Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

The Vast in Faerun of Forgotten Realms was supposed to be this, but Ed Greenwood just can’t leave a blank space on any map without stuffing it full of chapters of lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gatto Grigio posted:

The Vast in Faerun of Forgotten Realms was supposed to be this, but Ed Greenwood just can’t leave a blank space on any map without stuffing it full of chapters of lore.

"Ho ho! So many mysteries waved before you!" - Ed

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I mean, Greyhawk, right? Or if you really want to commit to the bit, Birthright. And Meikyu Kingdom.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I really want to do a REIGN + Birthright campaign some day. Wouldn't be me GMing, though, that's been a dream for a friend of mine even longer (and I'd want to be at the table as a player anyways).

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Godbound’s setting of Arcem has a few Build-Your-Own-Kingdom potential areas, but realistically, the answer to “Where does a Godbound PC build their empire?” is “Anywhere they want to.”

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What are some other Build-A-Kingdom settings besides the Border Princes and River Kingdoms

You may also be interested in Seeds of Wars, which is a system for realm management that is sort of like a "fixed" and streamlined version of the Birthright ruleset. Also it is 40% off right now. https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/302174/Seeds-of-Wars-Strategy-Roleplay

In addition I made a list (thanks to the help of goons here) of Base Building, Domain Management or Organization Building ttrpg books/resources that I've posted on my blog here: https://nightmarethoughts6.blogspot.com/2022/01/base-building-domain-management-or.html

Hope these help.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Helical Nightmares posted:

You may also be interested in Seeds of Wars, which is a system for realm management that is sort of like a "fixed" and streamlined version of the Birthright ruleset. Also it is 40% off right now. https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/302174/Seeds-of-Wars-Strategy-Roleplay

In addition I made a list (thanks to the help of goons here) of Base Building, Domain Management or Organization Building ttrpg books/resources that I've posted on my blog here: https://nightmarethoughts6.blogspot.com/2022/01/base-building-domain-management-or.html

Hope these help.

How many of these have you actually tested? Any highlights?

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

I’ve tested Godbound’s Dominion system in multiple games.

Can confirm that it’s very effective, and also easy for players to use.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Dawgstar posted:

"Ho ho! So many mysteries waved before you!" - Ed

the original "dare you enter my magical realm" guy

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
I wish we could forget those realms!!! gently caress,

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4055673

Fight for your subforum!
Watch your avatar do battle with your posting pals and posting enemies!
Maybe give TG better representation than just like four or five of us!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/NASA/status/1764711462189109439

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lost Universe, you say

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

godddd it's a 5e hack, what did we do to deserve this

NASA. NASA please. I do not want to fight a space orc in a space 10x10 room.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
10x10x10. Gotta think in three dimensions in space. :psylon:

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Remember: the enemy orc is down.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Moonbase Alpha rpg or nothing, NASA. :colbert:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Maybe instead of orcs they're Flat Earthers.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Isn't this just a Spelljammer campaign?

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

Kestral posted:

godddd it's a 5e hack, what did we do to deserve this

quote:

This adventure is designed for a party of 4-7 level 7-10 characters and is easily adaptable for your preferred tabletop role-playing game (TTRPG) system.

Haven’t read the adventure, but I’m not sure how easy this is to adapt to Lancer.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
so it's a 5E hack but they didn't even want to pay for the license

... well, okay, i guess on the merits that is actually slightly better than just a 5E hack

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

so it's a 5E hack but they didn't even want to pay for the license

... well, okay, i guess on the merits that is actually slightly better than just a 5E hack

good on NASA

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
So, a group i'm in started a Twilight 2000-set game (in GURPS) with the Escape from Kalisz scenario except, instead of just dropping us in with "You're on your own. Good luck" we made National Guard military intelligence people and we get to see the destruction of the 5th ID unfold, with opportunities to learn more and prepare for what's to come. We're in the 5th ID HQ, set up in an old chocolate factory outside Kalisz just doing our jobs and squirreling away things and i think it's a drastic improvement. There's so much about getting a game started as fast as possible, but i also think there's something to be said for being willing to take your time, have a preamble, and let the players get used to things before they get dropped into the deep end.

I'll let y'all know how it goes.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Roll to see if you can convert between standard and metric. On a failed skill check restart at level 1.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

The Deleter posted:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Panzeh posted:

Please do!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Kestral posted:

If you don’t fight your space orc you can’t have your pie. How can you have space pie, if you won’t fight your orc?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Panzeh posted:

So, a group i'm in started a Twilight 2000-set game (in GURPS) with the Escape from Kalisz scenario except, instead of just dropping us in with "You're on your own. Good luck" we made National Guard military intelligence people and we get to see the destruction of the 5th ID unfold, with opportunities to learn more and prepare for what's to come. We're in the 5th ID HQ, set up in an old chocolate factory outside Kalisz just doing our jobs and squirreling away things and i think it's a drastic improvement. There's so much about getting a game started as fast as possible, but i also think there's something to be said for being willing to take your time, have a preamble, and let the players get used to things before they get dropped into the deep end.

I have every confidence a bunch of NG intel weenies are going to survive World War III. Got a good feeling about this one.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Runa posted:

Lost Universe, you say

wasnt this basically like, Slayers in Space

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Feels Villeneuve posted:

wasnt this basically like, Slayers in Space

Yes, but not as good.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

The Deleter posted:

Sounds like a job for a Reign hack. Especially the language rules.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Admiralty Flag posted:

Double-posting because this is directly a response to your situation. Have you considered asking him to play one of the starter kits? The rules for those are only something like 12 or 16 pages long. That might be easier than trying to remember a tome each time you play. In SK#1, the first scenario just has squads, the second introduces machine guns, etc., so you get a ramp-up of difficulty too.

It's really just the core stuff that's a lot. I typically pick the scenarios, and I've made my best attempts at picking out mostly infantry-only tournament scenarios (though the game sort of comes more into its own when you mix in some vehicles...) that are short and only require chapters A and B for the vast majority... but chapter A is a monster of a chapter and remembering all the rules for movement and First/Final/Prep/Opportunity/Assault Fire and routing, which goes on for pages is just a lot to remember and make decisions about when I can barely keep my concentration for an hour.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Megazver posted:

How many of these have you actually tested? Any highlights?

Very good question. I've only tested like three; Mutant: Year Zero, Birthright and (WFR 2nd)Renegade Crowns. However I have thoughts on some others that I have read.

Birthright (AD&D); Seeds of Wars— So back in the day I actually played in a campaign of Birthright where each player was the Regent of their own small piece of land. If you are not familiar with Birthright, it is basically AD&D’s attempt to do Game of Thrones before GoT was a thing. I do remember that some of the Regent rules (base building) were useable but the wargame that came with Birthright was heavily dominated by ranged units and that seemed like a major oversight to me. Also, I recall buying the Birthright Book of Magecraft and the rules therein for managing Mage resources in a piece of land were about as exciting as doing real life taxes. Maybe I’m not giving that book a fair shake but I do recall being bored to death by that chapter when it came to designing ley lines between plots of land and figuring out how they worked.

Now Seeds of Wars is the spiritual successor to Birthright, with rules for Bards’ domains, and I own the book but I haven’t gone in depth as to the base management building section to really have an opinion on it yet.

Silent Legions--I haven’t used the build a cult, and then cult vs cult warfare systems but they seem really cool. Cults have three attributes: Muscle, Influence and Sorcery. These attributes vary in value from 1 to 7, 6-7 being a value for a world-wide cult or some cult of similar power. Also, cults have Power, which is a resource they spend, specifically on Assets or Asset upkeep. Assets are like equipment for a cult. For example, Assets can be anything from a Corrupt Cop, or a Fortified Lair to a Sorcerous Atrocity. These specific Assets play a role in the cult vs cult warfare mini game.

Wicked Ones – So Wicked Ones is sadly unavailable though legitimate means anymore because something happened with the developer that I am uncertain about and it was taken down from drivethrurpg. However, I will point it out because even though I haven’t played it seems pretty cool. Based on Blades in the Dark, the Wicked Ones base building system is about designing and cooperatively building a dungeon for your Wicked Ones (dungeon denizens). You can expand the base dungeon and hire minions to populate it with downtime actions or gold. As it stands, you can build one of 5 types of dungeons and each dungeon time has 6 Tier 3 rooms. For example, you can build an Enclave which is dungeon infused with Arcane magic and could start with the Academy or Potion Lab rooms. Management of a dungeon involves dungeon defense say from a party of heroes, and possible calamities or discoveries affecting your dungeon.

Mutant: Year Zero-- I ran Mutant: Year Zero as a hexcrawl in the Zone a few years ago. I think it was only 3-5 sessions, thus the players only got 3-5 base building actions; so, we didn’t get into the base management rules very deeply.

In short your player’s post-apocalyptic base (the Ark) has four attributes: Food Supply, Culture (sort of knowledge), Technology, and Warfare (your base’s defense). Players can increase these attributes by undertaking projects or turning in Artifacts you find in the Zone. One project is taken by the people of the Ark per game session, and there is sort of a tech tree for projects with various bonuses to the Ark’s attributes upon completion of a project. Projects can range from Pigsty to Temples to Cannibalism if things are really on the edge. I liked the rules and our minor use of them well enough. I would have liked to see a more detailed project tech tree, but I just want more granular base management rules in general so I think they were sufficient.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2nd Edition, Renegade Crowns – As I’ve written on the blog, Renegade Crowns is not really a base management game exactly; it is more of a worldbuilding tool. it provides background charts and tables for developing petty kingdoms and a simple system for resolving Internal and External problems for a realm.

I did use the random charts and tables to make my own petty kingdoms area and I documented that here.
https://nightmarethoughts6.blogspot.com/search/label/Renegade%20Crowns

As I recall I wanted expansion of some of the tables, specifically the enemy tables because otherwise you would be running into the same Orcs/Undead/Bandits over and over again.

Ford Cruller
May 9, 2009

Helical Nightmares posted:

Wicked Ones – So Wicked Ones is sadly unavailable though legitimate means anymore because something happened with the developer that I am uncertain about and it was taken down from drivethrurpg. However, I will point it out because even though I haven’t played it seems pretty cool. Based on Blades in the Dark, the Wicked Ones base building system is about designing and cooperatively building a dungeon for your Wicked Ones (dungeon denizens). You can expand the base dungeon and hire minions to populate it with downtime actions or gold. As it stands, you can build one of 5 types of dungeons and each dungeon time has 6 Tier 3 rooms. For example, you can build an Enclave which is dungeon infused with Arcane magic and could start with the Academy or Potion Lab rooms. Management of a dungeon involves dungeon defense say from a party of heroes, and possible calamities or discoveries affecting your dungeon.

The final update on the failed kickstarter for the offset print run releases Wicked Ones into the public domain, and there's a google drive link for the PDFs that Cass Rea, the developer of the Undead Awakening expansion, shared on the Blades discord.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

So I guess the new thing is boardgames into RPGs? When will I be able to play Snakes and Ladders: the RPG ?

https://www.asmodeena.com/en/news/2024/3/6/Arkham-Horror-The-Roleplaying-Game/

Asmodee posted:

Arkham Horror The Roleplaying Game by EDGE Studio
Doom has come to Arkham and you and your friends are all that stands in the way of an ancient horror--so load your tommy gun, grab a book of occult magic, and use your guts, guile, and investigative skills to save the world!

With this tabletop roleplaying game Starter Set, you‘ll have the chance to experience the city of Arkham like never before. Designed for new and seasoned gamers alike, this box set offers an immersive point of entry into TTRPGs, Arkham Horror, and the brand-new Dynamic Pool System (DPS). The mechanics of DPS are easy to learn but contain strategic depths that are sure to entertain even expert TTRPG players! This box is absolutely brimming with a treasure trove of physical components (poster maps, dice, NPC cards, puzzles, tokens, handouts…) that add to the keystone design focuses of the adventure-- narrative immersion and thrilling story moments! Arkham Horror The Roleplaying Game Starter Set – Hungering Abyss will launch worldwide during Gen Con 2024 (see the complete list of countries below) and will be demoed there for the first time at the Arkham Horror booth. In addition, all hobby stores that are part of the Hobby Next Program will offer a free additional set of dice when buying the Starter Set. Because we never have enough dice when playing a TTRPG!

Key Features
This box is a full and complete experience that requires no prior knowledge of tabletop RPGs, board games, or Arkham Horror to play. A brand-new intuitive rule set: the Dynamic Pool System. An easy
to-learn but strategically deep system based only on 6-sided dice for maximum accessibility. A ton of value and “bang-for-your-buck’’ with a lot of physical components:
1 Game Master’s Reference Board
1 Adventure Booklet (48 pages)
5 Character Portfolios
24 Six-Sided Dice (12 black and 12 green dice)
3 Double-Sided Poster Maps
16 Non-Playable Character Profile Cards
21 Item and Spell Cards
3 Punchboards (puzzles and tokens)
Several Handouts (evidence pieces: journal, letters, etc.)

Number of Players
: 2-6 (including the Game Master).
Play Time: The adventure is divided into 10 scenes of 1+ hours each.
MSRP: 34.99 USD
Release Date: August 2, 2024 in the USA, Canada, The United Kingdom, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Sweden, and some other European countries through ADC Black Fire network.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

canepazzo posted:

So I guess the new thing is boardgames into RPGs? When will I be able to play Snakes and Ladders: the RPG ?

That's obviously a Lasers and Feelings hack.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
That’s as close to an official confirmation that Genesys is dead as we’re going to get, yeah?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

canepazzo posted:

https://www.asmodeena.com/en/news/2024/3/6/Arkham-Horror-The-Roleplaying-Game/

No the new thing is board game: the board game

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

cant wait for the tie-in novels, i really feel like the cthulu mythos setting is a good match for that medium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

sebmojo posted:

No the new thing is board game: the board game

this is like that comic about how WWII is going to be remembered in the year 3000 as people jousting with atomic weapons