Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will FFVIIRemake part 3 be called?
This poll is closed.
Return 9 9.38%
Revolutions 7 7.29%
Rescind 1 1.04%
Rental property 23 23.96%
Restoration 3 3.13%
Rebar 14 14.58%
Renegade 3 3.13%
Red XIII's party hour 36 37.50%
Total: 96 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/OatmealDome/status/1764715696250843321

Ah, well, RIP. There's always Ryujinx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Waffleman_ posted:

Ah, well, RIP. There's always Ryujinx.

They have a Patreon bringing in nearly $2k a month, so they're probably next if they become the new default. Unless there was something in Yuzu that Ryujinx has been smarter about.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ryujinx frantically deleting their patreon

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Lol nintendo is epic and cool

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Played Remnant: From The Ashes for the first time today. Right after I started some random stranger joined my session (I didn't know it was open) and we proceeded to go fumble our way through 5-6 bosses, never uttering a word and only using the emotes. I think they were also new to the game.

We went to a desert area and I found a dog I could pet, and I think my co-op buddy figured out that gave us a summoning ability where the dog kept assisting us inside the dungeons. Very useful ability.

Anyway, cool game.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Nintendo sucks rear end, but isn't Yuzu open source?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Nintendo's case hangs on a specific very dumb clause in the DMCA. Idk how many countries have equivalent clauses, but presumably it isn't all of them. Emulation is far from dead, even if this specific project with these people is

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Rinkles posted:

Holy poo poo, there’s a rumored Gravity Rush 2 remaster in the works. I never imagined Sony would bother with it after the abysmal sales of the stuff like Sackboy on PC. It’s not a fantastic game, but it’s a world I loved just chilling in. That and diving off skyscrapers.

Apparently the online scavenger hunts are gone, which is a pity, but whatever I didn’t think we’d be getting anything.

Presumably if it gets remastered that will come back (not necessarily if you fired up the original though)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

mutata posted:

Yes, but part of the settlement is apparently that the source code stops distribution and no doubt there'll be people watching any new Switch emulator that comes up to see if it uses old Yuzu code.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

mutata posted:

Yeah, so even if Nintendo killed the devs, it wouldn't matter as far as the emulator is concerned.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

njsykora posted:

Yes, but part of the settlement is apparently that the source code stops distribution and no doubt there'll be people watching any new Switch emulator that comes up to see if it uses old Yuzu code.

The agreement says that the defendants have to delete/dehost their copies. It does not, and cannot, bind everyone in the world to not use their previously-downloaded source code

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

The agreement says that the defendants have to delete/dehost their copies. It does not, and cannot, bind everyone in the world to not use their previously-downloaded source code

But if you're a hobbyist developer, is taking that risk worth it?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:rip: shouldn't have asked for donations to help fund TotK emulation development

Here's the link to the latest early access release before it gets pulled
https://github.com/pineappleEA/pineapple-src/releases

Android Yuzu already pulled
https://github.com/yuzu-emu/yuzu-android

Mainline releases also down
https://github.com/yuzu-emu/yuzu
https://github.com/yuzu-emu/yuzu-mainline/releases

She's dead Jim

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 4, 2024

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

haveblue posted:

Presumably if it gets remastered that will come back (not necessarily if you fired up the original though)

no unfortunately that was from the leak's source. no more online elements, and new ways to get the associated rewards.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Nintendo killed the emu star

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FauxLeather posted:

What's the Helldivers 2 randoms experience like at the moment? I'll likely never play the game mic'd up with anyone since my pals aren't interested in the game, so I'm just keen to know what the median experience with pubbies is like. Probably a silly question but I'm so used to toxicity and sweating and griefing being a constant for all multiplayer titles, even the PvE ones.
vast majority of the the time I play with randoms, I get hyper competent people that wordlessly know exactly what to do and we end up clearing all the objectives and getting five stars with a lot of time left on the clock

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Infinitum posted:

:rip: shouldn't have asked for donations to help fund TotK emulation development

Here's the link to the latest early access release before it gets pulled
https://github.com/pineappleEA/pineapple-src/releases

Android Yuzu already pulled
https://github.com/yuzu-emu/yuzu-android

Mainline releases also down
https://github.com/yuzu-emu/yuzu
https://github.com/yuzu-emu/yuzu-mainline/releases

She's dead Jim

that is disappointing, I was thinking Yuzu was allowed to still continue, but that was based on what literally everyone else was saying for some reason.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Infinitum posted:

Gonna be real, this is the one that's driving me mad is people talking about "well they shouldn't have tried to make money on what is basically a regular job's worth of work"

Nintendo doesn't give a poo poo if you're getting rich off this kind of thing if they want you dead. How many lawsuit threats have they made to fangames or random third parties who didn't make a dime? Same tactics, different clause cited.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I think the release of the very performant native code update to yuzu on android may have been what pushed them to act

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

claw game handjob posted:

Gonna be real, this is the one that's driving me mad is people talking about "well they shouldn't have tried to make money on what is basically a regular job's worth of work"

I mean the honest answer there is "Don't turn something like that into a job instead of a hobby." It's a risky and low-reward job that earns you basically nothing but clout. It's nice that people are willing to put effort in but at the end of the day you'd almost certainly do better putting your skills to use in almost anything else.

Nintendo doesn't give a poo poo if you're getting rich off this kind of thing if they want you dead. How many lawsuit threats have they made to fangames or random third parties who didn't make a dime? Same tactics, different clause cited.

Isn't the answer to this "nowhere as many as you think?" Pretty much every time a C&D comes up from Nintendo it ends up being because someone had moved from "I am doing a goofy thing" to "I am actively attempting to profit off this goofy thing." Like they didn't go after the Super Mario Crossover dude until he started trying to sell stuff. The exceptions I can think of almost always are connected to "they are doing something that directly competes with something we are putting out in a visible way" like how AM2R and Metroid Returns were competing.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Mar 4, 2024

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The 7th Guest posted:

whenever you think about how your school computers had simcity or commander keen or liero, just think that a school employee deliberately put it there

a very cool school employee

my dad was the head IT guy for the Jefferson Parish School board and he made it a point to put all those and the golf game, and the snowboarding game, and the bugs bunny game on every computer he ever worked on.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

nintendo agrees: people should definitely get paid for their work

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Also in the summer of 2004 my high school De La Salle in New Orleans hired me and two other friends to design and keep up their website. To do this they had to give us full access to their network. So we did the job and also installed something, I can't remember what it was called now, that let us play fighting games and halo online and against each other on any computer in the computer lab. They stopped paying us once the school year began and made us keep working on the website because they turned our job into a class. We spent the entire year not working on the website out of protest and just playing poo poo like Garou: Mark of the Wolves

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Regardless of what the law says, piracy is a literal non-issue, it doesn't hurt the game industry. The fact that Nintendo has to go after some side issue, like the Patreon, proves that.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah OK, I agree, but they poked the bear by doing so.
A bear that you infamously do not want to poke.

You reckon Yuzu wouldn't have fought it if they thought it was frivolous enough that they'd get away with it? They were putting out near hourly updates when TotK dropped.

Piracy is cool and good.
People should be paid for their efforts.
Mayhaps running a donation drive to fund emulation development off the back of a leak of one of Nintendo's flagship titles for the year was a bad idea

I'm super bummed about Yuzu for Android, it was incredibly impressive.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
For clarity, the actual legal argument isn't really based on the patreon. It's based on a very dumb clause in the DMCA that breaking DRM is always illegal even if you don't do any copyright violation. Because of technical details, this applies to modern consoles in a way it didn't to older ones

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
Even if they win every battle, Nintendo can never win the war against emus. It's a lesson Australia learned the hard way.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

making yuzu is labor but, having a high dollar patreon with exclusive builds for your current generation console emulator and at one point charging for online support is by far the dumbest possible thing you could be doing

the totk stuff is bullshit because that version of yuzu couldnt play totk but still, lol

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Rinkles posted:

I think the release of the very performant native code update to yuzu on android may have been what pushed them to act

I was thinking it might be something like the Switch 2 coming up in the near future and maybe it's not that architecturally different from the Switch 2 other than increased performance so they're worried the Yuzu devs will be able to emulate it almost immediately vs. the multi year lag you usually get before playable emulators are available for a console.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

cheetah7071 posted:

For clarity, the actual legal argument isn't really based on the patreon. It's based on a very dumb clause in the DMCA that breaking DRM is always illegal even if you don't do any copyright violation. Because of technical details, this applies to modern consoles in a way it didn't to older ones
There's a handful of exceptions to the anti-circumvention clause, and one of those is scholarly research. Yuzu possibly could've made an argument that the emulator source-code repository exists for research purposes, but the existence of their Patreon, and the obvious money-for-prereleases pipeline that Nintendo documented makes that approach troublesome. So, yes, I'd say that the existence of their Patreon and other piracy-adjacent activities made the overall case troublesome for Yuzu's LLC.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

homeless snail posted:

making yuzu is labor but, having a high dollar patreon with exclusive builds for your current generation console emulator and at one point charging for online support is by far the dumbest possible thing you could be doing

the totk stuff is bullshit because that version of yuzu couldnt play totk but still, lol

Nintendo charges a monthly fee for access to emulated games and for online services. They don't service PC despite literally everything they make demonstrably working, often better, than on native hardware.

Nintendo refuses to provide service to some customers because they rely on games people made(and that Nintendo regrettably has any authority or control over) being made exclusive to Nintendo hardware even, despite that hardware not even being the ideal hardware for the software library.

Sadly yeah seeking fair compensation for what you provide to consumers is exactly how Nintendo crucifies people and projects, but that's hosed up, that should not be something a legal system allows or encourages. Yuzu people were doing consumers good, shoring up where Nintendo is being a ratshit company using the same cutesy family friendly veneer Disney uses.

The right response to Yuzu would be for Nintendo to buy it and begin distributing Nintendo games on PC or other platforms and collecting the profit from sales of games.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The right response would be to obliterate them, and all their users, with pokemon attacks.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The right response would be to obliterate them, and all their users, with pokemon attacks.
*yuz-ers

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Pokemons can't kill people. Read some aasimov.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Nintendo is the great Satan of gaming

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

nintendo should release games exclusively on the epic game store

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jay Rust posted:

Pokemons can't kill people. Read some aasimov.

They are extremely strong.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://x.com/Wario64/status/1764746711111733708?s=20

in lighter news, lmao Skull and Bones is already selling for 45 bucks

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

PC gamers acting like it's their divine right to play every videogame ever made because they spent 4x more on their gaming machine than everyone else is one of the more tiresome trends of this console generation. Reminds me of when the Switch was new and the immediate response to every new game was begging for a Switch port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

EightFlyingCars posted:

nintendo should release games exclusively on the epic game store
yep. cause their games are Epic