Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Coin flip whether it's actually true or some insane indie drama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Serephina posted:

lol what, the guys who made games so saccarine sweet that the tooth fairy blushed, those guys? Got a link?
Here's an article about it: https://venturebeat.com/pc-gaming/despite-its-beautiful-ori-games-moon-studio-is-called-an-oppressive-place-to-work/

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Megazver posted:

I mean, there's a lot of XCOMlikes and a lot of them did alright. WH Mechanicus, WH Daemonhunters, Gears Tactics, Troubleshooter, Hard West 1&2, Othercide, Phantom Doctrine, JA3, etc, none of these killed their studio AFAIK.

It's a busy genre, but most genres are busy. I don't think LL being an xcomlike was inherently a positive or a negative here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Look at your list though, half of them have famous licenses like Warhammer or Gears that can do a lot of heavy lifting in terms of sales and marketability and the other half sold very little comparatively. Phantom Doctrine didn't kill the studio, but people were forced to resign over it. Othercide wasn't a blockbuster either. Most of these either barely tread water or did poorly in terms of sales. Hell even the studio behind xcom isn't interested in making a new xcom. They are leaning into their marvel license.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Dramicus posted:

Look at your list though, half of them have famous licenses like Warhammer or Gears that can do a lot of heavy lifting in terms of sales and marketability and the other half sold very little comparatively. Phantom Doctrine didn't kill the studio, but people were forced to resign over it. Othercide wasn't a blockbuster either. Most of these either barely tread water or did poorly in terms of sales. Hell even the studio behind xcom isn't interested in making a new xcom. They are leaning into their marvel license.

As I understand it, Firaxis was not forced to use their marvel license, that was literally a passion project (which is why you can date the superheroes)

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Dramicus posted:

Jake Solomon, the lead designer on XCOM 1&2, was not interested in making XCOM 3, because he was personally done with it and he felt the franchise needed to breathe a little. So he made the Marvel game (famous license!) and it bombed hard enough that he left the company. And it was still a tactical RPG where you send out heroes on missions to fight in turn-based combat, so pretty xcom-ish in that regard.

Now they probably are making another XCOM.

StrixNebulosa posted:

As I understand it, Firaxis was not forced to use their marvel license, that was literally a passion project (which is why you can date the superheroes)

Oh, if only. Apparently Marvel explicitly forbid romance, which might have saved that game.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

That's my point, given the choice between another Xcom or more marvel stuff, they prefer the latter.

Megazver posted:

Jake Solomon, the lead designer on XCOM 1&2, was not interested in making XCOM 3, because he was personally done with it and he felt the franchise needed to breathe a little. So he made the Marvel game (famous license!) and it bombed hard enough that he left the company. And it was still a tactical RPG where you send out heroes on missions to fight in turn-based combat, so pretty xcom-ish in that regard.

The thing that turned me away was the card-based rpgness of it. Its not xcomy enough to scratch that itch and it's not rpg enough to scratch that itch. It's a worst of both worlds situation.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 4, 2024

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Internet Explorer posted:

No Rest For The Wicked looks extremely loving cool.

I have this long held belief that Diablo 1 represents a road not taken in being a slower, more moody, more tense survival horror experience than we ever see again in ARPGS. Yes, the speed and bombast that we see in D2 in later games is also in D3, but for decades I've only seen ARPGs build on parts of D1 while ignoring others.

Eitr, a game with a promising trailer that never actually got made, was something I'd hoped for years would finally represent that spiritual successor, and now No Rest for the Wicked may actually release and give me that.

It's funny how Dark Souls works backwards to express something that I'd swear was in the genre from the start.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Megazver posted:

It was also a good game, and that comes from a person that loving hates Marvel poo poo.
It was just really poorly marketed.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
moon studio appears to be made up of a lot of decent and hardworking people with two insane, incompetent and unbelievably crass frat boys in charge

don’t know about MS severing ties though, the Ori games are in gamepass indefinitely

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Jack Trades posted:

It was also a good game, and that comes from a person that loving hates Marvel poo poo.
It was just really poorly marketed.

It has a way too long on ramp with many very, very brain dead missions. It IS a great game, but if anyone buys it and you're in that steam refund window thinking it's not actually very good, just remember it has an onboarding process like a JRPG. I'm also actively hosting to the MCU so the game won me over in spite of it's setting, not because of it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Dackel posted:

I know there can be no ethical consumption in this system of ours, but this is from the Ori devs. A studio deemed so toxic/mysoginistic/homophobic that microsoft severed all ties with them

quote:

As an example, Mahler and Korol regularly made unprofessional and offensive comments.
“Tyler is the only person who is aware of my devious plans to kill the Jews by making them work to death through game development,” Mahler “joked” in a text chat that was available for anyone in the company to read.

The context of the conversation suggested that Mahler was truly making a joke, but it’s alarming to think he felt it was safe and appropriate to say such a thing in a company chat. One developer said the chat was “rough” because the founders felt free to make jokes about their penis sizes.

quote:

Finally, we appreciate the irony that we — an Austrian and an Israeli Jew — started this multicultural enterprise. We view each other as brothers. And, like brothers, we sometimes argue and frequently tease each other. We have made jokes at our own expense about the differences in our backgrounds — and there may have been times that our teasing of each other has come off as insensitive and may have made others feel uncomfortable.

God drat it. My first thought is "unbelievable," but unfortunately it's all too believable.

Thanks for the heads up.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I actually really enjoyed the combat gameplay of Midnight Suns as someone who's bored of nu-xcomlikes but I still put the game down and wouldn't particularly recommend it because of how tedious the social sim/grounds exploration part of it is and the relative balance between that and mission gameplay. I would eat up a more mechanics-first version of midnight suns.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

It has a way too long on ramp with many very, very brain dead missions. It IS a great game, but if anyone buys it and you're in that steam refund window thinking it's not actually very good, just remember it has an onboarding process like a JRPG. I'm also actively hosting to the MCU so the game won me over in spite of it's setting, not because of it.

Also the tutorial involves Iron Man, the most cringeworthy character in the game.
The first time I tried the game, during a free weekend, I uninstalled the game after Iron Man went "Yeah, and you're ugly too!" to a monster that doesn't even talk.

EDIT: Oh and also that first time I picked the female protag and they have her wear horrible boob plate by default and the VA is terrible. Which doesn't help the first impression.

Male VA turned out to be Matt Mercer and he did a much better job.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 4, 2024

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Jack Trades posted:

Also the tutorial involves Iron Man, the most cringeworthy character in the game.
The first time I tried the game, during a free weekend, I uninstalled the game after Iron Man went "Yeah, and you're ugly too!" to a monster that doesn't even talk.

EDIT: Oh and also that first time I picked the female protag and they have her wear horrible boob plate by default and the VA is terrible. Which doesn't help the first impression.

Male VA turned out to be Matt Mercer and he did a much better job.

Yeah but my Charlie girl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5ZEyTJ2Vkk&t=2s

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

ZearothK posted:

I'd be 100% be down for it. They fill that niche of well written RPG with competent tactical combat with reasonable game length that's honestly underserved as far as I can tell. Most RPGs with decent production values and good writing tend to be 70+ hour adventures and I find that honestly kind of tiresome.

Agree 100%. I still need to go finish Hong Kong one day, not sure why I drifted away.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Megazver posted:

Oh, if only. Apparently Marvel explicitly forbid romance, which might have saved that game.

wait, you cant even bang Blade? what the hell is the point then lol

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I imagine Mercer is no slouch, but I thought the female VA was pretty good in MS. Most of them were, even if some of them don't make a good first impression.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

You can set up Blade with Captain Marvel, which is also fun. But yes, Baldur's Gate 3 clearly demonstrated their folly.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 4, 2024

Orv
May 4, 2011
Midnight Suns 2 should have been a dating sim and not a tactics game at all but it'll never happen now.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

some muthafuckas always trying to ice skate uphill

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Dramicus posted:

Othercide wasn't a blockbuster either.

is othercide good? i remember thinking it looked cool before it released then completely forgot about it. its on sale for $8 right now though

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kly posted:

is othercide good? i remember thinking it looked cool before it released then completely forgot about it. its on sale for $8 right now though

I think it's quite a bit of fun but its balance is kind of wonky.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
You will probably get 8 bucks of fun out of Othercide.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My biggest complaint about the protagonist in Midnight suns is that the devs gave you a bespoke character with a very specific origin, mechanics and aesthetic, and almost none of it was anything I liked. To me, at their core, the quintessential super heros have always been ordinary people transformed into supernatural brawlers. Captain Marvel is, mechanically, who I would have made if they'd let me, and your protagonist is far removed from that ideal in basically every way, and I never really came to like them. If I'd been able to make my own character I probably wouldn't have lost interest when I got deeper into the Persona style down time. Set aside the question of whether or not Iron Man grates in that game, I didn't like ME.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I only played a little bit of Midnight suns but thought the protag was definitely a big ol dangus and hard for me to care about. The combat seemed very fun but I was not feeling the social stuff whatsoever so I refunded it. Or uninstalled it. Maybe it was a free weekend or something.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Kly posted:

Oh I really like Otherside! It's fun and leans hard into its aesthetic. Do you listen to podcasts? Three Moves Ahead did a really interesting episode on it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

has anyone tried replacing the dpad on a dualsense or dualsense edge with one made of individual buttons instead of the diagonal-prone single button?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Jarvisi posted:

They did lamplighters because they were told they weren't allowed to make battletech

:colbert::argh:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

it's sad there won't be a proper xcom 3, but we're lucky to have gotten xcom:eu/ew and xcom 2/wotc as it is. hopefully jake's enjoying fixing his games. xcom's one of the only series i have any merch for besides yakuza

speaking of games that are never fixed join us for something awful wrestling season 2, signups just started: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4055673 get your ai avatar to fight for your subforum of choice

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Speaking of X-Coming, how's dev on Xenonauts 2 going? I actually forgot it went into EA last year.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
HBS couldn't make another Shadowrun (and presumably Battletech) because they have to pay royalties/can't expand the property (books/toys/cartoons, etc), which Paradox didn't like. SR and BT have been butchered to pieces ever since they left FASA's ownership. Sad really.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

As a result of the settlement and permanent injunction, Yuzu and Citra have been shut down and removed from the internet.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Yeah, Yuzu got Nintenuked.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Mordja posted:

Speaking of X-Coming, how's dev on Xenonauts 2 going? I actually forgot it went into EA last year.

Slowly but surely getting there. Couple months ago I played through to the end of the current content At the time. the foundation is good and they just need to fill it out.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
The announcement on their Discord reads like written by a lawyer lol

quote:

Hello yuz-ers and Citra fans:

We write today to inform you that yuzu and yuzu’s support of Citra are being discontinued, effective immediately.

yuzu and its team have always been against piracy. We started the projects in good faith, out of passion for Nintendo and its consoles and games, and were not intending to cause harm. But we see now that because our projects can circumvent Nintendo’s technological protection measures and allow users to play games outside of authorized hardware, they have led to extensive piracy. In particular, we have been deeply disappointed when users have used our software to leak game content prior to its release and ruin the experience for legitimate purchasers and fans.

We have come to the decision that we cannot continue to allow this to occur. Piracy was never our intention, and we believe that piracy of video games and on video game consoles should end. Effective today, we will be pulling our code repositories offline, discontinuing our Patreon accounts and Discord servers, and, soon, shutting down our websites. We hope our actions will be a small step toward ending piracy of all creators’ works.

Thank you for your years of support and for understanding our decision.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Goodnight YUZUMANIACS and jabronie marks without a life that don't know it a work when you work a work and work yourself into a shoot,marks

Orv
May 4, 2011
We believe that the piracy of video games, that we did not profit from in any way or endorse or instruct in in any fashion, should end.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

lordfrikk posted:

Wow, we had no idea that people would use our software for piracy. Believe me when I say that this is a total shock that people were using this for illegal stuff. Anyways.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

lordfrikk posted:

it would have been as part of the settlement agreement

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lordfrikk posted:

Like 98% sure it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Wow, we had no idea that people would use our software for piracy. Believe me when I say that this is a total shock that people were using this for illegal stuff. Anyways.

twas merely a coincidence that our patreon income tripled when TOTK leaked

in any case, it's a shame that citra got caught in the crossfire since they don't even sell those games anymore