Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CapnAndy posted:

Also, I say this with love, but did anyone on the dev team have even a single idea that Square said "no, we're not putting that into the game" to?

I would love to know this lol

dev: How many mini games is too many?
Management: yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I really enjoy how much it feels like they recognize how much of FF7 was random-rear end minigames and they just leaned into it even more for the remakes.

Like, I'm expecting the Sub Battle sequences to be like an underwater ace combat or something at this point

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I really enjoy how much it feels like they recognize how much of FF7 was random-rear end minigames and they just leaned into it even more for the remakes.

Like, I'm expecting the Sub Battle sequences to be like an underwater ace combat or something at this point

God i'm so excited at the possibilities for what they can do for part 3.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

7R3 opens with a complete remake of one of those snowboarding games from the PS1/N64 era.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am most looking forward to seeing how Square handles the snowboarding, spaceship rocket launch sequence, and submarine parts of the original, in part 3.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Actually wait.

There's a chance we might get to see Red XIII on a snowboard.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Augus posted:

I can say with full confidence: no

I was actually surprised that I didn't get thrust into a fishing mini game in Junon.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

corel region sidequest lol gently caress the crunches minigame. when I felt the pressure on the triggers increased I immediately decreased the press distance on them. dualsense edge comes through for once.

e: for the second stage I set it up to halfway and got it a good bit between not annoying and also able to do the semi-holds.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Mar 3, 2024

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

BisbyWorl posted:

I wonder if Hard Mode will put some kind of restriction on fast travel. Since I find it odd how you have to use a cushion to use rest stop benches, but there's nothing stopping you from popping over to a normal bench somewhere else on the map and warping back to the rest stop after healing up.

Fast travel makes hard mode awesome. Start chapter 2, do the few things in town, immediately travel to the farm, swamp, farm and swamp again. Boom, boss fight. Chapter 2 finished.

If you follow the chapters, the only restriction is that you can't fast travel to a location that requires a story beat to unlock or a zone from a following chapter.

I have done ch 1-5 storywise on hard mode, but I also loaded chapter 13 hard mode after resetting side quest data, and warped to each zone to do the side quests and special supermonsters for the folios. Start a side quest, fast travel, do a fight or two, side quest finished. Rest on chocobo stop bench to get mp back.

No need to slowly climb mountains with a chocobo or do other traversal things if you already know where to go, and there are often fast travel points to your destinations. It's awesome.

Btw, Red has different dialogue if you do his earlier side quests in ch 13 (or after ch 10).

Pennfalath fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Mar 3, 2024

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, but why a tower specifically? It is always a tower.

Parkour was such an important concept in the original Assassin's Creed games that a tower represented a small challenge and accomplishment (climbing the tower.) I'm almost certain everyone is copying that, and it's kept a tower because it just seems appropriately significant.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Oh my god Yuffie does the Naruto run. Considering she didn’t in the Remake DLC this has gotta be intentional

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Holy gently caress the gold saucer intro made me gay (positive)

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

If you want to have that map mechanic, it's kinda just logically simple to use a tower as your contrivance for it. Whether it be by the character just looking around from high up, or it having some kind of radio equipment.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

Now that I have complained on the internet, I was able to defeat the interdimensional warlock, although being able to do so still honestly felt pretty random. Still, I at least have Queen's Blood to be the game that at least makes a pretense of being sort of fair, so it's not terrible that Fort Condor is basically an exercise in overcoming the opponent's endless bullshit.

hey now, that's not just any interdimensional warlock

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

I'm up to Costa Del Sol and having a blast, apart from Queen's Blood. I lost a few times without really knowing why and bounced off it, skipped it entirely on the cruise, and looked up the solutions for the later stuff. Is there a guide for idiots to understanding how it works? Or am I safe just continuing to ignore it?

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Pro-tip for the Queen’s Blood matches on the ship (and maybe everywhere?): you can pause and reset the match/change your deck infinitely. Is it cheating? Kinda. Did it help me learn to play? Absolutely!

My amateur advice is to use prebuilt deck One For All, then tweak it with cards you pick up.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Man this game has a scary way of monopolising my time. Just ran through Junon to early Costa in one sitting and there was just so much great stuff in this stretch. Very excited to see Infantry Unit 7 again in the return to Midgar next game, and glad to see afte all those interviews of the devs being surprised with how people liked Roche they've decided to just give him a big sequence here.

Also, while the only thing kinda disappointing me is how the difficulty seems less tight than Remake, I just did Full Power Alex and that was a fantastic fight. Even if I kinda cheesed his ult through Phoenix (absolutely insane the game gives you reraise so early).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Jesus this game is so funny.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

So I accept that maybe I’m just bad at the game but I don’t remember having nearly this much trouble with the first remake.

Every battle feels like a huge contest - my aim party members seem like they do nothing and barely build ATB if I’m not directly controlling them, and when I DO directly control them, the enemy AI razor focuses whichever character I’m controlling and goes into a murderous rage, making using my support or caster characters…difficult.

Am I missing something?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Much like Part 1 you're meant to switch often to build atb with everyone and when your support is getting swarmed you swap off them to draw aggro away before jumping back later. Or I guess now, using defensive synergy skills like bodyguard to have your tanks eat all the hits for you while you continue doing your own thing.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

VanillaGorilla posted:

So I accept that maybe I’m just bad at the game but I don’t remember having nearly this much trouble with the first remake.

Every battle feels like a huge contest - my aim party members seem like they do nothing and barely build ATB if I’m not directly controlling them, and when I DO directly control them, the enemy AI razor focuses whichever character I’m controlling and goes into a murderous rage, making using my support or caster characters…difficult.

Am I missing something?

Enemies naturally focus whoever you're playing as, and whoever you're playing as builds ATB faster.
Play as someone to build ATB, then when you feel swarmed, immediately switch to someone else to build their gauge instead and then switch again when you feel swarmed.

Since Cloud is almost always in your party, but Barret starts every battle with Overcharge ready, a simple strategy is to start as Cloud with First Strike materia equipped, hit enemies just enough to do a Braver or Triple Slash, then immedately switch to Barret and overcharge to build ATB and then do something else.

Aerith feels like the hardest to build ATB with, I dunno what the secret is there.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

bewilderment posted:

Aerith feels like the hardest to build ATB with, I dunno what the secret is there.

I'm almost certain they nerfed the hell out of her ATB gain, since I remember getting tons of meter against multiple targets back in Remake.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

bewilderment posted:

Enemies naturally focus whoever you're playing as, and whoever you're playing as builds ATB faster.
Play as someone to build ATB, then when you feel swarmed, immediately switch to someone else to build their gauge instead and then switch again when you feel swarmed.

Since Cloud is almost always in your party, but Barret starts every battle with Overcharge ready, a simple strategy is to start as Cloud with First Strike materia equipped, hit enemies just enough to do a Braver or Triple Slash, then immedately switch to Barret and overcharge to build ATB and then do something else.

hitting her third in the rotation then dropping radiant ward/spamming the non-tempest basic attack usually takes care of ATB for me

e: longer battles also kinda change the approach on some of this-- barret's free overcharge isn't as helpful and in my experience he's also slow to build ATB, so i'll usually go with someone else

stuker fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 3, 2024

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Aerith's atb is solved by doing her charge attack with Tifa, which not only generates a ton of gauge but deals a shocking amount of damage for something you can spam continuously at no cost.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I find Barret is good at gaining atb fast. Aerith gets it fast when she's shooting many things I think because he attacks split, but if you're using the charged attack it goes up way faster.

My team is always Barret and Aerith because they're my favourites. I keep meaning to try Red and work out what he does. He blocks is my understanding from the tooltip I got.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
How’s the Deluxe edition summon(Magic pot)? The pre-order one(Moogle mages) seems pretty decent

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Stop making me play Queen's Blood game, I don't like it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lakbay posted:

Stop making me play Queen's Blood game, I don't like it

You can just ignore it after playing it once can't you?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Synergy skills build ATB quite well and do decent damage, if you aren't using those constantly you're missing out

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

One of the 1000 things going on in combat I forget about

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Question about the Corel area:
Can I do the sidequests south of the beach near Costa del Sol before going to the coal mines?

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

Synergy skills build ATB quite well and do decent damage, if you aren't using those constantly you're missing out

Yeah, I started working on this more and it has helped - combat is really balanced around using those free synergies.

The game honestly doesn’t tutorialize it anywhere near well enough, it is fundamental to the game.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

JBP posted:

You can just ignore it after playing it once can't you?

There's sequences I just played through that required you to play a round, I was allowed to lose fortunately

Also I'm glad the game has clarified Red XIII is a dog, I always though he was some kind of tiger :can:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

VanillaGorilla posted:

Yeah, I started working on this more and it has helped - combat is really balanced around using those free synergies.

The game honestly doesn’t tutorialize it anywhere near well enough, it is fundamental to the game.

This and the poorly-explained distinction between synergy skills and synergy abilities are the major flaws in this game. Not that it’s a bad system, it’s just so poorly introduced that apparently most people are getting confused by it.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I think the atb stagger materia is bugged and makes Tifa a ridiculous powerhouse. The moment an enemy gets staggered, she gets enough for an unbridled, which makes sense...but I think it also triggers on increasing the stagger bonus, because connecting with a triangle attack just re-ups the atb again.

Paired with how much more powerful her triangle attacks are, this is just a feedback loop and I don't think an enemy or boss phase has survived that yet.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

PT6A posted:

This and the poorly-explained distinction between synergy skills and synergy abilities are the major flaws in this game. Not that it’s a bad system, it’s just so poorly introduced that apparently most people are getting confused by it.

I think it’s a great system that sells one of FF7’s core elements - the relationships between the party members.

But yeah there’s like a single quick tutorial screen that doesn’t do much to really emphasize that there’s more to synergies than the abilities you pick from the menu (many of which have high ATB cost, at least at first).

I had to look up a guide that explained the R1 menu and how those skills work, and then it made a lot more sense (and was fun!).

There should be a full on tutorial battle where they force you to interact with it. Maybe they just assumed people would have played Intergrade (which is apparently where the system debuted), but I never did so this game was my first time seeing it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah it took me a bit to understand the distinction between synergy skills and synergy abilities and not knowing how they worked made the Junon demo pretty tough for me. Now that I get it I'm just sailing through.

Synergy skills are a game-changer. Red XIII is tough to use against flying enemies unless you control Cloud instead, in which case you can spam Howling Blast (or whatever it's called) to let both of them blast flying enemies and build ATB together. Then you can just tear poo poo up. Or Cloud's charge attacks with Tifa and Aerith, they both hit very hard, especially for something that builds ATB instead of spending it. Same for Tifa and Aerith's charge attack.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I'm just playing through remake right now and tifa is loving ridiculous in this so I'm excited to see her in rebirth

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

VanillaGorilla posted:

There should be a full on tutorial battle where they force you to interact with it. Maybe they just assumed people would have played Intergrade (which is apparently where the system debuted), but I never did so this game was my first time seeing it.

It isn't in Intergrade. They had a "Ok, now both of you do the same attacks, but only one of you gets meter" system that was very simple to understand. Which was neat for partners, but wouldn't work for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah Intergrade kind of introduced the concept of team-up moves to the Remake battle system but it's a different system