Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

People online love to take the worst possible interpretation of what other people say and it’s a big reason why I stopped reading Twitter

there were a small number of designers who took the opportunity to sincerely engage with those posts and make interesting discussions about the history and best-practices on signposting in games, and guess what got more attention: that, or "some of y'all really hate disabled people and it shows"

the exact same thing happens, on both sides, with any translation/localization discourse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cuttlefush posted:

they saved the other songs for dance battle with the fat girl

Lol that + the revelation that followed owned

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Haruka defeated an Amon family member in a dance battle without ever raising a hand to her, making her canonically the strongest character in Yakuza

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

a lot of people responded to posts about people getting annoyed by yellow paint with "oh, so what, you hate disabled people then???"

i do yes

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

NoiseAnnoys posted:

lol wow. i never knew. still kinda wish it was a dropkick murphy roadie though.

also lmao

my gf can't hit quick time events to save her life and got annoyed at me laughing when kiryu just watches poo poo fly past him because she thought I was laughing at her

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
rubbing my hands together on seeing thr yellow paint in re4 remake. time to concern troll.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Stux posted:

i do yes

Same

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Saw this posted on reddit lol

> Like honestly, it makes a event in retrospect feel like the real him breaking through. I woke up one morning to find disarray as one long term member had discussed feeling suicidal and his post was to tell them how to correctly position the gun. Lots of WTF from people, the poster left, and he claimed it was the angry depressed girlfriend of his dead daughter who posted it in the account he left logged on. According to him it was something he said to her dad before his failed suicide that he had to mercy kill.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Stux posted:

rubbing my hands together on seeing thr yellow paint in re4 remake. time to concern troll.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Ibram Gaunt posted:

> Like honestly, it makes a event in retrospect feel like the real him breaking through. I woke up one morning to find disarray as one long term member had discussed feeling suicidal and his post was to tell them how to correctly position the gun. Lots of WTF from people, the poster left, and he claimed it was the angry depressed girlfriend of his dead daughter who posted it in the account he left logged on. According to him it was something he said to her dad before his failed suicide that he had to mercy kill.

:wtc:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I can't believe the person who lied about being a stone cold badass assassin and pretended to have cancer multiple times was actually a complete piece of poo poo

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

DaysBefore posted:

Yes you should play Tamriel Rebuilt. Also Skyrim: Home of the Nords which is very cool but I think dead? WHatever, what they put out so far is good

I went and watched both the Tamriel Rebuilt and the Skyrim: Home of the Nords videos by warlockracy as Butt-Head suggested and yup they were good videos

Do I install all this mumbo jumbo now and actually play Morrowind? Y/N

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!

lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Jesus there's been like 500 posts, I need the FFXVI Active Lore System to come up here so I can catch up

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

oh, you're mad about the Accessibility pee and cum stains spattered on every surface? well i work 400000 hours and have 500 kids and only 33 seconds to game each week and

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

normally you can tell who they are by the exaggerated swagger of a ranged shooter

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
wth is yellow paint? like, quest markers and trails? color blind or other accessability stuff?

ik accessability is an issue, ive dealt with it myself but what. legit never heard that term.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cranappleberry posted:

wth is yellow paint? like, quest markers and trails? color blind or other accessability stuff?

ik accessability is an issue, ive dealt with it myself but what. legit never heard that term.

its when you signpost things like climbable walls with yellow paint splatters

signposting in games is always done but yellow paint tends to rub people the wrong way for whatever reason.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Stux posted:

i do yes

Nothing worse than self loathing.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Cranappleberry posted:

It's to mark where your character can climb. I never had an issue with it since most games that have something like that implemented are a chore to navigate as is, and anything that makes it easier for me to bypass trial & error is A+ in my book

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cranappleberry posted:

It's literally using splashes of yellow paint to mark the intended path/climable objects/etc in games which Naughty Dog used a lot in Uncharted/TLOU and now it's in lots of games

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

signposting in games is always done but yellow paint tends to rub people the wrong way for whatever reason.

For me it just looks bad a lot of the time. Like the tarps in Dying Light never bugged me because they felt like they made sense within the context of the game. Yellow paint being on random mountain sides in the middle of nowhere on each individual climbing rock just looks dumb.

Basically, signposting is good and desirable but yellow paint is a very low effort way of doing it.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
it's piss

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Note Block posted:

I went and watched both the Tamriel Rebuilt and the Skyrim: Home of the Nords videos by warlockracy as Butt-Head suggested and yup they were good videos

Do I install all this mumbo jumbo now and actually play Morrowind? Y/N

absolutely. morrowind is the closest ive felt gaming has gotten to feeling like ur in this esoteric place that just loving hates everyone but themselves. just like sweden

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Like do you really want to spend even more time trying to reach a cliff in Assassin's Creed or Horizon or whatever. Who cares

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

It's to mark where your character can climb. I never had an issue with it since most games that have something like that implemented are a chore to navigate as is, and anything that makes it easier for me to bypass trial & error is A+ in my book

Yeah it honestly helps sometimes since visual design in AAA games is so goddamn busy it can actually be hard to tell where to go lol

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

A smart guy I know has this to say:

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
oh so it's so people know a thing can be interacted with with a visual cue instead of the player having to try a prompt

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
A lot of stuff people get in fights about in games would be fixed by just making it a toggle imo.

I think it's better to respond to people as if they mean what they say, and then the worst that happens is you miss a joke. Accusing someone who's trying to have a sincere conversation of being a troll is unkind.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
they should just make it a toggle like the original inventor of the mechanic mirrors edge. simple.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Stux posted:

they should just make it a toggle like the original inventor of the mechanic mirrors edge. simple.

:hmmyes:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!

Junpei posted:

A smart guy I know has this to say:

that is exactly what i want however

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Ibram Gaunt posted:

No idea when this might have happened but anyone who stayed and still believed him AFTER THIS is as much of a monster as he is

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
They should use giant floating cartoon arrows.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

dead space outline thing ftw

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
i think my favorute one of these arguments i see is if u talk about smt especially older smt games or other dungeon crawlers, theres a subset of ppl who play them and also believe things like teleporter mazes or other mechaincs which involve trial and error and mapping out a complex dungeon are a game design sin and dont understand why theyre put in the games. very funny lol

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i thought the yellow paint poo poo was stupid cause it popped up for re4r to highlight breakable item boxes and im like the og re4 had barrels and boxes unnaturally glow every 2 seconds lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Stux posted:

that is exactly what i want however

A guy I was friends with in HS complained about FF9 having button prompts when there was hidden treasure instead of having to spam the use button like 7/8

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Like do you really want to spend even more time trying to reach a cliff in Assassin's Creed or Horizon or whatever. Who cares

I simply choose not to play Assassin's Creed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Stux posted:

this tho