Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Bring back those 90s diesel Mercedes that will run on chip fat and rubbing alcohol too.

Big deal, the average Brexit voter can do that too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

It's definitely Kate Middleton in that picture, she's even wearing her new signature sunglasses to hide the black eyes Willy gave her.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

BBC link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-68471055

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

isn’t “puppy smuggling” also a euphemism for wearing a sweater over large breasts? or is that just something my internet-poisoned brain has invented?

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
would be good to know what the tweets were tbh

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Now I understand why he put £100k of his 'own money' into his reelection campaign.
https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1764961817070121414
:toot:

He'll just be gifted a lordship if he loses, as establishment parasites like this are here for life

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Have you not read twitter? That is either Pippa OR Ozzy Osbourne pretending to be Kate to allay rumours that she is no longer of this earth.

I did wonder why he was trending yesterday. lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Am I old because I knew instantly what film that image is from?

:corsair:

Or do the young 'uns also know?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ9B7owHxMQ

TACD posted:

isn’t “puppy smuggling” also a euphemism for wearing a sweater over large breasts? or is that just something my internet-poisoned brain has invented?
Those are sweater puppies, I've never heard it the other way around. Although in the theme of the above, it's possible that we're both some kind of deviated prevert
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud9zBKJJQe4

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Tesseraction posted:

Keep crashing* more and more expensive cars until you can buy a fantastic one.

*pro-tip don't be the one responsible for the crash

My 2010 Toyota RAV4 was written off after a car accident in October. (I wasn't at fault.)

I ended up using the settlement to get a second hand 2016 KIA Sportage.
(The dealer at the time had a 2016 KIA with like 80,000 KM on the clock or a 2018 one with 140,000 KM on the clock. Both were the same price.)
I went with the 2016 one, thinking if the 2018 wracked up that many KM in that short space of time (including a Pandemic which should have reduced driving) then it would be more reliable.

Now since then a couple of bits have had to be looked at by the garage (the boot losing hydraulics, some lights going on with the dash board.) But they've covered all the repairs as it's under warranty.
In hindsight maybe I should have gone with the 2018, since that version would have had Android Auto, and I really liked getting to use my phone through the touch screen. And I would have loved the heated seats.

TACD posted:

Could you be thinking of something said by WWFE commentator Jerry "The King" Lawlor.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Mar 5, 2024

grobbo
May 29, 2014
I think it's clear enough now that we're dealing with a basic Ready Or Not scenario, and Kate's eyes were scourged by the Royals' demonic patron Mr LeBail as punishment for letting Meghan escape.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i thought hunt announced he wasn't gonna run again last year or am i just getting confused with the leadership contest

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Those are sweater puppies, I've never heard it the other way around. Although in the theme of the above, it's possible that we're both some kind of deviated prevert

I feel like if budgie smuggling is doing it with your willy then there should be other options available.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Guavanaut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ9B7owHxMQ

The OP is confusing “puppies” which refers to the breasts as a whole, and “smuggling peanuts” which refers to the nipples

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TACD posted:

Puppies is slang for breasts but I don't think that's a common euphemism. Think you sprung your own trap here.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I regret to inform you that Mustard has gone woke

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Am I old because I knew instantly what film that image is from?

:corsair:

Or do the young 'uns also know?

Was one of the first DVDs I bought. And unlike the actual first DVD I bought (The Shining) I actually watched it. Many, many times.

Mind you, I don't count as a young 'un anymore. But "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the War Room" is timeless, as is Jack D Ripper ranting about fluoridation & precious bodily fluids.

smellmycheese posted:

Johnny Foreigner, well renowned for not being able to handle that spicy British cuisine.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Tsietisin posted:

Just in relation to this, just want to post this here as from what I can tell this is the only place on the entire internet where this song exists. It was never on any of the soundtrack albums or released commercially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VutHSqivBE

:hellyeah:

Thanks very much for this!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Nah I'm pretty sure I've heard "smuggling puppies" used in that sense too. It sounds like a very '00s lad's mag phrasing.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

fuctifino posted:

Apparently 'Kate Middleton' has been 'seen'!

Please don't ask what's happening on the underside of the car with those spare tyres, nor why this is the best picture a pap was able to get given the technology of today.

GOD SAVE OUR FUTURE QUEEN! :toot:

https://twitter.com/MediumSizeMeech/status/1764782043563516133

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

smellmycheese posted:

Yes, they're making English food less spicy to cater to the Muslims *laughs in 5000 halal piri piri chicken shops*

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

smellmycheese posted:

Time for a new Covid wave already?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

big scary monsters posted:

Nah I'm pretty sure I've heard "smuggling puppies" used in that sense too. It sounds like a very '00s lad's mag phrasing.

I've been holding in an I smuggle puppies... under my dress! joke for 24 hours

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

In an attempt to take the focus away from the missing Kate

Celebrity Big Brother 2024: Princess of Wales' uncle Gary Goldsmith joins line-up

:toot:

quote:

Goldsmith introduced himself on the show as the "uncle to the future queen of our country", and said his niece was "simply perfect".

He added that he would also like to "put the record straight" on his "bad boy reputation".

In 2017, he was fined £5,000 and handed a community order after he admitted punching his wife in the face during an argument.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well that's not helping the rumours.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like that is scraping the bottom of the barrel of what constitutes "celebrity"

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Simple mix-up they actually asked for Gary Glitter but the wokes said he was "cancelled" and we got this guy instead.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Banned from TV for being the wrong kind of abuser.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

He was also caught in an undercover tabloid sting dealing cocaine in 2009

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

fuctifino posted:

He was also caught in an undercover tabloid sting dealing cocaine in 2009

Honestly a nice line of schnozz is preferable to the weird poo poo most of the real royals get up to.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah just legalize coca leaf, import it from the workers' co-ops in Bolivia and Peru, people can make their own cocaine if they want, or just chew it to treat indigestion. You'd instantly get rid of 90% of the shady poo poo in the market.

Or CRISPR algae to make cocaine and pull the rug out from under the market, surprised Boris and his laser rifles didn't propose that route, maybe his dealer threatened him.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

smellmycheese posted:

Dijon > Colmans so that's settled

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

smellmycheese posted:

Help my tastebuds are dying and I can't taste flavours anymore. Johnny Foreigner must have stolen them!

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

smellmycheese posted:

I regret to inform Tim he has COVID.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9249402/

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Kate looking fine and healthy, those photos should put the rumours to bed.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like that is scraping the bottom of the barrel of what constitutes "celebrity"

this has been the case for celebrity "reality" shows since basically the moment they started. the "celebrity" is essentially aspirational on the part of each contestant

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I thought it was weird and a little funny that this season of US Traitors has a smattering of reality teevee stars from stuff like Survivor and all those "housewives" reality shows (I don't really know what these are? Rich idle ladies getting drunk and yelling at each other in front of cameras?), and then former UK Speaker John Bercow.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

I quite admire Fern Britten for going in purely to settle some old scores with Noncey Schofield

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lemurtron
Aug 3, 2017

feedmegin posted:

That may be both their incomes, the way it's worded. For what the article is trying to say making out that he himself makes all the money sounds better. Because having been a software engineer in Leicestershire, yeah, that's bonkers money especially for a 28 year old so it's not like he's actually Head of Engineering or something.

The crux of the article is individuals or couples on well above median income crying poverty, which is bullshit.

While I have no sympathy for dipshits who chuck their money away then whine like a toddler when it runs out it's still all part of the growing trend of disparity between income and living standards. There are plenty of people on not so good wages living sensibly but still seeing their living standards drop. What we're seeing in the article is the middle classes starting to really feel the squeeze for once, and they don't like it hence all the bleating about not being able to live on 80k a year. What they actually can't do is carry on living how they used to (or want to). It's a cohort of workers who've previously not had to worry about money seeing themselves being meaningfully constrained for probably the first time in their life, although they mostly seem too thick or gullible to realise why this is the case and who's actually to blame.

One would hope that they would finally learn the lesson from this and join in solidarity with those who've been struggling already on much less, but I suspect they'll still think that they deserve a good life while the poor are just stupid/lazy/wasteful.

First they came for the Homeless
but I was doing all right, so sod them
Then they came for the Disabled
Then they came for those on Benefits
Then they came for the Working Poor
Then they came for the Migrants
Then they made things mildly inconvenient for the middle classes
and I whined and pissed myself like a baby then voted for tax cuts

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm the Big Ben in the background of Big Ben.

Shut up I know that's the bell not the tower gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

MeinPanzer posted:

It's time for this thread's favourite kind of journalism: the "help, we make £80k a year but we're poor" article: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/mar/04/middle-class-workers-mortgages-bills-tax.

Hmm, computer, enhance.

Right, so that's about £2,300 of his £4,400 take home accounted for, leaving £2k for everything else. Computer, zoom in again.

Ah, there it is! No way we can buy, say, a used car instead of leasing! Lots of conspicuously unexplained gaps in these budgets where money just happens to disappear. Also, the commonly identified culprit? Those dang taxes being too high for us honest middle class earners!

Reminds me of two American colleagues of mine who both work in academia in a relatively cheap part of the country. One has a permanent lecturer position, the other isn't competitive for permanent jobs and picks up part time teaching but refuses to even look for other kinds of work. Between the two of them they make right around the same or more annually than my wife and I do. I ran into them the other day and they were complaining about how they just can't afford to stay here in the UK and are considering moving back to the US.

The kicker? They bought a £400k house, an electric SUV that must be £40k, regularly take expensive vacations--and do that all with a huge dose of financial help from their parents. Meanwhile my wife and I are doing just fine living in a house that costs less than half that amount, driving a used car that cost £4k, and taking modest vacations.

Yeah, it's that damned cost of living crisis :rolleyes:

this is extremely dumb and short-sighted

if people with "a lot" of money aren't spending it because their bills have gone up, that is a symptom of an economy in collapse. every pub, restaurant, venue, coffee shop, local shop and indy retailer pretty much relies entirely on discretionary spend by people with "excess" money so if people who traditionally were those people are now not those people we are going to see vast swathes of british economic life shuttered

the article isn't "woe is me, I can't afford private school fees" it's "I pay all my bills but they have all gone up so substantially that I no longer have money to spend on other things" which is terrible for everyone. it's easy to laugh but GDP line will go up as asset prices rise and nobody will care that the very essence of society has been crushed

yeah they could save a bunch of money to get a cheaper car but they didn't, they don't have spare cash and now your local is closed down because nobody has any money. it's a symptom of a society with deep sickness in its soul which is caused by landlordism, multi-millionaires and billionaires, not by some software engineer on £75k

blaming taxes is also dumb but we need to be taxing assets to the same level if not more so than actual gainful employment