Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can't test it right now but I read that game difficulty apparently affects Fort Condor? Supposedly if you turn the game down to Easy your ATB in Fort Condor charges ridiculously quickly and you can steamroll. Anyone still struggling with Fort Condor want to try that out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Nelson Mandingo posted:

At the top right is the "rock paper scissors" graph that explains what unit counters what.

I knew that, what I didn’t understand is that id put an enforcer down to block one lane while I focused on something else, and sometimes it would last long enough that I could focus on the other lane long enough to make progress, and then on the next attempt, against the same enemies it would just instantly die.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Arist posted:

This theme song for Gus fucks
It sounds a lot like Atomic Dog. It must have taken a lot of effort for something you only hear for a minute.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3BCzkJcj_w

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Honestly it bothers me a lot that more people aren't more critical of the mini games. It's cool that they tried to go for the variety and the spirit of the original but nobody making them seems to understand that the minigames they made suck rear end. Not necessarily in concept (sometimes in concept, like the new crunch gym) but just like, the specific quantified goals that they ask you to meet, and that there are various levers all trying to get you to want to do them, are engineered to produce misery. One of the reasons people actually liked the minigames from VII was that very little really extrinsically compelled you to complete any of them beyond muddling through once as part of the plot so they kinda automatically self select players who don't hate them, and therefore the fact that they were jank to the extreme didn't matter.

Take Glide de Chocobo as an example. Concept: fine! Gliding is cool. Going through a little course, cool. Going through rings and racking up points; fine. But the controls suck, as far as I can tell you can't invert up and down for gliding (unless it is tied to the main game camera, which would suck even more), diving and pulling up doesn't seem to work reliably and probably has some kind of logic to it but you're left to guess exactly how long it takes and how close to the ground you can get before you can pull up, it asks you to get perfect scores, and the courses are just long enough that you fail at the end when the actual difficult thing that is the point of the course and that you are supposed to learn throws you and on the way back you are bored out of your skull basically waiting for the start of the course to pass by so you can retry the thing you actually failed at but you lose focus when arriving and thus enter into a recursive feedback loop of boredom
and frustration. All of this together produces misery, and the telltale bang to rights sign of a loving awfully designed segment: invariably, the feeling of a player who attains the max rank is "thank gently caress I never have to do that again". This is how it is for most games I've found. A special shout out to the many many times the game makes you think this and then surprises you with another, even harder version.

Fortunately, the critical path permits you to pass only some games with only the minimum passing score where applicable and if you don't have completionist brain damage like I do you can ignore them. However; the game really really really wants you to do them all. It keeps trying to pull you back. Every time you say, I love this game, I want to engage with it more, it directs you back to them. And the things it asks you to do will make you miserable. The only minigames I haven't hated were the ones that I happened to find easy enough to demolish in a few tries, like the pirate shooting thing, although that's mostly just luck that it happened to be a thing I could get to grips with easily.

It's only the minigames I think this about. The combat is loving incredible and I want to do more of it in more variations (not that there isn't the occasional clunker, like the abominable VR mission with the mindflayer I was complaining about earlier). Even the card game which I came in expecting to hate won me over and I want to play more of it. Every side quest leads to some kind of treat, the mission with the dog was conceptually extremely dull but give me a pop banger variably mixed into some fights and some lovely character dialogue and suddenly it's a highlight. This is how games should make you feel, like you want to go again, like you'll go again even when you've finished everything just for the fun of it. Not happy that you can dispense with it forever.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I’ve enjoyed almost all of the mini games so far :shrug:
The dolphin jumping sucked rear end in the original and that was mandatory

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Crystal Lake Witch posted:

I knew that, what I didn’t understand is that id put an enforcer down to block one lane while I focused on something else, and sometimes it would last long enough that I could focus on the other lane long enough to make progress, and then on the next attempt, against the same enemies it would just instantly die.

The enemy units should be fixed for each stage (maybe changing a bit depending on difficulty setting?). Exact placement and timing of when you deploy a unit can affect the outcome though, like whether or not it gets hit by an AoE from a trebuchet. The really obnoxious part was even watching a video of a clear I had to repeat the stage multiple times due to units not doing the same thing because I was off by half a second or five feet.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am not ready yet to make a judgment on the mini-games that we got in Rebirth. I have a feeling though that some I am going to love, while others I will feel were not for me.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think the only minigames I haven't liked so far is Chocobo stealth and the time attack run and wild.

Most others just approach decent but the fact its so quick and easy to restart at any point of the minigame is really great and that the only real repeated ones are certified bangers like Queens Blood and Fort Condor make them overall a great experience.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

Honestly it bothers me a lot that more people aren't more critical of the mini games. It's cool that they tried to go for the variety and the spirit of the original but nobody making them seems to understand that the minigames they made suck rear end. Not necessarily in concept (sometimes in concept, like the new crunch gym) but just like, the specific quantified goals that they ask you to meet, and that there are various levers all trying to get you to want to do them, are engineered to produce misery. One of the reasons people actually liked the minigames from VII was that very little really extrinsically compelled you to complete any of them beyond muddling through once as part of the plot so they kinda automatically self select players who don't hate them, and therefore the fact that they were jank to the extreme didn't matter.

Take Glide de Chocobo as an example. Concept: fine! Gliding is cool. Going through a little course, cool. Going through rings and racking up points; fine. But the controls suck, as far as I can tell you can't invert up and down for gliding (unless it is tied to the main game camera, which would suck even more), diving and pulling up doesn't seem to work reliably and probably has some kind of logic to it but you're left to guess exactly how long it takes and how close to the ground you can get before you can pull up, it asks you to get perfect scores, and the courses are just long enough that you fail at the end when the actual difficult thing that is the point of the course and that you are supposed to learn throws you and on the way back you are bored out of your skull basically waiting for the start of the course to pass by so you can retry the thing you actually failed at but you lose focus when arriving and thus enter into a recursive feedback loop of boredom
and frustration. All of this together produces misery, and the telltale bang to rights sign of a loving awfully designed segment: invariably, the feeling of a player who attains the max rank is "thank gently caress I never have to do that again". This is how it is for most games I've found. A special shout out to the many many times the game makes you think this and then surprises you with another, even harder version.

Fortunately, the critical path permits you to pass only some games with only the minimum passing score where applicable and if you don't have completionist brain damage like I do you can ignore them. However; the game really really really wants you to do them all. It keeps trying to pull you back. Every time you say, I love this game, I want to engage with it more, it directs you back to them. And the things it asks you to do will make you miserable. The only minigames I haven't hated were the ones that I happened to find easy enough to demolish in a few tries, like the pirate shooting thing, although that's mostly just luck that it happened to be a thing I could get to grips with easily.

It's only the minigames I think this about. The combat is loving incredible and I want to do more of it in more variations (not that there isn't the occasional clunker, like the abominable VR mission with the mindflayer I was complaining about earlier). Even the card game which I came in expecting to hate won me over and I want to play more of it. Every side quest leads to some kind of treat, the mission with the dog was conceptually extremely dull but give me a pop banger variably mixed into some fights and some lovely character dialogue and suddenly it's a highlight. This is how games should make you feel, like you want to go again, like you'll go again even when you've finished everything just for the fun of it. Not happy that you can dispense with it forever.

I like most of the minigames, but I also didn't seem to have the trouble you're having. The Chocobo Gliding has like one set path you need to do and puts markers exactly where you need to do things. Even the ones I disliked were over very quickly. More to the point I think the disposable minigames are genuinely better than the similar ones in FF7. Honestly I'd say by and large they have some of the best executed minigames in the series.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 4, 2024

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I don't have an issue with having a ton of mini games in concept, though the way they're implemented does kind of make the game's pace more like "what even is pacing, anyway?"

It would be nice if more of them were 100% optional though.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Thundarr posted:

The enemy units should be fixed for each stage (maybe changing a bit depending on difficulty setting?). Exact placement and timing of when you deploy a unit can affect the outcome though, like whether or not it gets hit by an AoE from a trebuchet. The really obnoxious part was even watching a video of a clear I had to repeat the stage multiple times due to units not doing the same thing because I was off by half a second or five feet.

Yeah, I think that’s what was throwing me off.

It’s a shame, if it had felt a little more consistent I don’t think I’d have found it nearly as frustrating, and I’d actually consider trying a hard match, but this way I don’t think I can be bothered

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Like honestly:

I think FF7R's minigames are better than Infinite Wealth's, and I liked Infinite Wealth's. I think they're largely better executed and even when they're not they are over a lot quicker. I think the only one I absolutely fell off on is the Piano minigame which does feel needlessly harsh, but I blame that on myself and not the game considering people seem to have no problem composing whole drat songs using the interface. Generally if I ran into an issue in a minigame in FF7R it was because of a problem with my own skills or misunderstanding a mechanic and once I adapted they were pretty clear. Even then a ton of them have ways to easily cheese them. (Like how punch-out in the Gold Saucer can be cheated by simply pausing every time the enemy pulls their fist back.) They made a nice diversion and I often times felt sad there weren't more developed ones. I'd love to see, for example, Gears and Gambits made into something more because it actually has a better designed Gambit system than FF12 does.

Maybe it's because I've played a lot of FF games but when I think "no, gently caress YOU" minigames I think stuff like the Thunder Plains or the original FF7 boxing game which was loving trash or the jump rope contest in FF9 where you needed to do 1,000 loving jumps for the final prize. The FF7R stuff is, at worst, "well, that was just ok."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 4, 2024

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Yeah, the mini games in this are both faster and better than pretty much 99% of other games' mini games. There does seem to be possibly way way too many chocobo racing levels though.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I had a huge smile on my face when yesterday I played through the entirety of Junon. What a wonderful setpiece from start to finish.

But it's real dastardly of them to follow it up with a Queen's Blood tournament. I had work this morning, I can't be staying up until 1am sending Chadley to the Shadow Realm!

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
I legit want a full game of the piano simulator

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Yakuza games have the thing where they often push you to farm the minigames for whatever currency, and I really appreciate that being mostly absent in this (except for kinda gold saucer points, where you at least have a ton of options and if you dabble in them all you'll probably have plenty).

Even if you don't vibe with a minigame the vast majority are one and dones at least

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
It sorta reminds me of Nier where pretty much the moment a minigame wears out its welcome it's over.

A lot of the games highs really carry it past the dips caused by minigames.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I will grant that many of the minigames are indeed over quickly and it is nice when they are over quickly.

But I might venture that it's not a good thing when it's nice that minigames are over quickly? I don't think that's a thing that you think about something that's good?

I think what's telling is that everyone basically either says "yeah I beat this one easily" or "oh my god this one sucks so much". Like I said, I beat the pirate shooting one easily. It sucked, however. Same for Red Football.

I would forgive this - all of this, every shred - is nothing in the game ever presumed to introduce a compulsion to beat these things. A good measure of the misery comes because I decided I eventually want the Platinum and I know that eventually I will need to complete all them. That's the fucker here. For a lot of people, the rational option of simply disengaging will win out.

I would never make this complaint about FFIX's jump rope because no single atom of FFIX treated the jump rope king key item as anything other than a joke.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I like most of the minigames, but I also didn't seem to have the trouble you're having. The Chocobo Gliding has like one set path you need to do and puts markers exactly where you need to do things. Even the ones I disliked were over very quickly. More to the point I think the disposable minigames are genuinely better than the similar ones in FF7. Honestly I'd say by and large they have some of the best executed minigames in the series.

Do you know if there is a way to do the mine cart one again without replaying the whole chapter its in?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I just want to say on a character level, I love what a little poo poo gremlin they've turned Elena into compared to how she was in the original game. Pairing her off with Rude for most of the game is the perfect choice because he's now like this exasperated single dad who has to keep this tiny destructive goblin on something resembling a leash. She is a very worthy replacement for Reno in the Turks dynamic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Do you know if there is a way to do the mine cart one again without replaying the whole chapter its in?

Sadly I don't think so but you need to do it twice to get all the happiness points both participants anyway/get the bonus for Hard Mode boss fight, so you might as well make a save beforehand and just reload if you need to.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Harrow posted:

I can't test it right now but I read that game difficulty apparently affects Fort Condor? Supposedly if you turn the game down to Easy your ATB in Fort Condor charges ridiculously quickly and you can steamroll. Anyone still struggling with Fort Condor want to try that out?

This is true. I set the game difficulty to easy while doing Fort Condor(Hard), and was able to finish them in half the time.
Also putting trebuchets where they can pelt the boss ASAP does a lot of work while your other units are keeping the enemy's busy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

I just want to say on a character level, I love what a little poo poo gremlin they've turned Elena into compared to how she was in the original game. Pairing her off with Rude for most of the game is the perfect choice because he's now like this exasperated single dad who has to keep this tiny destructive goblin on something resembling a leash. She is a very worthy replacement for Reno in the Turks dynamic.

Elena being this horrible little goblin of a person is delightful and gives her a much better dynamic with the Turks. I also enjoy the fact that she is both terrifyingly dangerous and also a complete fuckup who you can make run off cliffs.

Honestly like a part of me would gladly play a DLC where you had a team of just the Turks.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

the soccer minigame is really easy, you just need to know that pressing R2 twice lets dash faster

If you did the spin that lifted the ball you could shoot it in every single time with no blocking, that game was insanely easy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is there a god drat magnify materia in this game or what

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Just sit closer to the screen

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

ImpAtom posted:

The Chocobo Gliding has like one set path you need to do and puts markers exactly where you need to do things.

Everything to the left of the "and"; correct, bang on, you are right.

The rest of this sentence; I mean, to begin with, the markers move so we're on the ropes from the get go. You are expected to dive at particular points in 3D space which you have to feel out based on memory because you don't get a clear indication of what your actual angle is or how quickly you can dive into it, or any real control over the camera to give yourself any idea of such. The camera does not allow you to look down before you dive or up while you are ascending. Many of the dives have to be pulled out of just right and then the resulting ascents themselves have to be cancelled just right, after which you might have to remember that there's a ring you can't see anymore to the right. And always, always, any time you fail, it takes a minute of running through your rote memorised route before you get to retry the only thing you actually failed at. Maybe the trajectories you intuit are the correct ones. That sounds like it would be helpful. Maybe it takes one try, or a few, or a lot, but for however many it is, every one after the third or so will be infuriating.

Unless you just disengage completely.

Kosume Shezaki
Feb 23, 2006
The controls for the motorcycle game in gold saucer really ess with me, I don't feel like I can turn with any kind of precision even when braking. I don't know if theres something I'm missing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Elena being this horrible little goblin of a person is delightful and gives her a much better dynamic with the Turks. I also enjoy the fact that she is both terrifyingly dangerous and also a complete fuckup who you can make run off cliffs.

Honestly like a part of me would gladly play a DLC where you had a team of just the Turks.

I'm reminded of the scene in Advent Children Complete where she swoops in to save Reno and Rude from their helicopter crash antics and thinking that if they remade Advent Children today, 7R Elena would be an active participant in Reno and Rude's crimes against aviation during that chase scene :allears:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Probably not what you're looking to hear but maybe you just need to take a break and come back later when you're fresh. The minigame that took me the longest was the stupid fall guys frog one, but I'm not claiming that it was because it was hard or badly designed for what it was, I was just fuckin tired from 8 hours of gorging on this insane game

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
What I'm looking to hear is exactly what you're supposed to do on the last dive of the third course. I have the entire rest of that course muscle memorised but it does not seem according to my understanding of anything to be possible to hit that last low ring and then get enough air to make it to the last pair of rings.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fedule posted:

I think what's telling is that everyone basically either says "yeah I beat this one easily" or "oh my god this one sucks so much". Like I said, I beat the pirate shooting one easily. It sucked, however. Same for Red Football.

i had to try multiple times for the pirate shooting one but I enjoyed it

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

(Upper Junon spoilers) Andrea would be disappointed in me. I missed a few notes in two of the difficult formations. I'm a disgrace.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Jimbot posted:

(Upper Junon spoilers) Andrea would be disappointed in me. I missed a few notes in two of the difficult formations. I'm a disgrace.

send this man a bomb!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

What I'm looking to hear is exactly what you're supposed to do on the last dive of the third course. I have the entire rest of that course muscle memorised but it does not seem according to my understanding of anything to be possible to hit that last low ring and then get enough air to make it to the last pair of rings.

You dive through the two rings and pull up basically as soon as you're through the second ring. Make sure you don't accidentally break or anything when pulling up and you'll hit the third ring, and from there you shouldn't hit anything but left/right and glide slowly over towards the remaining two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG4AGX_gx0g&t=288s

It might help to look at a video and visualize what you need to do.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy poo poo, the trial of Red XIII is upsetting :stonk:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Monday/Tuesday is my weekend and I played all from the end of Junon to Mt. Corel and all I can say is this game is filling me with joy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

Holy poo poo, the trial of Red XIII is upsetting :stonk:

I am incredibly looking forward to beating the poo poo out of Hojo in Part 3.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
This new Red XIII voice is... sounding pretty grating. Like I get the idea behind it, he's really a 48-year-old dweeby kid who's been putting on a front for respect, but this is leaning way too hard into the veer to the point of obnoxiousness. It doesn't help that it sounds pretty similar to that annoying gently caress Chadley's voice. Besides the exaggeratedly young quality of the voice itself, I'm also getting some whiplash from the complete shift in tone and diction of his lines -- they're very suddenly just, really casual and basic compared to the style of speaking he had before, and it's a disconcertingly abrupt break, even with the little mask-offs here and there beforehand of "real" Red. The intention was for a more authentic version of the character, but for me it's having the exact opposite effect.

What they've done with Bugenhagen and the Planetologists is pretty fun though. They always struck me as cultish in the original FF7, and ramping that up here without making it completely over the top is some good direction.

Hiveminded fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Mar 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
you should spoiler that post