Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Jedit posted:

Trust me, nobody here thinks that's normal. Even the Finns don't, and you should see what they call liquorice.

You're right. I googled "finnish locorice" and it's pretty vile

:nws:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

spookykid posted:

I had a 1996 Suburban 2500 that I got for absolutely cheap in 2004, like $1500. The reason for the price was the previous owner had used it when he was moving, and had a 40 gallon fish tank break in the back. It didn't have any fish in it, but it did have about 10 gallons of water, a ton of aquarium gravel, and all the coral and little fish accessories in it when it broke. I had to rip out all the carpet, the underfloor insulation and sound deadening material, and anything that had possibly come in contact with the water. Even after replacing all that, the thing still smelled off when I sold it in 2011. It's like the smell had gotten into the headliner and seats, and even after swapping those out it just never went away.

I've brought this up in other threads: Forget keying cars or putting a potato in the tailpipe as a means for getting back at some dickhead driver in your neighbourhood. If you really want revenge (or if you're just a menace), get a bunch of anchovy oil into a squeeze bottle, and on a hot summer day, squirt it into the car's AC ducts (the vents at the base of the windshield).

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

gbut posted:

Myuk.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Burn the car. You are never, ever getting the smell out.

A surströmming Wunderbaum will cover the odor up.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Mister Speaker posted:

I've brought this up in other threads: Forget keying cars or putting a potato in the tailpipe as a means for getting back at some dickhead driver in your neighbourhood. If you really want revenge (or if you're just a menace), get a bunch of anchovy oil into a squeeze bottle, and on a hot summer day, squirt it into the car's AC ducts (the vents at the base of the windshield).

Heh, a business partner of mine did this to a guy who kept blocking his warehouse exit with a van. After several polite attempts to get him to stop, he took a bunch of fish guts, left them in the sun in a plastic bag for a couple of weeks and then poured the resulting goop into the air ducts. The van was never seen again.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

spookykid posted:

I had a 1996 Suburban 2500 that I got for absolutely cheap in 2004, like $1500. The reason for the price was the previous owner had used it when he was moving, and had a 40 gallon fish tank break in the back. It didn't have any fish in it, but it did have about 10 gallons of water, a ton of aquarium gravel, and all the coral and little fish accessories in it when it broke. I had to rip out all the carpet, the underfloor insulation and sound deadening material, and anything that had possibly come in contact with the water. Even after replacing all that, the thing still smelled off when I sold it in 2011. It's like the smell had gotten into the headliner and seats, and even after swapping those out it just never went away.

Moving a fish task without removing the water is some prime schad thread material.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Tagra posted:

Moving a fish task without removing the water is some prime schad thread material.

Some serious weapons-grade idiocy right there, JFC.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Mister Speaker posted:

Back in my day it was skunk musk (used to mask your scent when hunting) and a syringe to put it down between the window and door, they'd never find the source without dismantling things :evilbuddy:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

gbut posted:

Ask a swede what these were called when they were kids.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Takes No Damage posted:

Back in my day it was skunk musk (used to mask your scent when hunting) and a syringe to put it down between the window and door, they'd never find the source without dismantling things :evilbuddy:

Anchovies in the curtain runners.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

GotLag posted:

If it had four panels in the centre then the opening could be 90° of the circle instead of the 60° it has to be with three.

Yeah but less space for a person, and most people are fat.

Takes No Damage posted:

Sure, when the product is supposed to ferment in the can.

An old favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjwrZ1-WjsI&t=282s

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 23:39 on Mar 2, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah but less space for a person, and most people are fat.

Doors are a privilege, not a right :colbert:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Doors are a privilege, not a right :colbert:

same with communism

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

I got a bagged whole raw chicken that looked like that from grocery pickup once. The bored teen pulling the orders did not understand why I did want to buy that one.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Tagra posted:

When my nightmare downstairs neighbour was finally evicted, out of morbid curiosity I asked the landlords/store owners if I could check out the place. It was like something out of a SAW movie, flickering lights or no lights at all in some rooms, a bathroom that looked like it had been dug out of the ground and left without walls or a floor, a weird film all over the kitchen space...

But the thing that struck me most was the giant, murky, stinky aquarium in one of the lightless rooms. I didn't investigate further than a glance, but I remember the guy enjoyed fishing in the river (in downtown Toronto) and I feel like he told me something about keeping trout and whatever. It was disgusting. I wonder how the landlords got all the water out of the place. Maybe they didn't, maybe they didn't clean the place at all, because the basement has been vacant since he left.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

There is something really uniquely loving disgusting about the smell of an uncared for aquarium.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://i.imgur.com/OSNJ6ll.mp4

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

canyoneer posted:

I got a bagged whole raw chicken that looked like that from grocery pickup once. The bored teen pulling the orders did not understand why I did want to buy that one.
I'd be way more concerned about the kid if he did understand why you wanted murder chicken

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Fuckin Exhibit A in: always wear a helmet while cycling

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Philippe posted:

Fuckin Exhibit A in: always wear a helmet while cycling

hard to call that cycling, looks more like jackassery*

*helmet even more important there

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A friend went to retrieve a box of vintage magazines and newspapers he had in storage and discovered that wasps had been living in it for a while

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I feel calling tv weekly"vintage magazine" is overselling the scale of the loss.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

A friend went to retrieve a box of vintage magazines and newspapers he had in storage and discovered that wasps had been living in it for a while

My grandparents had some old National Geographics out in a shed for probably decades. When we finally went to clear it out we found that they had just fused together into a block and wasps had built right into them.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

That is a box of nightmares

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
i would have called it a loss and set fire to the box

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

That's the box they use for the Gom Jabbar test.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

steinrokkan posted:

I feel calling tv weekly"vintage magazine" is overselling the scale of the loss.

'Vintage' just means 'at least 20 years old' so anything from before 2005 is vintage. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is vintage.

Also my friend runs a scifi collectables stall so if he saved that particular magazine it probably had an interview with some obscure British scifi actor or something

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas is vintage.

Motherfucker! :mad:

e: actually this made me think can video games become antique at some point. I doubt that a Pac-Man cabinet from 1980 is going to work in 2080 without some extensive replacement of electronics, and at some point it becomes an arcade of Theseus. But if we consider just the software then if we could preserve all the data so that even WW3 wouldn't wipe it out, then later civilizations could recover the binaries etched on golden plates and hidden in a mountain cave, build an emulator and play Big Rigs thousands of years from now.

Nenonen has a new favorite as of 12:00 on Mar 3, 2024

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Nenonen posted:

Motherfucker! :mad:

e: actually this made me think can video games become antique at some point. I doubt that a Pac-Man cabinet from 1980 is going to work in 2080 without some extensive replacement of electronics, and at some point it becomes an arcade of Theseus. But if we consider just the software then if we could preserve all the data so that even WW3 wouldn't wipe it out, then later civilizations could recover the binaries etched on golden plates and hidden in a mountain cave, build an emulator and play Big Rigs thousands of years from now.

Games themselves do not become antiques(no one involved in antiques cares about the actual use or fun of it), but just like any other thing, if you've got some older, limited edition version that's been vacuum sealed, someone is going to go insane over it on eBay.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Nenonen posted:

This Is Not a Game of Honor.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

Games themselves do not become antiques(no one involved in antiques cares about the actual use or fun of it), but just like any other thing, if you've got some older, limited edition version that's been vacuum sealed, someone is going to go insane over it on eBay.

look at the stunning craftsmanship they put into this muppet adventure :

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

Antique is maybe wrong term to use for software, it is better probably more comparable to ancient classics like Cicero or Plato. What types of data are going to survive from our time, and what kind of picture will they give of us to people 1000 years after us?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

remember when a goon sent a goon a playstation full of mealworms

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

NoiseAnnoys posted:

look at the stunning craftsmanship they put into this muppet adventure :

"Chads at the Carnival"

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
Chess
Go
Doom

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Mindless posted:

Chess
Go
Doom

It sure do.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Vintage is 20 years ago. You know, the 70s!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Nenonen posted:

What types of data are going to survive from our time, and what kind of picture will they give of us to people 1000 years after us?

*nervously deleting all of my posts*