Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Apparently the UCI is currently reevaluating hookless tubeless though because of that crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Apparently the UCI is currently reevaluating hookless tubeless though because of that crash.

Didn't I hear it was actually a rock?

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

Platystemon posted:

Or to replace the battery in the Airtag. :xd:

It's suggested to replace sealant about every 6 months, and an Airtag's battery life is about a year, so you would just replace the airtag battery every other sealant change.

Residency Evil posted:

Maybe it's because I haven't looked at the tech in ages, but I've never liked the idea of hookless tubeless on road tires because of the tire pressures involved with road tires.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Maybe it's because I haven't looked at the tech in ages, but I've never liked the idea of hookless tubeless on road tires because of the tire pressures involved with road tires.

Yeah and your fear is justified because that's how we've ended up with having to check a chart on a tire manufacturer website (and sometimes a wheel one too) for confirmation the pressure appropriate for your weight won't blow up at a given tire width. Bonkers.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Hopefully hookless goes away, tire retention is just too near the edge of failure for my tastes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The manufacturers gotta prank the industry every few years just to keep everyone on their toes.

Press‐fit bottom brackets was a good one.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

amenenema posted:

Yeah and your fear is justified because that's how we've ended up with having to check a chart on a tire manufacturer website (and sometimes a wheel one too) for confirmation the pressure appropriate for your weight won't blow up at a given tire width. Bonkers.

Don't forget ensuring that the specific brand and model of tires is compatible with your specific wheels.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dentist‐appproved :thumbsup:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Everything in those pictures is frightening

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

Which crash?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Speaking of tubeless, what’s the reality of sealant drying out if a bike isn’t used for a while? We talking weeks, months, years? Weather and dadlife can keep me from getting out for 1-2 months at a time.

I’d really like to replace my Marathons with something lighter and more comfortable now that I’m not commuting through Seattle’s industrial area (not commuting at all, even). The worst I face here are some goatheads which seem like they’d be perfectly addressed by tubeless (and my rims are tubeless compatible, maybe even tubeless-ready from the factory, though I don’t remember).

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Platystemon posted:

The manufacturers gotta prank the industry every few years just to keep everyone on their toes.

Press‐fit bottom brackets was a good one.

hookless rims and bb30 both exist to make it cheaper to crank out carbon fiber parts without any regard for the person who has to ride the goddamn bike

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Speaking of tubeless, what’s the reality of sealant drying out if a bike isn’t used for a while? We talking weeks, months, years? Weather and dadlife can keep me from getting out for 1-2 months at a time.

I’d really like to replace my Marathons with something lighter and more comfortable now that I’m not commuting through Seattle’s industrial area (not commuting at all, even). The worst I face here are some goatheads which seem like they’d be perfectly addressed by tubeless (and my rims are tubeless compatible, maybe even tubeless-ready from the factory, though I don’t remember).

It’s months, but is it two or tenth months? Ehhh, depends on sealant type, how much you put it, tires, and riding/storage conditions.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Orange Seal in a deflated tire that stays seated, stored in a cool room and not exposed to direct sunlight? 50mL might last a year in those conditions. The good thing about Orange Seal is it doesn't separate either. Some sealants simply go bad in that time.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

My summer bike will stay in storage over the winter and will be good to go in the spring without issue, but it's cold obviously

Winter bike stored over the hot summer no chance, I'll definitely have to put new sealant in

Either way it's only a 10 minute job with the orange seal injector bottle

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

It's suggested to replace sealant about every 6 months, and an Airtag's battery life is about a year, so you would just replace the airtag battery every other sealant change.

You don’t need to remove tyres to top up sealant, it’s pointless busywork, only when they’re worn out really. For a bike you actually ride regularly the dried sealant will be spread thinly around the tyre and weighs nothing.

HamburgerTownUSA posted:

Once you do it enough times and realize you don't have to be as gentle as you thought you had to, you can do it pretty quick.

I’d say the opposite; you do it enough to perfect your technique such that there’s no muscle or force required. No tyre levers, at least on modern folding tyres and when you’re not out in cold & wet weather.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Hookless is fine for lower pressure applications like MTB and gravel
Road feels like they pushed a bit too far and fast for it and you need to run like 32’s and pressure far below the stated max PSI (which shouldn’t be looked at as a target PSI)

Pros are probably pushing the boundaries of road hookless and the tolerances are just loose enough around it all that we might see issues

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

Which crash?

https://escapecollective.com/thomas-de-gendts-uae-tour-crash-is-a-warning-to-all/

Clark Nova posted:

hookless rims and bb30 both exist to make it cheaper to crank out carbon fiber parts without any regard for the person who has to ride the goddamn bike

YAAAAAHP

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

TobinHatesYou posted:

Orange Seal in a deflated tire that stays seated, stored in a cool room and not exposed to direct sunlight? 50mL might last a year in those conditions. The good thing about Orange Seal is it doesn't separate either. Some sealants simply go bad in that time.

I've got my winter wheelset in the basement and orange seal can easily last 8-10 months. I add a little before the first time I put them on, but it's never been an issue. I'll do that at least 2 seasons in a row with no issue.

Summer/etc wheelset gets topped up once a season or so, generally late summer (assuming the tire and wheel lasts a whole season which historically is.. dubious for me).

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Platystemon posted:

Seems bad. Did they reinforce both the chainstay and the fork for this? I imagine sudden braking might also pull out the fork.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol no

They’re going to end up like this, if not worse.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Its just a little sudden reverse asymmetric rake. Nothing you can't ride through.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Platystemon posted:

:pwn:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Looks nice and high-tech OP

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Don’t the judges like it when horses do this?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
This one looks like someone welded the caliper mounts on:

But that one looks OEM, although its an aftermarket fork I guess?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That’s brazing, not welding, and it’s classy.

But yeah I don’t know how many of these were sold by that by incompetent framebuilders and how many were aftermarket mods.

Here’s another example.

Here’s an even sketchier product.

Looking on the bright side, the bracket might break in half before the frame does.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 5, 2024

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I just bought a direct mount crankset. I'm going to run 24x51 on my krampus. Meet me at heart attack hill if you want an rear end kicking.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I have a Deore 1xsomething. When I’m on my smallest cog, my chain seems to randomly catch the next cog up and forcefully jam up to it. Mainly happens under a lot of pedaling force.

How do I adjust my derailleur to prevent this? I tried playing with the limit screws but don’t know exactly which way to screw them or how I know I’m at a good point other than “screw at random and see if it works”

To be clear, I can hit every cog shifting, but when on my smallest, my chain snags the adjacent cog sometimes and it can’t be good for the parts.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

The limit screws work by physically bumping into flat spot on the derailleur and stop it from moving any farther. One for each end of the cassette. They are only a limit and don't change shifting performance unless they prevent the derailleur from moving all the way to the cog. They are just to stop the chain from coming off the top or bottom of the cassette. When the derailleur is at either end of movement, you can look behind the screw and see the other end pushing on the cage to get an idea of how they work, it is surprisingly simple. Usually, you only ever need to adjust cable tension and the limits generally stay put barring a major change like a new wheel. Your situation was one where maybe a tiny bit of limit adjustment would let it get into that last cog all the way (assuming everything else shifted perfectly) but usually it's entirely tension. All bets are off now since you've been messing with the limits, you probably want to watch something like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkZxPIZ1ngY

taqueso fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Mar 5, 2024

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have a Deore 1xsomething. When I’m on my smallest cog, my chain seems to randomly catch the next cog up and forcefully jam up to it. Mainly happens under a lot of pedaling force.

How do I adjust my derailleur to prevent this? I tried playing with the limit screws but don’t know exactly which way to screw them or how I know I’m at a good point other than “screw at random and see if it works”

To be clear, I can hit every cog shifting, but when on my smallest, my chain snags the adjacent cog sometimes and it can’t be good for the parts.

First, yes this could be a high limit issue. You would want to turn the limit screw CCW to back it out. You should be able to see where the end of the bolt butts up against a plate. Back out the bolt until it no longer makes contact, and then advance the bolt until it barely makes contact.

If the problem persists, it could be that the indexing isn't perfect, derailleur hanger alignment, worn components, etc. You could try rotating the barrel adjuster CCW a click or two to see if changing the indexing helps.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Look just released a line of PM pedals. Maybe some day I'll get to experience those legendary French electronics! Although assiomas are supposed to be decent and come from a country known for cars setting themselves on fire.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I got my bike from Upway, it's new but probably lost some adjustment in transit. I started adjusting the limit screws because I couldn't shift into my last gear on either side. After adjusting, I can hit the large cog without issue (and without throwing the chain over the side) but the small cog still skips.

TobinHatesYou posted:

First, yes this could be a high limit issue. You would want to turn the limit screw CCW to back it out. You should be able to see where the end of the bolt butts up against a plate. Back out the bolt until it no longer makes contact, and then advance the bolt until it barely makes contact.

If the problem persists, it could be that the indexing isn't perfect, derailleur hanger alignment, worn components, etc. You could try rotating the barrel adjuster CCW a click or two to see if changing the indexing helps.

Components are new and I didn't see a barrel adjuster anywhere. Should I just take it to the shop?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It’s probably a bent derailleur hanger if you just got it shipped to you

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

PRADA SLUT posted:

Components are new and I didn't see a barrel adjuster anywhere. Should I just take it to the shop?

If there is no barrel adjuster on the mech then there should be one at the shifter instead. It's not super out there to take it into the shop for this stuff so if that's more convenient by all means, but this should really be a <5 minute job you do at home regularly (as cables lose tension as they age etc).

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

It’s probably a bent derailleur hanger if you just got it shipped to you

Yeah or could also be this, which a shop can check for you.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Residency Evil posted:

Look just released a line of PM pedals. Maybe some day I'll get to experience those legendary French electronics! Although assiomas are supposed to be decent and come from a country known for cars setting themselves on fire.
I've been using a pair of assiomas for 5 years and have had zero problems with them.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I saw a post in my Facebook feed from a local bike shop (not my usual one, but one I've been to a couple times) that they were arranging a ride from O'Fallon to Fayetteville (Illinois) to catch the total eclipse. They had a van available to take folks back, or a slightly longer bike ride back to the shop to turn it into a metric century. It was a B-/C+ class ride, whatever in the hell that means. And I'm not going to lie, it was tempting, as long as B-/C+ isn't super fast. But, the location had totality of less than a minute. Which... is nice, but if I just drive to Mt. Vernon, I'll get a few minutes of totality.

So, I'm driving to Mt. Vernon. We've got tickets to an event now, so Gosh willing, the weather will be good for at least a few minutes. The spot we'll be at has about 3:40 of totality.

(Cross-posting to the eclipse thread. If anybody reading this is near the path of totality, go check it out!)

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004
I had a long ride planned for tomorrow but the talk of derailleur hangars here reminded me to have a look at why my gears have been skipping recently. Mine wasn't bent but the thread on one of the mounting holes had completely stripped so it wasn't sitting right. I've ordered a replacement but I think I missed the next day delivery deadline by 2 minutes. The weather isn't looking good enough to take my TT bike and I'm not sure I fancy 100km on my steel framed 1x commuter.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'll check with my PT of course, but is there any way to use my bike while I'm recovering from a bulging disc (L4/L5 area I think)? Maybe on a trainer if I stay in an upright position?

What I've learned from all of this is that having any sort of big toe numbness is insanely depressing, and that prone press-ups are amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I spent a year dealing with a pinched nerve, and yeah it sucked. I just want to ride my bike and be healthy!! A mix of exercise, a new saddle, and a year of time eventually cured me.