Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Is there any decent turn-based dungeon crawler on Android that isn't gacha crap, besides The Quest?

Dungeons of Chaos is less Ultima Underworld, and more Ultima Exodus. Not so much a dungeon crawler in the way you're probably looking for, but still a really really good retro style rpg.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Dungeons of Chaos is less Ultima Underworld, and more Ultima Exodus. Not so much a dungeon crawler in the way you're probably looking for, but still a really really good retro style rpg.

WOW this brings me back, it reminds me of this shareware game I used to download from AOL called Castle of the Winds II. (Writing that made me feel absolutely ancient.) https://www.freegameempire.com/games/Castle-of-the-Winds-2

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 14, 2024

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

So I got 3 months of Play Pass with my new phone. After deep diving into Slay the Spire I'd now like to try some other stuff, but as mentioned upthread there's a bajillion games just in Play Pass. Is there a thread rec or curated list somewhere that's worth looking at?

Thx

Final fantasy vii, witchspring series, ATOM RPG, doom and destiny, ticket to earth, and the quest, at least for rpgs

Oh and monster hunter story is pretty fun

Under strategy: blacken slash, dungeon of the endless, and dungeon warfare are the ones I remember having the most fun with, but I play mostly RPGs maybe other people can chime in about other stuff.

Oh and goat simulator is hard to control on a phone but still fun

Mortimer Knag fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 14, 2024

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.

New Leaf posted:

WOW this brings me back, it reminds me of this shareware game I used to download from AOL called Castle of the Winds II. (Writing that made me feel absolutely ancient.) https://www.freegameempire.com/games/Castle-of-the-Winds-2a

CotW and CotW2 both absolutely rip.

Still enjoying Merge Survival. It's extremely one of those. The translation from Korean is remarkably well done.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

thuly posted:

CotW and CotW2 both absolutely rip.

Still enjoying Merge Survival. It's extremely one of those. The translation from Korean is remarkably well done.

Merge survival people have a new merge game coming out soon.

Edit: never mind it is the medieval merge devs who have another one coming out.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 14, 2024

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
Does anyone know of any quiet mobile triggers that don't have a loud click?

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

How do I get past the first boss in buriedborne 2? The minotaur just annihilates me.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

GoodluckJonathan posted:

How do I get past the first boss in buriedborne 2? The minotaur just annihilates me.

Try the fairy shield build. It was good enough that I finished the ancient king with it, even if it only really becomes super amazing once you have unlocked the contracts for it. Until that point you are fairly dependent on RNG to get the skills and runes for it.

Long story short, go fairy, you want your skills to be 3 * ancient fire and 1 * spell shield. Put auto trigger runes on the ancient fires of either Free, Piety or Int. Spam spell shield all day.

The spell shield gives you shield, which increases how much damage ancient fire does. You can get some pretty absurd figures out of it. One run I was doing 200k+ damage and gaining 5k+ shield per turn.

Once you get the contracts for the spells, you can force 4 rune slots, which opens up many possibilities.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

GoodluckJonathan posted:

The very short length of that particular dungeon makes it sort of hard to aim for a proper "build".

I recommend summons vs the minotaur, it makes it so much easier it's almost unfair but other bosses can't be cheesed as easily

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I did it by just trying it again a few times with the same default warrior build, luck into some accuracy from corpse parts/passive tree and defensive buffs and go to town. It's hard to get the accuracy when you're looking for it, and that goes double for a 3 floor dungeon, which is why the warrior's gimmick of "hit hard but not often" doesn't really pan out most of the time.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
We could use some fresh blood in the Warcraft Rumble guild! If you like Warcraft stuff and/or Clash Royale type of gameplay, hit me up for an invite!

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Yeah I wasn't familiar enough with the game systems to even understand the concept of a build but I finally figured it out, thanks :)

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
Is there a good game like Dice Wars? Where you have the big stacks of dice and the hexagonal battlefield?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Anyone know if there's a perfectly nice and functional sudoku app out there? No stupid ads, no major gimmicks (if there's like customizable fonts or boards or minor stuff like that it's fine but not needed) and good note-taking features (with the one I have now it's too easy to hit the wrong number). If I need to pay a buck or two that's fine.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Black Griffon posted:

Anyone know if there's a perfectly nice and functional sudoku app out there? No stupid ads, no major gimmicks (if there's like customizable fonts or boards or minor stuff like that it's fine but not needed) and good note-taking features (with the one I have now it's too easy to hit the wrong number). If I need to pay a buck or two that's fine.

I used this one back when I played a lot of Sudoku.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
LogicWiz Sudoku might be worth a look

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Both look like they have potential, thanks!

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I've unlocked Keystones in BB2. That second one looks like a real bastard, how am I supposed to work around it? I'm guessing the Elf with the ability that resets cooldowns when you evade, but I haven't unlocked her yet. Those Union tickets really start to peter out before too long.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

No one mentioned Nonograms Katana? That used to be my favorite.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Nonograms Katana is excellent but it's not a Sudoku app.

Also Neko Atsume 2 was announced for the summer so we can delete every other game we own anyway.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I've unlocked Keystones in BB2. That second one looks like a real bastard, how am I supposed to work around it? I'm guessing the Elf with the ability that resets cooldowns when you evade, but I haven't unlocked her yet. Those Union tickets really start to peter out before too long.

I believe keystones are randomly guaranteed. As for union, the quest reset weekly so you will get the flood of tickets soon enough

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Shwqa posted:

I believe keystones are randomly guaranteed. As for union, the quest reset weekly so you will get the flood of tickets soon enough

Yeah, keystones are generated whenever a dungeon is beyond a certain length (it's either 25 or 30, I think), they're random, and you never HAVE TO use one. I have maybe a dozen of them that I've never even considered using, because they're too punitive.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cool, Loop Hero is coming to android. I kinda hit and quit this game fairly quickly when it came out but did like it a lot and I think it'll be great on phones.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

explosivo posted:

Cool, Loop Hero is coming to android. I kinda hit and quit this game fairly quickly when it came out but did like it a lot and I think it'll be great on phones.

About time

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.

explosivo posted:

Looking forward to playing through this again. What a great little game.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Unfortunately, BB2 suffers from the same problem as BB: Once you master your genetically-engineered Fairy, the game becomes a Nuke Everything simulator, lol.

Spell Shield and Ancient Fire can do it all on their own, but if you can toss an Ancient Shield in there? Yeah.

Stop wasting rune slots on Flat for every nuke, just put a Calm on Spell Shield. Also, damage-boosting stuff is similarly pointless when you're nuking for 30% of 999999999, so just get utility runes like Break, Spending, and especially Speed (-2) on Ancient Shield. If you haven't unlocked the ability to craft Auto: Free, remember that Auto: PIE and INT work exactly the same for Ancient Fire>Spell Shield spam.

Also Remind works for Auto battle, so slap that in Spell Shield and go BRRRRRRR.

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 2, 2024

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Unfortunately, BB2 suffers from the same problem as BB: Once you master your genetically-engineered Fairy, the game becomes a Nuke Everything simulator, lol.

Spell Shield and Ancient Fire can do it all on their own, but if you can toss an Ancient Shield in there? Yeah.

Stop wasting rune slots on Flat for every nuke, just put a Calm on Spell Shield. Also, damage-boosting stuff is similarly pointless when you're nuking for 30% of 999999999, so just get utility runes like Break, Spending, and especially Speed (-2) on Ancient Shield. If you haven't unlocked the ability to craft Auto: Free, remember that Auto: PIE and INT work exactly the same for Ancient Fire>Spell Shield spam.

Also Remind works for Auto battle, so slap that in Spell Shield and go BRRRRRRR.

Yeah, that is my issue with that game developer in general. They did the same B100X. You are either in God mode until you instant die or win. There is never an in-between.

There is a certain charm to find out ways to become broken. But once that happens, the fun falls away pretty quickly.

The game is also pretty grindy in the late stage with a ton of little details to mess with, but it quickly becomes overwhelming, and you are already broken anyways, so you just ignore it until some super try hard pvper one shots you.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

I found Harvest101 via a Facebook ad.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.banjihagames.farmstone

It's kinda a farming simulator cross Slay the Spire? I'm enjoying it

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Could someone give me some basic tips for Shattered Pixels Dungeon? I understand the basics of how combat and items work, and I like it in a nethacky way. But I never know when to search for rooms unless it's incredibly obvious, and I keep running out of food even if I only eat when I'm fully starving.

Rapner posted:

I found Harvest101 via a Facebook ad.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.banjihagames.farmstone

It's kinda a farming simulator cross Slay the Spire? I'm enjoying it

I have played a bit of this after seeing it on the store, it's interesting but pretty slow imo. They really slow roll you into mechanics and card synergies, so the first several levels could basically be completed by using the most basic cards. It makes me wonder how it'll be once the quotas get higher, if they expect you to start really buying cards.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 4, 2024

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

Could someone give me some basic tips for Shattered Pixels Dungeon? I understand the basics of how combat and items work, and I like it in a nethacky way. But I never know when to search for rooms unless it's incredibly obvious, and I keep running out of food even if I only eat when I'm fully starving.

Only search when you're basically positive there's something there.

Resting is a trap. If you have to rest a bunch to recover health, you're taking too much damage in fights.

You can burn and freeze raw meat to make good food.

Being starving isn't a huge deal, and you can actually ride the line quite far before needing to eat. Eating as soon you hit starving is a massive food waste.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

CuddleCryptid posted:

One very helpful tip is if you see a treasure room with a gimmick, then the appropriate potion to counter it will always be in the same level. A levitation potion to get to a chest on the other side of a big pit for example.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

ponzicar posted:

One very helpful tip is if you see a treasure room with a gimmick, then the appropriate potion to counter it will always be in the same level. A levitation potion to get to a chest on the other side of a big pit for example.

Yeah that is what tends to get me, because I'll find something like that and go "Okay so the solution is somewhere...in all of these many possible wall squares". Sometimes it is obvious, like when a path clearly dead ends in a wall, but a lot of times it is just a matter of rubbing up against every wall in the place that might connect to a 3x3 room.

It's not necessary to get every single item on a level, but my strength suffers when I skip out on too many upgrades.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
The biggest tip not mentioned so far is that you should be using the layout to beat enemies.

Don't fight in the open (use doors and choke points)
Force suprise attacks where you can (retreat through a door and wait for them to come through)
Use ranged attacks to pull sleeping mobs
Trigger traps with a thrown weapon to damage mobs

Then there are situational things like using chains to pull mobs into chasms, pull piranhas onto dry ground, etc

Also there are a bunch of other mods of the game around, including some with easier modes

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Also on the early floors you can take educated guesses on potions and scrolls based on the room types that spawn

E.g:
trap chest room means at least one potion will be levitation.
if nothing special was needed and you only got one potion? Then it's probably a strength potion (at least two will spawn per 3 floor section of the dungeon)

It seems like shattered PD doesn't really make searching super hard, searching is basically 100% success unless you have a curse. And as said above you should be certain that searching will succeed before using it.
My favourite is that the floor change rooms almost certainly have two doors

Jows
May 8, 2002

Black Griffon posted:

https://opensudoku.moire.org/

Theres a link to the play store there, but this is a no frills ad/iap free sudoku app with infinite puzzles available

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Black Griffon posted:

I play this one
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.uvmlab.usudoku

I don't know if variants classify as stupid gimmicks, but I love when I can fill a completely empty board just by following extra rules. It's a one-time purchase, and devs add new custom themed levels almost every week.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Ah neat, thanks guys. Ended up grabbing Sudoku Premium earlier and I'm pretty happy with that, but I still appreciate alternatives in case something gets on my nerves.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Are there graphically impressive games on the Play store that actually take advantage of "a gaming phone". I remember Galaxy on Fire (2) being cool but that was years ago. Browsing nothing seems exceptional.

I have the San Andreas remaster (Netflix) and it's pretty cool (for some reason it seems the mobile ports aren't the disaster the PC/console versions are), but... still an old game ultimately.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
Eyy

https://twitter.com/ColourTann/status/1765028851388707065?s=20

Slice and dice march 20th

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

drat, had just noticed there were over 800 new posts in that thread since I last checked in on it.