Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Annath posted:

Uh, did this early issues get patched eventually, or do you need a spreadsheet of "game says this, but actually means that"?
Octo 2 never got fixed. If something looks like it's useless it's probably something you should try out a few times to see if it behaves like the tooltip reads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Clarste posted:

Even on the same team, it can be hard to communicate sometimes when you don't know which things are important enough to note.

But honestly something like that sounds like a copy-paste error more than anything else. Staring at a list of nearly identical text (exactly the same except element/power/debuff switched out) can be pretty mind-numbing.

You've done some work on game translation, right? I feel like you have mentioned something like that in the thread in the past, or at least it certainly sounds like you know a fair amount about it.

I'm curious, with the translation process do you basically have one main translator doing a pass on any given chunk of game text? I ask because I've done some work on manga in the past, but always as a "rewriter/adapter", so I don't ever really do any translation, I just roll through the text and check for inconsistencies, natural language, missing translations, etc. Is there a similar position on game translation teams, or is that all under the umbrella of the translators?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

MockingQuantum posted:

You've done some work on game translation, right? I feel like you have mentioned something like that in the thread in the past, or at least it certainly sounds like you know a fair amount about it.

I'm curious, with the translation process do you basically have one main translator doing a pass on any given chunk of game text? I ask because I've done some work on manga in the past, but always as a "rewriter/adapter", so I don't ever really do any translation, I just roll through the text and check for inconsistencies, natural language, missing translations, etc. Is there a similar position on game translation teams, or is that all under the umbrella of the translators?

I've only been a contractor, so I don't know how different it might be for in-house translators, but usually they just send us a chunk of text with a deadline and we split it up between ourselves. Usually based on who's available more than anything else, since the deadlines tend to be pretty short. There's a 2nd job, the editor, whose job it is to both fix typos/awkward writing and keep things consistent. This includes keeping character voices consistent, so in a sense you could call them the head "writer" of the localization. That's basically what you were doing.

That said, having exactly one person be the bottleneck for all the text in the game becomes increasingly impractical in larger projects, so you might have multiple editors in charge of different things.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 4, 2024

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
For the record, as a contractor it's not especially unusual to temporarily bring in more people to meet a deadline. For example, I've worked on one of the SRW games, but only touched 2 stages and some enemy grunt battle lines. I still have no idea what happens in the rest of the game. But it's the editor's job to fix any inconsistencies I might have added.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

ImpAtom posted:

One of the funniest examples of this is the famous FFX "I want to be a Blitzball when I grow up" line, where the error is there in the original Japanese version too. (But corrected in the HD Japanese re-release.) It's like the Devil's Bible but for stupid kids.

Unattainable dreams are the best kind

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Rascyc posted:

Octo 2 never got fixed. If something looks like it's useless it's probably something you should try out a few times to see if it behaves like the tooltip reads.

just looked up the mistranslated skills and holy poo poo

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

RPGsite review for The Thaumaturge is out. They are pretty positive, say it has lots of rough edges, but clearly made with care and enthusiasm. I, sadly, have bought and installed it, but will not be able to try it until my lunch break today.

These tidbits about the battle system are intriguing. The game defaulting you to Hard mode and encouraging you to get XP through non combat investigation stuff, swapping your 1 partner demon out freely each turn, the ability to build for enemy turn negation or debuffing. I'm interested in the idea of a game that gives me fewer more substantial fights and a lot of ability to prepare and tailor my approach to each one.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I do find it interesting that your investigation stats are tied to your skill tree, so you don't need to do the immersive sim thing where you're either a lethal combatant who bumbles his ways through investigation and social scenes, or you're a master detective but worthless in combat.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Been playing more Undernauts and I have come to the conclusion that the dungeons in Experience games that have underwater currents are worse than any teleport maze out there.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Srice posted:

Been playing more Undernauts and I have come to the conclusion that the dungeons in Experience games that have underwater currents are worse than any teleport maze out there.

At least this time it doesnt also disable abilities.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
finished adventures of cookie & cream. this is the end of my current burst through from's old games. at least until i feel like playing king's field iv and evergrace 2

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my final word is that i should be able to collect cream's head umbrella from cookies & cream and wear it on my head in elden ring

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

The Colonel posted:

evergrace 2

Don't rush back for this one, I remember it being dulllllllllll

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Just finished the intro cutscene for Thaumaturge and saved. Hopefully will get to play a little more after work tonight. I love the vibes in this. They set up the tense ambivalence of Wiktor's relationship with his family, the desperation and uncertainty of your quest, and enough hints about the nature of the demonology nonsense to get me super curious about where things are going to go from here. I feel as hyped as I ever felt at the beginning of a Persona game, though this is almost certainly a different kind of game in many respects.

Your starting demon buddy appears in little flickers and flashes, extremely fun seeing it gradually intrude more and more on what Wiktor's trying to do.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I think I hosed up Ashton's quest in SO2R: the cutscenes won't play in the Mountain Palace at all, and no boss is present. This may be because I already did the Hoffman Ruins stuff but I can't find any reference to this online, only the later point of no return.

Gotta say this might be the thing that makes me give up on this game. I think it's a pretty bad game and while the authentic remaster is admirable on paper, the part where it is a remake of a bad game means no one should bother playing it except people with nostalgia for the original. At no point in the last 15 hours of gameplay have I felt remotely engaged with any aspect of this game's world, mechanics, or characters. Well, except Ashton's dragons, and now I don't even get to see their story through. Just not a good video game, wasting both $40 and my time.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

avoraciopoctules posted:

Just finished the intro cutscene for Thaumaturge and saved. Hopefully will get to play a little more after work tonight. I love the vibes in this. They set up the tense ambivalence of Wiktor's relationship with his family, the desperation and uncertainty of your quest, and enough hints about the nature of the demonology nonsense to get me super curious about where things are going to go from here. I feel as hyped as I ever felt at the beginning of a Persona game, though this is almost certainly a different kind of game in many respects.

Your starting demon buddy appears in little flickers and flashes, extremely fun seeing it gradually intrude more and more on what Wiktor's trying to do.

Also really enjoying this so far. World is just really interesting and I've enjoyed navigating through quests

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

I think I hosed up Ashton's quest in SO2R: the cutscenes won't play in the Mountain Palace at all, and no boss is present. This may be because I already did the Hoffman Ruins stuff but I can't find any reference to this online, only the later point of no return.

Gotta say this might be the thing that makes me give up on this game. I think it's a pretty bad game and while the authentic remaster is admirable on paper, the part where it is a remake of a bad game means no one should bother playing it except people with nostalgia for the original. At no point in the last 15 hours of gameplay have I felt remotely engaged with any aspect of this game's world, mechanics, or characters. Well, except Ashton's dragons, and now I don't even get to see their story through. Just not a good video game, wasting both $40 and my time.

Yeah, you've gone way too far to get Ashton if you're doing the Hoffman Ruins- you need to check out the Salva Mines once you hear people talking about it way back before entering the tournament, IIRC right around when you cross to the 2nd Continent- I forget the exact cutoff for him, but if you've started the Tournament or gone to Linga, you've missed your chance. If you've done Hoffman, you've also missed Opera, Ernest, and Welch too if you haven't gotten any of them.

SO2 is an old game, and it runs on old game logic a lot- it expects you to at least go poke at sidequests once they're available and not put them off until you feel like it. Often the time between hearing about something tied to a sidequest and it closing off forever can be as short as traveling to the next town over for the first time or progressing to the next major story event. And especially if missable content is something that puts you off, yeah, SO2R is probably not the game for you.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

avoraciopoctules posted:

I had to stop after only about 45 minutes due to a building headache, but the opening is extremely promising to me. If the writing and mechanics actually pay off like they're offering, then you will have real incentive to be a smug rear end in a top hat wizard even if it causes you problems, because indulging your worse nature boosts your powers.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

GateOfD posted:

all my materia is gone and i'm back down to lv15 in rebirth.
guess my weapons are materia slots v2.0 and the old orbments aren't compatible.
... What does carry over if you have save data from the first one?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Zereth posted:

... What does carry over if you have save data from the first one?

Leviathan Summon - Save data for Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Ramuh Summon - Save data for Final Fantasy 7 Remake Episode INTERmission
Kupo Charm - Save data for Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth demo
Survival Set - Save data for Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth demo

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

YggiDee posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4028862&pagenumber=1562&perpage=40&userid=0#post538139141

tldr: The Dark Id, Let's Play forum darling, announced that he was dying with cancer today, and then Slowbeef and several other people reveal that he's almost certainly been fabricating everything about his personal life for nearly two decades.

You know, I knew some of the stuff he said, like his teenage daughter dying of "something" (although, I did find it odd how at a certain point, he just stops talking about his other child entirely), but I never had reason to doubt it beforehand.

International Mercenary Super Star Caleb Cross was absolutely not something I expected to hear today, holy poo poo

MechaX fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 5, 2024

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Barudak posted:

At least this time it doesnt also disable abilities.

Yea true! If the fights in that area also sucked to get through it would truly be the worst thing.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Mr. Locke posted:

Yeah, you've gone way too far to get Ashton if you're doing the Hoffman Ruins- you need to check out the Salva Mines once you hear people talking about it way back before entering the tournament, IIRC right around when you cross to the 2nd Continent- I forget the exact cutoff for him, but if you've started the Tournament or gone to Linga, you've missed your chance. If you've done Hoffman, you've also missed Opera, Ernest, and Welch too if you haven't gotten any of them.

so that's the thing: I didn't miss getting Ashton! He's in my party just fine. but what I seem to have missed is the ability to finish his side quest chain about removing the dragons from his back, because while I talked to the king of Crosse earlier and he told me to go to the Mountain Palace, I did some other stuff, and now upon going to the Mountain Palace, the boss that should be here won't spawn

idk I might try to burn through the back half of this game since I seem comically overpowered at this point anyways by just... playing the game normally, but it's really not got much going on to keep me engaged

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

abraham linksys posted:

so that's the thing: I didn't miss getting Ashton! He's in my party just fine. but what I seem to have missed is the ability to finish his side quest chain about removing the dragons from his back, because while I talked to the king of Crosse earlier and he told me to go to the Mountain Palace, I did some other stuff, and now upon going to the Mountain Palace, the boss that should be here won't spawn

idk I might try to burn through the back half of this game since I seem comically overpowered at this point anyways by just... playing the game normally, but it's really not got much going on to keep me engaged

The fast travel menu tells you where ever there's a quest or private action available and they're almost always missable so it's best practice to do them immediately

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

fridge corn posted:

The fast travel menu tells you where ever there's a quest or private action available and they're almost always missable so it's best practice to do them immediately

the fast travel menu does not tell you where to go for Ashton's quest steps, which is where it presumably would have shown the little "time limited" icon, if only it showed in the first place

(I know this because the series of events was right after I got Ashton, I talked to the King of Crosse, who said to go to the Ruins and then up to the mountain with the bird on it, but I misread it and went to bird mountain first because it didn't show me where to go on the fast travel menu, then I thought "eh I'll go back for the Ruins later," and apparently I can't now, very cool)

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Geez, basic Fire/Ice/Lightning spells in the original FF7 are basically trash, huh

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ace Transmuter posted:

Geez, basic Fire/Ice/Lightning spells in the original FF7 are basically trash, huh

They're pretty fine for the time point you have them since they're better than Aerith attacking with her stick and give you ranged options besides Barret (useful for a couple of fights) but once you get tier 2 you have no reason to go back.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

wow, Unicorn Overlord is tough.
tried the demo, and went Expert.
I think when the game releases, i restart and just do standard. Cause its not fun feeling limp for half the battle because a random unit in your squad dies.

and I probably just pair my squad with the cutest and fun ones rather than the meta so yea.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

GateOfD posted:

and I probably just pair my squad with the cutest and fun ones rather than the meta so yea.

thank you for dealing 5d20 psychic damage to me

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a valid strat

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

when RPGs make the most bland and boring characters also the most objectively powerful/useful it is a really tragic design failure imo

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

GateOfD posted:

wow, Unicorn Overlord is tough.
tried the demo, and went Expert.
I think when the game releases, i restart and just do standard. Cause its not fun feeling limp for half the battle because a random unit in your squad dies.

You can change difficulty for free at any time, no need to restart (unless you want to, I guess).

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

oh it's the inverse that's hurting me, you absolutely should use the cutest and coolest characters

it's the thought of the word meta anywhere in proximity to a single player game that's murdering me

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

victrix posted:

oh it's the inverse that's hurting me, you absolutely should use the cutest and coolest characters

it's the thought of the word meta anywhere in proximity to a single player game that's murdering me

Oh yeah then I agree wholeheartedly

And actually after I posted that I was trying to think of examples and couldn't come up with many. I think it might be slightly more common that the most interesting/unique characters sometimes are designed in ways that make them less optimal to use, and the only example I could think of off the top of my head is Kimahri in FFX and Fran in FFXII, but I also might be the only person in the world who likes Kimahri

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

when RPGs make the most bland and boring characters also the most objectively powerful/useful is a really tragic design failure imo

I liked it in Suikoden 5 when you could recruit this dude Richard, who just seems like a random nice soldier guy who gets teased a bit.

And then it turns out if you recruit him and use him in battle he is insanely loving OP because his father was a crazy person who forced him to train nonstop as a child until one of the other characters came along, saw what his dad was doing, and loving murdered his dad to save Richard, but by that point Richard was an insane broken swordgod of a man and there's just all this random backstory for Generic McNormalguy who seems like a dorky weirdo and not arguably the strongest character in the game.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I liked it in Suikoden 5 when you could recruit this dude Richard, who just seems like a random nice soldier guy who gets teased a bit.

And then it turns out if you recruit him and use him in battle he is insanely loving OP because his father was a crazy person who forced him to train nonstop as a child until one of the other characters came along, saw what his dad was doing, and loving murdered his dad to save Richard, but by that point Richard was an insane broken swordgod of a man.

ah but in this case it's almost like the Interesting Number Paradox of RPG characters (though not really because that backstory is insane)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Ace Transmuter posted:

They're cheap ways to turn on weapon elements when you get the appropriate skills (I found this a little convoluted at first, but it's in the skill trees when you see those abilities that do elemental damage with a final "enhance the <element> materia" line). They can also apply pressure but I think elemental abilities are a bit better about that?

But like a lot of things in Rebirth, there seems like multiple ways to do things so I think you can just ignore them too if you want

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Rascyc posted:

They're cheap ways to turn on weapon elements when you get the appropriate skills (I found this a little convoluted at first, but it's in the skill trees when you see those abilities that do elemental damage with a final "enhance the <element> materia" line). They can also apply pressure but I think elemental abilities are a bit better about that?

But like a lot of things in Rebirth, there seems like multiple ways to do things so I think you can just ignore them too if you want

Think you missed the word 'original' in there

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

victrix posted:

FTFY

Also, I assume people were talking about Star Ocean 2 Remake when discussing missable content?

I'm definitely going to have to use a guide when playing that because I have A Thing™ about missable stuff in games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Annath posted:

FTFY

Also, I assume people were talking about Star Ocean 2 Remake when discussing missable content?

I'm definitely going to have to use a guide when playing that because I have A Thing™ about missable stuff in games.

At the very least the game is pretty replayable because there's enough restrictions in character recruitment that it takes 2 playthroughs to get to use every character. And at least 4 playthroughs if you want to get all the PAs, interactions/endings that are possible too. So you can play once blind then do newgame+ to get what you missed. With the skips /fast travel you can finish your new game+ run in a fraction of the time it took the first.

Though one benefit though with this version of the game is that it will tell you when there's a missable quest or PA in a town. So long as you frequently check the fast travel map. Basically you should do it every time you progress the story or arrive at a new location but it works.

Biggest missable thing to just keep in mind Make sure to do the PA in Kurik when you get there for the first time. Just do it immediately before doing anything else.