Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think it comes down to the fact that they had a patreon, and also are emulating a current system. Has Nintendo ever gone after Cemu or Dolphin? Maybe it wasn't as big of a priority since the Wii and WiiU are such unique systems that you're getting a watered down experience if you emulate, and the switch is pretty much a bog standard console for most games. I think it mostly comes down to the fact that the Yuzu people were taking money for it. Nintendo seems to look the other way up until the point that someone receives money when it should have gone to Nintendo. There are all those homebrew websites that tell you exactly how to hack every Nintendo system, but they don't take in any money for it, so Nintendo looks the other way. Team Xecuter made money off Switch mod chips and the guy went to jail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Cyrano4747 posted:

That's a major upside, Nintendo's argument was basically that emulation in any form is illegal.

Technically precedent has already been set with Sony vs. Bleem.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Cojawfee posted:

I think it comes down to the fact that they had a patreon, and also are emulating a current system. Has Nintendo ever gone after Cemu or Dolphin? Maybe it wasn't as big of a priority since the Wii and WiiU are such unique systems that you're getting a watered down experience if you emulate, and the switch is pretty much a bog standard console for most games. I think it mostly comes down to the fact that the Yuzu people were taking money for it. Nintendo seems to look the other way up until the point that someone receives money when it should have gone to Nintendo. There are all those homebrew websites that tell you exactly how to hack every Nintendo system, but they don't take in any money for it, so Nintendo looks the other way. Team Xecuter made money off Switch mod chips and the guy went to jail.

Nintendo very much does not look the other way if you're not taking money. See the way they nuked the fan-made Pokemon: Uranium.

Their stance is that you are only buying a license to play THAT copy of the game on specifically their hardware. Emphasis on "that" because they also hold that rom dumping for archival purposes is infringement as well.

From the Nintendo legal FAQ:

quote:

But cant I make a backup copy if I own the video game?

You may be thinking of the backup/archival exception under the U.S. Copyright Act. There is some misinformation on the Internet regarding this backup/archival exception. This is a very narrow limitation that extends to computer software. Video games are comprised of numerous types of copyrighted works and should not be categorized as software only. Therefore, provisions that pertain to backup copies would not apply to copyrighted video game works and specifically ROM downloads, that are typically unauthorized and infringing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Cyrano4747 posted:

That's a major upside, Nintendo's argument was basically that emulation in any form is illegal.

This has always been their stance, but they tend to save the actual lawsuits for the people making money off it. They blocked Dolphin from being on Steam but they've never gone after them otherwise. Neither have they gone after Cemu or any of the other older emulators even before Bleem.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nintendo could have avoided all this by not coasting on 2015 android phone hardware.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Detective No. 27 posted:

It sucks rear end. I guess the silver lining is that it didn’t give Nintendo a chance to set any legal precedent against emulation as a whole.

What made Yuzu different from Ryujinx?

Edit: fixed a weird autocorrect.

Yuzu was keeping nightly builds locked behind a patreon subscription and those builds could have fixes for unreleased games among other stuff where they supposedly had poor opsec and may have been seen in discord chat by Nintendo lawyers showing people how to go and find prod keys.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Nintendo very much does not look the other way if you're not taking money. See the way they nuked the fan-made Pokemon: Uranium.

Their stance is that you are only buying a license to play THAT copy of the game on specifically their hardware. Emphasis on "that" because they also hold that rom dumping for archival purposes is infringement as well.

From the Nintendo legal FAQ:

That's a fan game, not an emulator. And it is directly using their IP. Emulators are usually careful that they do not include any cryptographic keys or BIOS files or anything that is explicitly owned by Nintendo. Emulators also try to be on the right side of the law as possible by saying you need to extract the BIOS files from your own console and only play your own legally created game backups. Yuzu probably would have been fine if they didn't have that patreon.

I think that emulator that was trying to get on steam was taken down because they were including cryptographic keys. Though trying to put an emulator on steam is just asking for a bunch of idiots to flood the discussion boards with "HOW DO I PIRATE GAMES" posts that is just going to get Valve in trouble.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Cojawfee posted:

That's a fan game, not an emulator. And it is directly using their IP. Emulators are usually careful that they do not include any cryptographic keys or BIOS files or anything that is explicitly owned by Nintendo. Emulators also try to be on the right side of the law as possible by saying you need to extract the BIOS files from your own console and only play your own legally created game backups. Yuzu probably would have been fine if they didn't have that patreon.

I think that emulator that was trying to get on steam was taken down because they were including cryptographic keys. Though trying to put an emulator on steam is just asking for a bunch of idiots to flood the discussion boards with "HOW DO I PIRATE GAMES" posts that is just going to get Valve in trouble.

I mean, OK, but look at the part I quoted from their legal faq where they flat out say that making a backup of your game is illegal. "Video games are comprised of numerous types of copyrighted works and should not be categorized as software only. Therefore, provisions that pertain to backup copies would not apply to copyrighted video game works"

Their stance is that doing anything but playing the single copy you purchased on hardware you purchased from them is illegal. Not against the terms that you clicked through, illegal.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

MagusDraco posted:

Yuzu was keeping nightly builds locked behind a patreon subscription and those builds could have fixes for unreleased games among other stuff where they supposedly had poor opsec and may have been seen in discord chat by Nintendo lawyers showing people how to go and find prod keys.

fwiw i was paying attention when totk released and the patreon builds were a) still developed in public so people made their own builds b) not kept back all that long and c) did not have fixes for unreleased games (this was also true with XC3)

Shadski
Jun 1, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Man disabling the dynamic rez on FF7r really helps

Too bad Im playing FF14 now which runs like a drat dream.

How do you disable it? I'm assuming that's whats making the image look soft

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Looks like Citra (3DS emulator) is going down too. I'm not sure what was their relation with the Yuzu devs.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

BoldFace posted:

Looks like Citra (3DS emulator) is going down too. I'm not sure what was their relation with the Yuzu devs.

THAT is some fuckin bullshit too what the gently caress

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean, OK, but look at the part I quoted from their legal faq where they flat out say that making a backup of your game is illegal. "Video games are comprised of numerous types of copyrighted works and should not be categorized as software only. Therefore, provisions that pertain to backup copies would not apply to copyrighted video game works"

Their stance is that doing anything but playing the single copy you purchased on hardware you purchased from them is illegal. Not against the terms that you clicked through, illegal.

Yeah, Nintendo says that because they don't want people doing anything other than playing Nintendo games on Nintendo consoles. And if their statement were the full truth, I'm sure they would have used that to remove all of their games from the internet archive by now, but I'm pretty sure they lost that fight. So I think the "video games are not software" argument is mostly their legal opinion that they state as fact on their own website.

I'm not saying that Nintendo is fully onboard with legal emulation, when they are clearly against it (even though they use the fruits of "illegal" emulation to do their own emulation). I'm just saying that Nintendo doesn't have the time to go after everyone. If you make an emulator that doesn't explicitly distribute data they own, and doesn't distribute their games, they are willing to mostly ignore it. The vast majority of their market is not using Dolphin or Cemu or Yuzu. But the second a dollar goes into someone else's hand that could have gone to Nintendo, they bring out the lawyers.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Shadski posted:

How do you disable it? I'm assuming that's whats making the image look soft

in theory you should be able to set the frame limit to 90 or 120fps in game, as those settings are supposed to disable the dynamic resolution

in practice what i did was just put this mod's pak into the right spot
https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasy7remake/mods/22

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

BoldFace posted:

Wow... just wow...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

BoldFace posted:

Apparently a big contributor to Yuzu is also a big contributor to Citra?

https://www.theverge.com/2024/3/4/24090482/bunnei-confirms-yuzu-is-shutting-down-and-itll-hit-nintendo-3ds-emulator-citra-too

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Yuzu is open source, right? What's to stop someone from anonymously forking it (and not leaving a Patreon money trail)?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Quixzlizx posted:

Yuzu is open source, right? What's to stop someone from anonymously forking it (and not leaving a Patreon money trail)?

Nintendo is more powerful than any open source

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Nintendo could have avoided all this by not coasting on 2015 android phone hardware.

Its the only good console this gen

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BoldFace posted:

It was managed by the same group and theyre turning everything to Nintendo

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It’s the only good console this gen

And we most likely don't have steam decks without it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

parasyte posted:

in theory you should be able to set the frame limit to 90 or 120fps in game, as those settings are supposed to disable the dynamic resolution

in practice what i did was just put this mod's pak into the right spot
https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasy7remake/mods/22

Yeah this is what I did. It runs a a pretty stable 40fps with textures high and shadows low. Looks so much better as well.

Its very simple but if you need a guide this guy explains it very well

https://youtu.be/N4lj2TabOKI?si=HSvN_zyqCU-hDAGx

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Detective No. 27 posted:

It sucks rear end. I guess the silver lining is that it didnt give Nintendo a chance to set any legal precedent against emulation as a whole.

What made Yuzu different from Ryujinx?

Edit: fixed a weird autocorrect.

According to this guy, Yuzu were literally swapping pirated roms between themselves on Discord and were referencing the actual Switch SDK.

https://twitter.com/0JMachine/status/1764707969092985085

No idea as to how accurate that is, though, but if true that is absolutely violating any sort of clean-room protections while writing the emulator. If that came up in discovery they would probably be hosed, lol.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Quixzlizx posted:

Nothing, it's going to happen after the dust settles a bit. The actual individuals involved in the settlement need to be extra careful, but there will absolutely be a new yuzu-based emulator popping up before long.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Simply don't lock anything about an emulator behind paying. Seems a pretty simple concept.

A little worried for EmuDeck, they locked their PC version behind a paywall on patreon and it included Yuzu :ohdear:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Apparently Nintendo is asking the judge to include language in the final ruling essentially destroying the modern concept of emulation, as they see any software capable of using decryption keys as inherently piracy related.

Nintendo posted:

Developing or distributing software, including Yuzu, that in its ordinary course functions only when cryptographic keys are integrated without authorization, violates the Digital Millennium Copyright Act’s prohibition on trafficking in devices that circumvent effective technological measures, because the software is primarily designed for the purpose of circumventing technological measures.

If included, that judgement could then be considered in future emulation related trials. Not technically a "precedent", but the next best thing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

When did they do that?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Downloads of the final version of Yuzu/Citra will become priceless in the coming age

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

John Wick of Dogs posted:

When did they do that?

Apparently it's part of the deal they struck with the Yuzu devs, who have also signed onto that statement.

It's referenced in this article by The Verge, which also includes the proposed settlement terms at the end.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

jokes posted:

Simply don't lock anything about an emulator behind paying. Seems a pretty simple concept.

A little worried for EmuDeck, they locked their PC version behind a paywall on patreon and it included Yuzu :ohdear:

EmuDeck is just a set of tools to download emulators, they're not actually developing emulation tools themselves(they did just remove Yuzu and Citra from their packs though)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

lol

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Annath posted:

Apparently Nintendo is asking the judge to include language in the final ruling essentially destroying the modern concept of emulation, as they see any software capable of using decryption keys as inherently piracy related.
What's kind of silly about this to me is that emulators don't really need cryptographic keys in order to operate. I mean, sure, they do in their current forms but that's because they're faithful to the behavior of the cryptosystems used by the original hardware.

There's no real reason that an XCI dumper couldn't generate decrypted dumps and emulators just, use those. GodMode9 can already do this with CCIs. I mean, yes, there's devils in the details here, but if this is the thing that's hanging up modern emulation then let's move beyond that. As long as the original hardware is used to produce dumps in the first place, then dumps could be made that no longer contain DRM.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So I'm guessing I jumped on the Yuzu bandwagon at just the right time. Which is a shame, because I actually did want to use it for playing my actual switch games without carrying around both systems.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Annath posted:

If included, that judgement could then be considered in future emulation related trials. Not technically a "precedent", but the next best thing.

I'm not sure if it's possible at the moment, but the EFF/similar will have to challenge them on court about that bullshit sooner than later. You give those corps a hand and they will grab the whole bloody arm, the fuckers.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I was sitting on a modchip for my switch until the console was dead and I could do whatever I wanted with it but Nintendo waving their big legal dick around over some of the tools that existed on github last year prompted me to install it before all those resources potentially got nuked.

Hopefully a settlement here means they just go back to leaving everything else alone rather than deciding now is the time to really clean house.

gently caress you Nintendo (but also you do make the only console truly 100% worth actually buying since you have actual exclusives).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

just buy the games lol

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nalin posted:

According to this guy, Yuzu were literally swapping pirated roms between themselves on Discord and were referencing the actual Switch SDK.

https://twitter.com/0JMachine/status/1764707969092985085

No idea as to how accurate that is, though, but if true that is absolutely violating any sort of clean-room protections while writing the emulator. If that came up in discovery they would probably be hosed, lol.

clean room isn't necessary, connectix repeatedly made copies of the playstation BIOS and used that to write their compatible replacement in Virtual Game Station, and they won on that count

using pirated copies of the sdk is uh, a step farther and not covered by existing case law. passing copies of roms around engineers is maybe suspect but i don't think that far out of fair use protection as far as yuzu, though it could open up the developers to their own liability for that infringement

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

just buy the games lol

I do, which is why I was waiting until the console was dead for a potential future where switch 2 isnt BC and eventually the games arent readily available at retail so I could still play whatever if I wanted.

The only thing Ive actually played since I installed it was TOTK and I bought that with one of those 2 game eshop voucher things, one half of which I still havent spent and might even have expired by now if thats a thing they can do lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
This is especially annoying though, Nintendo for years has claimed their aggressive stance on their IP's was a result of the shovelware gaming crash of the 1980's. And for better or worse, they protected their IP for years and were incredibly selective with the games they allowed on their systems.
Now, boot up the Nintendo store and tell me 90% of those games aren't the definition of "shovelware". It's horseshit (and I don't particularly care about emulating Switch, I still buy all of the games I like from Nintendo and even subscribe to their lovely emulator service despite not touching it since I got my OLEDeck.