Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

i am harry posted:

what’s hn?

not much, what's startup accelerator ycombinator's forum with you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

ew

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
if youre posting right now youre touching a computer :smug:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher

Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher !

Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher .

Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher Computer Toucher.

Computer Toucher!

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Conditions are building for a bank run. I sincerely doubt NYCB makes it to the end of the month.

https://twitter.com/rdd147/status/1764829120477732965

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The salt fish meltdown continues

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

SKULL.GIF posted:

Conditions are building for a bank run. I sincerely doubt NYCB makes it to the end of the month.

I'm surprise they lasted monday

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Banks are supposed to be stressed and on the verge of collapse. That's just normal economy stuff. Stop being a doomer.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
I've got a list of homeowners and computer touchers itt. When I get IK, they will be dealt with swiftly.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SKULL.GIF posted:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nycb-ballooned-despite-real-estate-000026856.html

"Three years later, the lender known for catering to New York City landlords is in serious trouble."

Ah, so it's a landlord bank. I expect a bailout to be drawn up in a week.

Though on a serious note I expect another bank will buy up their assets, kinda like Credit Suisse. Certainly isn't going to be allowed to just faceplant as if they were little people, but probably too small time to afford the political capital.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It'll just be SVB all over again: FDIC will step in for a bit to stabilize, all the major creditors will be reinbursed, most of the major clients will flee to larger banks, and then somebody will buy up the ashes. A bunch of landlords will kick and scream and cry about how they're ruined and now have no choice but to dig their boot harder into tenant necks as the government makes them 100% whole and then some ASAP.

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Seems like everyone forgot how failing banks are handled

https://x.com/cculianu/status/1636493294849990659?s=20

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

err posted:

I've got a list of homeowners and computer touchers itt. When I get IK, they will be dealt with swiftly.

give me the guillotine first plz

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

SKULL.GIF posted:

This is epidemic in the city though, nycb will never feel the heat from this particular obligation. I am the lead plaintiff in a class action for rent stabilized overcharges and my landlord has been fighting a delaying action, abetted capably by the entire political class of the state up to and including Governor Hochul, for six years now. We just refiled so reset the clock but lol at this specifically being what brings down an over leveraged bank

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Rectal Death Alert posted:

Seems like everyone forgot how failing banks are handled

https://x.com/cculianu/status/1636493294849990659?s=20

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

i am harry posted:

what’s hn?

It's a safe space for computer touchers.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

triple sulk posted:

the year is 2024 and the newest base model macbook air has 8 gigs of ram. lol. lmao. crapitalism

running low on RAM isn't really as much of a problem as it used to be - before SSDs became common you really didn't want to be going out to a page file because retrieving the data from a spinning-platter hard drive might take literal seconds, but now that most storage is running on an SSD it just isn't going to matter for anything except gaming workloads (which you wouldn't be doing on a Mac) or professional production applications (which you probably shouldn't be trying to do on a base model Macbook in the first place)

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

running low on RAM isn't really as much of a problem as it used to be - before SSDs became common you really didn't want to be going out to a page file because retrieving the data from a spinning-platter hard drive might take literal seconds, but now that most storage is running on an SSD it just isn't going to matter for anything except gaming workloads (which you wouldn't be doing on a Mac) or professional production applications (which you probably shouldn't be trying to do on a base model Macbook in the first place)

loving phones have at least 8gb and it is inexcusable for a machine running a desktop operating system to have that much brand new in 2024

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

triple sulk posted:

loving phones have at least 8gb and it is inexcusable for a machine running a desktop operating system to have that much brand new in 2024

so don't buy it sulk

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

SKULL.GIF posted:

Counterpart, the scum of the earth

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7333669428732644638

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

triple sulk posted:

I have a 2020 iPad Air with 4gb of ram and it seems fine

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

triple sulk posted:

that's not a reflection on computers having too little, that's a reflection on phones wanting that much, because an overwhelming amount of productive computing is now done on phones

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

Computer Toucher!

Man, gently caress CNC operators I say.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

gradenko_2000 posted:

that's not a reflection on computers having too little, that's a reflection on phones wanting that much, because an overwhelming amount of productive computing is now done on phones

It's more a statement on Android phone manufacturers having nothing to differentiate their products other than meaningless numbers, now that smartphones are a mature technology with little feature differentiation.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Counterpart, the scum of the earth

yeah and they're backed to the hilt by the entire government, this is some dipshit trying to piggyback on some other dipshit

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sydin posted:

It'll just be SVB all over again: FDIC will step in for a bit to stabilize, all the major creditors will be reinbursed, most of the major clients will flee to larger banks, and then somebody will buy up the ashes. A bunch of landlords will kick and scream and cry about how they're ruined and now have no choice but to dig their boot harder into tenant necks as the government makes them 100% whole and then some ASAP.

Part of what makes the NYCB situation complicated is that they already bought out another failed bank (Signature) about this time last year so now they're doubled-up on toxic assets.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

NYCB sounds like a good storyline for the week.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
also the manhattan institute is a dipshit libertarian org lol that guy is just some dipshit trader

it's just Regular Financial Crime nothing to do with the rent regulation standards or portfolio

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Clearly the only safe investments, at this the end of times, are AI and Bitcoin.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is absolute hell on your SSD. They have limited write cycles, and aren't designed to constantly load and offload data. On many Macs they are soldered to the board and cannot be replaced. Your page file should be as small as possible. Ideally 0.

Engorged Pedipalps has issued a correction as of 05:12 on Mar 5, 2024

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

This is absolute hell on your SSD. They have limited write cycles, and aren't designed to constantly load and offload data. On many Macs they are soldered to the board and cannot be replaced. Your page file should be as small as possible. Ideally 0.

i slap a new one in every five minutes like im tactical reloading an ar

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

The Oldest Man posted:

i slap a new one in every five minutes like im tactical reloading an ar

on Hell difficulty this discards whatever MTBF ur current drive has so you have to be careful

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gunshow Poophole posted:

also the manhattan institute is a dipshit libertarian org lol that guy is just some dipshit trader

it's just Regular Financial Crime nothing to do with the rent regulation standards or portfolio

The story comes from the NY Post which isn't much better but it's not really some sort of trading thing https://nypost.com/2024/03/03/opinion/viral-tiktok-highlights-the-insanity-of-nyc-rent-regulations/

It's still clear that NYCB is experiencing pressure from multiple angles

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gunshow Poophole posted:

on Hell difficulty this discards whatever MTBF ur current drive has so you have to be careful

Lol

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

SKULL.GIF posted:

The story comes from the NY Post which isn't much better but it's not really some sort of trading thing https://nypost.com/2024/03/03/opinion/viral-tiktok-highlights-the-insanity-of-nyc-rent-regulations/

It's still clear that NYCB is experiencing pressure from multiple angles

i'm just speaking to that particular angle, which is entirely fake.

everyone else who doesn't live or hasn't lived in new york is welcome to weigh in but I promise the nebulous threat of a sudden reassertion of rent regulation technicalities doesn't weigh an ounce on the balance sheet of these banks lol

... edit I used weigh twice, i'm drinking, gently caress you

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 05:23 on Mar 5, 2024

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

You're not going to hit the SSD write cycle limit doing stuff you get a cheap macbook for. That limit's pretty high for poo poo posting level of use.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

This is a Crucial commodity SATA drive that was installed on a Windows PC in 2018 and has been used as a system drive (including paging) for several years before being retired to video game use

It'll be fine. Modern SSDs aren't going to die overnight if they're used for swap.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

sorry all i hear is this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6x7fzcx5oc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

gradenko_2000 posted:

yep

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

This is a Crucial commodity SATA drive that was installed on a Windows PC in 2018 and has been used as a system drive (including paging) for several years before being retired to video game use

It'll be fine. Modern SSDs aren't going to die overnight if they're used for swap.

yep

yeah 16 is better than 8 but it's not shocking that the low end apple computer is spec'ed at "good enough for normies" level