Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I'm obviously not an incredulous dullard making a shocked Pikachu face at this cdc open biden news, but it really is just a shaking my head and muttering Jesus christ under my breath kind of deal. There was no reason for this, companies stopped caring about any public health recommendations literally years ago. Nobody cares what the cdc says and there was no risk of simply leaving a bare minimum effort 'recommendation' to not immediately expose your workplace with your plague and maybe take a day or two off. Actively going out of your way as the public health arm of the government to incite dangerous and harmful advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

sonatinas posted:

good thing a lot of us got those mmr boosters a few years ago right?

Yup

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

People in the US were still getting covid questionaires right up until recently which asked if they'd traveled overseas in the 2 weeks prior, even though the covid rate in the US has been higher than most of the rest of the world

Every completely maskless and stale air medical provider I’ve interacted with for the past two years has asked me at check in if I’ve been in contact with anyone infected with COVID 19 recently. Many of them ask me if I’ve traveled out of the state or country.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

sonatinas posted:

I'm definitely getting one now

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Asproigerosis posted:

I'm obviously not an incredulous dullard making a shocked Pikachu face at this cdc open biden news, but it really is just a shaking my head and muttering Jesus christ under my breath kind of deal. There was no reason for this, companies stopped caring about any public health recommendations literally years ago. Nobody cares what the cdc says and there was no risk of simply leaving a bare minimum effort 'recommendation' to not immediately expose your workplace with your plague and maybe take a day or two off. Actively going out of your way as the public health arm of the government to incite dangerous and harmful advice.

Naw a lot of places default to ‘Whatever the CDC recommends’ and even if someone doesn’t personally care about COVID they’ll ussually humor you to follow CDC guidance without a fuss. So I think think that opinions like this let the CDC off the hook for how impactful and malicious this change is. They are actively causing harm by making it all but impossible for anyone to take actions to protect themselves against COVID unless they are lucky enough to be completely surrounded by a community that happens to also care about COVID.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

:blessed:

e: article

quote:

However, public health officials cautioned that Covid isn’t the same as the flu or other respiratory viruses. “Let’s be clear. Covid-19 is not the flu,” said Jackson at the CDC. “It still causes more serious illness and leads to more lasting effects,” he said.

:hmmrona:

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

i keep myself safe with appropriate measures, but my parents' habits of large indoor public gatherings has finally come home to roost and elderly grandma is now testing positive for covid. tried everything to convince them (since they direct her medical treatment) about test2treat options but they're still going to wait a day or more for "an appointment" and "i'm not a doctor". i tried but i can only try so much. Not really asking for help, just... I know people here understand, 'cause nobody physically around me does.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

This is what Steve Bannon referred to as “flooding the zone with poo poo”, just blast out so much contradictory and confusing garbage that people give up.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
The point of the narrative in the headline. Nobody is going to bother reading far enough to encounter the contradictory quote.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Nothus posted:

The point of the narrative in the headline. Nobody is going to bother reading far enough to encounter the contradictory quote.

even if they did folks are not trained to understand contradictions

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Nothus posted:

This is 90% of all news

Apr 7, 2003

also you build lasting immunity to the flu and it's rare to get it more than once a decade. You can get Covid every couple of months. Also people love to call anything they've got "the flu" so that minimizes it lmao

They won in every way it is possible to win and they insist on making things worse anyway

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I got a notification from RS Hughes, a place on long island where i buy my 3M masks, that the price is going up 3% on April 1st. i assume that will be reflected at other retailers as well

covid thread: news you can use

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

sonatinas posted:

What's the gatekeeping like in regards to MMR boosters?

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

kerrhyphen posted:

Oh weird! I guess just random poo poo luck I guess? Well, still many thanks for sharing the link, I might try again after I find out how much of my money I can get back from the store.

Hmmm now I'm feeling conflicted... Is this just incompetent or unaccountable government machinery at work? Or yet more deliberate withholding of the fabled tools... Who can say?

Let us know once you find out, I ordered 50 of them from that link also and it still shows as order confirmed/not shipped yet.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Rochallor posted:

I'm definitely getting one now

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

roffels posted:

have a sane doctor

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

to be clear, MMR ineffectiveness is not exactly a new concept? I don't know how many times something like that has been posted before, I've become way less active in this thread because I (1) wear a respirator and (2) have hardened such a strong wall of contempt for my fellow anonymous chuddy/centrist unthinking American that I basically don't care for them anymore

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Potato Salad posted:

to be clear, MMR ineffectiveness is not exactly a new concept? I don't know how many times something like that has been posted before, I've become way less active in this thread because I (1) wear a respirator and (2) have hardened such a strong wall of contempt for my fellow anonymous chuddy/centrist unthinking American that I basically don't care for them anymore

63% is way, way worse than the theoretical 10% I've always heard.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

They won in every way it is possible to win and they insist on making things worse anyway
Yeah they will still find things to complain about, 100% guaranteed.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Potato Salad posted:

have a sane doctor

I was just going to go to a Walgreens...

I don't even have a PCP

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

roffels posted:

claim you're starting a new job in a childcare setting. those are more or less the magic words. like just "oh i'm starting some teaching at a pre-school" or whatever.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

roffels posted:

I was just going to go to a Walgreens...

I don't even have a PCP

Before trying Walgreens, make sure you don't live in a US state where getting the MMR vaccine at a pharmacy requires a doctor's prescription (there's a handful of states with that requirement, easy google search). If you're in one of those states, you'll either need to get a prescription or instead get the shot from your local health department. Either way, ask whoever's giving you the MMR shot to make sure it's not expired. I found out both of those situations are possible when I was trying to get one last month, so I'll be trying my local health department next (I don't "think" those have any prescription requirements for MMR).

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

cool i dont want the flu so ill continue to avoid that too gently caress you wsj

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Zugzwang posted:

Yeah they will still find things to complain about, 100% guaranteed.

authoritarians can't say yes

and these motherfuckers absolutely will continue to wield the state as a cudgel against accepting culpability for hurting the the rest of the public, whether it's our blood-drained workforce being exploited with zero consequences, climate change, or Open Biden

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

roffels posted:

like 3 years ago I just made an appt at target and had no issues . I think it’s easier for adults because our last mmr was probably as a kid

you can also say a relative had a baby since it’s recommended for family members who see babies to have updated shots. lol I know

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

re: the confiscated Covid tests, I checked an internet pharmacy I used to use and they have this big notice on their front page now

ATTENTION: US CUSTOMERS
Please be advised that there are currently significant Customs Processing Delays at JFK, NY and Newark, NJ ports of entry.

Please understand that these delays are outside our control—We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience encountered. Please consider ordering in advance to allow for longer than usual delays.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Yeah that tracks. Instead of thinking that Big Guv'm is seizing your tests because of nefarious reasons, it's more likely Nobody Wants To Work Anymore (because they're too sick to come in)

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://twitter.com/IsraelRadar_com/status/1764698245572276513

C'mon Covid, you got one shot at this to redeem yourself for everything youve done🙏

KlavierVogel
Feb 27, 2004

[] an old crow spoke to me [] busted leg limped down the street [] said we're both tied to our own trees [] cut me loose, cut me loose []

roffels posted:

I just got the first in the two-shot MMR booster series last week from Walgreens and all I had to do was schedule an appointment on their website - no one asked me why I wanted one, or asked anything really aside from whether I'd had an MMR shot before. It was easier than getting a covid shot tbh. I live in NY for the record.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

also you build lasting immunity to the flu and it's rare to get it more than once a decade. You can get Covid every couple of months. Also people love to call anything they've got "the flu" so that minimizes it lmao

It's totally hosed up that over here we're just like "It's only the flu. It's nothing." and in Asia they're like "You have the flu. This is very serious. Go to this special isolation hospital so you don't give it to anyone else."

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

NeonPunk posted:

loving holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/jeffgilchrist/status/1764379747792908681

Lmao this is worse than I thought

i've started making peace with the fact that i will die of dysentery and be promptly buried on the side of the road and forgotten like a pioneer on the oregon trail

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

PostNouveau posted:

It's totally hosed up that over here we're just like "It's only the flu. It's nothing." and in Asia they're like "You have the flu. This is very serious. Go to this special isolation hospital so you don't give it to anyone else."

The flu loving sucks. I got it in 2018 and it took me 6 weeks to get over the exhaustion. People who think it's okay to tank a "flu-like" illness every few months can go gently caress themselves.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

The flu loving sucks. I got it in 2018 and it took me 6 weeks to get over the exhaustion. People who think it's okay to tank a "flu-like" illness every few months can go gently caress themselves.

Got it in 2012 and I was so loving laid out I probably should have gone to the hospital. I have barely any memory of the week I was really sick with it and if I had gotten a bit worse I could have been done in by dehydration since I lived alone at the time.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

NeonPunk posted:

https://twitter.com/IsraelRadar_com/status/1764698245572276513

C'mon Covid, you got one shot at this to redeem yourself for everything youve done🙏

he'll get Paxlovid

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

NeonPunk posted:

loving holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/jeffgilchrist/status/1764379747792908681

Lmao this is worse than I thought

Can someone translate this for me? Whan are the concerns with a 3rd dose of mmr? Its not worded well if it means the boosters wear off after a few years.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

the study it's quoting from is here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10768653/

so feel free to read the whole thing for context. but the TLDR in the abstract is "longer time since your last MMR shot seems related to less protection against infection."

i agree the quote sounds weird but yeah the "concern" is that "we might need a third shot" basically

Apr 7, 2003

Soap Scum posted:

so feel free to read the whole thing for context. but the TLDR in the abstract is "longer time since your last MMR shot seems related to less protection against infection."

i agree the quote sounds weird but yeah the "concern" is that "we might need a third shot" basically

Which people are going to refuse to get because the vaccine well has been poisoned

would be funny if the only thing keeping measles mostly gone since 2000 is vigilance with tracing and quarantine, a thing that won't be permitted to continue.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Soap Scum posted:

yeah this isn’t some kind of weird immune consequence that means the mmr wont be effective again or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Measle's is back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (wolf Howl)