Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

big scary monsters posted:

To be fair I would also like to see this.

something like 18% would work for me, with some adjustments dependent on height

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Tesseraction posted:

Remember hearing him talk to mum on the phone like a year ago ranting about how a family in-law was a "capitalist pig" and hooting to myself

That's like me about 30 years ago completely pissed out of my head in Camden - in my work suit - went to the cashpoint to go get more money to spend on £5 jugs of cocktails with my friends, and this black guy pushed in front of me. I started yelling "fascist pig" at him. He turned round and said "What did you say" (in a menacing way) and I snarled "I said you're a fascist pig" he nodded his head and said "Oh, that's ok". I guess he thought I said something racist.
When I sobered up I thought I bet that's the first time a woman in a business suit called him a fascist pig.
NOT my proudest moment.

big scary monsters posted:

We're like a decade from the Poles complaining about all those damned Brits coming over there, taking their jobs, opening their weird fish and chip shops, and not even learning the language.

Almost back to the Boys from the Blackstuff era except that was Germany not Poland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aObZJN9zDtA

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 5, 2024

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Like the idea of a guy who was like "yeah you could compare me to the perpetrators of crimes against humanity but if you called me Congolese I'd have your loving throat madam."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Question IRL posted:

Okay, so this is something that has come up twice now from people talking about the Guardian Article.

Saying "just downsize your car or get a cheap second hand car" is a justifiable position, when you are just a singleton who looks after yourself and maybe a pet.

When you have kids, literally everything terrifies you on some level that it will in some way kill your kids.
That sliced chicken that is one day past it's best before date? I'll be fine to eat that.
But give it to your kid? Hell no, they could get sick.

This also applies to cars. When you have kids, you want a safe car. That means you are reluctant to get a car that's too cheap, for fear it's a death trap. Then you have to look at a larger car that can hold you kids. And you want a car that is safer for the kids to be in.

It's one of the reasons there are so many SUV's out there.

Just saying "just downsize in cars" isn't necessary helpful as you are probably comparing your personal situation to his. Much like what the elderly are doing when they say stuff like "just save and get a house. That's what I did in the 70's! Why can't you?"

I would suggest this is a combination argument 1: against having kids and 2: that it's better to flatten other people's kids with your commuter tank than accept risk to your own.

There is nothing stopping you from driving a normal car with 2 children except that unspoken assumption, which I think is a bad one?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

In very clear I HAVEN'T BEEN SACKED news:
https://twitter.com/danwootton/status/1765066867293720987

e: He's literally panhandling. I think I'll stick to the free tier

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 5, 2024

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/danwootton/status/1765066867293720987

e: He's literally panhandling. I think I'll stick to the free tier

good to hear he's not mad

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The toilet was in such bad condition that I shat in my kecks on purpose. Please tell everyone it was on purpose and there were communists near the toilet.

Also please give me a fiver to buy some new ones.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2024/mar/05/talktv-to-close-down-television-channel-and-go-online-only

quote:

TalkTV to close down television channel and go online only
Move announced by News UK venture comes weeks after Piers Morgan left his daily show on channel

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

The toilet was in such bad condition that I shat in my kecks on purpose. Please tell everyone it was on purpose and there were communists near the toilet.

Also please give me a fiver to buy some new ones.

Would you be able to buy new communists for a fiver? He'll, I'm not sure you could get many second hand ones for that price.

OwlFancier posted:

I would suggest this is a combination argument 1: against having kids and 2: that it's better to flatten other people's kids with your commuter tank than accept risk to your own.

There is nothing stopping you from driving a normal car with 2 children except that unspoken assumption, which I think is a bad one?

I don't know if it's an irrational fear.

Like I said, I was involved in a car accident last year. A small car (Reneut Clio) went into the back of my Rav 4. I then went into the back of a BMW.

I was a bit stiff and sore afterwards but by the weekend I was fine. The main thing I took out of that was the car absorbed all the damage.
Had my child been in the car (I'm thankful she wasn't) I hope she'd have been unhurt like I was.

So basically when I got my new car, I went with an SUV sized one in case I was ever in an accident like that again and I had the family in the car, I'd hope they'd be all safe like I was.

And I guess with the knowledge that I needed to drive slowly and safely in estates or other places with kids.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

there are some mushrooms you can only eat once without ketchuping them,

What does this meannnnnnn

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Terry Pratchett posted:

All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once.

The Question IRL posted:

Would you be able to buy new communists for a fiver? He'll, I'm not sure you could get many second hand ones for that price.
I think that's one of the premises behind George Galloway's party.

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

What does this meannnnnnn

Poisonous unless processed

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

Gotta remember that Engels was loving loaded and Marx mooched off of him til his dying day. Being rich doesn't make you an evil oval office, being evil and a oval office does.
I only found out the other day when Engels informed him his mother had died, to which Marx wrote back to the effect of 'Sad. Anyway, how about some more of that money though' and Engels lost it.

he just like me fr fr

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He would have been such a good poster

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The safest car for both occupants and other road users is a bus. Unfortunately the state running cheap and frequent buses where people actually need to go is communism, so the only remaining solution is to keep increasing the size of cars until they are effectively buses with only 1-2 passengers, driven by yer hungover da who got his license in 1979 and is fiddling with the radio rather than looking at the road. This is called the best of both worlds.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I had a relatively high speed crash in my previous smart fortwo (a car in front of me lost control and came sideways across my lane), hitting them in the side I think. Mine was the smallest of the three cars involved, and I was the least injured person, with only a cut to my knee. Mine was also the only car where the side windows hadn't broken.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Zalakwe posted:

Edit: Can I add as well how openly sexist our system still is. The reason 75k bloke's wife doesn't work is likely because there is simply no point. She can't out earn the childcare costs. She'll have to go back to work later but the decision to have kids will likely hugely impact her career.

Yeah, we worked out it was cheaper for my wife to take the full mat leave (with 3 months £0 pay) vs going back early and incurring the childcare costs for 2 kids.

We were looking at £2k a month for them once my wife goes back in summer, but we're gonna try and get some compressed hours thing on the go to let us free up a day a week and bring that down to £1500.

No idea how that's going to work in practice as my wife's work will only let her compress half a day, but when one day a week saves us £400 a month we're gonna try for sure.

We should be OK once the kids are both in school in 2026, but that nursery cost is putting us closer to the wire than we'd like each month.

Our mortgage goes up next Feb too, so gently caress knows how that's gonna work if it's something silly like an extra £500 a month that a see some folk saying they've had to start paying.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Angrymog posted:

I had a relatively high speed crash in my previous smart fortwo (a car in front of me lost control and came sideways across my lane), hitting them in the side I think. Mine was the smallest of the three cars involved, and I was the least injured person, with only a cut to my knee. Mine was also the only car where the side windows hadn't broken.

Car accidents and the injuries to occupants inside are entirely down to what angle of the impact and what the speed differential is. Cars are pretty safe at driving head on into stationary objects up to like 40-50mph these days, but a car hitting you in the side when you're both doing 50+ is going to cause a lot of damage. iirc most deaths involving car crashes come from either vast differences in weight (Truck into the back of a car in traffic etc) or head on crashes caused by risky overtakes. It doesnt really matter what you're driving in those situations. In normal day to day accidents you would usually want to be in the bigger car and I think injury statistics back that up.

So a 4x4 is usually safer than a Smart car, but then a Volvo estate would be too.

And on the subject of childcare, every nursery in reasonable driving distance from our house costs more than £1600 a month for 40 hours a week of care. The fact childcare isnt free in this country is an absolute crime and yes I'm only posting about it now because it affects me, because I honestly had no loving clue it was that expensive.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Kin posted:

Our mortgage goes up next Feb too, so gently caress knows how that's gonna work if it's something silly like an extra £500 a month that a see some folk saying they've had to start paying.

You could try sticking your details into a mortgage calculator to see how it's looking against today's rates

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/mortgages/mortgage-calculators

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
4by4s are awesome, especially if they're pickup trucks.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

EvilHawk posted:

Been a few articles and tweets over the last couple of days about the prospect of a May 2nd general election (same time as the Locals). Sunak would have to announce this at the end of the month, possibly the 22nd or the 25th, to dissolve Parliament in time.

Normal convention would say that the ruling party destined to be obliterated at the polls should hold onto power for as long as possible. However, the argument against this convention is:

* The polls are going to get much, much worse for Sunak
* The number of illegal immigrants (or more accurately asylum seekers arriving here entirely legally) is going to stay high and potentially get higher, which does not help Sunak's "I stopped the boats!" message
* The economy is likely to continue to tank
* A very poor showing at the local elections may lead Sunak to be ousted before the election happens, therefore he has a vested interest at calling it now so at least he can say he's in charge

We've talked in the thread before about how it's been fairly common knowledge that this will happen. Tory sources are obviously denying it and saying they're in no rush at all, Labour ministers are going on morning shows and placing bets (only a tenner) that it will. I'm not sure what the Lords timetable on the Rwanda bill is, but if they send that back (unless they already have? it wasn't clear from the reporting) I expect that would factor into Rishi's plans. Being able to fight his election on stopping the boats before the numbers get worse for him is at least... something.

Also apparently the Tories lose like 23k voters a month or something just from old people dying.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

He would have been such a good poster

dude loving nuked the first international with a single shitpost, he was a master of the craft

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Convex posted:

You could try sticking your details into a mortgage calculator to see how it's looking against today's rates

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/mortgages/mortgage-calculators

I'll need to double check the figures for that.

Punching stuff in from memory is taking our monthly payments from £960 to £1650 which is.... not good.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

fuctifino posted:

DAN WOOTTON OUTSPOKEN

I cant not read that name as Outspookken in my head.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Kin posted:

I'll need to double check the figures for that.

Punching stuff in from memory is taking our monthly payments from £960 to £1650 which is.... not good.

That should only be happening if you're coming off a 1% mortgage to a 5-6%.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Birmingham council approves biggest budget cuts in local authority history

quote:

Councillors in Birmingham have approved what are thought to be the biggest budget cuts in local authority history, with residents warning that the consequences could be “disastrous” for the city.

Birmingham city council met on Tuesday afternoon to debate and vote on a proposed set of cuts that will see the loss of up to 600 council jobs, arts grants scrapped, libraries closed and bin collections reduced to fortnightly.

They also include funding cuts to adult social care, children’s services, flood defences and highway maintenance, while street lights across the city will be dimmed.

The Labour-run council also approved a 10% council tax increase for the upcoming financial year, after being granted special permission from the government to increase the rate above the national cap on account of the council declaring itself effectively bankrupt in September.

When they say 'funding cuts to adult social care and children’s services', it means they are going to kill more vulnerable people.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Labour suspending a councillor for not voting in favour of "responsible and legal" cuts to social care and flood defences :thumbsup:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

That should only be happening if you're coming off a 1% mortgage to a 5-6%.

Yeah, I'll double check because we renewed it a few years back now so it's been fixed for a while. 1.7% rings a bell.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I hope that young man earning 75k is spending it on the best thing to have NOT been hit by cozzy livs - good old drugs

Seriously it’s wild how the only common drug that’s increased in price in about 20 years is LSD

On cars, I drive a 2012 Sportage because I regularly need to haul a load of stuff around and it’s good for going places with your pals, but tbh I would like a nicer and more fun car at some point. It makes overtaking national express coaches a long, drawn out affair. A couple of grand a month is loving nuts obviously but skewering people on the basis of wanting nicer things is a bit odd. Don’t we all want to be able to go vroooooom on the slip road and relax into a big comfy seat that gets hot in winter, and sing the chorus of Kiss from a Rose dead loud with actually good speakers accompanying us? YES WE DO and if we don’t we should imo

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

fuctifino posted:

Birmingham council approves biggest budget cuts in local authority history

When they say 'funding cuts to adult social care and children’s services', it means they are going to kill more vulnerable people.

Its cool how insulated central government are from these issues at a glance. Just irresponsible councils who don't know how to balance their budgets, overspend on diversity initiatives and invested poorly. They should have been more sensible. Nothing to do the Westminster or the chancellor.

LOL at living in a country where it is even possible for local authorities to go bankrupt.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

MUST ACT LIKE HUMAN

https://x.com/adambienkov/status/1765045757696975234?s=46

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Just convinced my dad to go for a new tesla.

So inheritance may have taken a hit but has perhaps been speeded up.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

That reminded me of a John Harris headline from the other day

"For years, the Tories said austerity was over. But look around: it’s getting worse, and there’s more to come"

Now obviously austerity was never over, but when did the Tories claim it was? I feel like I would have remembered that.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

domhal posted:

Its cool how insulated central government are from these issues at a glance. Just irresponsible councils who don't know how to balance their budgets, overspend on diversity initiatives and invested poorly. They should have been more sensible. Nothing to do the Westminster or the chancellor.

LOL at living in a country where it is even possible for local authorities to go bankrupt.

Well, it's at least 95% of the reason that governments agree to give up control over these things in the first place.
As with most things, a portion of the blame should be held by the journalists who uncritically report on these things, since it allows the governments' narratives of "this is to ensure that local issues can be prioritised; they don't need Whitehall making their decisions" to go unchallenged.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sinky posted:

Labour suspending a councillor for not voting in favour of "responsible and legal" cuts to social care and flood defences :thumbsup:

My "flood defence and social care cuts are responsible and legal" t shirt is raising a lot of questions already answered by the shirt.

Jakabite posted:

I hope that young man earning 75k is spending it on the best thing to have NOT been hit by cozzy livs - good old drugs

Seriously it’s wild how the only common drug that’s increased in price in about 20 years is LSD

On cars, I drive a 2012 Sportage because I regularly need to haul a load of stuff around and it’s good for going places with your pals, but tbh I would like a nicer and more fun car at some point. It makes overtaking national express coaches a long, drawn out affair. A couple of grand a month is loving nuts obviously but skewering people on the basis of wanting nicer things is a bit odd. Don’t we all want to be able to go vroooooom on the slip road and relax into a big comfy seat that gets hot in winter, and sing the chorus of Kiss from a Rose dead loud with actually good speakers accompanying us? YES WE DO and if we don’t we should imo

Cowards rely on the speakers, the courageous belt it out at maximum volume unaccompanied.

My car doesn't have anything except an aux jack and I don't use my phone while driving so if I want to hear something I don't have playing already I just turn the music off and scream it myself.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 5, 2024

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

kingturnip posted:

Well, it's at least 95% of the reason that governments agree to give up control over these things in the first place.
As with most things, a portion of the blame should be held by the journalists who uncritically report on these things, since it allows the governments' narratives of "this is to ensure that local issues can be prioritised; they don't need Whitehall making their decisions" to go unchallenged.

One of my friends is a firm believer that if a Labour council goes bankrupt it is their entire fault because it is up to them how to apportion their budget - nothing to do with budget cuts from Westminster, no accounting for those services councils are legally obliged to provide. I haven't asked her how that tallies with the tory councils also on the verge of - if not already - bankruptcy. (Just avoiding all political discussions with her these days).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

One of my friends is a firm believer that if a Labour council goes bankrupt it is their entire fault because it is up to them how to apportion their budget - nothing to do with budget cuts from Westminster, no accounting for those services councils are legally obliged to provide. I haven't asked her how that tallies with the tory councils also on the verge of - if not already - bankruptcy. (Just avoiding all political discussions with her these days).

Chop a leg off, if she has issues walking tell her it's up to her how to apportion her leg so it's her own fault.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jakabite posted:

Don’t we all want to be able to go vroooooom on the slip road and relax into a big comfy seat that gets hot in winter

Yes, but I can't afford to pay for the heated seats option in my BMW

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Knife chat: thanks for the cleaver suggestions! I got the one with the little hole in the blade. Cleavers should have those imo.

It already arrived and made short work of this. Unfortunately I ate so much delicious roasted squash that I still feel sick hours later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016