Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
every discord gets to have its own lowtax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

from tvtropes lol

TDI taking half of his backstory from final fantasy 7 and the other half from cabella's dangerous hunts 2013

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
just got back from visiting darkid at the hospice, he had a giant bowl of kool-aid out for all the visitors. anyways, gonna lay down, feeling a little woozy

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Pigbuster posted:

losing my mind

I was one of the people who was sad about Dark Id's cancer diagnosis... a year ago. I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet - he announced on Twitter in ~March 2023 that he was dying and wouldn't make it past September. I was bummed, and there wasn't a peep from him after that so I believed he was understandably spending his last months away from the internet. But apparently he kept talking in his Discord?? And today he decided to just... do a redo on his death diagnosis announcement??? where was he going with this!!
It's not unheard of for terminal illness dates like this to be flexible - new treatments, unexpected remissions, et cetera. The body is way less predictable than you'd hope and nothing's impossible. It's not like the doctor gives you an exact watch synced up to the moment your organs start failing, it's purely speculation based on past people they've treated with similar prognoses.

That said I am genuinely curious what his game plan was after saying "after today, specifically, I am dead forever, please don't look at my Xbox, that's just my friend". Were you going to build another identity elsewhere? Were you trying to get away from the lies before they collapsed?

Also agreed re: everyone saying it is just straight up mental illness. After a certain point it's probably a compulsion more than anything. He may even be aware on some level how much it's loving up his life. It's hard to know without being inside his skull. poo poo is funny, yeah, but it also starts to get really depressing.

Kurtofan posted:

watch out people, nefarious forces are trying to mislead us

I'm not going to lie, this poo poo pisses me off. I'm lucky enough to consider Slowbeef a friend and he is sincerely just a really loving standup guy. He's a really kind, honest person, a loving father, and you can just tell from any level of interaction with him that he's the kind of person who tries to do right by people. He has a lot of integrity.

To reduce this down to some dipshit feud, like Slowbeef is having agents collect screenshots to fuel petty drama, all because you can't accept the guy you like wasn't being truthful about his secret agent power fantasies, is just really infuriating.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

We cross now, live, to our discord correspondent slutgod of butt butt

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

half the edits on his tvtropes page are by the same two people

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yes, the same... two... people....

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Endorph posted:

user TheDarkId and TheDarkIdRealWife

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Endorph posted:

getting in touch with the tvtropes admin to confirm its actually one person and two accounts

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Like, Slowbeef is the man Dark Id claimed to be, as far as being a cool guy with a funny wife who loves his children very much, just replace "PMC" with "guy working on getting all the achievements for Kingdom Hearts"

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

You're all gonna feel really silly when the government has to find dark id's shack in the woods for one last job and he's chopping wood despite the dozens of tumors bulging out of his skin

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Barrett getting back from blowing up reactor 1 and telling strangers online that tifa is his wife

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

You know, I know that shitposty Discord names are just the house style these days, but I still wonder how a grown-rear end adult person decides to call themselves "Slut God of buttbutt, Milwaukee"

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Tiny Myers posted:

Like, Slowbeef is the man Dark Id claimed to be, as far as being a cool guy with a funny wife who loves his children very much, just replace "PMC" with "guy working on getting all the achievements for Kingdom Hearts"

slowbeef was the man who introduced me to the glories of Deadly Poisonous Zanzibar Hamsters and because of this I trust him by default

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Blarghalt posted:

You're all gonna feel really silly when the government has to find dark id's shack in the woods for one last job and he's chopping wood despite the dozens of tumors bulging out of his skin

he comes back for one last saga and it's all about him teaching his son to take his place as Let's Play superstar

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Antivehicular posted:

You know, I know that shitposty Discord names are just the house style these days, but I still wonder how a grown-rear end adult person decides to call themselves "Slut God of buttbutt, Milwaukee"
maybe they lost their given name on the battlefield

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

the amount of cancer TDI must have by this point would mean he looks like one of those wasteland goons pre-explosion in fist of the north star

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

lmfao again how did I miss this bit? Here's what's loving with me now. Did he already have the crayons or did he go out and buy some just for that post?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

TDI taking half of his backstory from final fantasy 7 and the other half from cabella's dangerous hunts 2013

Cabella's dangerous hunts 2013 is way more interesting than any cabella game has the right to be lmao

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Funky See Funky Do posted:

lmfao again how did I miss this bit? Here's what's loving with me now. Did he already have the crayons or did he go out and buy some just for that post?

Considering this:

they're almost certainly digitally made

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

also one of the funnest parts about this is being reminded of Old Times LP Posters. Deceased Crab and raocow are still uploading poo poo daily, and imo, that owns :patriot:
i will not watch any of their videos because i'm in my 30s now, but still.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Studio posted:

also one of the funnest parts about this is being reminded of Old Times LP Posters. Deceased Crab and raocow are still uploading poo poo daily, and imo, that owns :patriot:
i will not watch any of their videos because i'm in my 30s now, but still.

deceased crab's mic quality is still exactly the same which is ftw

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Pigbuster posted:

Considering this:

they're almost certainly digitally made

It's not even a real fake drawing! :pusheen:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
ok i don't want to post too much more, just the discords mod posted this to tell people to shut the gently caress up about doubts about tdi's demise

and

There's no way thats not a sockpuppet right

it's the same "badass" posting style and everything

it seems to have worked since people are talking about soups and poo poo now

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
cock's shotgun

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Kurtofan posted:

ok i don't want to post too much more, just the discords mod posted this to tell people to shut the gently caress up about doubts about tdi's demise

and

Well yeah. They've got a shotgun with one less shell in it pointed at them.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It's not scanned, he used a crayon brush in an art package and then added a fake paper layer that he reused over and over so each image has the same splotch in the bottom right corner, as identified by detective Stux

If you zoom in on the black lines used to draw some of the faces you can see they're not pen or pencil lines

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Kurtofan posted:

and

:worship:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Kurtofan posted:

and

it's somewhere on the last few pages apparently one of the discord mods there (hakki?) was just id on a different account so there's certainly a chance it's also him

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That’s right. Shop smart, shop s-mart

You got that??

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

and

Dead Idernet Theory.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
there's also no way that story about him being a great help isn't also some bullshit

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

flatluigi posted:

it's somewhere on the last few pages apparently one of the discord mods there (hakki?) was just id on a different account so there's certainly a chance it's also him

its absolutely him lmfao

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Endorph posted:

zorak has been mocking thedarkid now that he's dying

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
my best friend id, the greatest man i have ever known who saved me from a thousand russians

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Kurtofan posted:

there's also no way that story about him being a great help isn't also some bullshit

It almost certainly just means they read his LP threads when they were feeling sad

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

It's the hippo that he shot with a grenade launcher, thus earning its undying respect and brotherhood

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I think wandering into the territory of "is (random person in his discord) The Dark Id?" is going a little too far, everybody.

People can be very mentally ill and still contribute good things to society. For instance, I was in here posting before about how b*ba p**rl (gently caress your narcissistic namesearching bullshit, donate your money and throw your router in the garbage) helped me in a dark time by speaking to me about deeply personal experiences related to being a mentally ill artist. Sincerely helpful conversations and sincere support. Even knowing her on the periphery and only speaking to her across social media, I was still hosed up for a good bit, set me back a whole bunch on trust issues.

If I'd known her for several years and spoken to her closely/been in her discord every day or some poo poo like that, I can see how I might've been initially hesitant to trust someone's claims on the internet that are extremely grave accusations to make. It is not that farfetched that he has done good things for people, people who would be hesitant to believe years of support and parasocial or not-so-parasocial bonding, perhaps dozens of hours spent consuming content/participating in streams/etc, were predicated on an extremely fake persona. That doesn't mean he isn't still a hosed up person who lied for decades about some extremely heinous poo poo.

People are not black and white cartoons, they are capable of helping others and still being horrific liars, and therein lies the danger.

Yes the cock's shotgun is stupid as poo poo but look at the guy, not hard to imagine the kind of audience he'd maintain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Tiny Myers posted:

Yes the cock's shotgun is stupid as poo poo but look at the guy, not hard to imagine the kind of audience he'd maintain.

Not the least bit hard. I just picture a person walking into a wall over and over again.