Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hmm. The metaphor is maybe a little strained, but I like this cartoon. Decent art. Recognizable Biden engaging in a recognizable activity. No unnecessary labels or text - I think it's reasonable to assume that many readers wouldn't recognize Israel from the shape alone.

7/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"Mob rule: the Tory right has Rishi Sunak on a short leash – The prime minister says he will crack down on protest, as the war in Gaza continues"

Sunday Telegraph:

Defence spending in Budget must rise to 2.5pc of GDP, Shapps tells Hunt

Matt:

Sunday Times:

Mail on Sunday:

Slave Play: No 10 criticises black-only audiences plan

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

These days,

Telegnostic
Apr 24, 2008

Interesting choice in depicting "man with head up his rear end." Of the various ways you could imagine someone contorting himself to achieve that, I would not have thought of the rear end extending itself forward, through the legs, to appear in front of the torso.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

I'm feeling a lot better, thanks everyone, so nobody has to miss our favorite Rogue CartoonistTM until he croaks from his Stage 4 colon cancer, which if he was diagnosed last spring may not be too much longer. I wonder which cartoonist will win Worst Obituary when it happens.

L. Ron DeSantis fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 3, 2024

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

China Daily

Weakened EU by Shi Yu

Not enough by Cai Meng

Protectionism hinders global economic recovery by Luo Jie

Japan unleashes monster by Cai Meng

Uncle Sam greedy for capitalism by Luo Jie

Le Monde

L’homme et l’artiste/The Man and the Artist

"Today we're going to try to answer the question: Should we make a difference between the bastard of a man and the despicable artist?"

by Tjeerd Royaards
It's the environmental laws the EU was going to implement but that got scrapped due to the farmer protests.

Ukraine : les tergiversations des alliés de l’Ouest/Ukraine: Western allies are procrastinating by Emanuele Del Rosso from Italy

by Sanaga from France
Cyclist till the end
"I'm going to work from distance."

by Chappatte from Switzerland (We can agree this isn't the same Chappatte that's sometimes posted right?)
"How many divisions in Nato?"
Screen:Troops on the ground in Ukraine? Macron on his own

France : l’IVG en voie d’être inscrit dans la Constitution/France:Abortion on the way to being enshrined in the Constitution by Elena from Colombia

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Uncle Sam greedy for capitalism by Luo Jie

War profit is useful Keynesian cyclical spending. A confusing cartoon.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

by Tjeerd Royaards
It's the environmental laws the EU was going to implement but that got scrapped due to the farmer protests.
Kellies Nomination: Best Overall

The toxic sign on the white-out makes it for me, because the farmers repeatedly prove that they'd rather reign in hell when it comes to the environment.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Japan unleashes monster by Cai Meng

I need someone to photoshop Godzilla to an Eva and then change the speech bubble to "3rd impact!".

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Guavanaut posted:

War profit is useful Keynesian cyclical spending. A confusing cartoon.

I think it's specifically calling it out as useless though - the coins are just dropping out immediately without accomplishing anything.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Speaking of calling something out as useless, it's time once more for

Look, anyone who has a round door is probably up to something. Just saying.

And here we learn that Mordor also has hobbits that live there, and that the orcs are completely friendly with the local hobbits. Sure, why not?

I think this is the second time now we've come dangerously close to "Hitler wasn't actually all that bad, it's just the Jews made him out to be evil". (There's a figleaf here where you can just say "oh, no, Hitler is terrible, but they're unjustly depicting this random hobbit (probably Frodo) as him".) Also, I guess, orc newscasters just look like slightly weird humans instead of... you know, orcs?

Between the last two strips, I no longer know if these children are supposed to be orcs or hobbits. Maybe that's the entire point of this!?!? (It's not.)

So obviously this is supposed to be about Israeli settlements but it also has that vague smell of the Great Replacement stuff he was doing earlier. (It's possible Tats thinks these are the same thing, come to think of it.)

In isolation, this one actually... isn't bad. It's not like the Israeli army is doing nice things, and I'm at least going to give him credit for depicting an actual atrocity this time instead of just having people engage in totally normal activities and then gesturing at them as if they're horrible. It's only once you look at the virulently antisemitic context that this joins the pile of poo poo that we must, for lack of a better term, describe as his life's work.

So I guess he just speedran the rest of Lord of the Rings so he could get right to the Scouring of the Shire and then spend a million strips just on that? Cool, great. (Although presumably the bad guys will not actually be removed from the Shire in this case, both to mirror the real-life situation he's trying to depict and because he's going to get bored and switch to something else soon.)

Pettyfest

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

idonotlikepeas posted:

In isolation, this one actually... isn't bad. It's not like the Israeli army is doing nice things, and I'm at least going to give him credit for depicting an actual atrocity this time instead of just having people engage in totally normal activities and then gesturing at them as if they're horrible. It's only once you look at the virulently antisemitic context that this joins the pile of poo poo that we must, for lack of a better term, describe as his life's work.

He snuck a "6 million followers" dogwhistle/joke in this one, so you still know what he's really trying to say.

I'm starting to think that the reason he's been leaning so hard into this hamfisted LotR poo poo is so that he can poo poo on Israel and Jews without actually expressing sympathy for Palestinian people (read: brown people). Note how they're depicted as attacking white hobbits - it plays into the whole thing with anti-semitic conspiracy theories claiming that white people are the biggest victims of the Jewish conspiracies.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The concept of an orc with a backhoe needs to be in a better comic. It doesn't deserve this.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm pretty sure those are supposed to be orc kids, he's just not very good at making them visually distinct. It's a reference to that infamous picture of Israeli children writing on mortar shells.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Phlegmish posted:

I'm pretty sure those are supposed to be orc kids, he's just not very good at making them visually distinct. It's a reference to that infamous picture of Israeli children writing on mortar shells.

There's differences in skin tones, ear shapes and teeth, but they're too subtle.

And the cartoonist is an idiot.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

idonotlikepeas posted:

So... is this still supposed to be Heaven or...?

Edit:

Nenonen posted:

There's differences in skin tones, ear shapes and teeth, but they're too subtle.

The children are barefoot, so my first thought was Hobbits.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ZZT the Fifth posted:

He snuck a "6 million followers" dogwhistle/joke in this one, so you still know what he's really trying to say.
Yeah he almost gave up on the overt giant Jewbot/magic hats antisemitism to do a more abstract allegory but couldn't allow himself to do so without sneaking a couple in.

And as the Pettyfest pointed out still thinks that the war in Ukraine is fake, I'm sure.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Quid Pro Joe is kind of clever I guess

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

Saturday was the Dunkley by-election where voters were going to "send Albo a message" and the result was an extremely average by-election two-party-preferred swing of about 3.6% against the government, not enough for Labor to lose the seat but roughly the right amount to allow everyone to project whatever message they want onto it.

Herbert:

Broelman 1:

Despite cost of living being the obvious main issue for voters Dutton's opposition keeps beating the "be afraid of the immigrant" drum.

Broelman 2:

Deputy Liberal leader Sussan Ley, who did a victory speech in Dunkley after the Liberals conceded.

Kudelka:

Knight:

It was Albanese's birthday on Saturday. The Herald Sun's website is incredibly poo poo at showing cartoons so I only have this cropped version; when I try to get the full one from Mark Knight's page it shows me the one from a week ago which is funny in retrospect:

Golding:

The commentary during the results was how wonderful this result was for the Victorian Liberals because they hadn't declared their loss in the first thirty minutes (in this state they are incredibly poo poo).

Lethbridge:

Lethbridge the odd cartoonist out in not covering Dunkley.

Spooner:

Jodie Belyea, the incoming Labor member for Dunkley.

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

China Daily

Protectionism hinders global economic recovery by Luo Jie

Economic recovery just needs time to grow and until then protectionism is no threat to it?

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I'm starting to think that the reason he's been leaning so hard into this hamfisted LotR poo poo is so that he can poo poo on Israel and Jews without actually expressing sympathy for Palestinian people (read: brown people).

It's literally this. Note how his stand-ins for Palestinians are all lily white and blue-eyed.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Pretty sure Ishida has already spent more time on the stupid Lord of the Rings poo poo than he did with 2023 for the entirety of last year.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
Oh yes, the price is literally one body, whose name we politicized to hell but have already forgotten. An accurate comic reflecting the nature of Republican outrage.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Clerical Terrors posted:

Lmao die mad about it, Ed.

Did he originally plan to draw this character as elderly as well, but then realized it wouldn't actually make sense?

No, Gamble can only draw two types of people: 75 year olds who hate their families, and what he thought a college student looked like in 1972.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I don't know if I actually care but is this horrible LOTR analogy also still taking place in Heaven.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Randalor posted:

So... is this still supposed to be Heaven or...?

Hostile V posted:

I don't know if I actually care but is this horrible LOTR analogy also still taking place in Heaven.

Ishida has already forgotten about the heaven bit

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Phlegmish posted:

Pretty sure you're right, but I do try to let the comments under the strips be my genuine reaction as I read through (except when I really need to make a particular joke or want to dramatically emphasize something like Jew Voltron). The concept of orcs that didn't look like orcs hadn't been introduced yet, so it really seemed like they were hobbits until we got to later in the week when it turns out orcs are just slightly more ethnic hobbits. Speaking of:

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I'm starting to think that the reason he's been leaning so hard into this hamfisted LotR poo poo is so that he can poo poo on Israel and Jews without actually expressing sympathy for Palestinian people (read: brown people). Note how they're depicted as attacking white hobbits - it plays into the whole thing with anti-semitic conspiracy theories claiming that white people are the biggest victims of the Jewish conspiracies.

Yep. And not only that, but the orcs are represented as POC (albeit the "color" there being red or light pink). So he's transformed the Israel/Palestine conflict into a race war against white people.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021
I wonder if Ishida even remembers what the metaphors are supposed to be at this point.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

JamesBont posted:

I wonder if Ishida even remembers what the metaphors are supposed to be at this point.

Doesn't matter, he just wants to blow the "Jews :doom:" foghorn. Anything else is irrelevant to that priority.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Nenonen posted:

Um actually I think you'll find he's

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: But Trump Is Evil

Ted Rall posted:

Biden’s defenders brush off his support for right-wing Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s carpet-bombing of Gaza, which has killed tens of thousands of innocent Palestinians. There can only be one reason why.

First Dog on the Moon: Centrelink horror stories! Mark has his payments suspended while recovering from brain surgery

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

idonotlikepeas posted:

So obviously this is supposed to be about Israeli settlements but it also has that vague smell of the Great Replacement stuff he was doing earlier. (It's possible Tats thinks these are the same thing, come to think of it.)

This one is based on an actual incident from 2021, where a settler used that exact phrase. So I guess that strip is arguably the least bad of the bunch, except for the whole "casting real-life ethnicities as fantasy races" which is deeply :chloe: no matter what.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/5/4/if-i-dont-steal-your-home-someone-else-will-jewish-settler-says

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

This one really illustrates how performative the outrage over Laken Riley's death was. Literally the day before he put up this one was when a bunch of right-wing cartoonists (including Varvel) suddenly really cared about her. Literally the day after they can't be bothered to include her in their anti-immigration bullshit.

Al Goodwyn

John Deering

Michael Ramirez

Mike Luckovich

Tom Stiglich

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

Tom Stiglich, the cartoonist FROM HELL!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

e: I would say Stiglich is the right-wing Bennett, but that seems unfair to Bennett, who does at least seem able to competently draw non-repulsive humans on those rare occasions when he feels like putting in the effort

I know it's supposed to be 'blood on his hands' but I choose to interpret it as Biden being a suffering Christ-like figure, as illustrated by his stigmata

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 4, 2024

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Well, yeah.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The twofer of theoretically competent art wasted due to extreme laziness. I think I actually prefer the smug alcoholic duck out of the two, because at least he stands for something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

if only Chicago would make shooting people illegal