Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm double dosing on Yakuza games and I've gotta say, the Masked Man in chapter 1 of Ishin is probably the toughest fight I've ever done in any of these games. Even Majima in the beginning of Kiwami 1 was just so signposted that you weren't going to win that it didn't bother me that much. Also Agent style in Gaiden starts feeling way better the further you go through the story and unlock the other two gadgets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, Agent kinda starts underwhelming because it’s just kinda Crane without the sweeping crowd control kicks (unless you’re in Heat mode) but having all the weird special gadgets makes it feel more complete. Love just chain throwing cigarette bombs while my small drone army harries a mob of goons.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it was funny getting halfway through kurohyou and having my outlook on its combat shift from "it's cool to have a game focused around more realistic mma fighting" to really desperately wishing i had some of the more ridiculous moves from something like agent style instead of having to chain grapple a guy to the ground the entire fight for the 80th time

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

tbh the default gadget also rules when you level it up.

tying up 1 enemy and throwing them? kinda weak. tying up 5 enemies at once and swinging them around like a lasso? very effective, as it turns out

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I just happened to find the key for the Bloody Binding while walking around even before unlocking the black market and getting the contact lenses. Turns out that 560 atk at the beginning of the game is enough to turn the game into 'Cutscene Kiryu' mode where basic enemies crumple in 3 hits at max while you're in Yakuza style. And the defense debuff barely even registers. Agent style still feels really weak in comparison despite those buffs somehow.

Also, this is the first time I've enjoyed Dragon Engine Kiryu. Turns out that my only problem was that they abandoned the Dragon/Legend style for a more generic moveset in Kiwami 2 & 6.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i liked it in kiwami 2. yakuza 6 just had bizarrely terrible feeling combat

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'm the other way around, yak6 Kiryu could sweep enemies with his basic combo and the physics would lead to comedic results, kiwami 2 in turn is duller and the block breaker spam is a problem

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

i'm gonna do it, gonna finish Crisis Core, screw you missions, not gonna fall into the spiral anymore.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

GateOfD posted:

i'm gonna do it, gonna finish Crisis Core, screw you missions, not gonna fall into the spiral anymore.

become a hero

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Crisis Core.

i don't think having only one wing would allow all these people to fly as straight and swift as they seem to do

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GateOfD posted:

Crisis Core.

i don't think having only one wing would allow all these people to fly as straight and swift as they seem to do

Did you notice that the two great angels only have one wing each...? According to a legend handed down in Nisan… God could have created humans perfectly... But then, humans would not have helped each other... So that is what these great single-winged angels symbolizes... In order to fly, they are dependent on one another.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
think I landed on a crt shader that makes ff9 and chrono cross look pretty good, i was going to play ff9 with moguri mod on the deck but i've come to dislike how some of the bgs turned out, especially cobblestone

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Hello! Been a bit since I checked in on RPG thread. Hope you've all been doing well! I have one RPG I have been seriously enjoying, and one that drops tomorrow I am particulary excited about.

Caves of Lore is close-to-perfect bait for me. It's got beautiful pixel art and animations, an emphasis on exploration, lots of different interesting progress bars to manage, not much time limit pressure, and a ton of tactically interesting spells that interact with each other in neat ways. Use geomancy to crack the ground, and then cast eruption or abyssal arm spells that interact with those cracks. Call down lightning or stalactites from above, with MP discounts based on the weather, phases of various moons, and whether you are underground. Max out your Monster Lore on a creature to gain access to a unique themed passive ability AND be able to conjure it with summon spells (theoretically, if you use certain options to refight bosses enough, you can summon them!). If you ignore the flaws, it feels like Dark Sun meets BG3.

Of course, there are definitely flaws. This is a one dev passion project, and you can clearly see where that dev's passion for the project was focused. There's plenty of conceptually interesting characters to meet, but not much in the way of engaging character writing. It felt a little disappointing just how many NPCs just get a one dialogue box bark that doesn't quite match what's going on or wander around never engaging with you at all. When you do get a character who received writing attention, you are generally interacting with them using FF2-esque dialogue keywords, and it gets messy pretty quickly. There are tons of vestigial, poorly documented features. And the UX on this game is a mess! You're never sure what is a button and what is not. There might also be just a touch too much combat, though as someone who did a fair amount of grinding for fun to speed up my rate of memorizing spells off the grimoires I found that might be a bit of a self inflicted problem.

I heard about Caves of Lore from a podcast for indie game sickos, and the steam blurb they quoted was quite charming. If you like their pitch and you do not mind medium-high jank levels, I think it's worth a try!

===

The Thaumaturge, which is dropping tomorrow, is a Polish dev's attempt to make a turn based RPG demonology game. I was initially quietly interested in this, Shin Megami Tensei games tend to lose my interest fast and a game that cuts down the number of demons could invest a lot more into making them individually interesting characters. A game that was more engaged with politics and history could give me a world that I'd find more satisfying to explore.

As some more info dropped, I found myself increasingly taken by the focus on establishing distinct eastern european vibes and the commitment to giving the player a protagonist with a pre-established outlook and history. I am legit quite curious what it's gonna be like walking in Wiktor's shoes for a bit and nudging his decisions one way or another. I don't think I should come into this expecting another Disco Elysium, but I do think this has the potential to be an excellent time.

Plus, there was a steam thread where apparently someone got really mad about being forced to play a character who didn't like the Russian Tsar. Couple of developer quotes from there:
"First of all, I just wanted to say that I'm glad you got interested in the game!
The reason we included that in the game description is because Warsaw 1905 is actually a very uncommon setting and a huge chunk of the audience might not know much about the city at that time. As you’ve found through your own research, Warsaw at the beginning of the 20th century was vibrant with people of different nationalities, religions, ethnicities, various cultures and speaking different languages. This fact about the city might be surprising to some but we believe that it also makes it very interesting. Throughout the game you’ll meet characters from different cultures, such as Polish, Russian, Jewish, etc. Their nationality won’t be the core of their personalities or characters but it won’t be completely insignificant as well.
The cultural variety is not the core of the game but you can’t accurately depict Warsaw 1905 without mentioning how vastly diverse the place was.
The Salutors (monsters) present in the game are not simple violent beasts but rather mysterious ethereal beings manifested by and attracted to people's flaws, evil deeds and deep desires. “Everyone has their own demons” can be taken both literally and metaphorically in this case :)"

"Hi guys! I think it is important to understand one thing here. Wiktor is from Warsaw which was under Russian partition during that time and he's Polish so I guess it's not that surprising that he's not fond of the Russian Tsardom. However, I also want to point out that throughout the course of the game you'll encounter many NPCs and different factions. Some will be supporting the Russian Empire and some will be opposing it. Wiktor has a choice to either work with or against them and it will result in different outcomes."

As someone who stayed away from Kingdom Come: Deliverance because the vibes from the devs there felt pretty skeevy, I am hopeful that what we are seeing here is the opposite, and they are really interested in giving us a picture of a place and time with some depth, nuance, and empathy for all the various factions involved. And some ahistorical sorcery, of course. Here's hoping they can deliver!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
beat evergrace. there's... a lot to like about it. it could be one of the most distinct and memorable rpgs from's ever made. unfortunately half of that is for the wrong reasons. shalami's side of the game is too brief but it's at least short enough that it's over before the game's started dragging too much. yuterald (darius) in comparison is way too long. he gets multiple larger, more complex areas with more annoying puzzles that take much longer to get through. once you're past that the last dungeon is too much of a repeat between both characters and is not much better or worse for either of them. the final boss is like a bad joke, i didn't have much trouble with the hex-based one but fighting the other one with shalami was a huge mistake, it's far too easy to go into his fight with very few weapons that can actually damage him and thus get stuck having to use something flimsy like the claws that barely deal damage and barely have any range.

i want to love evergrace but compared to from's prior output, it is by far one of the most miserable rpgs they've ever made to interact with on a basic level and that kind of completely soured my feelings on it. you might think the shift to a third person perspective with analog movement would be a huge boon for making things more accessible and easy to control, but instead it mostly makes evergrace feel more slippery and unstable and makes the camera actually feel even worse. you use all the same strategies you'd use to fight enemies in king's field or shadow tower but those strategies manage to feel jankier than when you actually had to worry about positioning because evergrace's basic movement is such a consistent pain in the rear end and the enemies are much more fiddly to deal with than they've ever been before.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Crisis Core done.
Pretty good short OVA. I do take into account that it was a PSP game, so the combat was really simple, and very easy to just make it so that you oneshot about everything that isn't super secret final max boss or whatever, but I'm far from looking to grind for that. But if you ask me if it enriched the lore, I say it did, so it was a success imo. Not that huge into Genesis, but did like all the Zack and Aerith scenes and glimpses into Sephiroth when he was just a good working salaryman. Loved Cissnei.

RIP Zack, you were a hero.
I liked how they incorporated the DMW slots into his final stand, and it being Aerith as he's losing consciousness.

Can't believe they let me hanging on Cissnei's real name like that. I never touched Dirge of Cerberus, so no idea if much of the stuff here ended up in that game.

Aerith was my favorite, so I shipped Cloud and her when I played OG FF7. But seeing Zack and Aerith together, its like nope, its those two forever. Stay away from Aerith, Cloud. You get Tifa. Or Yuffie.
Cloud sure was a wuss in this lol. Other than when he lifted up Sephiroth by the sword and tossed him down. laughed/died that one of the final scenes was a j-pop montage of Zack from Cloud's perspective.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The Penny Blood prequel roguelike is coming out this week in early access for everyone, not just backers this week.

Also this neat looking RTWP strategy RPG called Blade Prince Academy.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

GateOfD posted:

Crisis Core done.
Pretty good short OVA. I do take into account that it was a PSP game, so the combat was really simple, and very easy to just make it so that you oneshot about everything that isn't super secret final max boss or whatever, but I'm far from looking to grind for that. But if you ask me if it enriched the lore, I say it did, so it was a success imo. Not that huge into Genesis, but did like all the Zack and Aerith scenes and glimpses into Sephiroth when he was just a good working salaryman. Loved Cissnei.

I liked how they incorporated the DMW slots into his final stand, and it being Aerith as he's losing consciousness.

Can't believe they let me hanging on Cissnei's real name like that. I never touched Dirge of Cerberus, so no idea if much of the stuff here ended up in that game.

Aerith was my favorite, so I shipped Cloud and her when I played OG FF7. But seeing Zack and Aerith together, its like nope, its those two forever. Stay away from Aerith, Cloud. You get Tifa. Or Yuffie.
Cloud sure was a wuss in this lol. Other than when he lifted up Sephiroth by the sword and tossed him down. laughed/died that one of the final scenes was a j-pop montage of Zack from Cloud's perspective.

Have you played FF7R?

Because Zack may not be dead this time around.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you ship Cloud with Aerith you probably think Luke Combs is country and have never heard of Waylon Jennings. Piss of back to Midgar, city slicker, you aint welcome here in Nibble

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

yea I played Remake.
But I still consider CC/OG FF7 its own separate thing really. Since CC was made long ago.

the FF7R, whatever different stuff they try on the story, its an entertaining spin, but I don't consider both the same entity.

also, oh god, 150gigs for FF7Remake, and then probably an interlude later down the line.

Like, with the first FF7R, Interlude, Remake, CC, FF16, that's the whole PS5 harddrive, wtf.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GateOfD posted:

Crisis Core done.

Cissnei's real name is like that because the player gets to name her in Before Crisis. So it is basically an excuse to avoid overwriting the player's choice.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i liked it in kiwami 2. yakuza 6 just had bizarrely terrible feeling combat

New engine growing pains I guess. Changing things to just 1 health bar max for every boss was a good move though.

It's probably not the place to ask but I'm going for it regardless; Playing a little Like a Dragon: Ishin! Has me wanting an Infamous-like game from the dark times of good/evil morality bars. But mainly the part where your effort is reflected on the world. Like, doing good side missions gets the area cleaned up and fixed a bit more.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

GateOfD posted:

yea I played Remake.
But I still consider CC/OG FF7 its own separate thing really. Since CC was made long ago.

the FF7R, whatever different stuff they try on the story, its an entertaining spin, but I don't consider both the same entity.

also, oh god, 150gigs for FF7Remake, and then probably an interlude later down the line.

Like, with the first FF7R, Interlude, Remake, CC, FF16, that's the whole PS5 harddrive, wtf.

If you've read The Dark Tower series by Stephen King, FF7 vs FF7R is, IMO, basically doing what those books did at the very end - the story is being retold, but this time it'll be different and things will be set right

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

looked a bit more into some Unicorn Overlord videos, the prologue sections and such.

wow, the character model action scenes are really drat good. Like not talking about the in-game battles, but the in-game cutscenes with them interacting and the fighting, its so fluid.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GateOfD posted:

looked a bit more into some Unicorn Overlord videos, the prologue sections and such.

wow, the character model action scenes are really drat good. Like not talking about the in-game battles, but the in-game cutscenes with them interacting and the fighting, its so fluid.

Vanillaware are amazing artists, all their games have gorgeous animation. Odin Sphere and 13 Sentinels are both well worth your time too.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

I did play Odinsphere and Muramasa The Demon Blade, thought that 13 Sentinels went too far in the VN direction though, and didn't enjoy the gameplay in that one.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
13 sentinels was cool but it was too straight. they wrote a funny gay couple, they could've written funny lesbians too

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I think I played Odin Sphere too late because the combat seemed quite basic and just never really grabbed me.

13 Sentinels rules though

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
important what version of odin sphere you played cause the og ps2 version had problems

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyipkgTV4Us

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really loathe Odin Sphere's core romance

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

13 sentinels and odin spehere: lufthraiser ftw

hype for unicorn overlord (hours 7-80) to unlock in 5 days

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I really loathe Odin Sphere's core romance

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Odin Sphere had this larger than life fairy tale epic feeling so people just instantly falling in love sorta felt appropriate. It's not really the kind of story for naturalistic relationships. It's admittedly more of a stretch in 13 Sentinels especially because there's double the amount of main characters to pair up but it mostly worked for me and the ending stinger being a love lives eternal capstone to the entire story is very sweet.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I like both Gwendolyn and Oswald's relationship and Velvet and Cornelius'. The whole game is very fairy tale/stageplay in it's set up and writing but it manages to stick the beats it needs to for them to work IMO.

Also I guess Ingway and Mercede's tragic almost love is pretty good too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mycot posted:

Odin Sphere had this larger than life fairy tale epic feeling so people just instantly falling in love sorta felt appropriate. It's not really the kind of story for naturalistic relationships. It's admittedly more of a stretch in 13 Sentinels especially because there's double the amount of main characters to pair up but it mostly worked for me and the ending stinger being a love lives eternal capstone to the entire story is very sweet.

I don't mind it not being a naturalistic relationship, but the actual context of the romance is really gross and creepy even when they try to walk it back later. It genuinely ruined Odin Sphere for me and even when I went back and tried again with the new version it was pretty bad. Introducing it with the whole "You are going to be this guy's literal slave wife" thing destroyed any desire I had to see Oswald get a remotely happy ending, even with the eventual (and obvious) reveal that it was all a nothing.

(I'm fine with the rest to be honest, and I admit a big chunk of my discomfort is the *incredibly* loaded language Odin uses in the scene going in and not Oswald's fault, but it still feels bad to me.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 4, 2024

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

really felt like I was watching a theater production with the way Odinsphere framed the story scenes, I dug it.
battle system was alrite. All I know is I just fed myself with alot of food and overleveled.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

avoraciopoctules posted:

The Thaumaturge, which is dropping tomorrow, is a Polish dev's attempt to make a turn based RPG demonology game. I was initially quietly interested in this, Shin Megami Tensei games tend to lose my interest fast and a game that cuts down the number of demons could invest a lot more into making them individually interesting characters. A game that was more engaged with politics and history could give me a world that I'd find more satisfying to explore.

I loved this company's previous game, Seven: the Days Long Gone. It had plenty of rough bits and jank, but it absorbed me completely from start to finish. The Thaumaturge looks to be a very different style of game but I'm still pretty excited for it. Like I'm just happy they're still making stuff.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
thank god dark id will never be a topic of conversation for this thread again

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

thank god dark id will never be a topic of conversation for this thread again

I feel like I'm missing context here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

There is a Saga currently going on in LP over TDI, you really need to see it first-hand. But the tl;dr version is that apparently TDI posted in his Discord that he was dying of cancer and then slowbeef shows up with credible allegations that he's been making poo poo up for literal years and may in fact be a pathological liar.