Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Psycho Landlord posted:

MW5 is getting a final DLC

It's Solaris

George Ledoux is in :getin:

holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Psycho Landlord posted:

MW5 is getting a final DLC

It's Solaris

George Ledoux is in :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoYkgrEu4Q0

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Well then

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Putting Duncan Fisher in MW5 is like having the characters read Romeo and Juliet in Twilight

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
ffs stop buying poo poo from PGI

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

you're right marx headroom, it is exactly like that, for real

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

I'll be getting it. MW5 is fine.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Has the AI been improved enough to make a Solaris 1v1 into something that isn't laughable?

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

The AI is better, but still bad at dealing with lances. If you hold fire and let your friends do some damage first, it'll focus on them and completely ignore you as you sneak up behind them and deliver your SRMs. So it seems it assigns priorities by damage received and not potential threat.

Seems to torso twist ok once it gets going, though. Mostly gives me the good shoulder.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Klyith posted:

Has the AI been improved enough to make a Solaris 1v1 into something that isn't laughable?

AI's been fine for a few expacs now, but you only really notice it with custom jobs that aren't lovely stock bracket builds and such

The AI, both enemy and friendly, is murderous with PPCs

Also yeah aggro in MW5 is entirely a case of who did the most damage recently. That's fine in gladiator fights though.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I downloaded the most recent BTA and started over again. Haven't gotten into the big change (artillery) yet. Noticed I'm lucky to get two games in a row before a crash now.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Marx Headroom posted:

Putting Duncan Fisher in MW5 is like having the characters read Romeo and Juliet in Twilight

I mean...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENn8G9lAuIs

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

GD_American posted:

I downloaded the most recent BTA and started over again. Haven't gotten into the big change (artillery) yet. Noticed I'm lucky to get two games in a row before a crash now.

Using artillery is fun but can render the game slow (if you need to move them) or samey (if you are in a spot where you can bombard the enemy without risk), but the panic you feel every time you realize the BADDIES have artillery is top notch.

Really ramps up the urgency

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

You gotta bring a Long Tom to an urban map

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Hey just a head's up, Battletech Mercenary Collection is on sale on Steam right now. Mercenary Collection is the Digital Deluxe Edition + all 3 DLCs and right now it's 80% off. Just in case there's anyone that hasn't picked this up yet.

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/20974/BATTLETECH_Mercenary_Collection/

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Does Comstar ever factor into the vanilla campaign/career mode?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

IIRC no, they only appear as opposing forces on occasion.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
AFAIK they're never even a "standard" opponent. The only time they appear are surprise 3-way battles -- when you accept a contract to fight some other guys and a 3rd force shows up with no warning, the random 3rd faction might be Comstar.

(And when that happens they don't have special SLDF mechs, just normal ones.)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
ComStar has LosTech, but rarely actually fields it.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

FEMA summer camp posted:

There's a single off-hand mention of ComStar in the vanilla story (where if you know anything about what ComStar actually is like you'll know a bit more than the characters about what they're up to) but apart from (very rare) OpFor encounters, you never really encounter ComStar.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

FEMA summer camp posted:

Besides the subtext of your engineer being the most obvious ROM agent ever, no

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Q_res posted:

Hey just a head's up, Battletech Mercenary Collection is on sale on Steam right now. Mercenary Collection is the Digital Deluxe Edition + all 3 DLCs and right now it's 80% off. Just in case there's anyone that hasn't picked this up yet.

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/20974/BATTLETECH_Mercenary_Collection/

Hmm, wonder if that's even worth it since I'm only missing UW, HM and Digital Deluxe, and UW and HM have Mixed reviews, and the DD stuff is worthless to me.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Griddle of Love posted:

Hmm, wonder if that's even worth it since I'm only missing UW, HM and Digital Deluxe, and UW and HM have Mixed reviews, and the DD stuff is worthless to me.

The steam reviews have a buncho of weirdo gamer rebellion about paradox DLC pricing. Flashpoint was definitely the best DLC in terms of content, but the other two are totally worth having.

In particular the city maps in Urbie Warfare are a great change of pace to fight in. The Raven flashpoint is very unique and has some interesting "combat puzzle" missions in it. You command some preset mechs and pilots that aren't your own, against forces that are tuned so you need to fully exploit the Raven ECM. OTOH the ECM effect itself is a little bit meh -- you probably won't find yourself using it very often, and when you run into an enemy ECM lance the AI isn't great at abusing it. (TBF if the AI was using it well, it would be infuriating to fight against.)

Heavy Metal has a shitload of new mechs, weapons, and lostech all over the place. I dunno, they're totally worth having if you're into the game and gonna play through a career mode run after seeing a bunch of the existing stuff.

Compared to the current deal on the entire XCOM series for $20 it's a kinda meh sale.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

The next time I start up BT, I'm definitely dipping into one of the more complicated mods, so I really won't be starved for extra content.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
You'll probably want the DLC then, since most if not all of them include content that requires them.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Griddle of Love posted:

You can buy UW and HM a la carte for $10 each. I'd recommend going that route and they're worth the money imo.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Griddle of Love posted:

The next time I start up BT, I'm definitely dipping into one of the more complicated mods, so I really won't be starved for extra content.

BTA seems to change its whole meta 1-2 times a year. They definitely keep it fresh.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The BTA team works really hard to try to find a balance between letting things be fun and tamping down on things that just shatter the game into pieces to keep things fresh instead of stale, and I really appreciate it.

Heat is a good example; it used to be very, very easy to field just one or two cooker mechs and just completely trivialize any enemy as well as making salvage a joke because you kept picking up pristine mechs by grilling their pilots to death. They made a bunch of adjustments so now a heat-based strategy is still extremely strong but you actually have to commit to it instead of it just being an overpowered add-on to anything you were doing.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Kanos posted:

Heat is a good example; it used to be very, very easy to field just one or two cooker mechs and just completely trivialize any enemy as well as making salvage a joke because you kept picking up pristine mechs by grilling their pilots to death. They made a bunch of adjustments so now a heat-based strategy is still extremely strong but you actually have to commit to it instead of it just being an overpowered add-on to anything you were doing.

I really miss this mechanic and am sad they fixed it because it was hilarious and made the Davy Crockett even more hilarious

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

When they introduced Battle Armor the win button was sprint transport Mechs close, let them latch onto the enemy, and core 100 tonners in one turn.

It had to be changed, but it was kind of funny for a while. Elementals were deadly, but Golems were godly

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The window where a single Golem squad could unload into the back of a 'mech for 300+ damage was utterly hilarious. Assault mechs just vaporizing into a cloud of mist from one BA squad.

Kesper North posted:

I really miss this mechanic and am sad they fixed it because it was hilarious and made the Davy Crockett even more hilarious

You can still grill 'mechs very well with a heat strat, it's just hard to do with only one cooker and you're unlikely to kill the pilot outright from just heat damage anymore. Now you just shut them down and if you want salvage you either plink at the head or try to rake the engine out with weak weapons, and if you want them dead you either target fire their rear CT(since they're shut down) or wait for their ammo to cook off.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 2, 2024

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
So BTA changes what happens when you fully overheat a mech?

That was actually kinda disappointing in the base game, how overheating an enemy all the way to full shutdown isn't that awful. It's just a very inconvenient way to get called shots, and then they reset to zero heat. In some cases you're almost doing them a favor and the better play is overheating them to 99%.

(Though you could do kinda effective things with intentional shutdown on yourself, as long as you could manage the initiative and didn't mind the repair bill. Super gimmicky way to make a PPC sniper for lunar maps. My structure is my heatsink.)

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Klyith posted:

the ECM effect itself is a little bit meh -- you probably won't find yourself using it very often, and when you run into an enemy ECM lance the AI isn't great at abusing it. (TBF if the AI was using it well, it would be infuriating to fight against.)

Do any of the mods make ECM worthwhile? I played the vanilla game where it started OP, then they nerfed it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Klyith posted:

That was actually kinda disappointing in the base game, how overheating an enemy all the way to full shutdown isn't that awful. It's just a very inconvenient way to get called shots, and then they reset to zero heat. In some cases you're almost doing them a favor and the better play is overheating them to 99%.

(Though you could do kinda effective things with intentional shutdown on yourself, as long as you could manage the initiative and didn't mind the repair bill. Super gimmicky way to make a PPC sniper for lunar maps. My structure is my heatsink.)

As mentioned they nerfed it a bit but yeah, roasting mechs is very viable. You don't just get shutdowns, you get component failures / cookoffs, failed restarts, and eventually pilot death.

The nerf impacts how much heat you can directly add to an enemy mech in a turn. It doesn't seem to impact how much they get from burning tiles so "napalm the forest" is still very powerful.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Klyith posted:

As mentioned, massive overheating in BTA doesn't do piddly structure damage, you start getting outright component loss and catastrophic ammo cookoffs. You used to also be able to simply roast pilots to death through raw heat, though that got nerfed. Called shots in BTA are massively more deadly because weapon and 'mech quality are generally much higher than vanilla, so shutting down is a death sentence.

For a while in BTA forced heat generation was uncapped, so you could run one really well optimized flamer/plasma boat with some infernos and have it shoot one enemy to like 300 heat in one alpha and basically crowd control the entire enemy force one at a time because they'd be so hot they'd either die outright from ammo cookoffs or have to spend multiple turns shutdown and cooling off. Now the amount of heat that a 'mech can take from enemy sources is hard capped per turn, so if you want to lock down multiple enemies in this way you need to field multiple cooker 'mechs and pair them off with targets. Still good, just not "the game is broken because I bought a Hazard and put heavy flamers on it" level anymore.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 2, 2024

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

yeah back in the Heat Era I had a couple of Crusader 4Ls (the jump capable one) with Inferno Launchers and Flamers all over them. They routinely would take two Mechs per turn off the board.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cross-posting myself from the steam thread:

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/12661/BATTLETECH_Season_Pass_Bundle/

This is on sale for the next 22~ hours. I played the game for 12 hours back in 2018 and remember liking it, but thinking it was quite slow. I then moved onto XCOM and forgot about it entirely.

Would it be worth it for me to pick up the DLC and give it another go?

Also, what are the big/best overhaul mods and what are the differences between them?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I'm really enjoying the pack ptn put together for his thread tbh. The major overhaul ones get way too finicky for my liking but the little bit of added equip along with a few new variants really hit the sweet spot.

Never got campaign flashpoints working though sadly

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

One thing I think was added (or always there) is the option to literally speed up animations, and you can differentiate between the enemy turn and your own. Saves those awful convoy missions.

I have 403 hours played which constitutes a couple of campaign runthroughs and then career modes as the DLC came out. But I was sick of XCOM at that point and wanted something similar and was willing to forgive Battletech's comparatively shallow tactical game because of the wonderful atmosphere. It was also an era where there were relatively few games coming out I cared about.

So I guess my advice would be to touch the base game again for a couple of hours and see if there's a spark pulling at your attention. If so, get the DLC, play the Campaign through first. If not, maybe don't bother. We live in a world where Jagged Alliance 3 and Baldur's Gate 3 exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Alchenar posted:

We live in a world where Jagged Alliance 3 and Baldur's Gate 3 exists.

I don't think there's giant robots in either of these.