Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

who?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

joann fabrics i assume

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

that place feels like such a relic of the 80s and 90s that I can't imagine how anyone still shops there

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Vox Nihili posted:

If they're typical Americans most of that will be eaten up by two car payments, daycare, loan payments, and other bills. Gotta keep up with the Joneses.

I thought keeping up with the Joneses was about having the same quality new fridge and matching countertops that your neighbors do, the stuff you listed sounds like "basic necessities" excluding loan payments that could include Affirm Fridge and Countertop Payment Plans

Childcare is cheaper here than in LA by a chunk but costs us about $1800/mo, so, of their people are living on 10k a month and putting 6500 into a mortgage I hope that they don't have kids.

Our biweekly grocery bills for a family of 4 are $3-500 now, as well.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

triple sulk posted:

that place feels like such a relic of the 80s and 90s that I can't imagine how anyone still shops there

I shop there often, and I don't look forward to not having a good, relatively cheap local option for uncut fabric

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

triple sulk posted:

People still have hobbies.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I thought keeping up with the Joneses was about having the same quality new fridge and matching countertops that your neighbors do, the stuff you listed sounds like "basic necessities" excluding loan payments that could include Affirm Fridge and Countertop Payment Plans

A nice kitchen is useful and the neighbors can't see it from the street. "Keeping up with the Joneses" is cars, boats, swimming pools, things that can be seen from the curb. There's no real intention to use them.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

They were acquired by private equity, pushed to IPO in 2021 and all the debt was dumped on the bag holders that are now going to eat the bankruptcy. America baybee

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Gorson posted:

A nice kitchen is useful and the neighbors can't see it from the street. "Keeping up with the Joneses" is cars, boats, swimming pools, things that can be seen from the curb. There's no real intention to use them.

speak for yourself brokeass
https://www.theatlantic.com/family/archive/2024/01/uncovered-windows-curtains-wealthy-neighborhoods/677204/

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Beached Whale posted:

They were acquired by private equity, pushed to IPO in 2021 and all the debt was dumped on the bag holders that are now going to eat the bankruptcy. America baybee

Ah, the Toys R Us strategy

Apr 7, 2003

Waving to passers-by while I take a poo poo

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

narcissistic exhibitionists in my neighborhood?!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

triple sulk posted:

Nah Joann’s is great if you need to do crafty stuff.

The one in Asheville is always slammed.

Also cheapest place to get something framed.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

oh so its like a Michael’s?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

An actual useful retailer destroyed.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

JoAnn's should have pivoted to AI

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Scarabrae posted:

oh so its like a Michael’s?

Yeah but most people say it’s better.

No idea why, I’m not crafty.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

also I have no idea if it’s coincidence but at&t had that major outage and the telecom I work for revoked access for all offshore workers and gave them 30 days pay and gtfo citing security concerns, I actually feel like I have actual job security for the first time in a decade. So I’ve taken over responsibilities for those teams while we figure out how to hire more US personnel

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
joanns is really fuckin' depressing. we have one we go to sometimes for halloween costumes/decor and it's like a mottled late-stage k-mart in disarray, half the shelves blank, like 2 employees for hte store, everything fairly grimey. it's been that way for around 4 years and ive been expecting this for awhile now

not surprised

Beached Whale posted:

and yeah the store should have never been IPO'd, these stores like michaels/hobby lobby/whatever are not a perma-bull growth industry

Xaris has issued a correction as of 20:53 on Mar 2, 2024

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Scarabrae posted:

narcissistic exhibitionists in my neighborhood?!

I've got cheap furniture that's been ravaged by pets and children, but I still keep my blinds open.

Am I supposed to feel shame? gently caress that, get some sunlight.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
craft stores tend to have little selection compared to dedicated sewing stores, though probably more profitable

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
i am begging you, learn a useful lifeskill that isn't touch computer and eat hot chip

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah but most people say it’s better.

No idea why, I’m not crafty.

we have a Michael’s near me and it’s the most depressing place. 90% seasonal garbage crowding out actual art supplies, one vaguely haunted employee wandering the floor. it’s hard to imagine a store that isn’t better

Apr 7, 2003

RealityWarCriminal posted:

i am begging you, learn a useful lifeskill that isn't touch computer and eat hot chip

No

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Akratic Method posted:

we have a Michael’s near me and it’s the most depressing place. 90% seasonal garbage crowding out actual art supplies, one vaguely haunted employee wandering the floor. it’s hard to imagine a store that isn’t better

yeah joanns isnt that dissimilar except even more empty.

we have actual discount fabric warehouse stores around here so that's where we usually for for sewing projects. though man, fabric is loving expensive. its kinda crazy that its still much cheaper to buy clothes than to make one from a roll of fabric

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Economist round up. Been awhile.

Wolfers: nothing interesting

Furman: being a bitch, but also interesting in terms of inflstion. https://twitter.com/jasonfurman/status/1763562425138151878?t=wqoLxVqyypnrb4J0pxT9zQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/jasonfurman/status/1763276374520074757?t=-Z___NksYYE-g6cp0ml44A&s=19

Krugman: out of touch as usual
https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1762982257105805401?t=sNjhHaYkAt7_etVyJ4O5_Q&s=19
https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1763230601258184769?t=P8qVEwR1AHhDvcJxuBENfw&s=19
https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1762806240055378179?t=gUauzTIj0r9DKNSmXgm34A&s=19
https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/1763951799197917211?t=ZXFOBt08iy_Y-Ec1jWbG4g&s=19
He didn't like this reading before, but now loves it.
https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1761898264800989367?t=dvAAf_I0KY0lRYVEaJknew&s=19

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Private Equity is a real disease

Buy the company on debt, load said company up with debt you used to buy them, rip the copper wiring out of the walls and burn the joint down

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

hate all these freaks

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Xaris posted:

hate all these freaks

Love that they write policy.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

I trapped a raccoon that was trying to live under my deck, I think that counts as a life skill

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"These rural idiots just want people to tell them what they want to hear" said the economist insisting that you not believe your lying eyes because the economy is wonderful, without any apparent irony.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

We don't have curtains mostly because they're very expensive

That's not something this article speaks to

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mr Hootington posted:

The federal reserve is saying nobody has excess savings. This opinion piece is wrong.

That's because you haven't adjusted your expectation for inflation and are stuck in the 1950s, see:

The rest of the plots:

Lucky Ducky made it big in the pandemic (which is over).

It's good to be old again.

Everything is still better than in 2019 and you don't have to worry. But also what is even the point of that graph, credit card utilization as a percentage of household income or just in absolute would be way more useful than as a percentage of credit limits, for all I know banks just doubled everyone's limits in the last 5 years.

Should have put the actual share for one group or the other.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

what does that have to do with economics

Spoondick posted:

best healthcare system in the world

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

been an awful lot of hacks in the Gov/Private Sector these past few weeks

would almost seem deliberate:iiam:

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I want a nice updated hardwood floored modern kitchen and bathroom two story house in a good area with a private nature filled backyard for under 500k. thanks

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Precambrian Video Games posted:

That's because you haven't adjusted your expectation for inflation and are stuck in the 1950s, see:

The rest of the plots:

Lucky Ducky made it big in the pandemic (which is over).

It's good to be old again.

Everything is still better than in 2019 and you don't have to worry. But also what is even the point of that graph, credit card utilization as a percentage of household income or just in absolute would be way more useful than as a percentage of credit limits, for all I know banks just doubled everyone's limits in the last 5 years.

Should have put the actual share for one group or the other.

Changed my mind. Everything is alright.

Apr 7, 2003

Nice of that chart up there to not tell us how household wealth for the bottom fifth is doing

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Nice of that chart up there to not tell us how household wealth for the bottom fifth is doing

Who?

Also it was my fault for pasting into too small of an image, it's 26 and 8%.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

lol we pay 150% of our mortgage in childcare each month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
drat where can I get the kind of massage those numbers got?