Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Angepain posted:

well, more along the lines of "are the lib dems worse than George Galloway", which is a harder question

idk the houthis aren’t demanding letters signed by the pm and the lib dems so galloway is definitely funnier imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

dadrips posted:

Having been a lurker at that time - maybe a portal has opened into 14 years ago and posts are leaking through :tinfoil:

To my eternal shame I bought into cleggmania for my first UK general election, sold on the promise of federalism, drug law reform and proportional representation. Too bad they sold out every one of their good principles all for the promise of getting to join the Tories in kerb stomping benefits claimants in the wake of the great recession for 5 years

Fool me once, etc

:same:

I voted for them mainly because of the weed tbh

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
Another Clegghead chipping in. It was my first GE, voted down the road from my uni accommodation. I take solace in the fact I was voting against Hilary Benn. Not that I had any real idea of him at the time, I too was taken in by the various left of centre poo poo Clegg was peddling and I was annoyed that Alan Johnson had put weed back up to class B.

Edit: I was also pissed off about the more serious stuff like Iraq and Labour's general authoritarianism at that point

WaffleACAB fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Mar 3, 2024

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I mean, most of us were younger and didn't have the experience to do anything but believe that they were offering good things, so you vote for the good things! Hindsight being 20/20 and all it's easy to say they were obviously poo poo.

To the more politically experienced folks at the time in the thread, was it that obvious before the GE that they were full of poo poo? I remember political satire at the time slamming the Tories and Brown a lot (hislop calling him a barnacle repeatedly) and taking the piss out of the lib Dems, but not much else. They absolutely went all in on how sensible and good the coalition was.

Mebh fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 3, 2024

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I also believed in Nick. I'm old enough to have been tricked into believing Blair too.

I don't think I'm a very good judge of character

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Mebh posted:

I mean, most of us were younger and didn't have the experience to do anything but believe that they were offering good things, so you vote for the good things! Hindsight being 20/20 and all it's easy to say they were obviously poo poo.

To the more politically experienced folks at the time in the thread, was it that obvious before the GE that they were full of poo poo? I remember political satire at the time slamming the Tories and blair a lot and taking the piss out of the lib Dems, but not much else.

There was a definite cohort of wise posters at the time saying "look at the Orange Book ffs" but with the hubris of youth we all ignored them.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
Who is the goon that works for the shipping company?
Hope you are ok, and not on a boat that got sunk

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

sebzilla posted:

There was a definite cohort of wise posters at the time saying "look at the Orange Book ffs" but with the hubris of youth we all ignored them.

this ^^

e: shameful memories of reading Guido uncritically because well, every dig made at the time was right

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 3, 2024

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Mebh posted:

To the more politically experienced folks at the time in the thread, was it that obvious before the GE that they were full of poo poo? I remember political satire at the time slamming the Tories and Brown a lot (hislop calling him a barnacle repeatedly) and taking the piss out of the lib Dems, but not much else. They absolutely went all in on how sensible and good the coalition was.

I was living abroad at the time and had not sorted a postal vote (let alone the postal system where I was living was virtually non-existent) so I wasn't able to vote. But having refused to vote Labour in 2005 post-Iraq despite having a wonderful MP (Walthamstow - Neil Gerrard - somewhat in the style of Michael Foot - donkey jacket, Oxford educated, genuine concern for the 'working classes') whom I wrote to and said I was very sorry I couldn't vote for him but Bliar would take it as vindication of his policies. I honestly can't remember if I voted LibDem or Green in 2005, whichever it was, it was a protest vote. I wrote to Neil G about Iraq (before it started) and he said he was voting against war but also that the decision to take the country to war did not require parliamentary approval!

In 2010 I would have been really stuck if I'd had the option (Stella Creasy replaced Neil Gerrard at the 2010 election - NB if you google Neil Gerrard put MP after the name because there's a disgraced lawyer of the same name comes up first!
Having had the experience of cheering when Labour won in 1997 & them doing quite well until Iraq, that was a sobering experience - when over 1 million of us marched in central London, let alone all the others around the country, before the war started and to be completely & utterly ignored, was a lesson learned.

The first general election I got to vote in was 1979 and I was one of very few students who did NOT vote conservative. I remember almost all my fellows coming out with "I voted conservative because my parents always do". :shame: I think out of over 200 students in my department only about 5 of us didn't vote tory. So much for universities being hot beds of left wing propaganda!

Extremists chat: When I was at uni, we used to boycott Barclays Bank as it supported the apartheid regime in South Africa. We had a little chant we used to sing on demos: "Barclays Bank is a fascist bank, give your money to me". And I remember going on big demos in Hyde Park - Anti Nazi League etc & listening to Aswad & the ANC Choir in the park. So these big demos are nothing new at all.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 3, 2024

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
I don't think anyone should feel that bad about voting LD in 2010. All the moreso if it was your first time voting or you were generally young and still had things like trust and hope to direct your vote.

2010 wasn't my first GE and, still in my One Nation Conservatism phase, I voted for Cameron. So in a small way I contributed to all the poo poo that's happened in this country since then :ohdear: The two small salves to my conscience are that 1) thanks to our glorious FPTP system, my vote was functionally meaningless since it was cast in a deep, deep blue constituency anyway. And the (distant) second placers were the Lib Dems... 2) It quickly became obvious to me that One Nation Conservatism hasn't meaningfully existed in the UK since about 1970 and that the coalition government was just ripping the heart out of what was left of British civic society. In 2012 I rediscovered Somethingawful and fell into this thread, which provided me with a Correct outlet for my rage and a framework to assess things that resulted in the realisation that New Labour didn't really represent 'The Left'.

Mebh posted:

There were a few isolated voices at the time pointing out that the Lib Dems were mostly run by Orange Book turbo-libs who were in many ways just as (if not more) economically right-wing than the Cameron-ite Tories. But I don't think anyone, either in the media or in online spaces, really listened to them. Generally I had the impression at the time that the sheer lack of backbone and the complete ease and speed with which the LDs threw away all their positions or agreed to absolutely poo poo, socially and economically ruinous policy for nothing in return surprised even quite cynical people. Were we going to get Federalisation and no Trident renewal with them as a junior coalition partner? Nope. But they just completely rolled over on stuff like tuition fees and the PR referendum that should have been policy anchors for them, or gained tiny wins in return for supporting some of the worst of austerity (welfare sanctions in return for the 5p bag tax).

Mebh
May 10, 2010

This year is going to be nuts with EU elections, US elections, India elections and UK maybe doing elections but probably not.

I had all hope crushed out of me in 2019, now I'm just debating if I should write a serious letter to my labour MP telling him why I just can't vote for him even though he's decent locally.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Mebh posted:

I use mine year round. It's more than paid for itself considering the actual ingredients cost of a pizza is less than A quid. The mozzarella is the most expensive bit! It's also amazing for tandoori, wings, searig sous vide steak, naan. You name it.

Same. I bought an electric pizza oven since I didn't trust the weather. Costs less than a pound in electricity to churn out an evening's worth of neapolitans because it's smaller than a regular oven, and the ingredients cost next to nothing.

Especially if you get your mozz in 2.3kg bricks from costco:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Mebh posted:

This year is going to be nuts with EU elections, US elections, India elections and UK maybe doing elections but probably not.

I had all hope crushed out of me in 2019, now I'm just debating if I should write a serious letter to my labour MP telling him why I just can't vote for him even though he's decent locally.

canada soon next year prolly with a trump aficionado currently eating up the polls

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

To be fair they may have meant "What did the electorate think was wrong with the Lib Dem candidate?" which isn't necessarily the same thing as what this thread thinks. If Lab and Tories are both ruled out it does seem like the next option would be LDs.

I was also burned by them in 2010, unfortunately I can't even actually bitch that much because I got what I wanted most, a PR referendum. I just didn't expect, at the time, that the ads against it would be so cynical and effective* or that the country would go "Actually no thanks on a fairer, more representative voting system!" Fool me, little did I appreciate that it barely scratched the surface of what dumb things people will choose.

* I don't think I'll ever forget that Sports Day one. drat they owned our asses.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Bizarre choice of venue for a photoshoot!

Apparently she wants to be known as the Iron Chancellor.

I know, I know, don't kink shame.

Meanwhile in dead bird chat: Douglas Henshall (the actor) seems like a good egg.

wasn't the iron chancellor gordon brown's nickname?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It was originally Otto von Bismarck, so I guess we're getting more shitey culture wars.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

crispix posted:

wasn't the iron chancellor gordon brown's nickname?

Oh yes! I'd forgotten that!

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Ms Adequate posted:

To be fair they may have meant "What did the electorate think was wrong with the Lib Dem candidate?" which isn't necessarily the same thing as what this thread thinks. If Lab and Tories are both ruled out it does seem like the next option would be LDs.

Honestly wasn't expecting to open the thread to see people still discussing this, but yeah this is largely what I meant. Lib Dems, despite... everything, still have MPs, they're still pretty good at local elections and target specific seats. If the third largest UK-wide party can't even put in a decent showing when the two biggest parties give up the seat, there must have been something wrong with the candidate beyond being a piss tory.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

BalloonFish posted:

2010 wasn't my first GE and, still in my One Nation Conservatism phase, I voted for Cameron

:stare:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've been dealing with a bout of what I think is flu since Friday (headache, fever, aching, sore throat, cough and uncontrollable shivering), which has wiped out my weekend.
Annoyingly, it now being Sunday afternoon, it's wearing off. The advantage of getting the flu jab, I suppose (less likely to catch it, and less severe if you do), but I always feel slightly cheated when illness robs me of a weekend/time off but leaves me capable of going to work.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

kingturnip posted:

I've been dealing with a bout of what I think is flu since Friday (headache, fever, aching, sore throat, cough and uncontrollable shivering), which has wiped out my weekend.
Annoyingly, it now being Sunday afternoon, it's wearing off. The advantage of getting the flu jab, I suppose (less likely to catch it, and less severe if you do), but I always feel slightly cheated when illness robs me of a weekend/time off but leaves me capable of going to work.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

EvilHawk posted:

Honestly wasn't expecting to open the thread to see people still discussing this, but yeah this is largely what I meant. Lib Dems, despite... everything, still have MPs, they're still pretty good at local elections and target specific seats. If the third largest UK-wide party can't even put in a decent showing when the two biggest parties give up the seat, there must have been something wrong with the candidate beyond being a piss tory.

It actually used to be a Liberal seat, from 1972 until 1997, but for the first 20 of those years the Liberal MP was a fellow called Cyril Smith, who it turned out was a massive nonce who seemed to have his noncery covered up by all & sundry. That only came out after Smith died, but while he was still alive he was known for another scandal where he tried to cover up how dangerous asbestos was, and it turned out he had a decent chunk of shares in a local factory in the area.

But yeah, the stench of Cyril Smith probably won't go for decades, although it was first mentioned in 1979 in a local paper & Private Eye nobody else covered it until after his death in 2010, so it's still fresh in the memory. In 2012 the Crown Prosecution Services (still headed by a Sir Keir Starmer at this point) " that Smith should have been charged with crimes of abuse more than 40 years earlier. In a statement, the GMP said Smith had committed "physical and sexual abuse". Smith was never charged, although investigations were undertaken in 1970, 1998, and 1999." There's a lot of very serious questions around the whole thing, like police involved in investigations being threatened with the Official Secrets Act, MI5 confiscating a dossier from Lancashire Constabulary, & Thatcher being warned of his proclivities & still awarding him a knighthood. It's a pretty heinous thing.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

:swoon:

Mine always are a bit wonky.

I had some Polish friends bring round some Kielbasa mysliwska and it was divine on pizza.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

First, this (posted by Tom London on dead bird site).

But the Collective have protected their tweets so you can't see any original.
Whether that is as a response to this article I don't know.

https://novaramedia.com/2024/03/01/a-pro-israel-group-is-trying-to-intimidate-palestine-protesters-with-claims-of-infiltration/

quote:

A group of anonymous pro-Israel digital vigilantes which claims to surveil supporters of Palestine could be exaggerating the sophistication of its activities in order to make people scared, Novara Media can reveal.

Shirion Collective, a self-described “private Jewish surveillance force”, stated in a post on X/Twitter on 13 February that it was looking for “volunteers willing to wear keffiyehs and walk in” pro-Palestine demonstrations in seven major cities on 17 February as part of “Operation Global Insight”, an initiative “to uphold Western values and safeguard Israel and the Jewish people”.

etc

Also:

(sorry for link but there's a video). The marchers completely ignore them.

https://x.com/LensVeritatis/status/1764219103705997743?s=20

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 3, 2024

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

forkboy84 posted:

It actually used to be a Liberal seat, from 1972 until 1997, but for the first 20 of those years the Liberal MP was a fellow called Cyril Smith, who it turned out was a massive nonce who seemed to have his noncery covered up by all & sundry. That only came out after Smith died, but while he was still alive he was known for another scandal where he tried to cover up how dangerous asbestos was, and it turned out he had a decent chunk of shares in a local factory in the area.

But yeah, the stench of Cyril Smith probably won't go for decades, although it was first mentioned in 1979 in a local paper & Private Eye nobody else covered it until after his death in 2010, so it's still fresh in the memory. In 2012 the Crown Prosecution Services (still headed by a Sir Keir Starmer at this point) " that Smith should have been charged with crimes of abuse more than 40 years earlier. In a statement, the GMP said Smith had committed "physical and sexual abuse". Smith was never charged, although investigations were undertaken in 1970, 1998, and 1999." There's a lot of very serious questions around the whole thing, like police involved in investigations being threatened with the Official Secrets Act, MI5 confiscating a dossier from Lancashire Constabulary, & Thatcher being warned of his proclivities & still awarding him a knighthood. It's a pretty heinous thing.

This is the exact context I was missing (and didn't appear to be reported anywhere), thanks :)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mebh posted:

I had some Polish friends bring round some Kielbasa mysliwska and it was divine on pizza.

Is that beezza?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Is that beezza?

It's the result of 7 other pizzas for guests and that one is for me about the point where I stopped giving a poo poo. My whole kitchen is bee themed though!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Mebh posted:

It's the result of 7 other pizzas for guests and that one is for me about the point where I stopped giving a poo poo. My whole kitchen is bee themed though!

Good choice, bees are so great.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

bessantj posted:

Good choice, bees are so great.

You first need a bee to have beer!

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Mebh posted:

... that one is for me about the point where I stopped giving a poo poo..

That is called stripping a recipe down to it's bare essentials, good work! :thumbsup:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Mebh posted:

just call it a khachapuri and plop an egg in the middle, job done

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Authentic delivery guy carried the box sideways look

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Mebh posted:

That looks tasty as hell, and the camera angle is doing mine a lot of favors shape-wise. Kielbasa is great on pizza

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Since there are loads of excellent cooks in here, can anyone recommend a cleaver? I just blunted my chefs knife to poo poo cutting up a squash :(

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Thanks for the pitta recipes and pizza pics everyone, they all look wonderful :)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mebh posted:

UK maybe doing elections but probably not.

Short of an actual coup we are having an election this year.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

killerwhat posted:

Since there are loads of excellent cooks in here, can anyone recommend a cleaver? I just blunted my chefs knife to poo poo cutting up a squash :(

Get a wet stone and sharpen your knife
Nothing beats a scarily sharp knife in the kitchen

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

feedmegin posted:

It could be in January I think if rishi really wants to celebrate Christmas in 10/11 downing Street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

feedmegin posted:

Ok stupid question: why? Wasn't the fixed terms act abolished? So the PM could just decide to not have an election this year... but everyone is completely certain that he will call an election this year I guess, why exactly?