Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Sockser posted:

I am doing the first protorelic minigame in chapter 9 and … I’m either very bad, this is very hard, or I’m missing something

It took me five tries to barely scrape 1000 points, I have no idea how you would begin to hit the 2000 point mark

E:
2500?!?!!!

In cases like this I almost always immediately go to YouTube and watch someone else do it and copy them cuz I ain’t got the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

One of the things that is really bothering me about the story now that i'm done with that part, even with all of the conflict, the entire thing is almost consequence / stakes free for both the protag and antag characters. The game very much wants to have it both ways especially with the ending. There are so many moments with plot armor, and fake outs in each chapter that it started to get really frustrating and predictable.

Kosume Shezaki
Feb 23, 2006

Skeezy posted:

16 was good but I wish it had more to do in the world. The game felt very much like the main quest was the most important thing through and through.

Looking forward to whatever 17 ends up being though.

This is where 7 really shines and also highlights something of an issue I've had with a lot of games lately. i actually believe 7s setting is a world where people would just be doing normal life. Yes you see it during a apocalyptic event, but they highlight enough that I don't feel like it exists solely for the game to live in and not much else no matter how many books or lore tidbits a dev throws in.l16 had the seeds of that, but I still found myself not really feeling how that world would be without the plot currently happening. Hell the parade is a big example of it, it's a very grounded setpiece mainly dealing with people during what was up to a point a major but still typical day for them and that's why it works despite being about 45 minutes long. Those guys continue to live and do their thing and you hope you never have to go against them

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Got up to the Gold Saucer earlier today. Found myself thinking about the second Zack segment earlier. After my replay of Remake I took note of Jessie's mentioning her father's interest in Planetology, and how she believed his soul was lost out there somewhere. I'd thought that maybe Zack was in that same "lost" place, but with Elmyra and that orphanage kid there I'm not so sure anymore. Interested in seeing where this goes, but not so interested that I won't stop checking off every node once I get access to the second half of the Corel map babyyyyyy

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Augus posted:

btw the game doesn’t tell you this but if you double-tap and hold R2 the chocobo will take off at a much higher speed than a normal dash.
same applies to Red XIII in that Costa del Sol minigame

The game explicitly tells you this in the tutorial screen.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I need to be able to switch to Red XIII on the piano

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Knee high to a tonberry is my new favorite turn of phrase

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Chapter 8 kicked immense amounts of rear end

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Ror posted:

I need to be able to switch to Red XIII on the piano

Leaked footage of Red XIII piano gameplay they'll put in the DLC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J---aiyznGQ

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Which moron thought people would want to hear Chadley and Mai prattle on and on about boring bullshit every time you interact with a point of interest?

Seriously hope they patch in some way to mute these two. I'm almost done with the Junon area and they have not said anything even remotely interesting this entire time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mustang posted:

Which moron thought people would want to hear Chadley and Mai prattle on and on about boring bullshit every time you interact with a point of interest?

Seriously hope they patch in some way to mute these two. I'm almost done with the Junon area and they have not said anything even remotely interesting this entire time.

The best part is when Mai tells you something over fighting enemies and so you cant understand what they are saying.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

stev posted:

I kind of assume 16's budget and dev time was comparable to this - they just focused those resources on the kaiju fights and production values instead of all the other stuff. It certainly looks and runs a lot better than Rebirth does.

From a technical nitpick standpoint the only thing that really bugs me is I wish they had just invested a liiitle more effort in fabric simulation/physics. Stuff like Aerith's dress and various robes and long coats just consistently do weird things that I find oddly immersion-breaking for some reason.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ZiegeDame posted:

The game explicitly tells you this in the tutorial screen.

Does it tell you that you can Chocobo drift?? I can’t remember

The Final & The Fantasy VII: Chocobo Drift

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So at some point Red XIII's voice changes and I hate it lol

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Quinton posted:

From a technical nitpick standpoint the only thing that really bugs me is I wish they had just invested a liiitle more effort in fabric simulation/physics. Stuff like Aerith's dress and various robes and long coats just consistently do weird things that I find oddly immersion-breaking for some reason.

That's what the UE5/eventual UE6 remaster in 2030 is for. They'll rebalance it and add old mechanics into part one, squish the games into one 350+ hour masterpiece, and charge us $100 for it, which we'll gladly pay.

Also lmao at this Yuffie/Cloud banter (chapter 9 quest) talking about cloned Tifas and Yuffie calls Cloud a perv for silently thinking about it. GOAT.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Does difficulty (chapter 4) of the parade march influence whether you win the first award? I did 3* on all and took me two tries, but does the higher difficulty actually change anything? Maybe the cutscene just looks fancier?

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Ytlaya posted:

Does difficulty (chapter 4) of the parade march influence whether you win the first award? I did 3* on all and took me two tries, but does the higher difficulty actually change anything? Maybe the cutscene just looks fancier?

100K approving fans is the threshold for a trophy and the first award. Note that you can get bonus points per round by adjusting your formation. Still, barring some RNG I'm unaware of, you cannot get that by just doing 1 stars across the board. I think I ended up with 1/2/2 and got the trophy.

Animations don't change between difficulties, just button presses.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Vitamean posted:

Got up to the Gold Saucer earlier today. Found myself thinking about the second Zack segment earlier. After my replay of Remake I took note of Jessie's mentioning her father's interest in Planetology, and how she believed his soul was lost out there somewhere. I'd thought that maybe Zack was in that same "lost" place, but with Elmyra and that orphanage kid there I'm not so sure anymore. Interested in seeing where this goes, but not so interested that I won't stop checking off every node once I get access to the second half of the Corel map babyyyyyy

Thinking about this more after taking a nap in the Gold Saucer. Wonder if it's a world built out of memories that the whispers took from Aerith. Would explain why Biggs is there, based on the stuff from the novel. Not entirely sure how I'd square this with stuff like "why is the dog different" but, eh, we'll see how it goes. At least, I did look up from the balcony in Aerith's house and the plate seems to still be missing.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Mustang posted:

It is bananas there is not a volume option for the controller speaker.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Was (Upper Junon boss)Roche super easy for anyone else? I beat him in like 60 seconds. I guess I’m somehow overleveled even though I’m on Dynamic difficulty?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

gently caress Fort Condor.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Thundarr posted:

gently caress Fort Condor.

words of the deranged???

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

tired: the beach that makes you old

wired: the toxic swamp that turns you into a frog

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Cruise Ship Children's Card Game: My dog barked at the TV when Red XIII was dog-scriminated against and then howled when he showed up as the final boss.

God, what a game.

RatHat posted:

Was (Upper Junon boss)Roche super easy for anyone else? I beat him in like 60 seconds. I guess I’m somehow overleveled even though I’m on Dynamic difficulty?

Honestly, I always thought the joke of his fights is that he's not anywhere in the same weight class as Cloud. Cloud can counter most of his attacks and odds are will have the fire materia to toast him.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Vitamean posted:

words of the deranged???

Its a puzzle pretending to be a strategy game, and trying to play it like a strategy game will get you owned repeatedly. And for some reason the base game difficulty setting affects it too.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Rageaholic posted:

So at some point Red XIII's voice changes and I hate it lol

I love it

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Nucular Carmul posted:

My stingy rear end with healing items so far was like a grandma on halloween with those potions in the post parade sequence lemme tell ya.

I was gonna make sure every single one of those boys made it. They trusted their captain o7

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Augus posted:

I love it

Same it is an extremely good character development

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Midgar 7th Infantry are my bestest pals

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the end of chapter 8. what a rollercoaster, huh

dyne's scenes might have been the best performance of the game thus far, though for all the tilt-a-whirl mood whiplash that followed, the part i took issue with most was the squad of shinra troopers that materialized just in time to give him an issue-free death. i get they didn't have a convenient cliffside this time, but those guys just ninja'd through a solid sheetmetal wall

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 4, 2024

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
This final fort condor battle is some bullshit.

Killed the boss but it was right after hitting zero on the time limit. What a lame mini game. Not even fun.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

f#a# posted:

100K approving fans is the threshold for a trophy and the first award. Note that you can get bonus points per round by adjusting your formation. Still, barring some RNG I'm unaware of, you cannot get that by just doing 1 stars across the board. I think I ended up with 1/2/2 and got the trophy.

Animations don't change between difficulties, just button presses.

I got 95k using the 3 star ones ugh

JBP fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 4, 2024

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Cool, just had my first crash and now I have to redo a summon fight

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I hope no trophy requires me to get really good a the piano minigame or else I'm in trouble! Two left hands made of thumbs.

I take back what I said about Aerith earlier. I picked up some bad habits in my Remake playthrough I did just before this came out and those are finally getting shaken off. She still starts out a bit too slow with the ATB gains but once you unlock that attack with Tifa you did get a ton of buildup.

Thank goodness for those elemental ability attacks you can get. So much materia, so little slots to put them in.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jimbot posted:

I hope no trophy requires me to get really good a the piano minigame or else I'm in trouble! Two left hands made of thumbs.

I take back what I said about Aerith earlier. I picked up some bad habits in my Remake playthrough I did just before this came out and those are finally getting shaken off. She still starts out a bit too slow with the ATB gains but once you unlock that attack with Tifa you did get a ton of buildup.

Thank goodness for those elemental ability attacks you can get. So much materia, so little slots to put them in.

Sadly at least one does

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Finished the Costa del Sol chapter.

That was fun, but I'm kind of disappointed in the way that our heroes have made it clear that they're the Terrorists Who Don't Murder Anybody,* even Barrett. Hojo spent the entire chapter oozing sexual menace to a bunch of women, but we're letting him go because "we've done enough" and then stare at the sunset wondering if hating him makes us a bad person just because he kept two of us prisoner for several years.

This is one of the areas where I feel like Rebirth's mastery of tone falls apart.

*except for nameless mooks, we kill those all the time without a care

Anyway, I love Red XIII; he's the breakout character of 2024.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

The piano mini game is weirdly nice about that one trophy if we're talking about the same trophy. You need to get the highest grade on everything else, but it's okay with A rank for piano stuff.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Finished the Costa del Sol chapter.

That was fun, but I'm kind of disappointed in the way that our heroes have made it clear that they're the Terrorists Who Don't Murder Anybody,* even Barrett. Hojo spent the entire chapter oozing sexual menace to a bunch of women, but we're letting him go because "we've done enough" and then stare at the sunset wondering if hating him makes us a bad person just because he kept two of us prisoner for several years.

This is one of the areas where I feel like Rebirth's mastery of tone falls apart.

*except for nameless mooks, we kill those all the time without a care

Anyway, I love Red XIII; he's the breakout character of 2024.

when barret said "we've done enough" i got the feeling that he meant their presence had already attracted one shinra military unit to the town, and killing hojo would mean they'd firebomb the entire place in retaliation

he's had personal experience with that kind of thing

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Kalm.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

the end of chapter 8. what a rollercoaster, huh

dyne's scenes might have been the best performance of the game thus far, though for all the tilt-a-whirl mood whiplash that followed, the part i took issue with most was the squad of shinra troopers that materialized just in time to give him an issue-free death. i get they didn't have a convenient cliffside this time, but those guys just ninja'd through a solid sheetmetal wall

I love all things Barret and Barret related things so I enjoyed that sequence even if we're just gonna skip over Dyne turned into Eustace Kidd for the imitated and Magneto for the laymen.

Also I'm at the Cosmo Canyon piano now and this poo poo is bonkers, I can barely C rank it and I can only assume it's gonna keep ratcheting up. I think for my own sanity I'm just gonna have to let this one go, drat