Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Section Z posted:

If you are with a group of friends already at max, glory for SUPER EARTH!

But when playing with strangers? Most of them are probably still desperate for samples and medals and not built for loving off to (successfully) grab them solo.
I'm built for grabbing samples and medals solo at 7 or above, but not 6.

Difficulty 6 is just a bunch of bullshit grasshopper patrols and they never loving stop.

Edit: Like... Chargers? Chargers are some bullshit, but once you get above one charger on you, like... 3 chargers? 4? It doesn't matter. You're running and dodging, and they have some issues lining up more shots.

Bile Titans? 2 Bile Titans... it's some bullshit but I'm going to make them come together and drop a 500kg. And if I die, it will have been glorious.

Those loving spewers? Yeah those can be some bullshit but I usually run Grenade Launcher, so I pop those fuckers all the time.

But Grasshoppers? You can't outrun grasshoppers. And if you don't take care of them quickly enough, you will be surrounded by like 20 of them. You have to stop running and fight, and clear the fuckers out. And then there will be a breach. And more hopper patrols.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Darth Walrus posted:

I've noticed that bug difficulty 4+ has bile titans as assassination targets. Just so I'm prepped for when I have to do that, what's the best approach for low/mid-tier players to kill those things? Use EATs to blow holes in their armour and then pour small arms fire in like you would with a Charger? Are they slow enough for orbital/airstrikes to reliably hit them, and if so, which offensive stratagems will get through their armour?

A single well placed EAT can take down a bile Titan if you hit them in the head while they are charging up a bile blast, although blowing off some armor and hitting it with small arms is more reliable. I do love quickly downing a pair of them though

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

Janissary Hop posted:

If you're at the point where you don't need xp / stratagem cash anymore... what exactly are you farming samples / medals for? There are only so many warbands / ship upgrades that are actually worth purchasing. I get not feeling like blowing up every single bug hole every single mission, but I do not get speedrunning for objectives, especially if you're doing the same mission over and over.

Speaking as someone capped on nearly everything, it's just personally more fun to play Mr. Professional Soldier than Mr. Video Game Currency Collector, and part of that is avoiding the bad Non-Mission-Critical fights, but I'm not going to tell other people how to have fun their way.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Time for some quality gaming journalism on new stratagems appearing stealthily in the wild.

quote:

Although it seems like there may not be much rhyme or reason as to why these new stratagems are suddenly appearing, it does make sense when reminded that Helldivers 2 has a Game Master who oversees how the overall battle is played. Although nothing by Arrowhead Game Studios has been officially confirmed, it may be a safe assumption to assume that the Game Master is potentially teasing new stratagems before releasing them to the entire player base.

The sole gm is beta testing unreleased strategems. :hmmyes:

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

plus farming medals still makes sense because theyve said theyre gonna be adding more poo poo to the war bonds

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Eediot Jedi posted:

Time for some quality gaming journalism on new stratagems appearing stealthily in the wild.

The sole gm is beta testing unreleased strategems. :hmmyes:

Having Joel release new content (aka Strategems) via the free Strat planet bonus is pretty goddamn clever.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Also was in a game where someone kept teamkilling the host and I and not reviving us. I asked them why they would TK when there is no benefit since everyone gets all samples. They let me know I’m a whiny bitch and can watch a real man play a game, bragged about how he has my cool gun and autocannon, all the yummy ammo, and I’m a cuck and he’s the alpha.

I let the host know that he can kick them and it will respawn us, and so he kicked him as soon as they called in extraction. Got a steam message from the guy filled with plenty of various slurs for all kinds of things, so reported on steam and ingame since they were saying their nonsense right in chat.

I have 26 hours in game and that’s been my only troll so far. But drat haven’t seen shittiness like that in a long time.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Baby T. Love posted:

Speaking as someone capped on nearly everything, it's just personally more fun to play Mr. Professional Soldier than Mr. Video Game Currency Collector, and part of that is avoiding the bad Non-Mission-Critical fights, but I'm not going to tell other people how to have fun their way.

mr professional soldier would shoot every bug and robot on sight for the glory of managed democracy

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Blowing up bot bases is fun, fighting bug nests is a chore.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Blowing up everything is fun actually

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Darox posted:

Yeah, I much prefer fighting automatons, primarily because it's easier to see poo poo and see what needs to be blown up. But also because berzerkers running at you through smoke in the night is fun as hell.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
If Im hosting it depends on the group of randos. Are we breezing through the objectives with nary a revive used? Sure lets wipe this map clean. Does it take 12 revives to get some launch codes? Maybe let's head for extraction and only hit the ones on the way.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
7 plus I only give a poo poo about the super samples, but medals are good because i'm a dork LOYAL CITIZEN and i want to unlock everything in the warbonds. But I also don't care at all about min/max sik farming strats, cos I'm not a filthy dissident :blastu:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Fishstick posted:

If Im hosting it depends on the group of randos. Are we breezing through the objectives with nary a revive used? Sure lets wipe this map clean. Does it take 12 revives to get some launch codes? Maybe let's head for extraction and only hit the ones on the way.

Also this, you gotta know when to cut & run

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Darox posted:

Orbital lasers will kill factories just like that, but only rarely will they close a hole. Also chargers need to die a whole lot faster to OLs, it basically took the entire charge to kill two. That’s bullshit

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Think it really depends on the luck of your drop. Sometimes you'll drop right on top of a group of bugs or bots and have to scramble to get organized and have to burn through a bunch of reinforcements to get back on track. Generally dropping close to water or "invalid drop point" is safer, but there's no way to really know. Kinda love the initial scramble of dropping in hot immediately and having to fight your way out to get organized.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Amazing. A+.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Orbital lasers will kill factories just like that, but only rarely will they close a hole. Also chargers need to die a whole lot faster to OLs, it basically took the entire charge to kill two. That’s bullshit

railcannon strike in the corner, crying

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Durzel posted:

Anyone main Arc Thrower at the moment? Was watching a stream earlier where a guy had gone off on his own to do objectives on a Helldive team and he was rocking Scorcher (which I haven’t got yet) and Arc Thrower. He seemed to do well with it, even against Chargers. Apparently you can strip the armour off their legs with it but I’ll be damned if I can do so, every shot seems to home in on their head. I’ve tried aiming all over the model with it without success.

I want to have a viable alternative to Railgun on higher difficulties because as effective as it is, it’s getting to be pretty boring at this point. At the same time I don’t want to be a drag on the team in terms of effectiveness….

In my limited experience on helldive where someone brought the arc thrower, was the person using the arc thrower on our team went off and died constantly. They couldn’t hold their flank, or deal with the outcome of not properly wiping patrols. Went poo poo hit the fan they were a net negative, and did team damage which zapped our shields and so we got slowed and died to the massive enemy blobs.

On one hand it was different which is a success on its own, but it was not effective. Maybe it’s best used in pairs but as a solo it just didn’t have the staying power on helldive. It could certainly work on 7s

Janissary Hop posted:

If you're at the point where you don't need xp / stratagem cash anymore... what exactly are you farming samples / medals for? There are only so many warbands / ship upgrades that are actually worth purchasing. I get not feeling like blowing up every single bug hole every single mission, but I do not get speedrunning for objectives, especially if you're doing the same mission over and over.

It’s been covered already but not everyone is a skull admiral on your team. Even if the missions are the same they seldom play out the same at all.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

This is how it should be done.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

railcannon strike in the corner, crying

It should

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The single use AT stuff is really good for taking out Chargers solo. Two hits mostly kills them and there is enough stripped armor to just finish them off with anything. The cool down is 90 seconds so you can just drop these things everywhere. It worked great in 2 out of 3 missions, but when you get swarmed they are less useful.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I still am having a blast with the auto cannon. A little matador work and you can unload into a chargers back and do tons of damage. Then it’s also great against most every other enemy and even adds a bit of crowd control as you work.

The reload and shots between reloads are huge luxuries compared to the recoilless rifle and ammo boxes refill a ton of shots.

It’s also great at taking out bile spewers with two shots to the head or three to the abdomen

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

turn off the TV posted:

mr professional soldier would shoot every bug and robot on sight for the glory of managed democracy

Lucky for me I don't see the nests I ignore. :smug:

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
It just sucks you get like 4+ chargers at a time when poo poo gets serious. I can absolutely accept their armour being strong but they clearly should be taking more damage when getting shot in the rear end. I'd like to see that changed (fixed?).

Bile titans are less dangerous.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Rusty posted:

The single use AT stuff is really good for taking out Chargers solo. Two hits mostly kills them and there is enough stripped armor to just finish them off with anything. The cool down is 90 seconds so you can just drop these things everywhere. It worked great in 2 out of 3 missions, but when you get swarmed they are less useful.

I love the EAT because it lets you run a primary heavy weapon and just drop it for a bit when you need to do AT things. I like running auto cannon EAT vs robots and MG EAT vs bugs. I agree with the “just drop them everywhere” mentality too - even if there’s not an immediate threat, if you’re in a central area or pushing a POI just get them out so they’re sitting there when you need them.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

ErKeL posted:

It just sucks you get like 4+ chargers at a time when poo poo gets serious. I can absolutely accept their armour being strong but they clearly should be taking more damage when getting shot in the rear end. I'd like to see that changed (fixed?).

Bile titans are less dangerous.

Yeah they really suck in numbers

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Just started a mission by dialing in an eagle airstrike by muscle memory instead of my support weapon. I hope the people I was with realized I am merely severely mentally disabled and not actively trolling.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I am severely limited by green samples.. I'd say I could clear out most of the upgrades besides the green req

The sniper is actually pretty good against bots even up to helldive difficulty. I jsut wish it had more ammo

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

causticBeet posted:

I love the EAT because it lets you run a primary heavy weapon and just drop it for a bit when you need to do AT things. I like running auto cannon EAT vs robots and MG EAT vs bugs. I agree with the “just drop them everywhere” mentality too - even if there’s not an immediate threat, if you’re in a central area or pushing a POI just get them out so they’re sitting there when you need them.

it's frustrating when i drop a bunch of EATs for the team and everyone fastidiously avoids them. they are there to shoot! shoot them at the bugs!!

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Chard posted:

it's frustrating when i drop a bunch of EATs for the team and everyone fastidiously avoids them. they are there to shoot! shoot them at the bugs!!

people don't realize the EAT is fine even as a single shot grenade launcher. if there are two hunters next to each other just EAT em!

never not shoot rockets

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://x.com/pilestedt/status/1764092325477732398?s=46&t=I-gsjpvNkUNcOBofs8OOkQ

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Tom Tucker posted:

I still am having a blast with the auto cannon. A little matador work and you can unload into a chargers back and do tons of damage. Then it’s also great against most every other enemy and even adds a bit of crowd control as you work.

The reload and shots between reloads are huge luxuries compared to the recoilless rifle and ammo boxes refill a ton of shots.

It’s also great at taking out bile spewers with two shots to the head or three to the abdomen

I'm also in love with the AC, especially on bot missions. It's just so versatile, I can snipe hulks and devastators from miles away, blow up fabs and cannon towers without getting near the base, take out three striders in the time it takes a railgun to kill one. The lack of a backpack feels worse on bug missions where you can get swarmed by hunters so easily, but it also means you can take 3 orbitals/eagles so you have enough space for single target and crowd control. If you get good at charger kiting you can sometimes take them out in two hits the back leg joint. I don't think I'll ever give it up for the railgun.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Tom Tucker posted:

I have a tough time choosing between the AC and grenade launcher. They're both a ton of fun and good against roughly the same things.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Janissary Hop posted:

You need a lot of medals to finish both war bonds.

But winning operations wins planets and your rating is largely irrelevant for participation.

Secondary objectives and holes / fabs also don't give anything but xp and requisition so it's pointless to go out of your way to do them if you don't care about those things.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I like secondary objectives because they can affect the rest of the mission. Artillery and SAM sites are good examples or purging a hated Stalker nest.

But some like the rogue transmission or research base are only if i have time / rockets

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Janissary Hop posted:

Just started a mission by dialing in an eagle airstrike by muscle memory instead of my support weapon. I hope the people I was with realized I am merely severely mentally disabled and not actively trolling.

Scramble is a very fun modifier.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Starting to hit a wall playing with pubbies at difficulty six I'm not good enough to carry folks.

My last mission ended with 0 reinforcements when a teammate's gatling sentry aggroed the bile titan I had successfully snuck past, so I dropped an orbital railgun on him, and as he died I was immediately stepped on by the other bile titan they had aggroed.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Tom Tucker posted:

Starting to hit a wall playing with pubbies at difficulty six I'm not good enough to carry folks.

hard same. every group I random into at difficulty 6 is average level ~12.

I just got to 20, don't expect me to drive this bus if y'all are gonna keep killing yourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Tom Tucker posted:

My last mission ended with 0 reinforcements when a teammate's gatling sentry aggroed the bile titan I had successfully snuck past, so I dropped an orbital railgun on him, and as he died I was immediately stepped on by the other bile titan they had aggroed.

My favorite is when those people also mock people for having less kills

No poo poo I have less kills. I killed maybe 20 bugs closing a large nest and moved on. They arrived at a 1 hole light nest and fought every patrol within a quarter mile radius and ended up with 300 bugs + 4 bile titans they slugged it out with.