Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

ShoogaSlim posted:

i respect iron maiden but i would never ever intentionally put them on. and if i went somewhere and someone else was playing them i would ask them to change it.

this is worse than the in flames bangers post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

my favorite maiden song is either charlotte the harlot or flash of the blade

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

WoodrowSkillson posted:

this is worse than the in flames bangers post

Nothing will top that.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

ShoogaSlim posted:

i respect iron maiden but i would never ever intentionally put them on. and if i went somewhere and someone else was playing them i would ask them to change it.

:frogout:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the only joyful moment i had working concert security in high school was blatantly pretending not to see a bunch of random teens trying to sneak into an Iron Maiden show

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i put on a few maiden songs just to make sure i wasn't misremembering anything. like i said i have respect for what that band has contributed to the genre and how they paved the way and all that, but when you go back that far in years you're basically looking at an almost entirely different genre of music from the slam tech grind djent metal that's around today. even stuff like hm2 death metal revival (witch vomit, gatecreeper) has a totally different vibe/feel to it.

listening to iron maiden sounds like listening to blues with more distortion and an angry opera singer. just randomly put on the song wrathchild from the killers album, and it sounds like a led zeppelin song. that's not a bad thing, it's just not my preferred style of metal and not even really what i consider "metal" by today's standards. there are some cool gallopy parts and melodic noodling going on that i kinda dig, but overall yeah i don't think it's a shock that a band from the 80s is not everyone's cup of tea. i'm just bored at work and willing to bullshit about it since it came up. sorry!!

just to see if the sound was comparable to other bands i consider more "classic rock" than "metal" i checked out a few random judas priest songs, another band i don't really care about (but still respect). this song "painkiller" is actually sick lol. immediately has more aggression and speed than iron maiden stuff i checked out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orIEI2mgHXo

vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ4Nel-aHZM

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Oh man Wrathchild is so good :black101:

Fuckin love that record. They lost me after Powerslave but the early stuff still roolz

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

ShoogaSlim posted:

just randomly put on the song wrathchild from the killers album, and it sounds like a led zeppelin song.

Lol what?

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

iron maiden like the guys who did the carmageddon 2 soundtrack i don't listen to video game music

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ShoogaSlim posted:

i put on a few maiden songs just to make sure i wasn't misremembering anything. like i said i have respect for what that band has contributed to the genre and how they paved the way and all that, but when you go back that far in years you're basically looking at an almost entirely different genre of music from the slam tech grind djent metal that's around today. even stuff like hm2 death metal revival (witch vomit, gatecreeper) has a totally different vibe/feel to it.

listening to iron maiden sounds like listening to blues with more distortion and an angry opera singer. just randomly put on the song wrathchild from the killers album, and it sounds like a led zeppelin song. that's not a bad thing, it's just not my preferred style of metal and not even really what i consider "metal" by today's standards. there are some cool gallopy parts and melodic noodling going on that i kinda dig, but overall yeah i don't think it's a shock that a band from the 80s is not everyone's cup of tea. i'm just bored at work and willing to bullshit about it since it came up. sorry!!

just to see if the sound was comparable to other bands i consider more "classic rock" than "metal" i checked out a few random judas priest songs, another band i don't really care about (but still respect). this song "painkiller" is actually sick lol. immediately has more aggression and speed than iron maiden stuff i checked out.

vs

NWOBHM was basically the result of the removal of blues elements from hard rock. To say that the quintessential band of that scene sounds like Zep is silly, and you're talking about operatic singers but picking a Di'Anno era song as your example which is weird. Yes, it is very different than the slam tech grind death of today, of course. It's 40 years old.

Painkiller is obviously awesome but it's also not really what Priest sound like. They were like 10 albums into their career and decided to try going toe to toe with the more aggressive younger bands of their day and against all odds succeeded, but it's an outlier album.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
the only judas priest song ive ever heard was in rock band or guitar hero or whatever

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

ShoogaSlim posted:

Hachi mami check out this hot take

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

ShoogaSlim posted:

I quite like Run to the Hills, but :hmmyes:

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

cherry picking painkiller to compare to wrathchild is very funny because a bunch of the judas priest catalog sounds exactly like what you're complaining about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYqKAL8NDKo

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I remember back in high school I played the Killers album for a friend who was already into the basic Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera stuff. He thought it sounded like punk and didn't like it. Shoulda known then we weren't gonna be friends much longer.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Not liking Killers is the real test of somebody's music taste.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Varg posted:

I remember back in high school I played the Killers album for a friend who was already into the basic Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera stuff. He thought it sounded like punk and didn't like it. Shoulda known then we weren't gonna be friends much longer.

dont quote me on this but iirc Paul started out as a punk singer and was dismissed partly because he didn't want IM to keep going in a more metal direction

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

ShoogaSlim posted:

vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMCd0_LGKjo

not discoursing but here's a cover i really like of wrathchild

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Southern Cassowary posted:

cherry picking painkiller to compare to wrathchild is very funny because a bunch of the judas priest catalog sounds exactly like what you're complaining about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYqKAL8NDKo

yeah ill admit it was a hasty and bad example. typically i don't like any of that stuff. i listened to other tracks on that painkiller album and they're all not my taste. that song is truly an anomaly.

anyway regardless of disagreements i still think it's cool we can go from chuck berry to iron maiden to cro mags to korn to abominable putridity and there's something along the way for everyone.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Judas Priest's new album comes out in a few days. The single "Panick Attack" reminds me a lot of "Pain Killer." I think the album is gonna rip. Also, Iron Maiden died when that third guitarist clown came onboard. He's the Yoko Ono of Iron Maiden.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Priest is more listenable these days vs Maiden.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Vintersorg posted:

Priest is more listenable these days vs Maiden.

yeah idk if this is a hot take but i'm absolutely more of a priest fan than a maiden fan

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Yo what the gently caress, can just anybody post in this thread and say stupid poo poo?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Isn't that a core principle for this entire website?

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

Oldstench posted:

Yo what the gently caress, can just anybody post in this thread and say stupid poo poo?

Have you considered investing in a good pair of earplugs????

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

moxieman posted:

Trying to imagine playing NotB and someone asking me to change it to something else.

That can't go on.
We must inform the law.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

moxieman posted:

Trying to imagine playing NotB and someone asking me to change it to something else.

Newkids on the Block

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Piss Witch posted:

iron maiden like the guys who did the carmageddon 2 soundtrack i don't listen to video game music

Yoooo my buddies and I got to be a teachers aid for our study hall period in high school for our German teacher. Instead of doing anything productive, she let us play games on her computer if we didn’t have homework. We mostly ended up playing Super Fire Pro Wrestling X or Carmageddon 2 and we were always rocking out to Man on the Edge.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 5, 2024

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

ShoogaSlim posted:

Dumb poo poo

You are the living proof that too much slam destroys your brain.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Nightfall in Middle Earth 100% all stirring bangers fromt to back

Yeah. Even the cheesy spoken interludes. Love it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

ShoogaSlim posted:

Newkids on the Block

Their new song from a couple years back loving rules, btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulJBJYie0l8

Groke posted:

Yeah. Even the cheesy spoken interludes. Love it.

The field is lost. Everything is lost! The black one has fallen from the sky, and the towers in ruins lie.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Nordick posted:

The field is lost. Everything is lost! The black one has fallen from the sky, and the towers in ruins lie.

That's the good stuff all right.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I also love Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian, wonderful bands folks! I saw all three of them live a time or two or three, yes indeed, gonna see Priest again in a couple months!

On the ever wacky subject of ranking, I also like Judas Priest even better than Maiden, I think Priest should be worshiped like the metal gods they are. They are almost too good, and it's really a miracle that we have Judas Priest in our lives.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/hideo_kojima_en/status/1764896740568973406?s=61&t=N2RxjCcZEoNL3LJNhAQ0dg

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

kalmah for death stranding 2

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

You just know he's a Mors Principium Est guy.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Kojima ftw forever

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:lol:

I don't listen to metal except some for some of the hardest poo poo out there unless he's talking about power metal then, well...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

:lol:

I don't listen to metal except some for some of the hardest poo poo out there unless he's talking about power metal then, well...

He said melodic metal so presumably it’s that or wimpy melodeath at the heaviest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Henchman of Santa posted:

He said melodic metal so presumably it’s that or wimpy melodeath at the heaviest.

oh he's absolutely just jamming sabaton over and over