Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

How do people go about comparing builds for the same class? I leveled bleed warlock, and specialized Spirit Plague, Cthonic Fissure, Chaos Bolts, Rip Blood and Bone curse. Those last 2 aren't on my bars but get procc'd from chaos bolts. (I was using transplant, plauge, fissure, bolts, and bone golem for aggro)

I'm seeing other builds where they have the skill that lets chaos bolts proc Harvest instead of rip blood, don't specialize bone curse, and go into ghostfire for defense/more curses and ailments. Is it just testing only?

I also saw there was a bunch of warlock stuff that procs if you get cursed yourself, not sure what does that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

Is there a specific reward for Sanctum keys?

Nope, it's purely random drops (and one of the special chests that drops a bunch of keys, but that's random too). The chest (not the orange hedron shape thing) you get for clearing a monolith can have any monster drop as well, so it might pop out of there.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
the game is still largely unexplored in a metagaming sense. people are just playing stuff they think looks cool, for the most part

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice
Anyone got advice for starting out as a HC mode acolyte? What I would really like is a way to generate ward early, but that doesn’t seem possible outside a fairly crappy passive.

Thoughts on masteries? Lich looks good but I could use elemental damage life leach with a warlock I guess?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

exquisite tea posted:

When people are talking about Lagon being overtuned, do they mean the story or the monolith? Story Lagon took me a few tries but the monolith one is simply ridiculous for the level, I was clearing the 90s before finally killing him.

Lol just got to this and it’s gonna take me a few times. I’m a level 75?ish Surge/Static/Flamebrand sword mage and the combination of stun + stagger + push + multiple one-shot attacks is kinda rough. I have enough ward generation that I can ignore everything else as long as I’m wailing on a tentacle, but I’ve gotten him to 25-30% two or three times and then get bumped into a one-shot.

The build feels pretty good so far, I surge into stuff and autocast a full-stack Static on landing; flamebrand refills my static charges insanely fast. Need to figure out mana + mana regen though; theres a static node that bumps damage for every charge used but it also uses a boatload of mana.

LegoMan posted:

Are there any other fun autocast/proc builds?
There’s a spellblade mage build that I havent really figured out yet that’s like 6 steps of recursive autocasting. Melee skill procs frost claw procs lightning blasts procs static charges on enemies. If you use Mana Strike for the melee skill you can also proc static charges direct from it as well.

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 5, 2024

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Dreissi posted:

Anyone got advice for starting out as a HC mode acolyte? What I would really like is a way to generate ward early, but that doesn’t seem possible outside a fairly crappy passive.

Thoughts on masteries? Lich looks good but I could use elemental damage life leach with a warlock I guess?

Rip Blood and Spirit Plague both have fairly early upgrades that grant ward

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice
I didn't even think to check the skill trees for ward. I am very good at this game.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Monolith lagon was tough but it was mostly a survivability thing for me. I eeked out a decent amount of cold and lightning resist basically to the point where the intermission tidal waves wouldn't one shot me and I could accidentally hit a couple. This is when I was still rocking just hp as a necromancer. Getting a few items that drain hp and turn missing hp into ward per second has drastically increased my durability. I still get one shot by profane flesh bombs in 100 corruption tho lol. I think that's kind of reasonable though.

Tangentially I love desecrated and profane flesh models. They look cool. The circle swingy guy's aoe tell does get lost pretty easily on some maps though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I swear he telegraphs the eye beam more than before 1.0. Like it's a big windup now, I remember it being like a difference in the way his eyelid closed. Maybe not.

Also, they got rid of the option to give away the ledger to the gambler and get Gambler's Fallacy, how come?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Dreissi posted:

All of the acolyte masteries are pretty good tbh, Warlock is the most overtuned and the one that people are making like 70k ward on in endgame.

I spec bone golem before unlocking the mastery because it's really tanky and good at attracting enemy attention.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

I swear he telegraphs the eye beam more than before 1.0. Like it's a big windup now, I remember it being like a difference in the way his eyelid closed. Maybe not.

Also, they got rid of the option to give away the ledger to the gambler and get Gambler's Fallacy, how come?

There was some note on it in the recent patch so I think it's bugged.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
someone help me I keep making new characters I've only gotten to empowered monos once

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Spend less on candles rerolling characters

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

LibrarianCroaker posted:

All of the acolyte masteries are pretty good tbh, Warlock is the most overtuned and the one that people are making like 70k ward on in endgame.

I spec bone golem before unlocking the mastery because it's really tanky and good at attracting enemy attention.

Bone golem is very strong even without specializing, and then you don't have to go through the trouble of unspecializing it when you get your mastery. I'm level 76 and still using an unspecialized bone golem. I only have to resummon him a couple times per echo, though I'm thinking of switching to ghostfire

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

theshim posted:

someone help me I keep making new characters I've only gotten to empowered monos once

Play the game in the way you enjoy. If making new characters is fun, keep doing it.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Noper Q posted:

Play the game in the way you enjoy. If making new characters is fun, keep doing it.

MODS??

nerox
May 20, 2001

theshim posted:

:same: Except I have two characters at empowered monos.

I am also very good at getting characters up in level with very few idol and bonus passive points. :downs:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Theres definitely not many big exciting goals once you start pounding empowered monoliths, since like, legendaries are honestly not that exciting.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

theshim posted:

When I first bought this game I made like 8 characters just trying out a good chunk of all the Subclasses.
I almost never ever do that in games.

I think someone ITT said it, but an interesting "feature" for PoE is that they can always introduce a new Skill Gem / Support gem to introduce new mechanics and builds which I thought was an interesting point. With this game's more rigid "character class" system, I wonder if they're concerned about keeping characters feeling fresh/exciting and if so how they'll do that. I feel like new season mechanics and items wouldn't necessarily be enough.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Sab669 posted:

When I first bought this game I made like 8 characters just trying out a good chunk of all the Subclasses.
I almost never ever do that in games.

I think someone ITT said it, but an interesting "feature" for PoE is that they can always introduce a new Skill Gem / Support gem to introduce new mechanics and builds which I thought was an interesting point. With this game's more rigid "character class" system, I wonder if they're concerned about keeping characters feeling fresh/exciting and if so how they'll do that. I feel like new season mechanics and items wouldn't necessarily be enough.

They could probably just add uniques that do things other than stats. like instead of "when you do x, get Y% to Z" they could have legendaries that change the way certain skills work, or auto cast a skill, or something. Having set items be viable would also help

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

A Moose posted:

They could probably just add uniques that do things other than stats. like instead of "when you do x, get Y% to Z" they could have legendaries that change the way certain skills work, or auto cast a skill, or something. Having set items be viable would also help

LE already has Uniques that can completely change or enable builds that otherwise wouldn't exist. There are also idols that are required for specific build interactions. Almost no unique in the game that I can think of just does 'stats'.. they all have some sort of strange traits that make them odd and 'unique'.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

You can always add more skill and abilities and masteries.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hauki posted:

For what it’s worth there’s no such thing as local modifiers in last epoch, so there’s no real difference in “your bow’s damage,” however you parse it. If you’re actually scaling the bleed, the increased physical is better because it affects the dot and the bow damage wouldn’t.

Does it still do that if the bleed was inflicted by a minion (the falcon)? Because there is a divide between Minion stuff and normal stuff, and the falcon has nodes which let it scale off some things but not everything.

The Locator posted:

You definitely want to include health, both flat and percentage. Depending on your build you may also have some amazing idols out there that add various trigger effects or massive damage boosts, or shred armor, etc.
There's also some idols which have more significant effects, like on 2x2 acolyte idols you can get chance to summon Flame Wraiths instead of normal , which you'll need if you want to guarantee getting flame wraiths because the relevant node in summon wraith is only like 30% chance.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

A Moose posted:

This is a strength of LE right now (uniques that are build enabling or substantially change abilities) although sets definitely need a lot of love.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Suprfli6 posted:

This is a strength of LE right now (uniques that are build enabling or substantially change abilities) although sets definitely need a lot of love.

Improved and meta sets have to be coming in a future season. Everyone loving loves sets, and they can enable wild stuff when you start doing 2/3 + 4/7 set combos or whatever. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they are holding back on them until they feel they've really got their hands on the late game meta & economy. There is already so much whacky stuff you can do and I'm just a dumb baby at the game.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Dreissi posted:

Dont pivot into ward too early, focus on life, resists and damage. A good ward option thats useful on both Mage and Acolyte is gambling for a Ritual Stone offhand at lvl12. It has Int and 10-17 ward/sec which gives you a lot of sustain for those dangerous early levels, but the important part here is the constant trickle of ward, you don't really need to invest anything into ward retention at this point.
Wandering Spirits and Spirit Plague can carry you easily through the early game. Use Skeletons as meat shields and replace them with your Golem around lvl10. If you're going Warlock you will switch into Chthonic Fissure at lvl15 and never look back, its seriously stupidly op. As Lich you will stick with those two skills for a while longer since Reaper Form is just a buff and needs other skills to carry your damage.
As Necromancer you can still work with Wandering Spirits/Spirit Plague. The only minion really worth putting any points into early is your Bone Golem, but you can start doing that at 20. Also worth leveling can be Summon Volatile Zombie.

All three masteries are good. Warlock is giga broken and thats without even talking about the bugs that make her way way stronger.
Lich is a bit finicky and not as intuitive as basically all other masteries, but its tanky and it leeches a lot of life and is well suited for HC in general. Death Seal, which is an extremely powerful self-buff unique to Lich, removes all your Ward on use, so you're exclusively a Life build (unless you skip it, but I'm not sure thats a good idea)
Necromancer really doesn't want a minion army but one big minion that you boost into infinity with Dread Shade. That can be a Skeletal Archmage, Abomination, Bone Golem or Wraithlord, so there are options, but if you want a bunch of followers you're probably better off with Beastmaster. Its also probably the most item dependent since you don't have easy ways to stack sustain like Lich or Warlock

Wuxi fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 5, 2024

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Quote is not edit

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
hell yeah, just finished 1st monolith Lagon in one last go, this build kinda owns. Spellblade with Frost Claw, Flame Brand, Static, Enchant Weapon, & Surge specced, active skills are Surge, Ench Wep, Teleport, Static, Flamebrand. It's mostly a two/three button build - Ench weapon casts itself & Frost Claw autocasts off procs. Most of the time it's hitting stuff for a few seconds with Flamebrand then either dumping your static charges with Surge or Static. Teleport is there just for utility movement in echoes, since it goes a lot farther than Surge, around corners, etc. They share cooldowns but you don't actually give up too much DPS since you can just cast Static manually. And a few +ward for melee hits/stack use nodes means your ward goes through the roof as long as you're hitting stuff.

Static autocast by Surge doesnt share a cooldown with Static cast directly, either, which is nice for procs. Like I said earlier tho I really need to figure out some mana-on-hit type stuff or mana regen synergies with uniques/equiopment/idols cause then I can throw on the + damage per static charge used node and put my damage through the roof

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

A Moose posted:

How do people go about comparing builds for the same class? I leveled bleed warlock, and specialized Spirit Plague, Cthonic Fissure, Chaos Bolts, Rip Blood and Bone curse. Those last 2 aren't on my bars but get procc'd from chaos bolts. (I was using transplant, plauge, fissure, bolts, and bone golem for aggro)

I'm seeing other builds where they have the skill that lets chaos bolts proc Harvest instead of rip blood, don't specialize bone curse, and go into ghostfire for defense/more curses and ailments. Is it just testing only?

I also saw there was a bunch of warlock stuff that procs if you get cursed yourself, not sure what does that.

Warlock/Falconer are new, so the maxroll builds for those were (afaik) based on limited pre-release play for select people and/or blind theorycrafting. I'd imagine builds for other classes were less of a shakeup and had months of people testing and tweaking. That's not to say the Torment/Bleed builds up on maxroll are bad or anything, just that they're a first attempt.

The LizardIRL bleed build (I assume that's what you're referencing) has a key synergy with the Life's Journey shield. Harvest is considered a melee attack, so with sufficient points in Dex you're making Chaos Bolts cast your Spirit Plague for you. Harvest is aoe so it'll probably nab more than one enemy, and then other bolts will crit and spread plague to others, and then more bolts will proc Harvest on cursed targets and proc Withering, and enough bolts will freeze, and a dozen other debuffs will happen, and and and...

Aspect of Death in the warlock tree will self-curse you with Damned. There's probably several other methods as well, though it's always the universal "inflict myself with a debuff that doesn't matter and is really a buff" situation.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I'm getting back into this game after playing a bunch of solo during beta. So if this is now online presumably there's an economy? Is there an auction house or a website like PoE? I'm just running the campaign for the first time now so not a big deal, just thinking out loud.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I'm getting back into this game after playing a bunch of solo during beta. So if this is now online presumably there's an economy? Is there an auction house or a website like PoE? I'm just running the campaign for the first time now so not a big deal, just thinking out loud.

Online is opt-in. You can play totally offline if desired but you're limited to the Circle of Fortune faction which makes sense given how the other faction works. The Merchant's Guild, the other faction, has access to the bazaar which is the player run economy where players in that faction (CoF players cannot use it) can buy and sell items posted in it for in game gold and is taxed with favor, the currency for the factions by playing the game and engaging in the faction systems. It's all in game, no need for things like TFT. Right now people are still figuring out the economy so there's been instances of people just posting stuff free to pump their faction rank as it's that what limits to what can be bought and sold.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 6, 2024

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Salvor_Hardin posted:

When you get to act 9 you get to choose between the in-game auction house faction and the lots of extra loot drops faction

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
listing something for 0 gold doesn't get you any more rep, you get the same amount of rep regardless of the price it's listed at.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Tonetta posted:

listing something for 0 gold doesn't get you any more rep, you get the same amount of rep regardless of the price it's listed at.

I mean in the sense of getting many transactions done easily.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Cool, thats a neat system. I am legit impressed by the innovations in this game. Looking forward to getting to the end game so I can get off of this janky leveling build for Lich and try some cool stuff.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Got a couple questions for you guys out there. Is there any reason why I can go into negative mana? Is it just a network lag thing?

And is there any good filters out there or any tips on what I should set on mine? With everything being identified on drop it kind of makes sense that I could just filter out tons of garbage while showing only the good stuff.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Cool, thats a neat system. I am legit impressed by the innovations in this game. Looking forward to getting to the end game so I can get off of this janky leveling build for Lich and try some cool stuff.

It's one of the most impressive things about this game, for me: instead of just auto-piloting into doing things the way they've always been done, it feels like they've looked at every system, asked what purpose it serves, and then asked themselves if they can come up with something that serves that purpose better. From skill trees to loot filters to crafting, it's a philosophy that permeates the whole game. It's also why I'm not worried about the bits of the game that are kind of janky right now; it's a lot easier to fix bugs than to fix a completely wrong approach to a problem

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Got a couple questions for you guys out there. Is there any reason why I can go into negative mana? Is it just a network lag thing?

My understanding is that negative mana exists because of skills triggering other skills and still costing mana. It's intended design, not a result of network conditions

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Tarnop posted:

It's one of the most impressive things about this game, for me: instead of just auto-piloting into doing things the way they've always been done, it feels like they've looked at every system, asked what purpose it serves, and then asked themselves if they can come up with something that serves that purpose better. From skill trees to loot filters to crafting, it's a philosophy that permeates the whole game. It's also why I'm not worried about the bits of the game that are kind of janky right now; it's a lot easier to fix bugs than to fix a completely wrong approach to a problem

Totally. I'm a 10 year PoE vet and nothing in the genre has ever held a candle (Sorry Grim Dawn) but this has real potential.

The only reason I'm miffed with this leveling build is it doesn't really use all the cool skill synergies I came to love in some previous builds I did in Beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

It's a nice little buffer so that you can still cast a skill while still positive. Greatly appreciated honestly.