Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

jokes posted:

Simply don't lock anything about an emulator behind paying. Seems a pretty simple concept.

It’s been posted a bunch, but this wasn’t the issue. Boxed copies of Bleem! were sold in retail stores and the judge ruled in their favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

DildenAnders posted:

This is especially annoying though, Nintendo for years has claimed their aggressive stance on their IP's was a result of the shovelware gaming crash of the 1980's. And for better or worse, they protected their IP for years and were incredibly selective with the games they allowed on their systems.
Now, boot up the Nintendo store and tell me 90% of those games aren't the definition of "shovelware". It's horseshit (and I don't particularly care about emulating Switch, I still buy all of the games I like from Nintendo and even subscribe to their lovely emulator service despite not touching it since I got my OLEDeck.

All you have to do is make one decent game and convince them to let it on the eshop. Then you can dump as much poo poo on there as you want.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

BoldFace posted:

Looks like Citra (3DS emulator) is going down too. I'm not sure what was their relation with the Yuzu devs.

Although in this case there was a clear point of connection on the development teams for both emulators, I'm sure for Nintendo the potential chilling effect on other emulators every time they sic the lawyers on somebody is an intentional part of the strategy.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Just checked, DRG:S is working fine for me on the latest update.

I stand this a minute ago but after ten run it's like huh, this is indeed a bit shallow. I'm gonna give a t-down. U-turn.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Has anyone else had an issue using the dock with your steam deck not connecting to your TV? My only fix is to unplug the power source from the dock and plug it back in. That seems to usually get it to start posting to the TV. It's kind of annoying though and I haven't been able to figure out a way to fix this.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

All you have to do is make one decent game and convince them to let it on the eshop. Then you can dump as much poo poo on there as you want.

ubisoft making rabbids xcom: :hehe:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Has anyone else had an issue using the dock with your steam deck not connecting to your TV? My only fix is to unplug the power source from the dock and plug it back in. That seems to usually get it to start posting to the TV. It's kind of annoying though and I haven't been able to figure out a way to fix this.

I had that problem with my parent's TV and I found no solution. I even Googled the problem extensively and looked around and nobody else had found a solution either. Just lots of old posts from people complaining that it wasn't working and Valve doing nothing (as usual) to fix it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I've seen theories that its something to do with HDMI handshaking loving up, which makes sense to me since my Retrotink sometimes does the same thing and just doesn't acknowledge it's connected to a TV until it's hard powered off.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Connecting to my TV is like a five minute struggle, i don't think I've seen something less reliable or intuitive in many a year. You just have to turn everything off and on and hope that the stars align. I'm using a Microsoft dock I had lying around that otherwise works flawlessly with everything so it's definitely a problem with the Deck.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I had that exact problem. It's a thing on certain models of TVs and it has to do with certain implementations of Auto-Detect HDMI, I think?? Anyway, AFAICT, there's no solution. I ended up buying a new TV of an entirely different model and it works perfectly now. :shrug:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Are they all Samsung TVs because Samsung TVs are somehow loving terrible at HDMI

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

Are they all Samsung TVs because Samsung TVs are somehow loving terrible at HDMI

big time.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

I use an Anker USB c hub with HDMI that works 100% of the time.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Looks like my policy of never giving Nintendo money is once again proved correct.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You’re missing out on some great games!

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You’re missing out on some great games!

you can play tetris for free on tetris.com

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I used to have the random HDMI handshaking issue that required me to unplug / replug power to the dock on my LG, but that's gone now for no reason I can figure out. Instead I have an issue where if I restart the Deck while docked it will randomly refuse to detect the dock at all (no AV out, no ethernet connection, no power) and I'll need to restart it again to make it happy.

Also big lol at the yuzu settlement. There are arguments to be made about game preservation but this was so clearly not what was going on here, to the extent that I'm relieved they didn't fight it in court and end up with a judgement that declared everyone who's ever downloaded emudeck to be a turbocriminal.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Party Boat posted:

Also big lol at the yuzu settlement. There are arguments to be made about game preservation but this was so clearly not what was going on here, to the extent that I'm relieved they didn't fight it in court and end up with a judgement that declared everyone who's ever downloaded emudeck to be a turbocriminal.

Yeah this is a decent outcome and it's ultimately irrelevant what happened to Yuzu, since the whole thing was open source and there's already a feeding frenzy of groups taking up the project. Some Discord dickholes forfeit their Patreon funds and the world moves on.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

My dock works almost instantly if I'm in Desktop mode. It's the handheld mode that takes forever, doesn't work at all, or fucks up the resolution of the games when I launch them

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Mine is and it indeed sucks.

I am a hair away from getting an LG OLED.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
LG was the one that had me down on the floor yelling at wires. Their smart tv garbage continues to get worse. 🙃

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Rolo posted:

Mine is and it indeed sucks.

I am a hair away from getting an LG OLED.

I am honestly surprised at how well my lovely TCL 4k works with the deck compared to the other more expensive brands. I had planned on buying a new TV within a year but see no need.

Anyone know if the deck works well with any type of cheap mini projector?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

loving Moron posted:

I am honestly surprised at how well my lovely TCL 4k works with the deck compared to the other more expensive brands. I had planned on buying a new TV within a year but see no need.

Anyone know if the deck works well with any type of cheap mini projector?

Dunno about cheap mini projector but I did connect mine to a friend’s decade old professional projector he got at some estate sale with no issues. Projectors are neat. The latency is pretty minimal since the picture is tiny.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

wizard2 posted:

LG was the one that had me down on the floor yelling at wires. Their smart tv garbage continues to get worse. 🙃

I got a new LG TV and it kept auto activating its own voice control while offline except it would just go to an error screen because it was offline. It was impossible to turn off the voice control wake word while offline.

Absolutely bizarre.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I hope my current LG TV from 4-5 years ago takes a long time to die because the current one's OS and "smart" features seem awful.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have a 2020 LG OLED and it's perfect and beautiful and I let it go onto the internet only once. I absolutely hate "Smart TV" poo poo.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I have never had an issue with smart features on a tv is this another one of those Only In America things like how the startup screen for a US PS5 is a mandatory wall of ads or something?

The worst that has ever happened to me is someone’s accidentally pressed one of the giant streaming service buttons on the remote and I have to wait 30 seconds for the mobile phone chipset in the tv to do its thing starting up the app before I can exit it and go back to doing whatever.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I have a super cheap smart TV from like 2016. It's only 1080p LCD, and it's so old that it can't really keep up with the actual apps (it tends to crash trying to run Netflix/Plex :v:), so I bought a Chromecast, but the actual TV part works fine.

I really wish I could just buy a nice OLED TV without any smart bits.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

The worst that has ever happened to me is someone’s accidentally pressed one of the giant streaming service buttons on the remote and I have to wait 30 seconds for the mobile phone chipset in the tv to do its thing

when you press a button you have to wait 30 seconds for the lovely hardware to respond, and you don't see the problem?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

when you press a button you have to wait 30 seconds for the lovely hardware to respond, and you don't see the problem?

No because it happens like once every 6 months when me or my wife or the dogs accidentally hit a button? I don’t use those features so I don’t give a poo poo, and everyone who’s complaining about it sounds like they also don’t want to use those features so I don’t see why they’d ever interact with them either.

My point is I hear all these horror stories about smart TVs with a life of their own that randomly install updates so you can’t use your tv or show you a bunch of ads while you’re just trying to use your tv and all this other poo poo that gets in the way of you just using the tv, and my lived experience isn’t even remotely that.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 5, 2024

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

OK you're right. You'll never have to deal with the underpowered hardware in your device outside of once every six months when you accidentally sit on the button. Everyone else is just really angry about sitting on the button.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If “the tv is kinda slow if you try to use an app” is something actually worth considering a problem in your life then you’re blessed beyond belief because god drat who gives a poo poo.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

relax

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I have a Philips that I quite like, the home screen only shows a feed for the apps I'm logged into so it's actually reasonably useful as a quick guide for what I'm currently watching or might want to.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If “the tv is kinda slow if you try to use an app” is something actually worth considering a problem in your life then you’re blessed beyond belief because god drat who gives a poo poo.

This. 30 seconds is nothing in the grand scheme of things, and if it really bothers you that much, just use that time to go get a drink or take a piss or something. loving hell, I remember when it would take that long for the bulb on our TV to warm up enough that you could see the picture, then you would have to change the dial, and then every half hour or so have to give the TV a thump because the picture started rolling and... :corsair:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The worst thing about smart TVs is that the remotes all have those dumb shortcut buttons they were paid to put on there instead of more actually useful buttons. Hey do you want to have more than just pause and fast forward? Sorry we had to use that space to put this Rakuten TV ad on the remote instead.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I have a Philips that I quite like, the home screen only shows a feed for the apps I'm logged into so it's actually reasonably useful as a quick guide for what I'm currently watching or might want to.

Yeah mine is a Phillips, I have everything hooked up to it through an AV receiver so the only thing I need the tv remote for is the power button because HDMI-CEC is such a shitshow when you get more than one device involved it’s not worth the headache.

It basically acts just like a computer monitor would (unless someone accidentally sits on the remote to put me through 30 seconds of torment) which is what people seem to want when they say they’d prefer a TV with no smart stuff at all (because if they don’t want any smart stuff then presumably they’re also not using all the streaming service apps etc), and further compounds why I’m so mystified by all these complaints people have about their TVs doing all this wild poo poo against their will.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

I have everything hooked up to it through an AV receiver so the only thing I need the tv remote for is the power button because HDMI-CEC is such a shitshow when you get more than one device involved it’s not worth the headache....

... and further compounds why I’m so mystified by all these complaints people have about their TVs doing all this wild poo poo against their will.

the rest of don't have receivers in tyool 2024. hope this clears up the confusion

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Slow is one thing, but my Insignia literally crashes about 1 in 5 times trying to launch the Netflix app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

the rest of don't have receivers in tyool 2024. hope this clears up the confusion

I had a badass 7.1 surround sound system at my old house with speakers mounted on the walls. I bought my new house and decided to just get a Sonos Playbase instead and man I'm happy with it. My hearing has gotten lovely as I get older so that helps, but it's nice just having good sound from one unit rather than dealing with wires and cables everywhere, even if it's not a top tier sound.