Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Yeah, I agree with this. Given the broader context Galloway winning is probably the best outcome, but that doesn't detract from the fact that he's a deeply shady bloke with some extremely suspect opinions. Any major party candidates would almost certainly be nonentities who'd just quietly toe the line, and if I have to eat poo poo either way I'll take the guy who's going to be openly pro-palestine and anti-austerity while he's squeezing it out over the guy who's going to (at best) stay silent. That he's also going to be flinging it around and getting it all over a bunch of the worst people imaginable is a nice bonus too.

The chaos will be entertaining at least. I'm interested to see how things play out when the media try to crucify him - which they will, as an outspoken and nominally left wing voice. They certainly have more to work with than they do with Corbyn and this time some of it is actually true, but I can't imagine him adopting the same overly polite, defensive strategy.

I remember reading Caroline Lucas' book on becoming an MP and she goes into the various weird ways the commons functions day to day and I certainly don't envy him. Even things like office allocation are done in a way that very much benefits members of the bigger parties and particularly those with the right friends. She did alright because I guess as a polite Green she probably wasn't really perceived as a threat and can be quite charming, but I imagine that Georgy, being detested by almost every MP in there, is going to be working from a stationary cupboard in the bowels of the palace, probably opposite that one remote toilet the cleaners only remember about every other month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

Given the rainbow washing approach establishing the pattern I suspect the response would be "oh you don't like us bombing the puppies well hamas personally invented XL bullies to eat western children yet you support them????"

Are you saying hamas didn't invent xl bullies? What are you, some kind of t*r*st?
=====================================================
Separate topic:

Meanwhile in other news, it seems that Daniel "Is this a calendar I see before me" Hagari has not in fact resigned contrary to all the tweets yesterday about mass resignations at the top of IDF. And there was me thinking he'd been threatened by Lieutenant Friday.

Separate topic:

ThomasPaine posted:

I remember reading Caroline Lucas' book on becoming an MP and she goes into the various weird ways the commons functions day to day and I certainly don't envy him. Even things like office allocation are done in a way that very much benefits members of the bigger parties and particularly those with the right friends. She did alright because I guess as a polite Green she probably wasn't really perceived as a threat and can be quite charming, but I imagine that Georgy, being detested by almost every MP in there, is going to be working from a stationary cupboard in the bowels of the palace, probably opposite that one remote toilet the cleaners only remember about every other month.

Don't forget he's been an MP several times so is probably well aware of what goes on. Though rumour has it he wasn't seen around Westminster much.

Separate topic:

https://www.jpost.com/omg/article-789809?dicbo=v2-JITeebP

Never mind doing a genocide, the act which gets you put on trial is cooking hot dogs on the sabbath:

quote:

Two soldiers have been sentenced to 20 days in military prison after being caught warming up hot dogs in a military kitchen on Shabbat, according to a KAN11 report on Friday.

The pair were caught by a third soldier who entered the kitchen and saw them committing the act.

They were summoned to trial, where they initially denied the charges but later confessed and were sentenced to at least 20 days in prison.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 5, 2024

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Baroness Jones, "I'm deeply offended its been brought to us.. It's a mess of a bill.. It's illegal and nonsensical.. We are being asked to indulge in pointless chatter because whatever we say the government will not listen to us"
@GreenJennyJones

"And this is partly fuelled by the Labour front bench that seems to be rewriting the Salisbury convention - that we do not try to stop anything in the government's manifesto"

"In fact the Labour front benches say the Lords must not interfere with any legislation or decision by the government or the commons because they are elected and we are not. Then what is the point of the House of Lords?"

"We have centuries of experience and knowledge and we did have the opportunity to stop this foolish bill and the Labour front bench decided that we would not.. I think that's an abdication of their responsibility"

"And it grieves me that they might actually win the election and then behave in the same way as the Conservative party"

Link to tweet with video of her saying all this:

https://x.com/implausibleblog/status/1764696351655317805?s=20

(she's a Green btw)

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
It's time for this thread's favourite kind of journalism: the "help, we make £80k a year but we're poor" article: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/mar/04/middle-class-workers-mortgages-bills-tax.

quote:

An annual gross income of £74,000 puts Scott, 28, a software engineer from Leicestershire, in the top 10% of earners nationally. But, he says, it doesn’t feel that way for him and his family.

“Ten years ago we’d have been laughing with my salary. Now, it feels like our heads are barely above water. There’s an attitude that at this level of income you’ve plenty of money, but it’s not true at all,” he says.

Hmm, computer, enhance.

quote:

The couple’s mortgage uses up more than a third of Scott’s take-home pay, the family’s monthly grocery shop costs more than £500, his student loan repayments are £300 – “money I now desperately need,” he says.

Right, so that's about £2,300 of his £4,400 take home accounted for, leaving £2k for everything else. Computer, zoom in again.

quote:

“We lease a car, the cost of which has risen greatly too because of higher interest rates. After all the things I have to pay for, we’re lucky to have £300 left over for the month, which is quickly depleted by day-to-day expenses. It feels like we’ve done everything we were told to do and yet we’re still struggling,” Scott says.

Ah, there it is! No way we can buy, say, a used car instead of leasing! Lots of conspicuously unexplained gaps in these budgets where money just happens to disappear. Also, the commonly identified culprit? Those dang taxes being too high for us honest middle class earners!

Reminds me of two American colleagues of mine who both work in academia in a relatively cheap part of the country. One has a permanent lecturer position, the other isn't competitive for permanent jobs and picks up part time teaching but refuses to even look for other kinds of work. Between the two of them they make right around the same or more annually than my wife and I do. I ran into them the other day and they were complaining about how they just can't afford to stay here in the UK and are considering moving back to the US.

The kicker? They bought a £400k house, an electric SUV that must be £40k, regularly take expensive vacations--and do that all with a huge dose of financial help from their parents. Meanwhile my wife and I are doing just fine living in a house that costs less than half that amount, driving a used car that cost £4k, and taking modest vacations.

Yeah, it's that damned cost of living crisis :rolleyes:

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Mebh posted:

I'm just wondering how the chicken thighs went.
Last time I put whole chicken thighs in a slow cooker I got bone soup. Tasty, but inedibly bony.

It was fine, they were nicely falling apart so I could just pull out the bones while serving. Each thigh had one straight bone and one gristle cap - admittedly the latter were a bit of a pain to find amongst all the white veggies I had in there.

My main issue was undersalting the whole thing but we fixed that in post

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

OwlFancier posted:

It's like when you read old victorian stories about how the high society types spend all their time at "the club" which is an endless series of drawing rooms and wood paneling with the terminally affluent milling about in them because that's just what they do.

Having a brother who was at one time a member of the Reform Club I can assure you the clubs were and are incredibly effective vehicles for networking amongst toffs. It's all part of how they keep each other rich and everyone else poor

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
It's 2034. George Galloway wins a Battersea by-election with a single-issue campaign on the issues around puppy smuggling. The establishment, stunned and afraid, sends the PM out to the podium holding a kitten. Teachers have to pay to build their own schools. A Kit-Kat costs £15 on the black market.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The twist: George Galloway is the PM.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Why does anyone want to ban puppy snuggling? Weird freaks.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Guavanaut posted:

New conspiracy theory, queens's not dead, she just phased invisible into the UV part of the spectrum so we can't see her.

Whenever Charles thinks he's sitting on one of the monarch chairs he's actually sitting on the queen, who is now oscillating around soft X-ray frequency.

This is what caused his arse cancer.
Charles will join his mother in the ex-rey spectrum very shortly

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Actually..... this is a ton more likely to work with those who either don't want to think about Israel/Palestine or who just respond with 'they're all the same why are we even bothered about a foreign land 3000 miles away none of our business etc' or are in the 'can't we all just get along' crowd.
Ah, the current UK position on South Sudan and the Burma crisis. And the forthcoming war in Guyana.

MeinPanzer posted:

Yeah, it's that damned cost of living crisis :rolleyes:
A software engineer from Leicestershire on how loving much???
I'd be dead from a cocaine induced myocardial infarction on that amount.

domhal posted:

It's 2034. George Galloway wins a Battersea by-election with a single-issue campaign on the issues around puppy smuggling. The establishment, stunned and afraid, sends the PM out to the podium holding a kitten. Teachers have to pay to build their own schools. A Kit-Kat costs £15 on the black market.
:discourse:

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

keep punching joe posted:

Why does anyone want to ban puppy snuggling? Weird freaks.

It's quite often non-consensual. Just ask my two kittens.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

domhal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYdsNeRoShA

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

CGI Stardust posted:

:golfclap:

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

CGI Stardust posted:

:golfclap:

:hf:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

"We have centuries of experience and knowledge and we did have the opportunity to stop this foolish bill and the Labour front bench decided that we would not.. I think that's an abdication of their responsibility"
Accidentally letting on that they're all draculas.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

A software engineer from Leicestershire on how loving much???
I'd be dead from a cocaine induced myocardial infarction on that amount.

That may be both their incomes, the way it's worded. For what the article is trying to say making out that he himself makes all the money sounds better. Because having been a software engineer in Leicestershire, yeah, that's bonkers money especially for a 28 year old so it's not like he's actually Head of Engineering or something.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i've seen people get into financial holes because instead of getting a car they can afford they got something on hire purchase to be seen in

i find it impossible to have sympathy :)

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Do people not just go to their local garage any more and buy an old Fiat panda for 500 quid and running it till it dies like my mum has been doing for the past 30 years.

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

crispix posted:

i've seen people get into financial holes because instead of getting a car they can afford they got something on hire purchase to be seen in

Every time I see a shiny new Tesla, I have to fight the urge to plow my poo poo box Seat into the side of it.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Just in relation to this, just want to post this here as from what I can tell this is the only place on the entire internet where this song exists. It was never on any of the soundtrack albums or released commercially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VutHSqivBE

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Sadsack posted:

Every time I see a shiny new Tesla, I have to fight the urge to plow my poo poo box

:eyepop:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
DON'T BE SO CRUDE :mad:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
we spell it plough in this house

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

keep punching joe posted:

Do people not just go to their local garage any more and buy an old Fiat panda for 500 quid and running it till it dies like my mum has been doing for the past 30 years.

We've got Mercedes and BMW dealerships near us, so there are loads of people driving those around. And, yeah, if your options are a brand new Mercedes on an affordable monthly plan* or a second-hand car that could have had anything happen to it, it's no surprise people will choose the new car.
Also, there are fewer second-hand dealers than there used to be.

But yeah, the way these leases are sold or at least advertised absolutely takes advantage of the lack of skill many people have with household budgets.
There may also be a bit of wariness about how good local garages are at taking care of older cars.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They need to make more cars like the Toyota Hilux that will keep running when half of what's under the bonnet is bits of wood, lighting flex, and components bought from Maplin

e: :corsair:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

I am a serial puppy snuggler and anyone who tries to stop me is going to regret it. When my dog looks at them all sad and mournfully licks them.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Good news friends! Keith Is having a good genocide!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

crispix posted:

The way car industry is evolving is a bunch of factors that's having the end result of pricing newer cars out of the reach or ordinary people, or without taking on crippling amounts of debt.

If I focus on a single example, take modern led lamps, studies show they cost on average around 1500€ to replace and last on average 15 years, that is 150€ per year if it lasts that long. I pointed this out and someone countered with that most people would be new owners so it doesn't matter (yeah gently caress 2nd or 3rd hand owners) and if it broke they would have insurance replace it so increased costs on lamp replacement doesn't really matter. But you think the insurance companies will just take that lying down? They will get that money back by increasing rates. Which affects even you with a very old car using halogen bulbs you can replace at home for a few euros / pounds.

This is to me just one of many, many ways that rich(er) people stuff poor people just by living their lives as normal people (for their income bracket). Society seems designed to increase the gap between the rich and poor in every single aspect.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Bring back those 90s diesel Mercedes that will run on chip fat and rubbing alcohol too.

smellmycheese posted:

Good news friends! Keith Is having a good genocide!

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

kingturnip posted:

We've got Mercedes and BMW dealerships near us, so there are loads of people driving those around. And, yeah, if your options are a brand new Mercedes on an affordable monthly plan* or a second-hand car that could have had anything happen to it, it's no surprise people will choose the new car.
Also, there are fewer second-hand dealers than there used to be.

But yeah, the way these leases are sold or at least advertised absolutely takes advantage of the lack of skill many people have with household budgets.
There may also be a bit of wariness about how good local garages are at taking care of older cars.

People going for leased/new vehicles here over used vehicles and then complaining about the cost is especially annoying because the second hand vehicle market is so much more consumer friendly in the UK than in many other countries. The requirement for vehicles to pass the MOT plus the ability for anyone to freely access basic information on a vehicle means that you can buy used cars with considerably more confidence than in, say, the USA or Canada. Whenever you buy a car in those countries, you're just trusting that the owner hasn't had their cousin who owns a shop turn back the odometer and make a couple of cosmetic fixes so that their piece of poo poo looks like a good deal.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

My current car (A 2007 smart 451) is the most expensive vehicle I've ever had - cost £2800 (mostly from the insurance payout of the last one).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Keep crashing* more and more expensive cars until you can buy a fantastic one.

*pro-tip don't be the one responsible for the crash

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Personally the more modern a car gets the less it interests me. I actively dislike new cars now. Their development path is to me the perfect example of capitalism acting to make the product worse. See the LED example for a narrow slice of what I dislike. Not that I think LED technology is bad, but like most other technologies it gets implemented in a way as to gently caress people over. It's technically possible to standardize LED lamps to make them user serviceable, if you wanted to. But why? You make less money that way and it would restrict how crazy rear end looking you could make them too.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Plus modern main beams seem to be designed based on

rather than seeing where you're going.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

They’ve put some work into the layout of that sign so someone can’t be photogrsphed covering up a bit so it reads “I support [politician’s head] puppy and kitten smuggling”

They’re learning, and it’s a drat shame.

Although one sign reads ‘support’ and one reads ‘back’.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

tackles poppy and statue defenders

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Bring back those 90s diesel Mercedes that will run on chip fat and rubbing alcohol too.

Am I old because I knew instantly what film that image is from?

:corsair:

Or do the young 'uns also know?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Apparently 'Kate Middleton' has been 'seen'!

Please don't ask what's happening on the underside of the car with those spare tyres, nor why this is the best picture a pap was able to get given the technology of today.

GOD SAVE OUR FUTURE QUEEN! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

fuctifino posted:

Apparently 'Kate Middleton' has been 'seen'!

Please don't ask what's happening on the underside of the car with those spare tyres, nor why this is the best picture a pap was able to get given the technology of today.

GOD SAVE OUR FUTURE QUEEN! :toot:

Have you not read twitter? That is either Pippa OR Ozzy Osbourne pretending to be Kate to allay rumours that she is no longer of this earth.