Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

regular attacks still fill ATB faster for one character and do more damage

Kinda depends on the synergy skill in question as far as damage goes. I'm pretty sure Cloud regular attacking doesn't do as much as his big pseudo-Braver synergy skills (but that has the trade-off of immobilizing you for a bit). And some just make another character attack your target (though I can't really think of any reason not to use those).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Junon sidequests have 2 amazing songs.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Omg yuffie shut up with your chocobo song.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

ok, i did not care at all about the "steel sky" discourse. but why the hell would you patch out something you reference in the following game??? i stand by my original opinion in that it doesn't really matter at all, but why create a weird continuity thing for absolutely no reason

Aphrodite posted:

Junon sidequests have 2 amazing songs.

just hit the second, game is amazing

stuker fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 5, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lol Aerith's spell blast synergy skill (the one that she does with Tifa) hits for 1500 damage when charged. It borrows Tifa's MP I think, but not much. I think that's more damage than lower rank normal spells.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I'm having trouble keeping track of what synergy skills and abilities I have actually gotten. Is there a way to do the folio stuff outside of bookstores and the machines?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I just did all of Cloud's coliseum fights at Corel Prison gently caress you game for that last one

Feel proud of doing it on dynamic difficulty and immediately the second I got there

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
This game is so loving funny I can't get over it

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Augus posted:

I’m at Corel Prison and I must once again reiterate that this game is insanely good

Just quit there for the night and yeah holy poo poo. I must have spent an hour just wandering around taking in all the environmental dialogue and poo poo at the Saucer. The amount of craftsmanship on display in this game is insane.

Like in retrospect should've expected it but drat I marked out when I noticed (chapter 8 spoiler) the Saucer theme switched to an arrangement with Tifa's theme when I went on the date with her. And that kinda poo poo is ALL OVER this game.

I really hope it sells well enough to continue to justify whatever they spent on this. I worry that it's working from a disadvantage as (a) a time-locked PS5 exclusive that is (b) the second game in a remake series where (c) the conventional wisdom is "play this other RPG from 1997 first".

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

you should spoiler that post

I saw it getting talked about earlier in the thread without spoilers, but sure fair enough.

It's really hard to listen to. Like Sonic the Hedgehog got airdropped into the middle of the cast.

Hiveminded fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 5, 2024

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think I’m going to be stuck on the tutorial for the punching thing at the beginning of the Gold Saucer for the rest of my life. the dodge window is TINY and it’s brutal

e:OH MY GOD YOU CAN JUST BLOCK hahahaha

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

Chomposaur posted:

Like in retrospect should've expected it but drat I marked out when I noticed (chapter 8 spoiler) the Saucer theme switched to an arrangement with Tifa's theme when I went on the date with her. And that kinda poo poo is ALL OVER this game.

poo poo I went with Aerith during that section. Is it possible to get any character for that segment.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Just about to hit the Gold Saucer myself.

Just noticed that some sidequests in my journal have a grey tick mark next to them and some have a gold star. Does the gold star indicate it stays completed in hard mode or something?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

bewilderment posted:

Just about to hit the Gold Saucer myself.

Just noticed that some sidequests in my journal have a grey tick mark next to them and some have a gold star. Does the gold star indicate it stays completed in hard mode or something?

You didn't get the best possible outcome for a quest with a tick and now your save file is permanently marked with "did not get perfect in this video game".

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jules is a monster :negative:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Performance is definitely a bit too blurry overall, the 30FPS is unplayable stuff,

But I'd settle for the game not throwing a flashbang at my face everytime I step out of a shadow.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

D.Fuzzbot posted:

poo poo I went with Aerith during that section. Is it possible to get any character for that segment.

After finishing the game, you can select (in a pretty well hidden new menu in the settings) who is going to accompany Cloud.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Jules is a monster :negative:

I finally got lucky and managed to beat the fucker in a run where I only got 2 of the green prompts. Can't wait to see how they manage to make it even worse for part 3...

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I’m trying to avoid reading this thread, but the game is too big and there’s too much to do. I just reached Junon and have enjoyed completing all the open world stuff in chapters 2 and 4, even if it was a little too much, but I don’t know if I want to deal with queen’s blood or other stuff. What can I safely skip to avoid missing cool plot / character progression stuff?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You didn't get the best possible outcome for a quest with a tick and now your save file is permanently marked with "did not get perfect in this video game".

Man I am not going to play that dumb pirate shooting game over and over again.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I’m trying to avoid reading this thread, but the game is too big and there’s too much to do. I just reached Junon and have enjoyed completing all the open world stuff in chapters 2 and 4, even if it was a little too much, but I don’t know if I want to deal with queen’s blood or other stuff. What can I safely skip to avoid missing cool plot / character progression stuff?

Outside of looking up which quests reward them, there appears to be no indicator as to what side quests give SP progession items or gate other quests/areas.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Outside of looking up which quests reward them, there appears to be no indicator as to what side quests give SP progession items or gate other quests/areas.

This. but if you look at the quests page, an associated character will show up on the sidequest that tends to hint rewards / reputation will go to them.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

JBP posted:

This game is so loving funny I can't get over it

This is really understated but yeah it's amazing how funny this game actually is. And consistently too.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Uh was that gilgameshes theme from ff5 at the end of the fort condor minigame storyline

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Heithinn Grasida posted:

biggest minigame things in the short term will probably be the parade (which you can't skip) and the QB tournament on the boat, which isn't plot relevant at all but i'd recommend looking up a youtube or something because there are great character moments

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Uh was that gilgameshes theme from ff5 at the end of the fort condor minigame storyline

never heard that name before

stuker fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Mar 5, 2024

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Hrm looking back I kind of forgot Gilgamesh was a samurai dude in ff5 so uh was that him? I guess? Ok. Sure. I'll play this bullshit on hard to find out what's up

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

It was a version of Battle at the Big Bridge, yeah

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Bummer.

Do I get extra added damage from linking a dual element materia to an elemental support materia on my weapon?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It was a version of Battle at the Big Bridge, yeah

It's crazy how that song has stuck in my head for decades now. Might be my single favourite piece of FF music

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Queen's Blood is pretty fun and fast to play. The game has its own story happening as well. I'm interested to see where it goes. Play the boat tournament at least. You can look up a good deck to easy mode it.

You will have to play a lot of minigames with no choice so buckle up!

Green icon quests are usually connected to a character and build that relationship. Some of them just promote you getting out to tour new areas. I'd do all of them they've got the most character stuff.

Ubisoft icons: if you take in the scenery it's not so bad. I am sick of stupid Chadley now though.
I wish there was a more interesting way to get summons than Chadley's magical computer. The summon battles with all three shrines are lazy walkovers.
Protorelic quests are the best icons, they've all been very fun and funny. They will reward/punish you with minigames.
I reckon you could just do a few icons, grab the good materia from Chadley and move on if you like.

If you want more power for the party through levels and AP you can always do combat sim fights and slot the AP gain materia to the thing you want to use most.

JBP fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 5, 2024

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If you’ve got the kind of map icon tallying brokebrains that I do, be aware that you can’t finish all the protorelics in Corel until after you’ve progressed the story through the next couple of areas so it’ll constantly have the little x/4 notification taunting you every time you look at the world map but no icons to go wrap them up.

It does signpost this in a way so it shouldn’t be a surprise but it’s kind of weird since you could fully clear all the other zones before leaving.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I do have that kind of brain and as a result this game is now a 0/10

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

It might just be me, but so far through almost all of chapter 9, while I can't know how the rest of this one plays out, I vastly prefer what they're doing with the Cloud and Tifa dynamic. It's very loving obvious they both care deeply about each other, and while I'm not a whole shipper type, it never made sense to me that Aerith was just completely over Zack, especially with how they portrayed her going to visit his parents. The whole "kiss, kiss!!" was pretty funny. I personally hope that continues and actually resolves into something meaningful by the end. I couldn't tell what Tifa and Aerith mouthed to one another right after, does anyone know?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I can't advance the protorelic quests in Corel and Gongaga: in Corel I cleared all the Chadley icons but I don't see the last two protorelic objectives. In Gongaga I found the last training facility right by the airstrip, but it won't let me go in.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is there a reason United Refocus just isn’t available to use sometimes? EDIT: Nevermind, it costs 4 synergy charges for each character

EDIT: Also I think the Pull up mini game is ridiculously overtuned

RatHat fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 5, 2024

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
I like how at every QB table there's a special little stand for Cloud to put his sword in. 10/10 GOTY

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Caseman posted:

Freaking chapter 13 took like 5 hours to beat. Anyone who has beaten the game remember how long the final chapter took? Wanna see if I can finish the story off tonight.

I knew the game would end eventually, but learning that I’m already more than halfway through is…:negative:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Spermando posted:

I can't advance the protorelic quests in Corel and Gongaga: in Corel I cleared all the Chadley icons but I don't see the last two protorelic objectives. In Gongaga I found the last training facility right by the airstrip, but it won't let me go in.

Corel is just straight locked until later in the plot (I think you'll be notified. I am starting the open world in Cosmo Canyon and it hasn't happened yet). Gongaga isn't plot locked but you do have to find your way into that bit of the map from the other side. I forget how. Gongaga is a pain to navigate and the map is often useless.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold
Man reading comments from other sites, I really don’t understand the hate boners this game is getting from some people for its graphics. It was a 4 year dev time, a third party dev, the game is absolutely huge, there are a ton of areas with AAA assets everywhere. I’ve been playing on performance mode on a 4K 65” sitting like, 10 feet away, and can barely tell the resolution difference between the two modes compared to the huge disparity between 30 and 60. What the gently caress am I missing?

Arkage fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

https://x.com/incorrectffqts/status/1764827878422618272?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

I wish this joke were funnier