it flips my car, I get out to try and flip it over, minute men pop up and fry me to like 10hp, I get in the car to try and heal but my batteries had been drained or broken by the shocks and radiation and a meteor falls right on me as my battery died.

Yep. Ok game. I get it. Take a break.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

victrix posted:

Lengthy post from the devs about the save system

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1458140/view/4113546234714112722

I never had any issues, but I also play roguelike everything and if I had to stop mid session and stop I'd just pause it and come back later

i never had issues with the save system either but for me its because im playing in vr and ive rarely felt cozy enough to spend more than 15 minutes on a single map, voluntarily. yeah the areas immediately surrounding the garage are nbd but im never like at ease unless i know there are only static relatively harmless anomalies around.

im also making shamefully slow progress for the op of this thread, because every ratchet up in difficulty brings new terrors. i was about to finally breech into the midzone when i was forced into a map with perpetual darkness and the storm coming in and i essentially died of panic and not having offroad tires

i think also a lot of people didnt realize it saves between maps on a run.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

The deep zone is not loving around. Make sure you’ve got plenty of gas, I have yet to find more than half a small can per map.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
I've just gotten to the deep zone and have yet to need to refill my gastank by siphoning while on a trip, ever. Tho I did shove that backseat tank in early as gently caress.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Al! posted:

i never had issues with the save system either but for me its because im playing in vr and ive rarely felt cozy enough to spend more than 15 minutes on a single map, voluntarily. yeah the areas immediately surrounding the garage are nbd but im never like at ease unless i know there are only static relatively harmless anomalies around.

im also making shamefully slow progress for the op of this thread, because every ratchet up in difficulty brings new terrors. i was about to finally breech into the midzone when i was forced into a map with perpetual darkness and the storm coming in and i essentially died of panic and not having offroad tires

i think also a lot of people didnt realize it saves between maps on a run.

I've taken to having two kinds of trips. Leisurely outer zone runs to nearby areas to just load up on tons and tons of normal resources (especially that first storyline town where a bunch of stuff is introduced and you go all Dukes of Hazzard, there's a lot of cylinders and pressurized tanks or whatever in the science buildings) and hair-on-fire blitz runs through for anchor points, box trucks, maybe at most a building or two if I'm feeling frisky where spare gas is whatever I bring along in gas cans.

Had a bright white bubble warp in on a hill nearby. Would not have ever considered having an anthropomorphic dumpster vomiting at me to be something I would be happy about but here we are. Still weirded out by tourists randomly chucking things at my back. Five cans of food just go flying over my shoulder out of nowhere. Creepy.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I like to be pretty exact about nomenclature in games because communication is hard enough and was gonna write some stuff about it.

Then I realized I have no right to throw shade at anyone having almost made it to midzone without realizing there were multiple research tabs.

Gonna try and get into midzone tonight I think, see how that goes. It's kinda fun getting drop pod loot, especially if you have an easy shot at the gate and can just idle around a distance away from it.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

LordSloth posted:

I’m a bit confused about the icon and the scan not showing up an issue. Do you have any status in your log flagged new, like “busted”?

Maybe a bug?
Maybe a weird quirk combo?

Were you able to install new parts back at base?

Any of these icons look similar?
https://progameguides.com/pacific-drive/all-statuses-in-pacific-drive-and-how-to-fix-them/
None of those icons, I should have screenshot it when I saw it. I think it's not so much a car icon as a game icon maybe? Probably a bug.

So if I just scanned the part, like on the ground or something, there would be no warnings/icons and very little damage. If I picked up the part and tried to RT it onto the car (with the screwdriver icon lit) nothing happens, but it seems like there's a little red(?) icon on the left where it tells you what you're looking at. The most helpful I can be about the icon is it looks like a more "smudged" lock icon - not really that, but kind of similar shaping as that. I kept trying to parse it out visually and getting nowhere with it. This happened days ago so I'm having a hard time with the details. Same result / same icon with both the tire and the door. No problems back at base.

RandolphCarter posted:

That’s happened to me, I don’t know what causes it though. Dropping the item and picking it back up let me install them.
Thanks for the thing to try if it happens again.

This game reminds me a lot of playing PC games in ancient times when I was a kid as often I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. Doesn't help that now I'm too stupid to play a game if it doesn't hold my hand, so I'm glad this thread is here.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Since it seems like an interesting topic, and the tech tree isnt spoilery. What have you all been outfitting your car with?

Like I've noticed a lot of what I'd consider really early fuel tanks and extra storage in the thread, but I also acknowledge I'm a weirdo who won't upgrade anything until the game forces it.

So I'm literally toodling around in the midzone with all steel panels, off road tires, no abilities, and only the hydro generator on my racks. Did add the fuel synthesizer last night since it has bigger storage than the early rack tanks, but I'm also just considering going back to the starter engine.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I ended up with all armoured stuff on the front of my car (bumper + hood + panels), then a mix of rad and electrical resist stuff on the rest of it. I used side storage for a while but once I unlocked the last trunk storage upgrade I found I didn't really need it anymore (a combination of having so much trunk space and just not obsessively looting everything since I already had so many basic materials back at the garage), so I swapped out for a side fuel tank and battery and two wind generators. I also put a big battery and fuel tank in the back seat and basically have never had gas or battery issues with the 2nd tier engine and pretty liberal use of abilities.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think it probably makes the most sense to keep the starter engine and have a side storage with like two or three large gas cans. I can't really see the case for anything beyond off road tires.

Then invest bigly in battery for active abilities

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Unhappy Meal posted:

Since it seems like an interesting topic, and the tech tree isnt spoilery. What have you all been outfitting your car with?

Like I've noticed a lot of what I'd consider really early fuel tanks and extra storage in the thread, but I also acknowledge I'm a weirdo who won't upgrade anything until the game forces it.

So I'm literally toodling around in the midzone with all steel panels, off road tires, no abilities, and only the hydro generator on my racks. Did add the fuel synthesizer last night since it has bigger storage than the early rack tanks, but I'm also just considering going back to the starter engine.

I ultimately settled on

Armored/Olympium panels
Lead-plated doors (except the back, which is also armored/olympium)
All-terrain tires with a set of back-up offroads in the trunk
Big battery and gas in the seats
Roof rack storage and resource radar
2x Wind turbines, a rain catcher, and the 4th side slot being flexible
Biolum headlights for maximum "LED high-beams" experience

The front bumper is armored/olympium, but the rear is the LIM Shield you get during story progression. Ultimately I can use the radar and shield as much as I want because I have so much battery capacity and regen. Specifically regen--I took the battery out when it became bloated one run and didn't even feel the difference. And the shield nullifies grabby anomalies in addition to helping with physical damage, so I can almost full send my wagon through trees and rocks and still come out with green parts.

I should add that I took all my insulated stuff off after I stopped doing most of my work in the Outer Zone, where most of the electrical anomalies are. It's not really practical to build electric resistance once you're no longer spending significant amounts of time where electric anoms spawn.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah a lot of the "endgame" stuff is in kind of a weird place where it's both hard to make (especially if you're aiming to do it before finishing the story; you really need to deliberately avoid making story progress to actually gather all the stuff you need), and not actually much better than the stuff you can make with materials from the outer zone. I kind of feel like the engines progress in the wrong direction, where they get faster but less fuel efficient - speed isn't really an issue at any point in the game; anything that is time sensitive is easily doable with the starter engine and you rarely have the luxury of hitting top speed anyway. Fuel efficiency on the other hand is a huge concern, at least until you load up with supplementary tanks in your rack slots. Being able to upgrade to a more fuel efficient engine and free up some rack space for utility modules seems like it would be a better tradeoff (there is the electric engine but then you just end up trading those extra tanks for batteries and don't really save any space).

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Life hackishly, I feel like a side storage full of large gas cans is comically more capacity than an actual side gas tank, is cheaper to make in the long run since the large cans never degrade, and you can use the storage if you find you don't need that much gas (you probably don't)

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 1, 2024

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

Life hackishly, I feel like a side storage full of large gas cans is comically more capacity than an actual side gas tank, is cheaper to make in the long run since the large cans never degrade, and you can use the storage if you find you find you don't need that much gas (you probably don't)

The side-storage degrades, but you're right. The main downside is that you have to get out to refuel. Which... isn't much of a downside in my experience. And you can use those tanks to siphon gas along the way too.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i guess im always using powered devices so ive found extra batteries way more useful than fuel, then again ive only unlocked the lightning rod for the purposes of protecting my car

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Finished the game with about 90% of the tech tree unlocked. Hugely enjoyable experience at around 40 hours, and it's great to see a studio release a successful labor of love. I had a very hard time finding Olympium and instead of settling in for an endgame grind I just thought I'd wrap up the story. Car pretty much wrapped in Acid/Armor/Lead resist and no Olympium parts, and I felt indestructable. My hope is maybe some epilogue content that just focuses on the deep zone a little more with increased availability of limited/rare resources. There were a few story specific area types that definitely could be re-hashed for use in extra content.

The only accessibility/gameplay tweaks I used were loot highlighting and brighter nights which I don't think diminished the challenge much but lowered my fomo/anxiety when I was out scavenging, and I think the reddit anger about the save system was definitely overblown. The designer write-up addressing it was a good example of player communication other studios should take note of. Saying no is ok when it's an intentional and key part of a working design. I feel like the Nightingale team could've done the same in regards to the offline mode thing. The tech debt dealing with that instead of focusing on the game-play seems like a risky decision.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Campbell posted:

Finished the game with about 90% of the tech tree unlocked. Hugely enjoyable experience at around 40 hours, and it's great to see a studio release a successful labor of love. I had a very hard time finding Olympium and instead of settling in for an endgame grind I just thought I'd wrap up the story.
That's about where I am. Olympium is rare enough (why does it only show up in one of the endgame biomes instead of both?? Red Spires are objectively better, then) and I don't feel compelled to make several trips all the way out just to harvest a few lim chips worth.
Do Red Balloons get used for anything but the 2-3 outfitter upgrades? They're all over the place but not reusable like marsh eggs are. I feel like the resource balance in this game is all over the place and not in a good way. Like the Liberator MKII is one of the last things you'll be able to unlock and craft, requiring rare, specific materials, but... why? The liberator sucks. It might be useful in the first 3 or so trips to the zone when you're still getting steel panels and maybe that brief time you find armored pieces but can't yet craft them but otherwise it's just a waste of time.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vib Rib posted:

That's about where I am. Olympium is rare enough (why does it only show up in one of the endgame biomes instead of both?? Red Spires are objectively better, then) and I don't feel compelled to make several trips all the way out just to harvest a few lim chips worth.
Do Red Balloons get used for anything but the 2-3 outfitter upgrades? They're all over the place but not reusable like marsh eggs are. I feel like the resource balance in this game is all over the place and not in a good way. Like the Liberator MKII is one of the last things you'll be able to unlock and craft, requiring rare, specific materials, but... why? The liberator sucks. It might be useful in the first 3 or so trips to the zone when you're still getting steel panels and maybe that brief time you find armored pieces but can't yet craft them but otherwise it's just a waste of time.

The power tires use red balloons but yeah it's easy to get way more than you'll ever need to use from one trip.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Honestly I had no idea what the Liberator even did until 20+ hours into the game when I saw a streamer shoot components off of a car. I'd thought it was for shooting Abductors or other critters.

Yea, I should've made the connection way earlier, but there are enough nebulous mechanics in the game that I had enough on my plate (around the same time I learned press Y to sort). The only reason I'd want to liberate would be if I found a rare component I had no way to craft on my own but I never ran into that situation because I was so hooked on grinding early/mid-game mats and energy. Also, puncture proof tires were so good that they actively stopped me from going any further in that tree.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
My first beeline was steel panels/doors and the repair facility to give myself a car that doesn't detonate if it sees a stiff wind over the hill and some breathing room on scrap metal. Then some miscellaneous things, then a concerted push towards the auto-park mod because holy balls was I tired of doing that and wanted it automated for me. Then back to overall upgrades like improving the scanner, more storage everywhere. Next I'm looking at wind generators and stuff. Right now I run without lights on and use abilities sparingly as I have no form of power generation and if I run out it's jumping the batteries or bust.

Also, yeah, I use four large gas cans in a side storage rack and have just completely absurd fuel capacity compared to one spare side tank. Can't fill them from pumps or fuel trucks so I still have to syphon gas everywhere I see it but the capacity is waaaay more than I need with room for resources stuffed in the nooks and crannies and I get enough to syphon that I rarely ever have more than one gas can being filled/depleted unless I'm doing a hair-on-fire dash run through some mid zone or something.

At some point I want to experiment with massive power generation and an electric engine just for funsies but higher priorities right now like any power generation at all so I can use the limshield more frequently to prevent damage in the first place and then upgraded panels/doors for the rest.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

Can't fill them from pumps or fuel trucks so I still have to syphon gas everywhere I see it

Drop tank on ground, fill with pump

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Has anyone tried the Jump Jacks?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Al! posted:

i guess im always using powered devices so ive found extra batteries way more useful than fuel, then again ive only unlocked the lightning rod for the purposes of protecting my car

Unlock the wind turbines and marvel that your car now has a bootleg alternator at least while moving.

bird food bathtub posted:

My first beeline was steel panels/doors and the repair facility to give myself a car that doesn't detonate if it sees a stiff wind over the hill and some breathing room on scrap metal. Then some miscellaneous things, then a concerted push towards the auto-park mod because holy balls was I tired of doing that and wanted it automated for me. Then back to overall upgrades like improving the scanner, more storage everywhere. Next I'm looking at wind generators and stuff. Right now I run without lights on and use abilities sparingly as I have no form of power generation and if I run out it's jumping the batteries or bust.

Also, yeah, I use four large gas cans in a side storage rack and have just completely absurd fuel capacity compared to one spare side tank. Can't fill them from pumps or fuel trucks so I still have to syphon gas everywhere I see it but the capacity is waaaay more than I need with room for resources stuffed in the nooks and crannies and I get enough to syphon that I rarely ever have more than one gas can being filled/depleted unless I'm doing a hair-on-fire dash run through some mid zone or something.

At some point I want to experiment with massive power generation and an electric engine just for funsies but higher priorities right now like any power generation at all so I can use the limshield more frequently to prevent damage in the first place and then upgraded panels/doors for the rest.

Funny enough I only used the auto-parker for the midgame. By the time I could put batteries and fuel tanks in the seats, I'd decided it was worth the inconvenience and chucked the auto-parker into the part shredder.

Also, you can absolute fill large gas cans from pumps and trucks. Place them on the ground and use the nozzle on them.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Good to see Pacific Drive is teaching us correct gas can filling protocol.

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Does anyone know if that light blue oscilloscope looking indicator on the dashboard indicates a nearby anomaly like I think it does?

If so, I've been using that thing being perfectly flat to tell me it's a safe place to park for a while, anomaly-wise

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I thought it was radiation, if it indicates other stuff too that'd be a big deal for me

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Man, you think your run is 100% smooth and just as you're about to get through the gateway, an abductor whips you through a line of tourists and you get back with everything in the red instead of green.

Was pretty fuckin' funny though.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

30.5 Days posted:

I thought it was radiation, if it indicates other stuff too that'd be a big deal for me

rads was my feeling too

i had a happy little animation play on the little screen under my skill box when i left for a run. does that happen every time and i just noticed?

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

That makes sense... But do all anomalies emot radiation? Because then it might indirectly be helpful to detect anomalies too

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Eminent DNS posted:

That makes sense... But do all anomalies emot radiation? Because then it might indirectly be helpful to detect anomalies too

radioactive anomalies will have the ☢️ symbol next to their name on the map

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Man, you think your run is 100% smooth and just as you're about to get through the gateway, an abductor whips you through a line of tourists and you get back with everything in the red instead of green.

Was pretty fuckin' funny though.
I once ran into a line of tourists that were almost invisible because they were past the glare barrier of the gateway. Like between passing the nearly 100% opaque line but before actually being teleported, I got exploded on.

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Al! posted:

radioactive anomalies will have the ☢️ symbol next to their name on the map

I've seen that, but I think even non radioactive anomalies trigger that meter I'm taking about

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Al! posted:

rads was my feeling too

i had a happy little animation play on the little screen under my skill box when i left for a run. does that happen every time and i just noticed?

It happens every now and then when you get into the car. At first I thought it was a quirk but turns out it's not. Car's just friendly.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Al! posted:

I don’t know when mine appeared but I didn’t notice it for a good while. Now it says hi pretty much every time I get into the car.

It’s like a tamagotchi, you can click on it and feed it. No idea if it does anything beyond being something cute.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Eminent DNS posted:

I've seen that, but I think even non radioactive anomalies trigger that meter I'm taking about

Not in any way that helps find them/predict them. There's a lot of background radiation in the zone, and some of the buildings with the 'vine' looking things on them are radioactive, but it's not going to tell you if there's like a Minuitmen trap up ahead or anything like that.

The only 'reliable' thing is that if it's yellow you're either in Hot Dust or in the yellow part of the zone storm, and if it's red... only place I've seen that is the red part of the zone storm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've been having fun with this game. I've been a bit annoyed that I do a big run, come back with a couple chemicals, and then have to immediately spend them on repair putty, but I guess I should just be making new panels and recycling the old ones? Then I had a run where I was scanning a bunch of cool poo poo and then my game crashed. Then I had to reload saves over and over again to finally get a random seed that didn't have anomalies blocking the entire road leading to the objective that had impassable hills on either side. I probably wouldn't have done that otherwise, but I was so bummed out after losing such a great, and rather uneventful run to a random crash. Overall I'm having a great time but getting bummed out by feeling like each long run I do and I come back and everything goes into getting ready for my next run without being able to add or improve my car.

Does anyone know why sometimes when I exit the car it will fade to black and put me outside rather than just get out of the car?