Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Mebh posted:

Speaking of naan bread. I recommend trying to make it. It's super easy. Yoghurt, self rising flour, salt, ghee, oil or butter to brush with after if you like.

You can just mix it all, form the dough into flat shapes and then cook it in a pan.

My naan recipe involves 90 minutes of waiting which makes it a faff in my opinion. Are you telling me I just mix it and bake?

Post ur nan recips

• 250g plain flour
• 15ml white caster sugar
• 8g dry yeast
• 5ml salt
• 45g greek yoghurt
• 25g olive oil
• 180ml water lukewarm
• 30g unsalted butter melted
• 30g garlic puree
• 30g fresh coriander chopped

1. Whisk together the flour, sugar, yeast, salt
2. Separately, whisk together the yogurt, oil, and water
3. Combine and mix with a fork
4. Knead into a soft, slightly sticky dough
5. Place ball of dough in floured bowl
6. Flour top of ball and cover bowl with damp cloth
7. Leave in warm location for 90m
8. Remove to floured surface and divide into 6
9. Roll out each piece and place in hot skillet
10. When browned on bottom, flip over until browned
11. Remove from pan and brush with garlic butter mixture
12. Sprinkle with chopped coriander

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

You forgot to add the microplastics

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Mine:

- One phone
- One credit card
- Menu. Sourced organically from front door letterbox. Online options also.
- No plans for next day.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just imagining you getting an entire naan, unpackaged, through the letterbox, via royal mail.

There's gotta be a market for that right? Just an app where you press a button and it sends someone to shove a naan through your letterbox?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
You could butter the stamp to affix it to the naan.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Mine: flour, oil and water, measurements are... random. :shrug:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Obviously if you were doing this professionally you would invent the naan-franker.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
*rolls 3 d20s*

loving hell it's gonna be an oily naan tonight guys

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Microplastics posted:

*rolls 3 d20s*

loving hell it's gonna be an oily naan tonight guys

D16s.... we're using ounces here people!!! :argh:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Microplastics posted:

My naan recipe involves 90 minutes of waiting which makes it a faff in my opinion. Are you telling me I just mix it and bake?

That's why he's using baking powder (that's what's in self-rising flour) not yeast. Probably less authentic or w/e but if it works it works.

To be honest, I've made naan before at home, and it's pretty good, but it's not the same as the thin, slightly charred restaurant stuff - I suspect to get it really right you do need a tandoor oven or at least an industrial flat-top type cooking surface (see also why the supermarket stuff is not even in the ballpark, though obviously you can get closer). Miss where I used to live, though, where I could walk round the corner to the takeaway indian place and they'd sell you just the fresh made naan, 3 for a quid.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 2, 2024

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

You can do pretty good if you get a frying pan with a lid. Let it get nice and hot, then a quick brish with butter, slap on the dough, lid on, 2-3 minutes. That should make the flat base and bubbly top, then brush the top and flip, 1-2 minutes to scorch the top, and it should come out not 100 miles away from a proper one. A tray in a very hot oven works too.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

What are goons favourite essay collections?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

bessantj posted:

The Puffin Joke Book

Essay essay essay, what's grey and has four legs and a trunk? A mouse going on holiday!

And what's brown and has four legs and a trunk? A mouse coming back from holiday!

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

OwlFancier posted:

Just imagining you getting an entire naan, unpackaged, through the letterbox, via royal mail.

There's gotta be a market for that right? Just an app where you press a button and it sends someone to shove a naan through your letterbox?

onlynaans

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

If you have a grand+ spare you can get a Rotimatic.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

bessantj posted:

For a light read, :umberto: Eco's How to travel with a salmon is a collection of humorous essays in his trademark style.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

I don't even know who that is, but it's still :perfect:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rappaport posted:

For a light read, :umberto: Eco's How to travel with a salmon is a collection of humorous essays in his trademark style.

Thank you.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
imo its fine to make a flat bread with chemical leaveners if you must, but i think it really suffers from not having a yeast ferment

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

bessantj posted:

Stephen Jay Gould for sciency stuff. Tim Cahill for travelly stuff. Prob think of more as soon as post this.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

bessantj posted:

Maggie Nelson and Rebecca Solnit both do excellent books of essays, they have good brains

e: Joan Didion too

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 2, 2024

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

bessantj posted:

Steve Biko's I Write What I Like.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I really enjoyed The Anthropocene Reviewed by John Green. I listened to it as an Audiobook and Green is a really emotive storyteller. A few of the essays moved me to tears, particularly one about the last Kauai' o'o', a bird that mates for life and spent its whole life searching for a partner that never existed.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Runcible Cat posted:

Stephen Jay Gould for sciency stuff. Tim Cahill for travelly stuff. Prob think of more as soon as post this.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Maggie Nelson and Rebecca Solnit both do excellent books of essays, they have good brains

e: Joan Didion too

Guavanaut posted:

Steve Biko's I Write What I Like.

Reveilled posted:

I really enjoyed The Anthropocene Reviewed by John Green. I listened to it as an Audiobook and Green is a really emotive storyteller. A few of the essays moved me to tears, particularly one about the last Kauai' o'o', a bird that mates for life and spent its whole life searching for a partner that never existed.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Also Blindboy Boatclubs new collection Topographica Hibernia if you're into demented Irish fiction

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Essays? Like long, written down tik toks?

Don't really see it

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

feedmegin posted:

That's why he's using baking powder (that's what's in self-rising flour) not yeast. Probably less authentic or w/e but if it works it works.

To be honest, I've made naan before at home, and it's pretty good, but it's not the same as the thin, slightly charred restaurant stuff - I suspect to get it really right you do need a tandoor oven or at least an industrial flat-top type cooking surface (see also why the supermarket stuff is not even in the ballpark, though obviously you can get closer). Miss where I used to live, though, where I could walk round the corner to the takeaway indian place and they'd sell you just the fresh made naan, 3 for a quid.

My kebab place makes fresh naans on the spot, rolling them out from some super-springy dough, then baking them in this thing a bit like a wood burner. They're great!

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

Also Blindboy Boatclubs new collection Topographica Hibernia if you're into demented Irish fiction

i enjoyed the interview he gave on novara, quite a lot of interesting irish focused history in it

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jel Shaker posted:

i enjoyed the interview he gave on novara, quite a lot of interesting irish focused history in it

I should listen to that - I listen to his pod but rarely hear him being the interviewee unless it's on some dickheaded MSM show which he mostly doesn't do anymore

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Microplastics posted:

Are you telling me I just mix it and bake?

You can with self raising. It won't be as good as yours but I wasn't going to post a complex recipe when trying to convince people to make their own! It's still leagues ahead of store bought.

If you really want to up your game, make a poolish. It's an overnight ferment that adds a shitload of fluffiness and flavour to the bread. It's also the secret to good neopolitan pizza dough.

https://theperfectchocolatechipcookie.com/naanbread.php is the one I'm currently making.

I do it in my ooni pizza oven because I don't have kids, so I just spend money on kitchen equipment like a goof. I actually am having to go to the gym to get more muscle because my carbon steel wok is too goddamn heavy for my weak muscles to do wok hay with without loving up my wrists the next day for work at a desk.

Mebh fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 2, 2024

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Gallloway can be at every PMQs from now on yeah?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

see this is funny cause in rural parts not far from here that word (spelled differently i imagine) means minge

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
and :dong: is wab hehehehehehehehehehehehhehehehehhehehhee

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
fwiw flatbreads like naan and pita cook very well on a ripping hot cast iron on your stove, too, if you don't have a fancy pizza oven (j/k i want to set something like that up too :) )

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

happyhippy posted:

Gallloway can be at every PMQs from now on yeah?

He can, but there’s a lottery for the asking of questions, 15 per session plus the questions for the Labour/SNP leaders, so most sessions you’ll not see him.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Reveilled posted:

He can, but there’s a lottery for the asking of questions, 15 per session plus the questions for the Labour/SNP leaders, so most sessions you’ll not see him.

Thanks.
Still, he can sit there and just shout LIAR every 10 seconds.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Patron Saint of UKMT

https://twitter.com/ActualNames1/status/1764046222694789372

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

happyhippy posted:

Thanks.
Still, he can sit there and just shout LIAR every 10 seconds.

Woah there, can't be shouting liar at proven liars. That's unparliamentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I'm certain I've proselytised about this before but I think the best Indian bread you can get at home without ordering it from a restaurant or building a tandoor in your back garden, is a frozen paratha.

Particularly the Shana brand ones - I'm sure there are other brands that do it the same, but Shana are the best I've found. They're thin discs of frozen uncooked dough. You whack them in a medium-hot un-oiled non-stick frying pan for about 45 seconds, flip them over for another 45 seconds... and that's it. They cook and puff up and taste nearly identical to restaurant ones.

For the unitiated, paratha are like a really buttery, flakey, almost croissant-like roti and they are amazing. They're not similar to a naan, really, but I think I prefer them to naan anyway. *Definitely* better than any kind of frozen or heat-at-home supermarket naan.

The frozen rotis are similarly good, but roti are not quite as indulgent as parathas.

Be aware that some other brands sell frozen *pre-cooked* parathas which are still better than not having any, but nowhere near as good as the frozen uncooked dough disks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMKClKm2G1k

They do garlic or onion ones too which are amazing. I think they also do (or at least, some other brands do) potato or cauliflower-stuffed parathas but IMO those aren't as good.

Oh, and they're also basically the same thing as Chinese scallion pancakes, though I think parathas have more fat.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 2, 2024