Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Good ol' Square, making their canon novels exclusive to Motorola pagers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

fezball posted:

I managed all the other minigames I've encountered so far well enough, but the half-press trigger on this one is absolute bullshit - I can land that maybe 30% of the time, no way I'm ever doing it 5+ times in one go like the last stage wants me to :argh:

This really should have a difficulty setting for minigames, as is a lot of them are way overtuned.

jules is the rock upon which lesser men are broken

took me an embarrassing number of retries to figure out that half press prompt though

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Skeezy posted:

Oh poo poo how could I forget the novella.

Well don't forget the last one they put out since it's where they first start talking about the Republic of Junon and explains how 7th Heaven Avalanche got started and Aerith's childhood and all kinds of shiz

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"There's no such thing as half a press" - TJ "Henry" Yoshi

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

jules is the rock upon which lesser men are broken

took me an embarrassing number of retries to figure out that half press prompt though

I'm not even sure that there's anything to really figure out there, it just seems to require a super precise input that my shaky old man hands are no longer capable of.

Doesn't help that you get no feedback at all on what you did wrong (too soft/too hard/released pressure while holding?), especially if you disable adaptive triggers which seems kind of mandatory to go fast enough.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
I just did jules with 0 mistakes and still lost, jesus why?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

D.Fuzzbot posted:

I just did jules with 0 mistakes and still lost, jesus why?

you need to go at the fastest possible pace as well. he always finishes with around 50 crunches total

it was the same in Remake but the triggers are way harder for me to hit that fast, I had to step away for a while because I could feel an old RSI acting up

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What do the 3 objectives for the variant fights actually affect? Chadley bucks, EXP, map completion?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think it's just Party EXP? You get completion and Chadmoney just for beating it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Are there any quests where you get to fight Chadley? Maybe Square saves that for part 3.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Are there any quests where you get to fight Chadley? Maybe Square saves that for part 3.

There's a non-zero chance that the biological components of Chadley are some Sephiroth 2.0 poo poo, this is Hojo we're talking about. Now add onto that whatever the gently caress cybernetics he has, which we know for a fact include the ability to read minds.

e: really the fact he can just casually read Cloud's internal monologue should have freaked him out WAY more than it did

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Skeezy posted:

I love the game but I think they added a bazillion minigames to pad the game out because it has to be at minimum 40 hours to be worth it as a JRPG.

It’s fine but it’s the same issue I had with Remake and I still loved that game.

I think I prefer the mini games to the random battle padding in the original JRPGs.

You'd probably be able to finish each of the psx Final Fantasies in just a few hours if you only had to mainly do the fights along the critical path (with adjusted leveling).

Edit: I also like to think that doing all of the side stuff is in canon and some low level trolling of Sephiroth who clearly wants Cloud to go somewhere.

Kin fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 4, 2024

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Harrow posted:

No, she's from a novella called Final Fantasy VII The Kids Are Alright: A Turks Side Story. Leslie, the gray-haired guy who helped out in Wall Market in Remake, is also from that novella.

Haha that's a good parody name for a novel....

[Padme face]

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Asterite34 posted:

There's a non-zero chance that the biological components of Chadley are some Sephiroth 2.0 poo poo, this is Hojo we're talking about. Now add onto that whatever the gently caress cybernetics he has, which we know for a fact include the ability to read minds.

e: really the fact he can just casually read Cloud's internal monologue should have freaked him out WAY more than it did

Looking forward to creating and destroying Bizarro Chadley in part 3.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
Finally beat Fort Condor on dynamic difficulty after giving it a break for a bit.

The only way I found it possible to kill the captain in time was by rushing forward as fast as possible and planting trebuchets in front of him. I would then spam clerics and base level units around the trebuchets and place my heroes down whenever they started to get overwhelmed. Even then, despite having trebuchets blasting the captain for almost a minute I barely killed him with under ten seconds left. I have no idea how anyone could kill him in time without the trebuchets.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Trebuchets were my mvp for that fight too, you can also plant them around the two chokepoints and they'll take out the enemy spawners handily before your units can get close.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Thundarr posted:

Looking forward to creating and destroying Bizarro Chadley in part 3.

I mean, we're probably not gonna have to deal with an evil super-Chadley? He seems more well-balanced that Sephiroth ever was (if still a deeply weird little fella), probably because he knew from the start that he was an engineered lab experiment rather than finding it out suddenly at like age 40 and having a total breakdown over it. Of course, this also made him want to get out from under Shinra's thumb way earlier than Sephiroth did, but at least he didn't torch a village over it.

Now the fact that he's already making more sapient AIs that he can only barely control is a bit... concerning in the long term, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Chapter 10? spoilers:
The entire time I've been playing, I've been waiting for a rugpull where poo poo very explicitly deviates from the original, and when Tifa fell into the reactor, for a solid minute I was prepared for that to be it for her

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

This is a very goofy game. This makes me very happy, I couldn't have asked for more.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Aramis posted:

This is a very goofy game. This makes me very happy, I couldn't have asked for more.

Yeah! Game is at its best when its being goofy as gently caress.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Kin posted:

Welp just learned the hard way that the checkpoints are garbage in the open world.

I'm in the junon area, did all of the first activities and then headed over to start the second ones.

I get to the enemy Intel one and don't manage to get all 3 actions in the first go.

So I restart the fight and try again.

Half way through, one of the enemies does the move in supposed to stop so I hit pause and notice a retry battle and retry from checkpoint option.

I figure the checkpoint option might be mid battle after I killed the first of the two enemies but nope, the checkpoint is actually after you exit the mythril cave.

So essentially wiping out all of my loving Junon world map progress.

This kind of happened to me in the grasslands. Though as soon I saw I lost 40 minutes progress I closed the game down, choose continue, and it loaded a more recent auto save I guess? Really unsure how the save system works.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
The auto saves are fine, checkpoints make zero sense

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

I mean, we're probably not gonna have to deal with an evil super-Chadley? He seems more well-balanced that Sephiroth ever was (if still a deeply weird little fella), probably because he knew from the start that he was an engineered lab experiment rather than finding it out suddenly at like age 40 and having a total breakdown over it. Of course, this also made him want to get out from under Shinra's thumb way earlier than Sephiroth did, but at least he didn't torch a village over it.

Now the fact that he's already making more sapient AIs that he can only barely control is a bit... concerning in the long term, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Sephiroth is actually only 25, 4 years older then Cloud. He started SOLDERing at 13, which is the same age Cloud joined up with Shinra at and he confirms it's nothing unusual.

There is a rising and concerning chance that a lot of those Shrina grunts you mow down aren't actually old enough to have a learners permit.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I have no idea how or why, but that solo ch.8 cactuar fight steam rolled me five times in a row until I knocked it down to easy and somehow beat it on my first try. Wish I could summon those guys :allears:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Harrow posted:

No, she's from a novella called Final Fantasy VII The Kids Are Alright: A Turks Side Story. Leslie, the gray-haired guy who helped out in Wall Market in Remake, is also from that novella.

Boy Kylie is a terrible example if they’re talking about kids that are alright.

Caidin posted:

There is a rising and concerning chance that a lot of those Shrina grunts you mow down aren't actually old enough to have a learners permit.

Why do you think Roche is so obsessed with his motorcycle?

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

I can’t believe how lovely and terrible Fort Condor is in this!

Everything else about the game is great though

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

The auto saves are fine, checkpoints make zero sense

Sigh, so there's manual saves, auto saves and checkpoints.

Though loading the last checkpoint doesn't load the last auto save.

Dumb.

Anyway, can you max out the folio thing for each character (I.e. select all orbs) or do you ultimately have to tweak your configuration even at the end of the game?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
What am I supposed to do with the draconite ore deposits? It won't let me interact with them.
Edit: Complaining on the internet worked

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Kin posted:

Anyway, can you max out the folio thing for each character (I.e. select all orbs) or do you ultimately have to tweak your configuration even at the end of the game?

I think it's possible, but like Remake only including Hard Mode adding more SP books to acquire postgame. Up through the credits you'll be picking and choosing.

Motto fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 4, 2024

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Took me an absolutely embarrassing amount of time to realize why certain spells on certain characters were the "alpha" variants

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Kin posted:

Sigh, so there's manual saves, auto saves and checkpoints.

Though loading the last checkpoint doesn't load the last auto save.

Dumb.

Yeah I’m only on folio level 4 but it seems like the mechanic is just a Number Go Up thing (with an occasional new skill) and doesn’t seem to offer any real choice or customization in the long run. Maybe at the higher folio levels there’s more interesting things to do with the mechanic.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The Folio feels bad because your probably gonna beeline the synergy skills and and the zero MP abilities and then it's like... here's 3 levels and 2 skill books worth of SP spent on +3% basic attack damage and Tifa's unbridled strength stacks last even longer if you were somehow timing them out.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Lmao why is the Colosseum in Golden Saucer such an absurd difficulty jump over any fight up till now? I can't even beat the first round of the first fight because all the enemies just insta-gib me as soon as the fight starts.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Frankston posted:

Lmao why is the Colosseum in Golden Saucer such an absurd difficulty jump over any fight up till now? I can't even beat the first round of the first fight because all the enemies just insta-gib me as soon as the fight starts.

Yeah that did feel mistuned. I came back like two zones later and it was fine (it's also more reasonable when you can choose two party members good at immediately blowing up the flying guys)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Aphrodite posted:

What do the 3 objectives for the variant fights actually affect? Chadley bucks, EXP, map completion?

You get the Chadley points and map completion plus 5 Party EXP just for completing it and a bonus 5 Party EXP for completing all three objectives.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
With her singing every time I get on a chocobo, I am positive that this game wants to erase any good feelings I have towards Yuffie

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You get the Chadley points and map completion plus 5 Party EXP just for completing it and a bonus 5 Party EXP for completing all three objectives.

Okay then if I ever need that 5 xp I'll come back, because stopping the dumb things from flying is annoying.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

They really leaned in on yuffie being an obnoxious teenager, but I feel like her saving grace is she is pretty strong+fun to play as

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Aphrodite posted:

Okay then if I ever need that 5 xp I'll come back, because stopping the dumb things from flying is annoying.

I struggled with that one in the demo but I think Aerith’s charge attack works well, also hitting them with magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh my god, the Tonberry roomba-slash-humidifier in Chapter

E: HOLY poo poo IT STABS YOU WHEN YOU GET CLOSE THIS RULES