Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

shirts and skins posted:

let's all go to the looooobby
to become a bunch of worms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Elissimpark posted:

Don't talk, watch! Don't talk, watch!
You came here, watch it!

Did you bring a worm?
WORMS DON'T WATCH THIS!
Take the grub outside! LEAVE IT IN THE STREETS!
Run over it after the show!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Perfection.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

hm. if an angel can become a human, wonder if a devil can go through the angels reincarnation process. or something comparable.
in any case, gog about to get smacked off the stage

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Arcanuse posted:

hm. if an angel can become a human, wonder if a devil can go through the angels reincarnation process. or something comparable.
in any case, gog about to get smacked off the stage

Anything is possible if you're stupid enough, and everyone who has entered Allison's orbit is profoundly stupid.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Something about the repetition of "this I know, oh this I know" is unsettling in a way I can't put a finger on.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

A.o.D. posted:

A better question is can the death star survive 3 Borg drones?

if it was tabletop basically the force just lets you reroll dice. that's it. If vader is on the death star he just uses the force to reroll and destroy the cube, like luke rerolled to crit the first death star

it's the same poo poo with the light sabers not being nightmare weapons only a psycho or a saint would use, they had to dial them down just like they had to dial down the borg or no game or media would work

the concept of anything from star wars and anything from star trek running into anything from each other defeats the idea of "writing a story" in general.

--

alison could try to coerce gog into helping by saying that not even worms transcend death and ripping out they key but i don't really think this is the way it will go

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Fister Roboto posted:

Something about the repetition of "this I know, oh this I know" is unsettling in a way I can't put a finger on.

I can't tell if it's a "reading someone who's singing lyrics" thing, or a reference to something I don't immediately know, or both

There's been a couple instances in the last couple of pages where gog goes off on little textual tangents like that and since this is all dressed up in an eric andre spoof I can't tell if that's a gog thing or a reference thing

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There's a cadence to it that's a mix of court jester and Shakespearean witch that fits Gog Agog perfectly.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It reminds me a bit of Patchface from ASOIAF but that's probably more widespread than that.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

lol

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bussamove posted:

Anything is possible if you're stupid enough, and everyone who has entered Allison's orbit is profoundly stupid.

except nyave

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Either Cio somehow doing an angel and reincarnating or a demon who uses Cio's mask shard to become de facto a sort of love child of her and Alison that, while not the original Cio, reminds greatly of her and proves worth caring for in and of herself would be both be quite nice. I want this demon to at least matter into the future, and to not simply be cast aside, even if we cannot go back exactly to having everyone's favorite chitinous fanfic writer.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Resurrect One Demon

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

Makes me think of "Can't Feel My Face" (at least the version that I know), the lyrics even sort of fit!

quote:

And I know you'll be the death of me, at least we′ll both be numb
And you′ll always get the best of me, the worst is yet to come
But at least we'll both be beautiful and stay forever young
This I know, this I know
You told me, don′t worry about it
You told me, don't worry no more
We both know we can′t go without it
You told me you'll never be in love, oh, oh, woo
And I know you′ll be the death of me, at least we'll both be numb
And you′ll always get the best of me, the worst is yet to come
All the misery was necessary when we're deep in love
This I know, oh this I know

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Wait so is all this Gog exposition just a setup for what's about to happen? If Gog has a complete memory she might have Cio's memories juggling around in there somewhere. And if Cio is currently a Pale Devil then she's exceptionally single minded and may just try to rip whatever Gog has on her out of Gog by force.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Demiurge4 posted:

Wait so is all this Gog exposition just a setup for what's about to happen? If Gog has a complete memory she might have Cio's memories juggling around in there somewhere. And if Cio is currently a Pale Devil then she's exceptionally single minded and may just try to rip whatever Gog has on her out of Gog by force.

Why would she have Cio's memories? Memories of Cio, sure, assuming she was part of previous cycles.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

Gog is not Jadis, Cio probably doesn’t even exist in most of what Gog remembers of infinite previous cycles

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

YaketySass posted:

Resurrect One Demon

Allison eat the worm; Kill Six Billion (times, one particular) Demon(sucks to be you...)

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Demiurge4 posted:

The only thing that might have Cio stored and has actual agency (sorry, Jadid) is Himself. His “think of Me when you get on the throne” moment is an unfired chekov’s gun still around, too.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Fister Roboto posted:

i'm not at all sure if it's part of what he's going for but "jesus loves me this i know" is a little kid's hymn / nursery rhyme that can feel a little weird and creepy, like any good nursery rhyme

it's certainly not all of what he's going for, though; when she does the big exposition thing about the number of times the world has been reset, it comes across as absolutely deadly serious

https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/wheel-smashing-lord-3-68-to-3-69/

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I guess I didn't think it all the way through and just assumed that Gog can absorb almost anything, devils included, since humans are of the black flame as well. But we don't really have enough information about that, can Gog forcefully absorb people with the worm or do they have to eat it willingly for it to work? If it's willing then I would think devils can be absorbed since will being a requirement suggests its a soul transfer rather than biological.

What's actually interesting to think about is that since Gog survives the resets, is her origin story even accurate? What came first? Gog or the worm?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I think she just.. ate them? Like literally nom nom worm in the corpse of god style dinner. Her memories are entirely hers, she just uses the worm mass as cloud storage because she can’t hold her lifetimes in her head.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

She might have groundgog-dayed a couple cycles to memorize everything about everyone.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Ha, Gog is offering Allison her own perverted version of Royalty/CHIM.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

think gog asks people nicely because just eating people got boring a looooooong time ago

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Arcanuse posted:

think gog asks people nicely because just eating people got boring a looooooong time ago

I bet it's just infomercials, except the solution to dropping bowls of Cheetos or fumbling juice containers is worms.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

If she did take Bill Murray amounts of time to learn the lives of everyone on Throne then she probably knows just when to give the worm pitch and just what to say. No one's worst day would go unnoticed or uninterrupted.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

Maduo posted:

Bill Murray amounts of time

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

How many Jeremy Bearimys is that?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I seem to remember people did the math and Bill Murray was only groundhogdaying for 40 years or something. From what she said Gog has been around for quite a bit longer.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

nimby posted:

I seem to remember people did the math and Bill Murray was only groundhogdaying for 40 years or something. From what she said Gog has been around for quite a bit longer.

IIRC the writers of the script said Bill's character was in the loop for 10,000 years or something like that, but I could have that figure mixed up with another causal loop movie.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

mycomancy posted:

IIRC the writers of the script said Bill's character was in the loop for 10,000 years or something like that, but I could have that figure mixed up with another causal loop movie.

That makes the happy end rather a bit weird and creepy. The eldritch abomination can only break free by entering a binding pact with a being about 3.5% its own age?!

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Griddle of Love posted:

That makes the happy end rather a bit weird and creepy. The eldritch abomination can only break free by entering a binding pact with a being about 3.5% its own age?!

...you ruined it! >:(

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

mycomancy posted:

anyone anywhere who throws "it was 10,000 years" into their worldbuilding without thinking about it for a fraction of a second is just lazy since it's inevitably "yeah they just kind of popped out exactly the same as when they went in, no real worldview differences to speak of, no trauma or anything from being alive and aware of the time passing"

i feel like junji ito's the long dream is one of the few places I've seen the concept actually touched on directly

also r scott bakker's nonmen but everything around and involved in that series is pretty :yikes:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

mycomancy posted:

The 10,000 years number was stated in an early version of the script, but got taken out. In another earlier version, it was 70-80 years. Danny Rubin refused to pick a number, saying it's just supposed to feel long, like 100 years, or a lifetime. Harold Ramis said it was somewhere between 10-40 years (he said 10 then changed his mind to ~30-40 in a later interview). But he based that estimate on "how long it would take someone to get good at something", which he guessed was at least 10 years, as Phil spends so much time mastering a bunch of different things. But people can actually master the things Phil does in way less time than that, so it's conceivable it was much shorter.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

anyone anywhere who throws "it was 10,000 years" into their worldbuilding without thinking about it for a fraction of a second is just lazy since it's inevitably "yeah they just kind of popped out exactly the same as when they went in, no real worldview differences to speak of, no trauma or anything from being alive and aware of the time passing"

i feel like junji ito's the long dream is one of the few places I've seen the concept actually touched on directly

also r scott bakker's nonmen but everything around and involved in that series is pretty :yikes:

There's also Stephen King's "The Jaunt"

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

The 10,000 years number was stated in an early version of the script, but got taken out. In another earlier version, it was 70-80 years. Danny Rubin refused to pick a number, saying it's just supposed to feel long, like 100 years, or a lifetime. Harold Ramis said it was somewhere between 10-40 years (he said 10 then changed his mind to ~30-40 in a later interview). But he based that estimate on "how long it would take someone to get good at something", which he guessed was at least 10 years, as Phil spends so much time mastering a bunch of different things. But people can actually master the things Phil does in way less time than that, so it's conceivable it was much shorter.

I heard there was also a version of the script where he measured how long he was in the loops by going to the library, pulling a book off the shelf in the first section, reading one page, putting it back, and then leaving. Each day he'd read exactly one page of a book from the library, and by the time the movie was over, he would have read every single book in the library cover to cover.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

W.T. Fits posted:

I heard there was also a version of the script where he measured how long he was in the loops by going to the library, pulling a book off the shelf in the first section, reading one page, putting it back, and then leaving. Each day he'd read exactly one page of a book from the library, and by the time the movie was over, he would have read every single book in the library cover to cover.

Yeah, I believe that was the 70-80 year version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
For a small town library 20,000 books * 300 pages is 6,000,000 pages in total, which would have been an over sixteen thousand year version.

80 years would have been just shy of 30k pages.