Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Came across a change I don't like: aerial combat.

Just have the characters jump, Square. Oh, don't have synergy that allows them basic functionality or the wrong party comp? Oh well, sucks to be you. Enjoy just using Cloud on this flying boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Lmao Kyrie

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Just have the characters jump, Square. Oh, don't have synergy that allows them basic functionality or the wrong party comp? Oh well, sucks to be you. Enjoy just using Cloud on this flying boss.

Outside of Red I have no idea who you mean. All of Tifa's put her into the air and everyone else has ranged attacks. And if you have Cloud you have his combo with Red.

Jimbot posted:

They really need to up Aerith's ATB gain. Everyone else can get five or six or even a hundred full meters before she manages to fill one. She has a lot of neat stuff but it feels like a complete waste if I don't use arcane ward to get that extra cast because it's the only other attack I'll she'll do the entire fight.

Are you using Radiant Ward and her Synergies? Also once you get ATB Ward it helps a lot

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Jimbot posted:

Clouds synergy attack with red for aerial monsters is the solution. Charges both their ATB crazy fast.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The little things really make this game.

Like how when you're riding a chocobo, you can open chests- AND the chocobo uses his beak! In any other game, you would have to dismount to open the chest because they wouldn't feel like programming and animating that interaction.

But they didn't skip it. Hell yeah.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I swear to loving god, if Aerith still dies in this game, I will be so sad :smithicide: She just gave a speech about how much pain was in her life but how she's finally happy because she has friends she loves and the pain was all worth it. DON'T YOU DO IT, SEPHIROTH!!!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I am doing the first protorelic minigame in chapter 9 and … I’m either very bad, this is very hard, or I’m missing something

It took me five tries to barely scrape 1000 points, I have no idea how you would begin to hit the 2000 point mark

E:
2500?!?!!!

Kosume Shezaki
Feb 23, 2006
Hear me out they have a perfect avenue for a FF7/Like a Dragon collab DLC with the resort in costal del sol.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Cait Sith (makes a big moogle appear out of thin air in front of the party): What is that? It's The Unknown.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sockser posted:

I am doing the first protorelic minigame in chapter 9 and … I’m either very bad, this is very hard, or I’m missing something

It took me five tries to barely scrape 1000 points, I have no idea how you would begin to hit the 2000 point mark

E:
2500?!?!!!

You're using physical on physical and magic on magic, right? For the giant ones you don't want to attack right away, you want to bait them into falling on you first.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Jimbot posted:

They really need to up Aerith's ATB gain.

Use synergy skills or tempest. Mashing attack does jack poo poo

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
me whenever cait sith acts like he's in mortal peril with the rest of the party:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G2K4XV8qqc

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

me whenever cait sith acts like he's in mortal peril with the rest of the party:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8G2K4XV8qqc

Don't bully Cait Sith, he's a good boy.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I've fallen way behind the thread because of newborn stuff and working weekends but I just finished Junon and it was incredible

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I wonder if a player vs player option for queens blood in the works. Or a gacha game that'll shut down in three months. The sky's the limit!

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

ImpAtom posted:

You're using physical on physical and magic on magic, right? For the giant ones you don't want to attack right away, you want to bait them into falling on you first.

Green ones are getting mashed with melee and the non-elemental “suck everyone near you” ability

Orange ones are getting ninjutsu’d, but they’re still not going down all that fast

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

TheHoosier posted:

Lmao Kyrie

her song is a total bop, haters stay mad

I was a Kyrie hater in the first one but if I can also get one of her chocobo hats then all is forgiven.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Sockser posted:

Green ones are getting mashed with melee and the non-elemental “suck everyone near you” ability

Orange ones are getting ninjutsu’d, but they’re still not going down all that fast

Use your windstorm on the orange ones.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sockser posted:

Windstorm is magic so it is great against the orange ones, and it also works on the Green Ones to suck them all together so you can smash them into pieces with Art of War.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vitamean posted:

I wonder if a player vs player option for queens blood in the works. Or a gacha game that'll shut down in three months. The sky's the limit!

They'll do a DLC where you play as Reeve and aim to become the Midgar champion of Queen's Blood while using Cait Sith to play challengers outside.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Taima posted:

The little things really make this game.

Like how when you're riding a chocobo, you can open chests- AND the chocobo uses his beak! In any other game, you would have to dismount to open the chest because they wouldn't feel like programming and animating that interaction.

I really appreciate that they don't penalize you for using chocobos. In a lot of open-world games using the available mounts ends up being a huge pain in the butt, but here you can do pretty much everything without having to explicitly dismount first (including initiating combat), and when you do hop off the bird hangs around so you can hop back on again (which doesn't require a button press). I hope future open world game designers are paying attention...

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

btw the game doesn’t tell you this but if you double-tap and hold R2 the chocobo will take off at a much higher speed than a normal dash.
same applies to Red XIII in that Costa del Sol minigame

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Quinton posted:

and when you do hop off the bird hangs around so you can hop back on again (which doesn't require a button press).

This is great until I want to interact with something and keep accidentally getting on the chocobo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

44 hours later and I have finished the main story.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This game is what I want modern Final Fantasy to be. Like separate from it being FFVII and having established characters and all that, I mean just like... the overall package. A fun combat system that blends action and RPG in cool ways. An interesting world to explore full of characters with a lot of personality. Lots of character-building moments for the main party and a compelling set of character relationships and group dynamic. Incredible music (though even the Final Fantasies I don't really like have that).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

This game is what I want modern Final Fantasy to be. Like separate from it being FFVII and having established characters and all that, I mean just like... the overall package. A fun combat system that blends action and RPG in cool ways. An interesting world to explore full of characters with a lot of personality. Lots of character-building moments for the main party and a compelling set of character relationships and group dynamic. Incredible music (though even the Final Fantasies I don't really like have that).

I genuinely wonder if it's the fact that it is FF7 that lets them do it. There's no question about it selling so they can afford to be crazy on it. It certainly is interesting to compare it to FF16 which genuinely feels like it was made as restrained and low budget as possible.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I genuinely wonder if it's the fact that it is FF7 that lets them do it. There's no question about it selling so they can afford to be crazy on it. It certainly is interesting to compare it to FF16 which genuinely feels like it was made as restrained and low budget as possible.

That could be. FFXVI was a game I could definitely feel straining against what it could have been, straining against its limits, which is something I've felt with a lot of modern Final Fantasies. VII Rebirth is the first non-MMO one in a long while that doesn't give me that feeling.

It does feel like they rolled out the red carpet for this one because it's FFVII. I hope (assuming it's successful) it encourages them to have more fun in the next mainline game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, with 16 I never even came close to assuming they could have had the budget for 20 different bespoke minigames and 400 different songs so that even a random-rear end NPC can have his own custom jpop themesong and all the ambitious insanity that Rebirth has. Maybe the Rebirth team is just way better at working with what they have (and had the advantage of having Remake to build on) but still. And I still like 16 but whew boy if I compare the two it isn't even close which one comes out ahead.

Honestly I'd be tempted to double dip on Rebirth for PC when it hits if just for the inevitable "add Sephiroth to your party" mods.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 7: Am I to assume I can't get into the desert part of the Corel Region until later? My immediate assumption is that that''s where Corel Prison is (don't correct me)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

Chapter 7: Am I to assume I can't get into the desert part of the Corel Region until later? My immediate assumption is that that''s where Corel Prison is (don't correct me)

Yes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I kind of assume 16's budget and dev time was comparable to this - they just focused those resources on the kaiju fights and production values instead of all the other stuff. It certainly looks and runs a lot better than Rebirth does.

Actually 16 would've been in development a lot longer, assuming Rebirth didn't start much before Remake was out.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Oh my upper junon lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chapter 5 solidified Red XIII as my new favorite FFVII character

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Harrow posted:

That could be. FFXVI was a game I could definitely feel straining against what it could have been, straining against its limits, which is something I've felt with a lot of modern Final Fantasies. VII Rebirth is the first non-MMO one in a long while that doesn't give me that feeling.

FFXVI feels like Yoshi-P making the most of a relatively low budget. I don’t know how much the game cost, but I do remember comments about them running into financial constraints toward the end.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Final Fantasy 16 is still really great in my opinion. I thoroughly loved that game a lot.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

16 was good but I wish it had more to do in the world. The game felt very much like the main quest was the most important thing through and through.

Looking forward to whatever 17 ends up being though.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
After Juno’s parade: (not really spoiler but I guess I won’t take a chance?) ”You can trust us, just like we trust you, sir!” Ok that was oddly heartbreaking

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'm riding the Segway around and all I can think of is Gob Bluth.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

After Juno’s parade: (not really spoiler but I guess I won’t take a chance?) ”You can trust us, just like we trust you, sir!” Ok that was oddly heartbreaking

My stingy rear end with healing items so far was like a grandma on halloween with those potions in the post parade sequence lemme tell ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Augus posted:

btw the game doesn’t tell you this but if you double-tap and hold R2 the chocobo will take off at a much higher speed than a normal dash.
same applies to Red XIII in that Costa del Sol minigame

There are basically two dash "phases." Doesn't require a "double-tap" specifically, but rather just a second tap while you're normal-dashing.