Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I would swear it kills hive guardians in one clip but its also possible im not paying enough attention.

Good stagger on it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
https://twitter.com/NeitheYAGI/status/1763817232268710365

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The napalm on the other hand is perfect for it.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Am I understanding equipment slots correctly? So you get a primary, secondary, support weapon and backpack slot, but some of the support weapons need your backpack slot for ammo?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
I'm an idiot. Is there a way to search for missions by time? Sometimes I only have time for a quick 10 minute mission but everything I see now is 40.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Riatsala posted:

Am I understanding equipment slots correctly? So you get a primary, secondary, support weapon and backpack slot, but some of the support weapons need your backpack slot for ammo?

That's correct. Like the autocannon or the recoilless rifle for example. Both can allow a teammate to wear the backpack and reload you, fires much faster, but not something that seems super worth it because if things get hectic you won't be able to reload yourself.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Riatsala posted:

That sounds right to me, but in a perfect world, someone else carries your ammo backpack and buddy-loads for you.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Internet Explorer posted:

The napalm on the other hand is perfect for it.

napalm is cool until the beacon hits a bug and bounces directly back onto the landing site

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Thank you!

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
The recoilless rifle would be better if a buddy could team load for you even if you are the one wearing the backpack.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Internet Explorer posted:

That's correct. Like the autocannon or the recoilless rifle for example. Both can allow a teammate to wear the backpack and reload you, fires much faster, but not something that seems super worth it because if things get hectic you won't be able to reload yourself.
Counterpoint: if two people are both running autocannon or RR, they can both assisted reload each other when possible and also still be able to do normal reloads

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

bandaid.friend posted:

The confusing thing is, it definitely hits the tank vent, but bounces off the mortar vent

If it was a shredder tank with the 4 guns, i think that has weaker turret armor than the annihilator tank.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Had a game last night where I saw a bot send up his flare for a drop, realized the geometry was perfect for a sentry, and hucked a gatling at him. It deployed before the drop and unzipped it as it happened. I think that was the most satisfying thing I've ever done in a PvE shooter. I feel mostly mediocre at this game, but the design does a wonderful job of occasionally feeding you those moments of pure chewing satisfaction that can make any player feel like a badass.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I feel like the assisted reload mechanic is something that didn't really carry over well from the first game. It SOUNDS COOL, and well it is cool but I've never seen it be used in practice.

In the first game, the top down perspective forced everyone to be relatively close to one another, so it was never a big effort to assisted reload, since you are just a screen away. But now poo poo gets so chaotic, so fast and you have to constantly be moving to avoid AOE bugs or 3 chargers ect its a quick death sentence to slow down and link up that close with someone

LuciferMorningstar posted:

This explains some of the seeming inconsistencies we're seeing. Would be nice if the weapon stats said how weapons actually perform.

This isn't a bad system but the weapon stats need to expose this, AND OR they need a in game enemy faction glossary to tell you what enemy has what armor, I think the first game had this. Or just make it HEAVY/MEDIUM/LIGHT penetration/armor

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 2, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Does the eye of sauron thing just constantly summon backup if it spots people? Been playing too much Elden Ring lately and I instinctively want to keep rocks between me and it so I don't get a full stack of madness so I never figured out what it's supposed to be doing.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

ZeusCannon posted:

The recoilless rifle would be better if a buddy could team load for you even if you are the one wearing the backpack.

This seems like a perfect idea.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

explosivo posted:

Does the eye of sauron thing just constantly summon backup if it spots people? Been playing too much Elden Ring lately and I instinctively want to keep rocks between me and it so I don't get a full stack of madness so I never figured out what it's supposed to be doing.

If it spots you it summons multiple drops at once from what I can tell

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

explosivo posted:

Yes, it brings in a steady stream of dropships to attack you.

ZeusCannon posted:

Yeah, team loading needs to be doable regardless of which person is wearing the backpack. Make "weapon user has backpack" load slightly slower than "loader has backpack" if you really need to (but still much faster than solo), but make it an option.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Yeah not only does it summon drops, it does it above and beyond the normal bot drop budget. Getting spotted by the eye is when poo poo goes downhill fast.

It's a bad day to helldive when eye and jammer towers buddy up.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks, yeah that happened to us last night as we were trying to fight to the base of it to plant a hellbomb. Then the bomb kept bouncing off the ground around it so we had to wait more for another bomb and we were just getting completely overrun. I think we eventually just took it out with an orbital laser and got the gently caress out.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I had a mission once where the extract was right next to one of those loving eye things.

That was an... interesting experience. :shepface: By some miracle we actually made it out, but man were there ever A LOT of laser blasts and chainsaws flying by the end.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 2, 2024

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

after playing earlier i'm pretty confident that shooting charger legs from behind to easily kill them is actually working as intended. they just take full damage if you hit their leg joints and don't have much HP. if you are standing behind the charger then the front leg joints are exposed and if you are in front of the charger then the rear leg joints are exposed. the specific animation they're in doesn't matter.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

after playing earlier i'm pretty confident that shooting charger legs from behind to easily kill them is actually working as intended. they just take full damage if you hit their leg joints and don't have much HP. if you are standing behind the charger then the front leg joints are exposed and if you are in front of the charger then the rear leg joints are exposed. the specific animation they're in doesn't matter.

you can see it clearly in the vid that gets posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okWiUwksefQ&t=249s

look at the first AC shots that bounce off the front armor, and then they try again and the shots land and embed into the armor. it looks like something funky is going on with the code or something

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

you can see it clearly in the vid that gets posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okWiUwksefQ&t=249s

look at the first AC shots that bounce off the front armor, and then they try again and the shots land and embed into the armor. it looks like something funky is going on with the code or something

he's shooting the front leg in in the armor from the front in that clip

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Captain Beans posted:

I feel like the assisted reload mechanic is something that didn't really carry over well from the first game. It SOUNDS COOL, and well it is cool but I've never seen it be used in practice.

In the first game, the top down perspective forced everyone to be relatively close to one another, so it was never a big effort to assisted reload, since you are just a screen away. But now poo poo gets so chaotic, so fast and you have to constantly be moving to avoid AOE bugs or 3 chargers ect its a quick death sentence to slow down and link up that close with someone

This isn't a bad system but the weapon stats need to expose this, AND OR they need a in game enemy faction glossary to tell you what enemy has what armor, I think the first game had this. Or just make it HEAVY/MEDIUM/LIGHT penetration/armor

Mobility is the issue as you say. The game throws a lot of heavy and very killy stuff at you in a very aggressive way that makes it difficult to hunker down in one spot. You can't really team reload while also moving to avoid the chargers/titans or dodging death lasers/rocket barrages aimed at your face. The spawns also frequently will not stop, so hittin' da bricks is heavily incentivized outside the drop ship extraction part. Especially when not everyone has a mic while some who do are loudly mouth breathing as they die IRL into it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Just bought this last night and it seems pretty fun, though I had a bunch of rounds with AFK players and people leaving their mic on playing random home sounds and muttering.

I feel like the difficulty should ramp up a little quicker, at least with the enemy count if not the damage. I have to complete missions in lower difficulties to unlock higher ones but it feels like I’m running around killing seven bugs in a giant map so it’s a bit of a drag.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Something's wrong with this game, or my PC, or my brain. https://www.pcgamebenchmark.com says I meet the recommended specs, but even on the absolute lowest settings the game feels terrible to play - mouse lag (even with mouse smoothing off), stuttering, it feels like I'm playing a streamed game on bad internet.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Something's wrong with this game, or my PC, or my brain. https://www.pcgamebenchmark.com says I meet the recommended specs, but even on the absolute lowest settings the game feels terrible to play - mouse lag (even with mouse smoothing off), stuttering, it feels like I'm playing a streamed game on bad internet.

Start by saying what computer do you have? what resolution you play? what framerate do you get?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Turin Turambar posted:

Start by saying what computer do you have? what resolution you play? what framerate do you get?
ASUS - TUF Gaming F17 17.3"

Screen Resolution
1920 x 1080 (Full HD)

Processor Model
Intel 11th Generation Core i7

System Memory (RAM)
16 gigabytes

Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

I loaded the game, got into the bootcamp tutorial, and the second I began to look around and move the mouse, the game felt bad - mouse lag, stuttering, just awful. I put everything on the absolute lowest setting and made sure mouse smoothing was disabled and it felt better, but still not actually good. And that's the absolute rock bottom settings, which I shouldn't even need to be on based on these requirements I'm seeing.

Maybe my graphics driver is out of date, I'm checking that now, but I was hoping the thread might know of some "potato mode" settings I could try in a config file.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Anyone main Arc Thrower at the moment? Was watching a stream earlier where a guy had gone off on his own to do objectives on a Helldive team and he was rocking Scorcher (which I haven’t got yet) and Arc Thrower. He seemed to do well with it, even against Chargers. Apparently you can strip the armour off their legs with it but I’ll be damned if I can do so, every shot seems to home in on their head. I’ve tried aiming all over the model with it without success.

I want to have a viable alternative to Railgun on higher difficulties because as effective as it is, it’s getting to be pretty boring at this point. At the same time I don’t want to be a drag on the team in terms of effectiveness….

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

ASUS - TUF Gaming F17 17.3"

Screen Resolution
1920 x 1080 (Full HD)

Processor Model
Intel 11th Generation Core i7

System Memory (RAM)
16 gigabytes

Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

I loaded the game, got into the bootcamp tutorial, and the second I began to look around and move the mouse, the game felt bad - mouse lag, stuttering, just awful. I put everything on the absolute lowest setting and made sure mouse smoothing was disabled and it felt better, but still not actually good. And that's the absolute rock bottom settings, which I shouldn't even need to be on based on these requirements I'm seeing.

Maybe my graphics driver is out of date, I'm checking that now, but I was hoping the thread might know of some "potato mode" settings I could try in a config file.

A 3060 should be enough to play at 1080p, even more if it still happens with the lowest settings. You are playing in a laptop, so make sure that it's using the gpu and not the integrated graphics, it's the only thing I can think of. I found other people with that issue, in fact
https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1auf26k/has_anyone_found_a_work_around_for_the_game/
edit: and possible solution https://www.altchar.com/guides/helldivers-2-how-to-fix-graphics-card-selection-issues-a00zD5f2ZST4

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

assisted reloads are situational and require you to have the jump on the target, seems fine. They're obviously not intended for chaotic firefights

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I hope the leaked arc shotgun is a primary. Presumably it will be

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

Just bought this last night and it seems pretty fun, though I had a bunch of rounds with AFK players and people leaving their mic on playing random home sounds and muttering.

I feel like the difficulty should ramp up a little quicker, at least with the enemy count if not the damage. I have to complete missions in lower difficulties to unlock higher ones but it feels like I’m running around killing seven bugs in a giant map so it’s a bit of a drag.

Lol. Just wait bud

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

dog nougat posted:

Lol. Just wait bud

Yeah. Bots go from "Shooting Range" to "The Flash Forwards From Terminator 2" pretty quickly

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

Durzel posted:

Anyone main Arc Thrower at the moment? Was watching a stream earlier where a guy had gone off on his own to do objectives on a Helldive team and he was rocking Scorcher (which I haven’t got yet) and Arc Thrower. He seemed to do well with it, even against Chargers. Apparently you can strip the armour off their legs with it but I’ll be damned if I can do so, every shot seems to home in on their head. I’ve tried aiming all over the model with it without success.

I want to have a viable alternative to Railgun on higher difficulties because as effective as it is, it’s getting to be pretty boring at this point. At the same time I don’t want to be a drag on the team in terms of effectiveness….

Obligatory: I only play Bugs really.

I use Arc Thrower sometimes in Helldive Difficulty but it's a slower weapon that benefits from constantly shooting and keeping medium distance. IMO if you take it, your role is not anti-heavy at all, just leave those to the Railgunners and Always be Shooting at the incoming horde to make space for your Anti-Heavy teammates, and switch to Breaker if something manages to close to melee distance. It can kill anything except heavies fairly quickly. I take the Orbital Railgun and 500kg with it to delete a heavy if I get caught without anti-heavy teammates nearby. I'm not sure if I'd bother trying to get into the perfect spot to hit Charger legs unless you're caught alone. I usually just take out the Breaker and wait for the Railgunners to strip a leg of armor, or ignore it completely and keep zapping the other bugs.

My loadout for this is usually Rover, Arc Thrower, Orbital Railgun, 500kg. Good luck!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That must be the issue, I just played a match with 20 FPS. My global setting it to use the GPU but I'll check the specifics for that game.

Edit: that wasn't it, but what seems tk have been the issue is the entire separate "display" tab where I had the render scale cranked way up. The input lag is gone!

Edit2: gently caress, the input lag is gone but once I'm off the ship and in a mission I'm back to 20 FPS.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 2, 2024

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

bandaid.friend posted:

Alright I took a laser cannon on a mission for a laugh and aimed it at a tank's weakspot and the tank just kinda shivered and exploded. Is this thing actually useful or did someone else blow up the tank

told you

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Does completely wiping every side object/nest/outpost off the map give exponentially more XP/credits or are players just extremely neurotic? It seems like every map I load into has people going fifty miles out of their way to get every single bug nest on a map, even if the objectives are right on top of each other. I get doing them as you go from place to place, but it's kind of repetitive to have to spend 30 minutes running around the map doing bug nests on the other side of the map when you could pop the objective and be out in there in five.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

sounds to me like theyre strong believers in managed democracy