Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Phy posted:

Watching Ghostwatch, delighted that Craig Charles is in it

GhostWatch is so fantastic. I didn't rate it as highly as some when I first saw it but it hasn't left my head ever since so I've grown extremely fond of it. The cultural context surrounding it is great too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

alf_pogs posted:

the kids birthday party scene in Smile had me lolling hard at how unbelievably cruel it was. telegraphed it a mile away and I still didn't see it coming

Yes, lmao. Won me over totally.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Agreed, that one scene, just for being so hilariously nasty, bumped the whole movie up a whole letter grade. I was expecting it to pull the punch with the actual reveal and it totally didn't.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The main thing I remember about Smile was when they played the trailer in front of Thor: Love and Thunder for some damned reason and it hosed my kid up for a while.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Hmm what horror movie am I watching today. I think The Sect if I can get it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Hollismason posted:

I'm gonna watch Night of the Creeps later, so I vote Night of the Creeps.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Gripweed posted:

I really didn't like the first Strangers. It was established so early on that the strangers had planed for everything and could get in the house whenever they want and there's absolutely nothing the victims could do to fight back. So the bulk of the movie is just waiting for the strangers to finally decide to kill them for whatever reason.

The sequel was like a direct response to my problem with the first one. The victims can actually fight back and it's an exciting back and forth between the strangers and the chose victims, I liked the sequel a lot.

These were my feelings as well. I almost fell asleep during the first one, and it never really got any hooks in me. I even love Glen Howerton and that didn't save it. The second one I at least felt like I cared about the family and had some skin in the game.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Leatherhead posted:

These were my feelings as well. I almost fell asleep during the first one, and it never really got any hooks in me. I even love Glen Howerton and that didn't save it. The second one I at least felt like I cared about the family and had some skin in the game.

To be fair, Glenn's role in the Strangers is basically Scatman Crothers in The Shining.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'm gonna watch Night of the Creeps later, so I vote Night of the Creeps.

Evergreen post right here

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Night of the creeps is really dang good.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Been a Sydney Sweeney defender since day 1, will die a Sydney Sweeney defender

https://twitter.com/fiImgal/status/1763704267867591164

quote:

Sydney Sweeney auditioned for horror film ‘IMMACULATE’ in 2014, but the project never materialised.

Years later, she took on the role of a producer and reached out to the writer, acquired and revised the script, hired a director, found financiers, and sold the film to Neon.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I've been saying she should be a scream queen forever, so I'm glad she's finally getting a shot at a horror movie. I hope it's good, cuz she can really loving act.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
She's probably the best actor out of the latest crop of young actors and actresses. Not a very high bar to clear but I'm glad she's getting more work outside of Euphoria even though she should probably be picking better projects than Madame Web.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

She was in that new romcom, Anyone But You, which I've heard is fine but also made an absolute killing at the box office, so at least her name is staying out there.

Anyway, like I said I was gonna watch earlier, everyone rest easy because Night of the Creeps still rules.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 2, 2024

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Sect is totally loving bonkers of a film. I'm still not sure what the hell happened. I'm now watching Lisa Frankenstein and it is very mid.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Watched The VVitch for the first time.

1. It was pretty good IMO.
2. Great casting of Lysa (Lisa?) Arryn as the mother, that woman can play a crazy mom with the best of em.
3. What's the significance of writing it as VVitch instead of Witch? Is it supposed to call to mind a horned animal, hinting at what's going on, or does it just look cooler?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Starship troopers is still the goat

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
is stopmotion any good

should i at least catch it while it's in

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

GhostWatch is so fantastic. I didn't rate it as highly as some when I first saw it but it hasn't left my head ever since so I've grown extremely fond of it. The cultural context surrounding it is great too.

Reading up on the culture/history behind it really helped make it pop more for me.

C-Euro posted:

3. What's the significance of writing it as VVitch instead of Witch? Is it supposed to call to mind a horned animal, hinting at what's going on, or does it just look cooler?

That's how the printed W was during the 1600s because of the typeset on the early printing press. The W as we know it became more common place during the 1700s.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hollismason posted:

I'm watching Psycho II.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Circutron posted:

Personally if I had to deal with a manifestation of my mental illness I would simply just use the excuse to hit it with a baseball bat, fucker has it coming. Sorry about your psychiatrist but I'm built different.

yeah the new matrix movie was alright

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

This weekend I finally got to see, and love, Poor Things and Lisa Frankenstein!

I also got to see Out of Darkness. Umm...the first 62 minutes were really really good! Goes off a cliff right after that, then rolls down another hill in the last five minutes, but yeah, love those first 62 minutes :yeah:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Alan Smithee posted:

is stopmotion any good

should i at least catch it while it's in

I thought it was very good. Seeing the actual stop motion work on a big screen was incredibly impressive.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

C-Euro posted:

2. Great casting of Lysa (Lisa?) Arryn as the mother, that woman can play a crazy mom with the best of em.

It’s so you can call it die vitch in a bad German accent

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

WeaponX posted:

It’s so you can call it die vitch in a bad German accent

The vuh-vitch.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Night of the creeps is really dang good.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Anyway, like I said I was gonna watch earlier, everyone rest easy because Night of the Creeps still rules.

Just really excellent posts in this thread recently.

CelticPredator posted:

Starship troopers is still the goat

Jedit posted:

I'm watching Psycho II.

Still others.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

M_Sinistrari posted:

That's how the printed W was during the 1600s because of the typeset on the early printing press. The W as we know it became more common place during the 1700s.

Ohhhhhhhhh neat, thanks

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

It's so, so good. I was still pretty young when was originally broadcast so I didn't get to watch it until a few years later, but I remember all of the fallout that surrounded it. The UK tabloids (who have always wanted to kill the BBC) did this massive display of performative outrage about how shocking and disturbing it was to have such a thing appear on TV. They were printing stories of people killing themselves because of it, etc. which all turned out to be fake or completely unrelated, of course.

The use of well-known and beloved British TV presenters make it so perfect in a way that, say, WNUF Halloween Special can't reach because nobody knows who the presenters in that are. Michael Parkinson was probably the most known TV presenter in the country - generally known only for very serious interviews and reports - and here he is hosting this (allegedly) live programme with also UK-famous Sarah Greene and Craig Charles - it MUST be real, right?

It's obviously not going to be the scariest thing anyone could watch nowadays but the fact that it even exists and had the impact that it did is nothing short of phenomenal. It's something that had never really been done before and has been pretty much impossible to do since. I think the only thing that even comes close in terms of sheer fascination for me is the viral marketing around The Blair Witch Project.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wish someone could redo wnuf but make it actually cool you know?

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Dead Meat's doing their 2024 Horror Awards right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q5qkLksACE
Whether you're a fan of the channel or not, it's nice to see the year's horror movies get their due, and they've got a pretty impressive range of people involved.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I like James but I don’t agree with him much so I kinda stopped watching lol

But he’s a cool dude and a real gem for the horror community. It sucks people just watch his videos instead of the movies and base their opinion on what he says but that’s not his fault.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

CelticPredator posted:

I wish someone could redo wnuf but make it actually cool you know?

I like WNUF plenty, it's fine, but trying to do Ghostwatch as an actual film with actors instead of beloved TV presenters and not broadcast on TV (while pretending to be a live performance) can never land as well. It's a film we're watching in theatres/streaming/digital media, we know it's pre-recorded.

The legacy of the panic generated might be a little overstated, a bit like the Orson Welles 'War of the Worlds', but it was such a novel concept that even if it wasn't very good it would deserve kudos for trying something so ambitious. But it turned out to be really well done. I wish I had watched it when it first aired, although I'm also glad that I didn't because my bedroom was next to the boiler that used to make thumping noises in the pipe during the night.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

For me it’s the fact that the threat or event is just some guy and not ghosts or in its sequel not aliens.

I just found it disappointing. The concept is rad but I didn’t get much out of it

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Rewatching Re-Animator tonight and I think it's maybe my favorite opening scene in a horror movie, it's so gross and over the top and then those opening credits rule

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Leatherhead posted:

Dead Meat's doing their 2024 Horror Awards right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q5qkLksACE
Whether you're a fan of the channel or not, it's nice to see the year's horror movies get their due, and they've got a pretty impressive range of people involved.

I subscribe, but i don't watch a lot of the content. I get horror'd out pretty quick so watching youtube vidoes about it makes me not want to watch it.

I really enjoyed their Chucky aftershow, i wish they continued it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
sorry to bother the thread, but does anyone remember an extremely over the top gory italian movie (i'm not actually sure that it was italian, thinking about it) made in the early 2010s. I cannot remember the title, just the trailer, which featured a guy with long hair punching various people till they exploded. I think it had the word 'necro' in the title but, again, can't be sure.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

C-Euro posted:

It's one of my favorite movies of all time. The cinematography, acting, set design, and impending doom horror were all done superbly in my opinion. I can see people not liking it that much since it drags and a lot of A24 films are polarizing with their pacing. I was engrossed in the story and the family so it breezes by for me but things like Hereditary and Midsommar seem to be 5 hours long to me because I hated them, even though they're similar to Eggers' development of characters.

I also think Eggers can do no wrong so I'm a big fanboy. I like that he named it the VVitch so I can annoy people by pronouncing it Vivitch.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I liked The Vvitch but I live for The Lighthouse

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Snowman_McK posted:

sorry to bother the thread, but does anyone remember an extremely over the top gory italian movie (i'm not actually sure that it was italian, thinking about it) made in the early 2010s. I cannot remember the title, just the trailer, which featured a guy with long hair punching various people till they exploded. I think it had the word 'necro' in the title but, again, can't be sure.

You're probably thinking Adam Chaplin, from production company Necrostorm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

You're probably thinking Adam Chaplin, from production company Necrostorm.

that is indeed it. thanks very much.