Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Wasn’t too sure about assassins fantasy: final creed but after 100%ing the grasslands, im really enjoying this. My map shows I have 5/5 of the quests done, but only 2/3 of the icon next to it. I can’t figure out what I’m missing, or what the icon represents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Every once in a while I do like a game where I run around a big map doing little things, as long as those things are fun. And they are in this one, so I'm having a pretty great time.

Something I'd be interested in from a game dev point of view is what's the deal with most open world games specifically having towers that place icons around your map. Clearly those solve a design problem common to open worlds because they're so common, and I'm just legitimately curious what that is and why this is such an apparently effective solution. Maybe just as simple as giving you a highly visible landmark to center your exploration of a zone around?

Harrow fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 3, 2024

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Ah.

Towers are cool.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've never really minded towers myself

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Cloud Strife, Segway Menace.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Lmao did yuffie always Naruto run?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like I'm misunderstanding something about the targeting system.

I just struggled with one of the Junon combat simulations (the one with all the fliers), partly because I'd be wailing on a staggered enemy and then, out of nowhere, my target which change and my character would launch themselves towards another enemy. But the original enemy was still alive.

Is there some weird quirk to the lock-on function? It definitely doesn't actually lock-on; my target changes constantly when I'm locked on. It makes me think I'm missing something.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

As a massive fan of the OG who was pretty lukewarm on REmake, I really cannot believe how wonderful this is.

It's everything I imagined when they announced the remake poo poo a decade ago and 1000x more

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like I'm misunderstanding something about the targeting system.

I just struggled with one of the Junon combat simulations (the one with all the fliers), partly because I'd be wailing on a staggered enemy and then, out of nowhere, my target which change and my character would launch themselves towards another enemy. But the original enemy was still alive.

Is there some weird quirk to the lock-on function? It definitely doesn't actually lock-on; my target changes constantly when I'm locked on. It makes me think I'm missing something.

the default targeting is very bad. go into the options and adjust it so that you can only switch targets with the d-pad and make the camera follow whoever you target

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

triple sulk posted:

I love game

I also love game.

There are so many little aspects from the OG that I thought "well how are they gonna fit that into a modern game?" and they did it and it rocks.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Just got to the Gold Saucer

This is the greatest game in history

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Don't have a fire cow, man
If you don't pet the chocobo chick at every rest stop you're a cop

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Game is so drat long. Feels like i'm very far in, but I know there's still a couple regions I haven't even been to yet.

Also alot of experiences where it feels like i'm about to go into a actiony cutscene and then nope, it's a gameplay segment.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Okay, really starting to hate the last stage of Fort Condor. It's probably not actually the case, but I can't help getting the feeling that the commander's troops are always stronger than mine and that he can summon as many of him as he likes. The one time I got close to whittling his health down, apparently at random, he decided to stop time.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

the default targeting is very bad. go into the options and adjust it so that you can only switch targets with the d-pad and make the camera follow whoever you target

Thanks; this sounds like it should address my issues, at least some.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Okay, really starting to hate the last stage of Fort Condor. It's probably not actually the case, but I can't help getting the feeling that the commander's troops are always stronger than mine and that he can summon as many of him as he likes. The one time I got close to whittling his health down, apparently at random, he decided to stop time.

nothing random about it, that stop spell is his trump card. you need to have ranged units and clerics on standby so they can attack outside the spell's area of effect

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

lmao what is the actual like, dodge timing on attacks, I have tried to do this frickin combat challenge where i have to dodge an attack to pressure them and I have missed it literally 23 times lmfao

I have played the game for 20 hours at this point and i have not really blocked or dodged anything with any precision lol

edit: got it as soon as i posted lmao

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 3, 2024

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

nothing random about it, that stop spell is his trump card. you need to have ranged units and clerics on standby so they can attack outside the spell's area of effect

Well, I meant that it was random that I managed to whittle him down at all, and it seems equally random whether I'll have any units, either.

Is there a secret to using clerics to keep your guys up? Basically everything seems to vanish immediately once there's a guy from the opposite side of the weapon triangle in the mix.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lmao what is the actual like, dodge timing on attacks, I have tried to do this frickin combat challenge where i have to dodge an attack to pressure them and I have missed it literally 23 times lmfao

I have played the game for 20 hours at this point and i have not really blocked or dodged anything with any precision lol

The secret is to immediately swap characters when he starts that attack and let the AI dodge it for you. It was significantly better than me.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Well, I meant that it was random that I managed to whittle him down at all, and it seems equally random whether I'll have any units, either.

Is there a secret to using clerics to keep your guys up? Basically everything seems to vanish immediately once there's a guy from the opposite side of the weapon triangle in the mix.

i only used clerics during that final stretch on the final map, when there wasn't anything left to nuke my units except the commander. posted my strategy earlier today

Oxxidation posted:

i used the fourth board, base defense or whatever it was called, with cloud and tifa as the heroes and set down ballistae at the two chokepoints while blitzing the other side of the map with everything i had. there's still an element of luck in how fast you get to gilgamesh before he can overwhelm you with his specialty units, but the ballistae help chip away at invaders and distract them if they get past your units. once everything converged on greg i summoned another ballista right across from him, along with two clerics and more ranged units. the clerics kept all my melee characters alive while the ranged stayed far enough away so they wouldn't get caught in his Stop spell

to add on, cloud and tifa will vaporize pretty much everything around them when summoned, so they're good for clearing a particularly clogged chokepoint in a pinch

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Now the next one is this stupid "Prevent them from flying while they do an ability that repeatedly knocks down your whole party" lol.

This is where MAI is getting annoying, did you know their talons can pierce through solid stone

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Now the next one is this stupid "Prevent them from flying while they do an ability that repeatedly knocks down your whole party" lol.

This is where MAI is getting annoying, did you know their talons can pierce through solid stone

blizzard magic and lots of it. aerith is best because she can build atb at a distance

that's the only challenge i've run into so far that got me spitting mad

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Wow, I almost made a panicked error, in that fight I accidentally hit restart from checkpoint instead of restart battle which would have sent me back to the last story checkpoint which was like 5 hours ago, and then I almost saved over my old file trying to go back... luckily i caught myself at the last moment.

Make multiple save files every 5 minutes, folks

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

blizzard magic and lots of it. aerith is best because she can build atb at a distance

that's the only challenge i've run into so far that got me spitting mad

oh this was a good tactic, i made an aerith/barret squad and also i realized i could finally cast blizzara

junon area almost complete...

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Cinco de Chocobo A rank can burn in hell.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I did the Tier III chocobo races tonight (the easiest ones), gonna try to do the rest tomorrow. Also will maybe be able to finish the main storyline tomorrow? 36 hours in and on Chapter 12.

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

Harrow posted:

Something I'd be interested in from a game dev point of view is what's the deal with most open world games specifically having towers that place icons around your map. Clearly those solve a design problem common to open worlds because they're so common, and I'm just legitimately curious what that is and why this is such an apparently effective solution. Maybe just as simple as giving you a highly visible landmark to center your exploration of a zone around?

one of the guys who worked on the early Assassin's Creed does design consultation now & here's his explanation:

Alexandre Mandryka posted:

As I had the chance to participate in its design, I would like to share with you how we got there, and what made the system so successful that it’s still used in games, 8 years after its debut. As you’ll see its strength can be analyzed through the lens of biology and psychology.

I believe the strength of this mechanic lies on how strongly it motivates players. This is achieved through proposing a clear objective, and a significant reward that immediately follows challenge completion in a very tight loop. This echoes the conditions for flow stated by Csikszentmihalyi that create maximum engagement when performing tasks. Let’s deconstruct the different components that make this system so rewarding and efficient.

The first characteristic is that the reward of unlocking nearby quests comes immediately after synchronizing. This creates a strong and apparent link between cause and effect that brings clarity to the system. The direct reaction to the players actions also represents a dopamine-based reward. It is Nature’s way to motivate us to impact the world around us.

Secondly, the fact that multiple quests are unlocked at once increases the pleasure response as it reinforces the player’s feeling of agency. The bigger the difference between a small action and a big response, the stronger the dopamine release, motivating us to create strong consequences.

The pleasure created by a tight loop with immediate and important reward mimics kids reactions when they press elevator buttons, get the immediate visual and sound feedback and put the whole cab in motion.

the open world in this so far feels less annoying than your typical Ubisoft game so thankfully appears to have not learned too many of the wrong lessons from rear end Creed unless it takes a bad turn later in the game

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I now have 9 hours of playtime and am still on Chapter 2. Is this because as soon as they gave me a chocobo and an open map full of sidequests, I ran off and ignored the plot entirely? Yes. But still an impressive number.

Blankspace posted:

one of the guys who worked on the early Assassin's Creed does design consultation now & here's his explanation:
Yeah, but why a tower specifically? It is always a tower.

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

phallic imagery to entice the gametoucher imo

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CapnAndy posted:

they are the first things you will notice in a large open area

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Towers are tall things that can see other things far away.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Now that I have complained on the internet, I was able to defeat the interdimensional warlock, although being able to do so still honestly felt pretty random. Still, I at least have Queen's Blood to be the game that at least makes a pretense of being sort of fair, so it's not terrible that Fort Condor is basically an exercise in overcoming the opponent's endless bullshit.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I found that a single Aero was enough to pressure them out of that, although I'm not sure if it's because their weakness or because there's a pull on it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Towers are tall things that can see other things far away.

For some reason there is at least one tower that is inside a canyon.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I think the main thing with the open world stuff in this game is that it’s relatively restrained. there’s never an overwhelming amount of icons to chase to the point it becomes tedious, the regions feel big but you can cross them via chocobo relatively quickly, and there are clear, meaningful rewards for everything you do.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lmao beat the final Fort Condor with just 0.08s to spare. The final boss froze all my guys around him when he was almost dead, and they unfroze right as it ended.

For anyone having trouble with that - remember to get/use your hero units (which are "charged" by summoning guys of the same type). Also remember Clerics.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

For anyone having trouble with that - remember to get/use your hero units (which are "charged" by summoning guys of the same type). Also remember Clerics.

Thank you for the tip, I don't think I would have figured this out on my own lol.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I wonder if Hard Mode will put some kind of restriction on fast travel. Since I find it odd how you have to use a cushion to use rest stop benches, but there's nothing stopping you from popping over to a normal bench somewhere else on the map and warping back to the rest stop after healing up.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wow, I almost made a panicked error, in that fight I accidentally hit restart from checkpoint instead of restart battle which would have sent me back to the last story checkpoint which was like 5 hours ago, and then I almost saved over my old file trying to go back... luckily i caught myself at the last moment.

Make multiple save files every 5 minutes, folks

the Restart from Checkpoint option is really bad. I had to manually load an autosave to not lose 45 minutes of progress after losing in a fight. why does it not just load the autosave?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Oh poo poo, Fort Condor is in this game too? I had a blast playing FF7 DotA with Yuffie in intermission.

Also, I say this with love, but did anyone on the dev team have even a single idea that Square said "no, we're not putting that into the game" to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CapnAndy posted:

Oh poo poo, Fort Condor is in this game too? I had a blast playing FF7 DotA with Yuffie in intermission.

Also, I say this with love, but did anyone on the dev team have even a single idea that Square said "no, we're not putting that into the game" to?

I can say with full confidence: no