Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

People will probably swap over to saying war medals are biggest grind once they upgraded their hangar all the way and a new battlepass is out in a month.

there's at least another three tiers of destroyer upgrades still to come so don't write off the sample grind just yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

drrockso20 posted:

Discovered the joys of the 500kg Bomb today, few things that make you get a Freedom Boner more than watching a Charger just get instantly pasted into a delicious bug gumbo by a gigantic fireball of Managed Democracy

While the 380mm is an insane roulette that is absolutely not worth taking, when I tested it out I got to see a 15 inch orbital shell nail a Charger dead on such that he did a full three flips before landing, so I consider the requisition well spent even if I never use that thing again.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Chillgamesh posted:

All it's missing (besides stuff that's already on the roadmap) is some ally NPCs to make the battles feel a little more epic imo.

Yeah. It's the sort of thing that would make planetary defense a bit more bearable, if instead of just evacuating people you were also being dropped in to help some hapless SEAF troopers escape or turn the tide.

Maybe throw in a few missions where SEAF SAM Sites and SEAF Artillery are the main objectives inead of just side ones for good measure too.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Had a civilian extract mission where the civvies would just stand outside the hangar and refuse to go in. Not the best place to hold a meeting imo

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Had a civilian extract mission where the civvies would just stand outside the hangar and refuse to go in. Not the best place to hold a meeting imo

melee them down, son.

i dont know if this works or not i just want you to hit them.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Has anyone upgraded their ship with the decreased damage falloff from orbitals? That must make the 380 mm better, right?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

i wish all the side objectives did something on the map instead of just some of them

its cool when you reactivate the artillery and can call it in or when you shut down a stalker nest, but whats the point of destroying a research base or propaganda tower?

i also hope that the devs add more dynamic missions. Itd be awesome to drop into a friendly base under attack and then work with ai soldiers to secure the map by taking objectives which weakens the enemy presence or something like that. maybe have base-building call-ins so players can set up FOBs and have ai soldiers push the enemy. anything that adds to the chaos

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Longpig Bard posted:

Has anyone upgraded their ship with the decreased damage falloff from orbitals? That must make the 380 mm better, right?

Better at killing you/other helldivers, yes.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Longpig Bard posted:

I'm at 18/18 ship upgrades and allow me to say: the 120mm and 380mm barrages still suck

The 380mm will at least sometimes kill stuff so I'll occasionally bring it for fun but it's still essentially a meme pick

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Dyz posted:

I mow down hunters in one burst of the Liberator Pen all the time. The burst also has no delay so mashing the button is basically the same as auto. Its no breaker but I dont compare guns to the breaker because, well... its the breaker.

I should have clarified without headshots.

But regardless, needing headshots to be able to kill a single incredibly common, very evasive enemy without blowing through 20% of your mag is poo poo.

Giving up 1200 damage per mag vs. The default Liberator is a big deal against bugs, and vs. Bots you should be shooting them in the face anyways.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Mar 5, 2024

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Insert name here posted:

I'm at 18/18 ship upgrades and allow me to say: the 120mm and 380mm barrages still suck

The 380mm will at least sometimes kill stuff so I'll occasionally bring it for fun but it's still essentially a meme pick

You really have to call out that you used this strategem because the danger zone is hella big. Last night I casually looked over and saw a strategem at 30m, nbd, then i moused over and it was 380mm. I was holding the samples, so I booked it. The danger zone is like 80 or 100m? it's insane

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You’re looking at it wrong. The artillery stratagem comes with a free opportunity to call in an additional helldiver.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

My friend and I agreed that the 380 would be worth taking if it turned into a limited-use stratagem like the laser, but absolutely pummeled its designated area. Like I'd happily take a one-use version of it that guaranteed total saturation of its AoE.

Alternatively, leave it as is but make the very first shot land exactly on the beacon like a precision strike so you can at least hit SOMETHING reliably.

I love it for the spectacle and bring it even with the loosest justification but it really is just so random with its success

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

i also hope that the devs add more dynamic missions. Itd be awesome to drop into a friendly base under attack and then work with ai soldiers to secure the map by taking objectives which weakens the enemy presence or something like that. maybe have base-building call-ins so players can set up FOBs and have ai soldiers push the enemy. anything that adds to the chaos

one thing I thought of that would be endlessly funny is if the mission objectives changed midway or upon arrival. someone mentioned a few pages ago ways to improve the quota kill missions and I think they're onto something. imagine if you were prepared for an egg hunt or extraction only to find everyone dead and suddenly you just need to get democratic revenge before you're allowed to leave, or hold the extraction point for ~ 10 minutes until the dropship arrives.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
PSA: If you want do to a mission solo, then don't make it public. It's a pain in the rear end to join a game, pick out stratagems only to shoot a few bugs and get immediately kicked. Happened several times now

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Infidelicious posted:

My 100% Accurate and Definitive weapon ranking list:

The Knight SMG, only available in the supporter bundle, is so bad it's not even included in this list I see

(It's bad. Not necessarily because the gun itself is bad, but has ammo problems like the Slugger where it inexplicably gains less ammo per resupply or ammo box than other comparable weapons)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I am nice when I’m hosting if I’m either going to play with friends or leaving. I just post in the chat instead of kicking. People leave

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Jesus, those rescue-the-scientists missions are brutal. On Extreme it's just non-stop crushers and bile titans, insane .

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Yeah. They at least feel much more doable than the bot ones though since sentries don't waste all their ammo on dropships

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Phanatic posted:

Jesus, those rescue-the-scientists missions are brutal. On Extreme it's just non-stop crushers and bile titans, insane .

I did one, 3p last night, difficulty 7, and it was nuts.

Not helping was one of the people decided to leave the base... but not to do the 'raise hell so the base doesnt get spawned on so much' strat. No, he just snuck around and looted a bunch of sites quietly while the two of us were in Bug Hell.

I kept asking him in voice to either make some noise out there and take the pressure off, or come back and help actually finish the mission. No response, he just kept sneaking around and picking up samples while we were just in a death/respawn loop covered in chargers and bile titans.

We finished it with seconds to spare, lifted off, then he immediately kicked me aboard the ship. At least he waited.

Edit, unrelated:

https://twitter.com/helldivers2/status/1765044878386364517

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

nexus6 posted:

PSA: If you want do to a mission solo, then don't make it public. It's a pain in the rear end to join a game, pick out stratagems only to shoot a few bugs and get immediately kicked. Happened several times now

On that note, the game desperately needs an Invite Only function.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

:getin:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I ain’t spending any reqs until Thursday

I want that mech

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Still no answer to the important questions

Like "does the mech have a horn" and "can I hang truck nuts off of it"

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

time to give the bots a taste of their own medicine, helldiver!

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

The first Helldivers was good, but Helldivers 2 is unquestionably worthy. I'm so glad I bought this, I'm having so much fun annihilating poo poo.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i like that the raise the flag stratagem deploys a guard dog with a video camera on it that flies around filming it going up

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Waffle House posted:

The first Helldivers was good, but Helldivers 2 is unquestionably worthy. I'm so glad I bought this, I'm having so much fun annihilating poo poo.

2024 is full of some of the best games I've played-- particularly for the playstation. FF7 rebirth is also blowing everyone's tits off

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

jokes posted:

2024 is full of some of the best games I've played-- particularly for the playstation. FF7 rebirth is also blowing everyone's tits off

i needed 2024 to cool it off since im still catching up with all the great games from 2023 that I didnt have time for

instead, all of my gaming time has been spent playing Helldivers 2

oh well, theres always next year

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

novaSphere posted:

The Knight SMG, only available in the supporter bundle, is so bad it's not even included in this list I see

(It's bad. Not necessarily because the gun itself is bad, but has ammo problems like the Slugger where it inexplicably gains less ammo per resupply or ammo box than other comparable weapons)

This is the price you pay to have the glory of more shots fired per mission than a machinegun user... But yeah, this would explain why even controlled bursts life keeps straining my ammo unless I am dying a lot. Good thing I die a lot more often against bugs than robots where I prefer the defender!

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 5, 2024

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

novaSphere posted:

It's the second highest DPS primary and extremely accurate at range if you control the recoil (just crouch). It has a ton of ammo each mag so it can kill a lot of small weak poo poo but it also has an extremely high fire rate meaning it can mag dump meatier boys down super quick. It's an SMG so it's also quieter than other primaries. Every time I buy a new weapon I go about two missions before switching back to the knight because it's so drat good. I'm a little mad it's not available to everyone.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I worded my post poorly and meant to say the Knight is actually a pretty good gun but is hampered by its ammo problems. Maybe they'll put it in a future Warbond so others can use it; the game is already lacking in dakka primaries as-is

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

All I see there is someone who forgot to turn the safety off their railgun.

What's up unsafe charge buddy?

Ulio posted:

True helldivers don't use shields... They use jetpacks and hide on top the highest piece of rock.

I'm sorry. Surely you meant 'spot undemocratic scum from atop the highest piece of rock.'

I'd actually love some kind of binoculars that I could use to identify POI's from a long distance/search for the super samples from the highest point on the map. Just let me lean into that recon fantasy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I always keep it unsafe. I’ve only blown up myself once and that was to test it.

Also I jumped on the tank and blew it up with the rail gun by shooting its little vent a bunch of times. Then I got sent flying by the blast and rolled off a cliff and then died

Worth it

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Can't wait for some WH40k style mechs! ... although I fear what kind of opponents they will invent.

Also Terminator style hovering planes would be awesome.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The next bad guys who will threaten freedom apparently have force powers or something lol

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Infinitum posted:

Grenade Launcher + Ammo Backpack fun as gently caress.
Just exploding packs of bug nerds nonstop :gritin:

I have learnt that the Mortar Sentry can and will launch mortars directly next to team mates if an enemy is next to them... sorry rando pubbies :sweatdrop:

Mortar Sentry is great but you have to be a lot more careful of when to use it than probably any other Sentry, there are two ideal situations(in terms of minimizing friendly fire) for using it;

1) when you're holding an area for an extended period of time and need to keep enemies away(this is probably where the Mortar shines brightest due to it having probably the widest area of coverage of any offensive Stratagem as well as a lot of ammo*)

2) when you're trying to get away from a bad situation and need something to thin out your pursuers and/or be a distraction**

*like I don't think I've ever seen a Mortar Sentry run out of ammo before its Stratagem cool down runs out(and thus it deactivates) first, like it's probably the single most efficient Stratagem in the game because of that

**which is honestly probably the best use case for any of the offensive Sentries aside from probably the Rocket Sentry

MissMarple posted:

I assume they'll drop a Mech (possibly + other vehicles) Warbond for 1,000 SC with associated Boosts/Armor/Emote of your character doing the Rollin' dance.
Something to sink Medals and Super Creds into basically.
We haven't seen Strategms show up in Warbonds yet, but i'm sure they support it.

Pretty sure they've said they don't currently plan on ever locking Stratagems behind Warbonds, which makes sense as that would probably reek a little too much of "Pay to Win" compared to what's currently in them

Night10194 posted:

While the 380mm is an insane roulette that is absolutely not worth taking, when I tested it out I got to see a 15 inch orbital shell nail a Charger dead on such that he did a full three flips before landing, so I consider the requisition well spent even if I never use that thing again.

I assume we'll probably be seeing a lot of buffing to the Orbitals in the future considering how most of them fall way short compared to Eagles in most respects

johnny park posted:

My friend and I agreed that the 380 would be worth taking if it turned into a limited-use stratagem like the laser, but absolutely pummeled its designated area. Like I'd happily take a one-use version of it that guaranteed total saturation of its AoE.

Alternatively, leave it as is but make the very first shot land exactly on the beacon like a precision strike so you can at least hit SOMETHING reliably.

I love it for the spectacle and bring it even with the loosest justification but it really is just so random with its success

I do agree that for Stratagems that don't automatically track a target that their first shot(assuming multiple shots) should be zeroed in within a meter or two at most from where the Beacon lands

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

The next bad guys who will threaten freedom apparently have force powers or something lol

I hate them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can’t wait to orbital laser them