Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
there's a bit in kingdom hearts 2 where you fight the hydra and the millisecond he's stunned phil starts shouting GET UP ON THE HYDRAS BACK over and over again with no pause

do something like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Paladinus posted:

I simply choose not to play Assassin's Creed.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

A guy I was friends with in HS complained about FF9 having button prompts when there was hidden treasure instead of having to spam the use button like 7/8

hes right. knowing exactly where all the rare candies are hidden in pokemon red and blue ftw.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ArfJason posted:

i thought the yellow paint poo poo was stupid cause it popped up for re4r to highlight breakable item boxes and im like the og re4 had barrels and boxes unnaturally glow every 2 seconds lol

there was an entire era of game design where any remotely interactable object glowed lol. remember how like every switch in bioshock literally had sparkles on it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

there's a bit in kingdom hearts 2 where you fight the hydra and the millisecond he's stunned phil starts shouting GET UP ON THE HYDRAS BACK over and over again with no pause

do something like that

https://clips.twitch.tv/BraveDeliciousWheelDuDudu-uEyD41YSSipjRLsJ

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
bring back floating spinning pickups

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Stux posted:

that is exactly what i want however

stux spends all day rubbing his rear end on every surface

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
like i think its kind of stupid too but it can be interesting to figure out why it bothers people rather than just attributing it to "toxic gamer bros" or whatever people do online

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

there was an entire era of game design where any remotely interactable object glowed lol. remember how like every switch in bioshock literally had sparkles on it

i dont remember any of the 2 hours i played of bioshock tbh.

like personally i dont think people are very wrong about wanting more natural signposting (Valve doing their thing where they use lighting and textures to subtly highlight paths or whatever), but the fact that this one instance im talking about was specifically about the remake of re4 made me think everyone who engaged with this discourse was a megaton retard

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

do something like that

What about the one horrible, eldritch entity, that every person on planet earth complained about back in the day: Navi

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ArfJason posted:

i thought the yellow paint poo poo was stupid cause it popped up for re4r to highlight breakable item boxes and im like the og re4 had barrels and boxes unnaturally glow every 2 seconds lol

Glowing > yellow paint, to be honest.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mordiceius posted:

stux spends all day rubbing his rear end on every surface

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

this actually is hella stupid the more i think about it lol, the last part about challenging vs time consuming. often it overlaps a lot. a lot of challenging things by their nature take time to learn, or the challenge can be the difficulty of doing something well for a sustained period of time. some people just want shortcuts or prefer much sharper forms of difficulty which is completely acceptable and fine but talking about it like this like ppl who enjoy things that take a long time to learn and overcome are actually just liars and stupid and no one could genuinely want the thing i dont want is really annoying. thanks

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think it is a matter of taste that doesn't matter that much in any way but it can potentially lead to interesting ideas on how signposting in games should be done

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

didn't initially realise it was Phil from Hercules, rather than Phil from the Dark Syde

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

didn't initially realise it was Phil from Hercules, rather than Phil from the Dark Syde

Get up on the hydra's back ack ack

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Stux posted:

this actually is hella stupid the more i think about it lol, the last part about challenging vs time consuming. often it overlaps a lot. a lot of challenging things by their nature take time to learn, or the challenge can be the difficulty of doing something well for a sustained period of time. some people just want shortcuts or prefer much sharper forms of difficulty which is completely acceptable and fine but talking about it like this like ppl who enjoy things that take a long time to learn and overcome are actually just liars and stupid and no one could genuinely want the thing i dont want is really annoying. thanks

They have a point about modern visual design but yeah the rest of it is dumb

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

RE4make has more important problems i.e. Ada's voice actor being really bad.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I haven't played the Separate Ways DLC yet so maybe she's better there but in the base game she's not good

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe
In the extremely racist village of RE5, they employed a fairly nuanced map design by draping animal skins, cloth, and other similar models and textures, along platform edges that you could jump from to reach other areas.

Whenever the yellow paint discussion comes up, it just brings to mind that if Capcom can successfully do this in their extremely racist village, then other game companies can too.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

lmfao yes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cant you just include a button to press that points an arrow where you need to go

people can press it or not press it
problem solved

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Note Block posted:

In the extremely racist village of RE5, they employed a fairly nuanced map design by draping animal skins, cloth, and other similar models and textures, along platform edges that you could jump from to reach other areas.

Whenever the yellow paint discussion comes up, it just brings to mind that if Capcom can successfully do this in their extremely racist village, then other game companies can too.

next resident evil to be set in the UK with the way forward marked by a trail of racist eggs

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

cant you just include a button to press that points an arrow where you need to go

problem solved

Just a note that 1) an arrow pointing in a direction is called a compass and 2) these suck in 3D environments because the arrow doesn't tell you anything about how to get to the destination, just the direction you need to head in, which is almost never linear

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

God of War 2018 was such dogshit lol

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

next resident evil to be set in the UK with the way forward marked by a trail of racist eggs

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Waffleman_ posted:

Jesus there's been like 500 posts, I need the FFXVI Active Lore System to come up here so I can catch up

The recap is you should play the Yakuza/Like a Dragon series and The Elder Scrolls 3- Morrowind.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

back in my day you had one direction to go in and you had to figure out yourself what it was. there was no internet, no "jimpy" stream to watch as a guide.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

problem solved

It depends heavily on the style of game. A lot of games have this kind of stuff but it doesn't always work, especially in fully 3D environments.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no i mean like a crazy taxi style arrow over your head

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Endorph posted:

problem solved

i think a problem with this kind of thing is, you don't really know if the game was designed with using this in mind.

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

i need to watch the ENA yt shorts i heard they're good

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

RE4make has more important problems i.e. Ada's voice actor being really bad.

I actually didn't mind her VO in the base game, because she sounded dry and arch in a way i thought was appropriate for her character but apparently she sucks rear end in the dlc. rip

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

this is environmental storytelling this dude was carrying the yellow paint and he binned it knocked himself out and spilled the paint

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

in the dlc it feels like she misread every single line so its likely a direction issue as well

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I liked how Ghost of Tsushima did it where you pressed a button and the wind would blow in the direction you’re supposed to go.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

What if you love yellow paint but hate disabled gamers...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Ibram Gaunt posted:

What if you love yellow paint but hate disabled gamers...?

make the whole game all yellow