Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

GLs don't break any armor and just do damage via explosives which are pretty low unless you're already shooting the charger in the butt. This is noticeable against robots if you try to shoot at a hulk because it just ignores it largely and takes a while to just take out an arm compared to actual armor penetrating weapons. It'd be nice if there was an armor weakening system beyond heavy explosives making bug parts more vulnerable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

JBP posted:

I think it's just that four players make way more noise.

This is my experience. After playing with some goons, I realized that running off solo while 3 pubbies deathmatch against the bugs on some part of the map is a great way to clear objectives and hunt down samples in relative peace. For best results, wear armor with the best speed and stamina stats and rebind your sprint to toggle so you can sprint while watching your radar for enemy locations. Felt really good coming back to the extraction from the opposite direction with like 4 objectives and 3 super samples under my belt.

Ciaphas posted:

can't. brainworms

(e) getting kicked for poor play by a total stranger is bad enough for me, playing with and disappointing someone in the same community is 10x worse

As others said, play with goons. They'll answer questions and teach you things. And if you're stuck playing with pubbies, that's fine too. You'll get better with time and experience. The only way to get good at something is to start off by sucking at something. If you get kicked, just quickplay again. You won't see those randoms again, and their opinion frankly doesn't matter because much like Bronze-tier League players, they probably also suck and are projecting their poor play on you, rather than learning and getting better.

The only thing that'll beat back the brainworms is experience. I still feel inadequate a lot, but then I look at the scoreboard and see I died the least, or had the best accuracy, or carried all the samples out, or I know I was playing objectives the whole match... etc.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I haven't heard a single case of goons kicking other people out mid match in play, maybe it's happened but unless the person was a griefing rear end in a top hat they would absolutely be raising a stink.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

I feel like the shitheads really live in 2-4 and once you start quick playing in 5+ the pubbies get better. less loving around and rear end in a top hat moves that I've noticed. the only time I got kicked was after I accidentally blew up a pubbie host a few times and despite apologizing profusely over voice they were silent and I was removed. oh well v:shobon:v

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

This weekend I experienced the most Rube Goldberg own-goal yet and it was magnificent. I fired a grenade at a charger and watched as it ricocheted off of the armored thorax into a leg plate, bounced again and proceeded to nail me in the chest. :gibs::allears:

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Reiley posted:

I hit 20 and picked up the Spear and I am confused what its niche is. It wouldn't lock on if a big guy is too close, it misses AT-STs and it locks onto the middle of dropships. I swapped back to my recoilless and life was good again, but I'm still left wondering what the Spear gets you for being so temperamental.

Most people are fairly sure the lock-on is bugged and doesn't work correctly. I'd wait for a patch

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Dyz posted:

GL is apparently a meta weapon for bugs because it closes holes and doesnt take a backpack slot.

If you take it with the supply backpack you can pretty much use it with a primary weapon and it's great against everything except chargers and titans. Both of which are easy to deal with if you've cleared out the swarm of small bugs and artillery bugs with grenade spam.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

this game is so much better now that my mic is working and I've unlocked the breaker and the AC

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Considering how much stuff in the game simply doesn't work it is genuinely impressive how fun it is.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The stuff that really needs to work to make the game fun works is the reason why. There's absolutely stuff that's broken/needs addressing but the game is really fun even with those issues.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Floppychop posted:

Holy the hell the scorcher is complete trash. The damage is middling, and the splash damage is a non factor on enemies. However if a hunter leaps in your face the splash will absolutely kill you.

It's almost like there isn't one universal loadout/weapon that is the most effective at everything in this game. There might, in fact, be weapons/stratagems that are better against bots than they are against bugs and vice-versa.

Pretty ballsy for the devs to do that, huh?

Edit: You can certainly make the argument that there are weapons/stratagems that are universally bad (e.g., Ballistic Shield). But the Scorcher ain't one of them, as it is one of the better primary selections against bots (while being one of the worst against bugs).

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 4, 2024

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nobody who is ramboing should be fighting chargers, or really killing much of anything-- that's a big ask for a dude with light armor and a jetpack or whatever

I will say that the GL is a HUGE benefit since you can have a backpack slot too. Between a GL, a liberator/breaker, and a laser guard dog you can handle just about anything other than the largest hordes and chargers/titans.

I have had some success killing chargers by just blowing up their rear end in a top hat with a GL until they start bleeding (or they lose their rear end in a top hat), then booking it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i like the dualsense haptics but only now am i realizing how truly abysmal the dpad is for entering stratagems. might be part of why i'm so bad. guess i'll try kbm

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Darox posted:

The grenade launcher is amazing against bugs when you get spitters and pretty good regardless but I’d never try to rambo with it because chargers ruin your day. I’ll absolutely pick it if I have anti-armour (railgun) teammates I can stick to and rely on for charger killing though.

Grenade Launcher is THE tool for going Rambo and soloing bug nests and eggs. Quicky clears chaff to give you room to move around, converts ammo pickups into plugged holes, leaves you backpack slot for wearing the personal shield which saves you from getting slow-locked by hunters, and reloads on the move. I usually don't bother fighting chargers, heavy nest terrain usually lets you make elevation changes to juke them and give you time to work while they clamber around. If you're pulling down 3+ chargers worth of heat it's time to run, wrap around, and approach the nest again from the other side after you lose the chargers in rocks/terrain. Time spent running in circles while soloing can feel unproductive but if you triggered a bug breach and are soaking up a bunch of bug aggro, the rest of your team is probably encountering low resistance and cruising through the other objectives. In a pinch, mag-dumping the Breaker into charger back legs during their recovery animation can kill them in two passes.

Vanilla Bison fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 4, 2024

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

LuiCypher posted:

It's almost like there isn't one universal loadout/weapon that is the most effective at everything in this game.

yeah sometimes you want to use the breaker, railgun and laser drone and other times you want to use the breaker, railgun and shield backpack

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

for the life of me I cannot get the aiming correct with the grenade launcher on bug holes from distance.

every single time it's 4-5 shots unless I am directly on top of it

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Fate Accomplice posted:

for the life of me I cannot get the aiming correct with the grenade launcher on bug holes from distance.

every single time it's 4-5 shots unless I am directly on top of it

i think it depends on if you are shooting a normal hole or the special variant that takes 10 grenades to register a hit

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

johnny park posted:

Most people are fairly sure the lock-on is bugged

Of course the bugs sabotaged my freedom missile

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

If you haven't seen the impact from a grenade blast in those narrow vertical holes, you haven't seen everything.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

GlyphGryph posted:

So, on the controller, I can move while calling strategems... in every direction except forward.

Is that normal behaviour for everyone? Or is it weird? Is there any way to... have it not do that?

I've been coping by looking at what I'm running away from while calling the strategems, for now, but it would be really nice to know if I'm about to run into a lake while typing things in.

That's how it works for me. I just keep sprinting 'backwards' in relation to the camera when I need to enter new strats. Unfortunately the other day I ran directly into an insta death hole while doing so, so there are dangers.

Fate Accomplice posted:

is there analysis on at which difficulty levels which POIs spawn?

anecdotally I dropped into a level 1 mission last night to wrap up 100 flamethrower kills and it was non-stop beacons/bunkers with medals/super credits/req points.

I have a general idea but not a full analysis. At the very least, when you have the map open you can see how many samples of each kind are in the mission.

CelticPredator posted:

I used orbital airburst strike on a bot house and it killed everyone lmao 😂

Yesterday was not my day tbh lol

Sometimes people getting killed by your strats is not your fault honestly. They do dumb things like run directly under a bombing call down or directly in front of a sentry. I include myself as well, sometimes get a little greedy and think I'm fast away enough but I'm not. Or just fail to notice it.

jokes posted:

I don't know how I can throw a stratagem that summons an airstrike and stay completely still and the bugs know exactly where the airstrike came from

Yeah I think the game essentially counts that as an attack. Which it is I suppose

Black Noise posted:

I feel like you have a disadvantage using stratagems vs using a controller as opposed to aim being easier on KB/M. But I never tried controller for this so I don't know what the aiming experience is like.

I think this is pretty accurate, I don't have much problem aiming with controller but it's definitely a bit trickier than kbm. That being said you COULD set up a macro in kbm to automatically input certain strats for your when you press f3 or whatever.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

jokes posted:

I don't know how I can throw a stratagem that summons an airstrike and stay completely still and the bugs know exactly where the airstrike came from

I spend 7 minutes sneaking into the outpost quietly until directly behind some bugs

I quietly type in the code, stopping only to wipe nervous sweat from brow as I check to make sure the bugs don't hear me tapping

I scooch into some brush and prepare by drawing a big breath

REQUESTING AN EAGLE

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Silenced AR leaked, wonder how thatll be.

Excited for battle rifles

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Do I meet hot goons that want to dive into bushes on the Marvelous discord?

Baby T. Love
Aug 5, 2009

jokes posted:

my favorite is whatever the planet that looks like a moon -- the silvery/white floor with the bright white light. if they had an effect where dirt particles fell slowly it would be way, way cooler. or if the fog had glitter in it

This is Fenrir III, I think.

turn off the TV posted:

yeah sometimes you want to use the breaker, railgun and laser drone and other times you want to use the breaker, railgun and shield backpack

It really does feel like this in Helldive Bugs. You can't trust others to deal with Heavies and the Breaker is good enough with all other threats. That said, dropping with all Orbitals/Eagles is also so freeing and fun, and you get to Procure-On-Site which is exciting.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Well, don't try to unlock any ship modules or strategems right now because the servers just ate my resources and didn't unlock them.

Also rolled back my warbonds by one mission.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSesmlxKeGA

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

I play this in my car while dropping the kids off at school now.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Longpig Bard posted:

Do I meet hot goons that want to dive into bushes on the Marvelous discord?

Yeah it's the main one being advertised atleast in the op. There's a group in the dark/vermintide discord but no reason to join just for that probably.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

priznat posted:

I play this in my car while dropping the kids off at school now.

That's a fitting scenario honestly lol, traffic is the worst at those hours.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Ulio posted:

That's a fitting scenario honestly lol, traffic is the worst at those hours.

Gets them all pumped to tumble out and go do some managed democracy learning!

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

The "stuck blank loading screen until someone force quits" after a mission is becoming frustratingly common for me

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

the full version is on the composer's channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5hCkh2AH58

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Its a little baffling how scout walkers are classed as vehicles frankly. The EAT video shows you shooting them with it and the spear locks on to them for some fool reason.

The role of the Spear is being able to easily dunk factories, cannon turrets, etc. at long range. But it doesn't dunk some things quite easily enough and right now it is simply too unreliable. Note 'missing chargers' isn't really a problem - this is usually gonna be from people shooting at minimum range and the charger zooming

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

LuiCypher posted:

It's almost like there isn't one universal loadout/weapon that is the most effective at everything in this game. There might, in fact, be weapons/stratagems that are better against bots than they are against bugs and vice-versa.

Pretty ballsy for the devs to do that, huh?

Edit: You can certainly make the argument that there are weapons/stratagems that are universally bad (e.g., Ballistic Shield). But the Scorcher ain't one of them, as it is one of the better primary selections against bots (while being one of the worst against bugs).

Way to be a patronizing rear end in a top hat, but I'll bite.

The diligence fills the role of single shot primary just as well without the splash damage that does nothing to the enemy but can kill you if you're forced to fire at point blank.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I missed the flamethrower order but now everyone seems to have an eagle strafing run one which sure does encourage people to aggro every single patrol they see with them.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Sindai posted:

I missed the flamethrower order but now everyone seems to have an eagle strafing run one which sure does encourage people to aggro every single patrol they see with them.

THOSE PATROLS KNOW THE TASTE OF MY FREEDOM I ACCIDENTALLY LEFT CAPS LOCK ON FROM USING VOICE CHAT IN THE GAME AND BY DEMOCRACY, I WONT BE SHUTTING IT OFF FOR THIS

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Play posted:

That's how it works for me. I just keep sprinting 'backwards' in relation to the camera when I need to enter new strats. Unfortunately the other day I ran directly into an insta death hole while doing so, so there are dangers.

Safekeeping samples in the geyser away from prying enemy hands. Good battlefield improvisation, helldiver.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014
why do those geysers explode like a nuke if you grenade them anyways?

Molrok
May 30, 2011

Saraiguma posted:

why do those geysers explode like a nuke if you grenade them anyways?

:gas: pockets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Worf posted:

THOSE PATROLS KNOW THE TASTE OF MY FREEDOM I ACCIDENTALLY LEFT CAPS LOCK ON FROM USING VOICE CHAT IN THE GAME AND BY DEMOCRACY, I WONT BE SHUTTING IT OFF FOR THIS

I dont remember posting this but i clearly did.