Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I don’t actually recall how this shakes out, so I hope Josh continues to spiral downwards until he hits the center of the earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I have so many questions. :psyduck:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Green Intern posted:

I don’t actually recall how this shakes out, so I hope Josh continues to spiral downwards until he hits the center of the earth.

Like Cricket in it’s always sunny.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Josh really brings the net value of the world down a little, doesn't he. :v: What an abhorrent rear end.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Doomykins posted:

I've bounced off Alley Oop multiple times in my life under different authors. You'd think a serial adventure concept like "a scientist time travels and recruits a caveman for adventures" could be carried by just putting a headstrong brawny idiot with a heart of gold in situations(it's almost beat for beat the default shounen setup) but I've never been lucky enough to see it bear fruit.

You'd think, but the only version I ever liked was the original. Hamlin had a solid grasp of both action and comedy, and he could draw like a sonofabitch. Someone went through the first half decade of it 3 or 4 threads ago, and I was diggin' it until they abruptly stopped.

And early Oop was no fool, and was in fact heroic, which makes the current take even more objectionable.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

:owned:

Rose is Rose

Bad Machinery

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (February 12, 1936)

Peanuts: Chuck On The Lam (March 8, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire, continuing an all-ginger interlude.

Li'l Abner (January 6-8, 1936)

So that story ended pretty rapidly, but we're wasting no time getting back on the horse. Where will Pappy's wanderlust take him in a strange new city?

CHINATOWN! :ughh:

Yeaaaaaaah, spoiler curtains for the next little bit.

Thimble Theater (October 8, 1940)

Out Our Way (February 28-March 1, 1944)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 5, 2024

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The art style in current Alley Oop makes them look like car seats that came to life, what did it originally look like?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Powered Descent posted:

d on Sundays with the new CK formatting.

Flash Gordon

YAAAAAS WITCH-QUEEN
Ever since Flash and Ming II got in a shouting match at the wedding reception I've been waiting for a Witch Queen Sunday. The look on her face as they fought was a perfect "Oh this is juicy!" She exudes even more style than the rest of the cast, and the rest of the cast is wonderful.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

theironjef posted:

The art style in current Alley Oop makes them look like car seats that came to life, what did it originally look like?

Here's a random sample from about five years into the original run. As you can see, the odd proportions -- big chests, no necks, oversized calves and forearms -- are part of the original character design.

Alley Oop 3/15/37

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

theironjef posted:

Here's the earliest strips in GoComics' archive, from the beginning of January, 1939:

Unfortunately GoComics lists them in the same category as nu-Oop so there's no easy way to pick up classic-Oop (unless there's something in Powered Descent's script?). I probably won't add classic-Oop to my posts but if someone's willing to pick it up, it might be a fun contrast a la Popeye.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Alley Oop

Boy that "watched too much Futurama" critique really sticks out, huh?

Curtis

... huh?

Also, last night my wife came into my office almost yelling "DID YOU SEE TODAY'S BALDO?!" so here it is:

Holy poo poo what a poorly executed "kids and their phones?!"

Also according to today's strip Gracie doesn't even HAVE a phone?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

That Baldo is Dustin levels of Boomer. Wallace and the Otterloop strip are how you depict children correctly in a comic strip.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Selachian posted:

Bonus Comic! Spoilered for Native American stereotypes, and presented without comment.

Just kinda contemplating "America wouldn't be discovered yet!" with them pointing out that native Americans would still be living there just two panels later.

goatface posted:

Diagonal across the Pyrenees is a choice for a road.
Look, everyone gets wilderness survival training from some badass at Val's court, right? It's fine.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

who loving cares

I don't know dick about poo poo when it comes to wedding planning but seven months seems like not a lot of time because I've heard a lot of people have tried to do, like, 6 months and that was basically breakneck and down to the wire to execute.

this is not a haiku. this is a 3/5/3 scheme. that is not a haiku. I have gotten baked and written poetry before and I am so loving offended.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Good lord. It almost never happens, but I liked today's Dustin.
All it needs to do to meet that quota is not mindless recycle a 50-year-old gag/stereotype or be openly mean-spirited and hateful. That's all it needs! And yet,

Julet Esqu posted:

It almost never happens,

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Vargo posted:

Also, last night my wife came into my office almost yelling "DID YOU SEE TODAY'S BALDO?!" so here it is:

Like father, like son...Think about it.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Vargo posted:

What's your problem, she just had a relaxing smoke break from her phone?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
drat, that kid is cool

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

My smoking period was too long ago to overlap with cell phones, but I gotta admit that looks pretty chill.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Darthemed posted:

drat, that kid is cool
lmao I had the exact same thought followed by "so this is gonna be an arc about smoking huh".

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Hostile V posted:

lmao I had the exact same thought followed by "so this is gonna be an arc about smoking huh".

I did too but then it wasn't, it was about phones.

Not that it would be unlike Baldo to start and stop storylines at random, I think they're still hiding a family of dreamers in their basement Anne-Frank style since 2018.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Hostile V posted:

I don't know dick about poo poo when it comes to wedding planning but seven months seems like not a lot of time because I've heard a lot of people have tried to do, like, 6 months and that was basically breakneck and down to the wire to execute.

Depends on what you are doing for the wedding. Popular venue? Might be booked years in advance. High demand baker and caterer? Same. But if you want to have something small and intimate, 6 months is probably plenty of time.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

pretty good

Dustin

Mandrake The Magician

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Vargo posted:

Unfortunately GoComics lists them in the same category as nu-Oop so there's no easy way to pick up classic-Oop (unless there's something in Powered Descent's script?).

The script can very easily be tweaked to grab any date you like; it just does "today" by default since that's what most of us need. But the archive on Gocomics looks far from complete -- my impression, just from poking around and spot-checking, is that after that first month of strips in 1939, coverage is spotty at best until well into the 1990s.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vargo posted:

If you showed this to me without any context I would have assumed she was a women in her thirties.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
How old is this Gracie kid in Baldo supposed to be? Wikipedia doesn't mention an age but says she's "remarkably intelligent and enjoys reading." That sounds like the sort of kid that can handle a smartphone.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I'm guessing 8 -10-years old.

Speaking of WTF Baldo one-offs: does anyone remember the strip they ran during the Bush years of ICE coming & arresting the grandmother as an illegal?

An Taoiseach
Mar 23, 2008

World's Strongest Love

Hostile V posted:

I know im commiting the cardinal Holbrook sin of thinking about plots for more than half a second, but there was a little arc not too long ago about Rudy and Fiona not rushing into getting married, wasn't there? Kinda jarring that they're now just well, date set, out of the blue. Though he can't resist keeping characters off of the sweethearts>married>babies babies babies train for too long i suppose

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
See they moved into the rabbit state and now they wanna gently caress like rabbits and you can't gently caress out of wed lock.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

Depends on what you are doing for the wedding. Popular venue? Might be booked years in advance. High demand baker and caterer? Same. But if you want to have something small and intimate, 6 months is probably plenty of time.
Yes but this is Hellworld and these are God's special little coolguy jackanapes so they will get everything they are owed and more for free. Heaven and Earth will move to accommodate their every asinine little whim. The Rabbit Council will start a war in developing nations to procure napkins for a former Easter Bunny's marriage ceremony. Rudy will skateboard down the aisle and Fiona will, I dunno, girl about it. Dethany will be there because they are having a god drat Halloween wedding.

And also as someone who wants to get married on like Halloween and have a party about it? poo poo's gonna be in demand for people to have a Halloween wedding! That's pretty prime party planning real estate in general!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Getting married at Halloween means only one thing....BRING IT IN, GUYS!!!

*Dethany (From "On the Fastrack") comes in for a HUGE party*

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Vargo posted:

Here's the earliest strips in GoComics' archive, from the beginning of January, 1939:

Unfortunately GoComics lists them in the same category as nu-Oop so there's no easy way to pick up classic-Oop (unless there's something in Powered Descent's script?). I probably won't add classic-Oop to my posts but if someone's willing to pick it up, it might be a fun contrast a la Popeye.

yeah actually! since the script defines its own date parameters, you can change it to grab a comic from whenever, thats how i get classic arlo and janis

code:
DATE=`date +%Y-%m-%d`
DATESLASH=`date +%Y/%m/%d`
change this bit to this

code:
DATE=`date -d "n days ago" +%Y-%m-%d`
DATESLASH=`date -d "n days ago" +%Y/%m/%d`
with n being whatever would get you to classic alley oop's heyday

it might be a pain to do this for multiple alley oops a day, but you could always just do 3 blocks or instances of code for it idk, im no real computer toucher

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

is Baituk advocating for single-payer healthcare to get rid of the bureaucratic nightmare of navigating health insurance

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Congratulations to Drabble for 45 years

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jan. 21, 1962)

I love how Marcus Severis hears of Val's need to petition the Emperor and tells Arn of course he can help, and does so by talking Val out of it. Cynical and practical, that's a pretty good Roman at the edge of an empirical fall.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Darthemed posted:

Congratulations to Drabble for 45 years

Wait, this poo poo is still going?

This has been in my 80s paper for a while and I've never seen it tell a halfway decent joke. So of course it's still going.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Drabble has only ever been noteworthy to me for that Achewood strip where Ray just demolishes Donnie Drabble (the main guy) who wears white Reeboks and jeans he bought at the grocery store.

(Belated happy 20th to that Achewood strip)

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(September 6, 1910)

Baron Bean(March 7, 1016)

Polly and Her Pals(February 4, 1913)

Gasoline Alley(October 28, 1919)

Us Boys(March 5, 1912)

The Gumps(April 3, 1917)

Krazy Kat(December 30, 1913)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Our daily newspaper didn't have Drabble when I was growing up but our Sunday paper had it in their color section and it was completely unremarkable, the kind of strip that only stands out when you notice it on wrapped birthday presents.