Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will FFVIIRemake part 3 be called?
This poll is closed.
Return 9 9.38%
Revolutions 7 7.29%
Rescind 1 1.04%
Rental property 23 23.96%
Restoration 3 3.13%
Rebar 14 14.58%
Renegade 3 3.13%
Red XIII's party hour 36 37.50%
Total: 96 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

whenever you think about how your school computers had simcity or commander keen or liero, just think that a school employee deliberately put it there

a very cool school employee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I only remember being able to play those typing games in computer class, like Mario Teaches Typing. And also picking a username in 3rd grade that I'd end up using pretty much the rest of my life lol

Most actual computer stuff I learned from my older brother and uncle, who would teach me things like how to play DOOM from a floppy using MS DOS commands... which I don't remember at all how to do of course.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The only ones I remember deliberately put there by the school are Number Munchers and The Oregon Trail.

That said, for some mysterious reason, ZSNES wound up on the newer computers in junior high. It was a real puzzler but nobody complained too hard.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

When the school got dialup I noticed they used the same style of modem I had at home, so I found the config file and copied it to a disk (Jesus Christ I'm old), took it home and tried it and... I connected to the Internet. :stare:

I was too much of a coward to stick with using it, I assumed the ISP at least would be tracking the location/number of where logins were happening from.

Edit: I also often wonder if it actually did connect, since I had assumed that your login details would be tried to your phone and you couldn't just do that, but I'd backed up and deleted all my home config files so I can only assume it did. Wild loving times, I also once got my phone locked open because it turns out the BBS I was dialing into had hooked into some poor dude's landline and he was getting so many phonecalls that he called the police and they made the phone company prevent the line from being disconnected so they could figure out who was calling. I chatted to the dude and explained I was just calling a BBS, then explained what a BBS was because he had no idea (I barely did, it's where I went to download doom wads!), and he was very nice and told me not to worry about it because clearly I hadn't been calling him maliciously.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 4, 2024

Lazy Robot
Jan 18, 2001

yospos

Captain Invictus posted:

someone posted this image in discord:

and I made a terrible(?) decision

IT HAS ARRIVED

BEHOLD ITS GLORY

$310 shipped, only used once, still has the box, only thing missing is the gigantic vertical tank operations manual. so if someone has one of those laying around that's in good condition, let me know.

it's kind of wild that it's still so cheap even today for a basically-new-in-box copy, that's only about a hundred bucks more than it retailed for.

Oh, you mean this guy?

Sadly, I'm not looking to sell it. Just taunting you, I guess.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lazy Robot posted:

Oh, you mean this guy?

Sadly, I'm not looking to sell it. Just taunting you, I guess.
may your eject button cover be ever stuck.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

In elementary school, we had a computer bus that would come around once a month and we would mess around with BASIC and also I now remember that we would occasionally get time with Maniac Mansion but the teacher had printed out step by step instructions on how to play, like literally "pick this character, type this command, do this action" and it was very confusing as an elementary school aged child.

That game was even confusing when I discovered it in middle school on a random relative's old computer. I got further than the family whose game it was, and I barely got inside before finding some weird way to die and lose lol. I think the Homestar Runner adventure games are the only old schoolish ones I've ever seen the good ending to.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Songbearer posted:

I used to make my character wear green/brown that blended in with the map, go prone next to stones and stuff then camp with the 50cal instantly killing people

I made my friends exceptionally mad

Lol I stopped actually playing it the day I found out you could directly edit the art files and then distribute them easily to the other kids playing. I would just edit it to whatever dumb poo poo made us laugh and take requests and edit them in MS Paint or whatever we had. There was another kid who liked editing em too but he liked playing more and was way better at Soldat.

Your clever trick wouldn't have worked so well with the abominations distributed in that classroom.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, Maniac Mansion was before Lucasarts was like "hey maybe we should make our adventure games actually good"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
There's some charm to the directness of having a list of verbs and using them in conjunction with stuff in game, it's seems really intuitive at a glance.

Then you're playing and it's suddenly all "I don't know how to get key" and what the hell do you mean it's right there just get it. Okay fine pick up key then, "pick up what" my rear end don't be like this I wanna unlock the lock the key goes to that is right there please I smashed the drat pumpkin riddle.

check this out

https://www.booooooom.com/2024/02/28/american-games-by-artist-john-brosio/

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Mar 4, 2024

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Khanstant posted:

There's some charm to the directness of having a list of verbs and using them in conjunction with stuff in game, it's seems really intuitive at a glance.

Then you're playing and it's suddenly all "I don't know how to get key" and what the hell do you mean it's right there just get it. Okay fine pick up key then, "pick up what" my rear end don't be like this I wanna unlock the lock the key goes to that is right there please I smashed the drat pumpkin riddle.

check this out

https://www.booooooom.com/2024/02/28/american-games-by-artist-john-brosio/

really cool art, thanks for sharing
I sent it to a bunch of friends too

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Helldivers 2 rules

Going to try and get some mates in on this.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
What's the Helldivers 2 randoms experience like at the moment? I'll likely never play the game mic'd up with anyone since my pals aren't interested in the game, so I'm just keen to know what the median experience with pubbies is like. Probably a silly question but I'm so used to toxicity and sweating and griefing being a constant for all multiplayer titles, even the PvE ones.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1764660129855664581?t=ON_QsUOHyttfGH4GNxFAbQ&s=19

700 bucks for the SpongeBox bundled with a high-mid Smash clone

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Helldivers 2 rules

That's right.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

This game was like $100 at launch

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

FauxLeather posted:

What's the Helldivers 2 randoms experience like at the moment? I'll likely never play the game mic'd up with anyone since my pals aren't interested in the game, so I'm just keen to know what the median experience with pubbies is like. Probably a silly question but I'm so used to toxicity and sweating and griefing being a constant for all multiplayer titles, even the PvE ones.

I haven’t had any issues with pubs, plenty of accidental friendly fire but that’s just helldivers, never seen any intentional toxicity. most matches have minimal communication besides map pings and hugging at extraction. some people in the thread have reported cases of tryhards demanding a meta, intentional teamkilling, kicking at extract, etc so your mileage may vary.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I've had mostly chill experiences with random folks. The thing that comes up more than tryhard people trying to prevent anyone from having fun is PS5 players who don't realize their controller mic is open and broadcasting every sound their TV and controller makes. It's especially bad when they're using an MG and you get the clackclacks of the controller vibrating.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Jolo posted:

I've had mostly chill experiences with random folks. The thing that comes up more than tryhard people trying to prevent anyone from having fun is PS5 players who don't realize their controller mic is open and broadcasting every sound their TV and controller makes. It's especially bad when they're using an MG and you get the clackclacks of the controller vibrating.

Half the reason I stopped using lasers is because it felt like my controller was going to vibrate apart whenever I pressed the trigger.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Extremely hosed up that vibration is always turned on by default

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://store.epicgames.com/en-US/p/aerial-knights-never-yield is free this week

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 4, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
There's an age warning. Is this safe to play if you're in your 30s?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It is not safe to play at any age

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Electric Phantasm posted:

It is not safe to play at any age

Sorry, I had no idea. I've never played it and was going off the store description and a trailer I watched a while ago

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

i think that was a joke

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So like, I need the soundtrack of Pacific Drive???

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Anti-Climatic, but not at all surprising
https://twitter.com/OatmealDome/status/1764704580724576465

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I said come in! posted:

So like, I need the soundtrack of Pacific Drive???

I need about half the soundtrack to pacific drive, some of it is starting to get real old around the 20-hour mark

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

We don't know what the final terms for Yuzu to abide are, but I could see them being allowed to continue but not run a patreon, which would probably be the best case scenario

But Yuzu is open source, and no doubt multiple people have archived the source code, so it'll never truly go away

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 4, 2024

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jay Rust posted:

i think that was a joke

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

And Nintendo's just going to back off? What's the catch for Yuzu?

Like Nintendo literally turned a dude into a slave for life over piracy, so $2.4 Milly seems a drop in the bucket as opposed to setting Another Example To Not Pirate Our poo poo.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Infinitum posted:

Like Nintendo literally turned a dude into a slave for life over piracy, so $2.4 Milly seems a drop in the bucket as opposed to setting Another Example To Not Pirate Our poo poo.

Nintendo will finally hire this man

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Like I said, there are terms but they haven't been made public yet.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
In addition to the fine, everyone involved will be executed.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

it's the cost of nintendocracy. And i will happily pay it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also the dude who became a wage slave was distributing roms, which is a bit more provably illegal in court than developing an emulator, which has the Bleem precedent working for it

For all we know, Yuzu might have voluntarily offered to pay damages to stay out of court

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They were scared they'd end up in my courtroom where I'd rule Nintendo has to hire Yuzu devs to develop the official Nintendo PC store.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Feels Villeneuve posted:

In addition to the fine, everyone involved will be executed.

Settled to a permanent end

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Infinitum posted:

Supposedly that any development on the emulator must stop, source code cannot be distributed any more and Nintendo takes control of their website. Presumably any future fork that uses Yuzu source code will also end up in the laser sights, so functionally Yuzu is dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Holy poo poo, there’s a rumored Gravity Rush 2 remaster in the works. I never imagined Sony would bother with it after the abysmal sales of the stuff like Sackboy on PC. It’s not a fantastic game, but it’s a world I loved just chilling in. That and diving off skyscrapers.

Apparently the online scavenger hunts are gone, which is a pity, but whatever I didn’t think we’d be getting anything.