Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

IH stealing that guy’s essay was definitely wrong, and he deserved to get called out for it, but it was a bit more complicated than the usual copy-and-paste content theft. The video was very well-produced with a lot of effort put into the narration and visuals, either by him or people he properly credited. That makes it all the more baffling that he wasn’t willing to at least credit the author but it also shows that he wasn’t just being lazy, and he was making the effort add a lot of original elements to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bakeneko posted:

IH stealing that guy’s essay was definitely wrong, and he deserved to get called out for it, but it was a bit more complicated than the usual copy-and-paste content theft. The video was very well-produced with a lot of effort put into the narration and visuals, either by him or people he properly credited. That makes it all the more baffling that he wasn’t willing to at least credit the author but it also shows that he wasn’t just being lazy, and he was making the effort add a lot of original elements to it.

dogg he lifted the text from the article wholesale, like just literally used it as a script and “strategically” changed a word here and added a phrase there

and why are people so quick to be like “this is the only time it happened”, IH has privated and changed dozens of videos for various reasons (mostly endorsement/advertising reasons). Dudes don’t get to 1 million+ subs making a certain kind of video and then suddenly plagiarize an entire article into a script one time.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

dogg he lifted the text from the article wholesale, like just literally used it as a script and “strategically” changed a word here and added a phrase there

The fact that he copied the text isn't in doubt. My point was that there were other elements to the video's presentation that weren't copied. He wasn't just reciting the lines in a monotone over a black screen.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
There's multiple levels to the impact that plagiarism video would have on everyone covered in it. The video game review plagiarist and the guy who plagiarized poo poo in those Angry Video Game Nerd videos were already dead in the water. They'd been conclusively ripped to pieces for years, and more than anything were object lessons in the way plagiarism works with videos and scripts. iilluminaughtii was also old news and had been bouncing around getting trashed for months. The Internet Historian video was notable for how he was trying to downplay and hide what happened and most of his audience hadn't caught on to the plagiarism, but ultimately they weren't going to care that much and could brush it off as "one mistake" at most.

James' plagiarism was pervasive, shameless, and still comparatively obscure enough to be "fresh meat" for the drama vultures to pick over. Honestly, I don't know how much longer he could've avoided things. His channel was getting respectably big, the plagiarism and wild misinformation was so common, and the Telos funding was going nowhere for so long that someone was going to do an expose eventually. He was also picking fights other people with large fan followings. If not a youtube drama video it'd be a TikTok, or a reddit post, or a tweet thread, or a twitch stream. He'd built a business and an online presence on a grossly unstable foundation that was already cracking and shifting.

It sucks becoming a viral punching bag. Especially because it means there's going to be latecomers and people who got that initial high off the drama and won't stop tweaking for another fix or move on. There's that initial rush as it all spills out, and you can't help but marvel at the scope of it all. Then yeah there's weirdos that have to start latching onto every micro update to milk, or who start picking through the bones for any that still have marrow to suck out. Like, we're seeing something really similar on the forums right now with a decade of wild lies collapsing in on itself around a notable former Let's Player.

I really hope he's alive and getting treatment right now and then just logs off, and finds some space IRL to build something new for himself. Like idk take up painting or gardening and read and decompress for a year or two. Don't bother with youtube, just put aside some money and try to live your life and find ways to use those expensive cameras well. Try to make some decent independent shorts on your own terms.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 5, 2024

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think Internet Historian is a bad example because there was only one documented instance of plagiarism, and he didn't respond to the allegations at all. Illuminaughtii on the other hand went full lawyer mode which caused the Streisand effect to happen. If she actually just kept on trucking she probably would have fared a lot better.

I think illuminaughty was already a couple strikes deep for a lot of people given the legal eagle stuff and the C&Ds for all her former collaborators.

IH by contrast was kind of a prolific shithead given his older content, but he also largely keeps his head down and didn't threaten frivolous lawsuits and draw a lot of negative attention to himself that couldn't otherwise be handwaived by his audience.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Thew has a Dammit Open episode, which is not everyone's cup of tea, though I like how it often turns into mini-reviews for whatever people send him and amidst his ramblings has exposed me to a bunch of random neat stuff I've otherwise not known about before
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UugUbtnoC8&hd=1

but in particular, he gives a shoutout to a really cool artist who takes normal bullshit in his house and turns them into spaceships. staplers, tongs, protractors, deodorant, whatever it is, SpaceGooose will make it a spaceship

he even did a loving Kool Aid Burst cap spaceship, which is ABSOLUTELY something I did as a kid

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If James had truly gone away and 6+ months later quietly came back trying to do new stuff without plagiarizing content, then it would be worse to focus on him, but he did try twice so far to hastily get his old videos up in a way they could still be monitized, tried multiple apology videos throwing other people under the bus and shotgunning other excuses like a head injury making him unable to give credit, and had no real moment of reflection.

The goal isn’t to make people hurt or kill themselves, and maybe there are better ways to do it in the execution of the video itself, but that doesn’t mean the call out shouldn’t be made.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think anyone said it shouldnt have been made

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

Arivia posted:

the cd-i, the queerest console ever

80% of the og youtube poopers have came out as queer within the past decade so that tracks

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

Bakeneko posted:

also none of internet historian's fans cared about the plagiarism because theyre all nihilistic edgelords gassed up on the culture war

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Necrothatcher posted:

i mean there was all the weird misogyny
how quickly we forget the hot nazi strongmen apologia.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

yea it's just HB's performance style much like eyepatch wolf isn't actually losing his mind and sad to tears about everything he consumes

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Personally I read HB's tone more as increasing levels of "can you believe this poo poo?" rather than a demonic jester gleefully destroying his enemies.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

SkeletonHero posted:

Personally I read HB's tone more as increasing levels of "can you believe this poo poo?" rather than a demonic jester gleefully destroying his enemies.

Similar to what Cody Johnson does on the Some More News shows.

I really miss the old Cracked.com content people. I know most of them have continued creating in their own little areas, but those few years were really good. loving Facebook and that stupid "pivot to video" scandal.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Crain posted:

Similar to what Cody Johnson does on the Some More News shows.

I really miss the old Cracked.com content people. I know most of them have continued creating in their own little areas, but those few years were really good. loving Facebook and that stupid "pivot to video" scandal.

1-900-Hotdog has a lot of them now, and it’s run by Seanbaby and Robert Brockway. It’s basically cracked without the listicle format and ads.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

bobjr posted:

1-900-Hotdog has a lot of them now, and it’s run by Seanbaby and Robert Brockway. It’s basically cracked without the listicle format and ads.

i keep forgetting to keep up with this more to see if i like it. some articles have been fun

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
its kind of funny to have nostalgia for that because for a while listicles and buzzfeed-ification were considered the symptom of how bad online content was prior to pivot-to-video

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

yea it's just HB's performance style much like eyepatch wolf isn't actually losing his mind and sad to tears about everything he consumes
he absolutely is

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

tbf growing up in ireland would make you sad about most things

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i still have a hard time thinking of video essays without the description of them being always being voiced by "a british guy who sounds constantly on the verge of tears"

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

bobjr posted:

I hadn't heard of that one, but I'm also realizing that I mostly fondly remember the "After Hours" crew, plus Robert Evans. I used to listen to the Small Beans podcast which had Michael Swaim and a bunch of other former After Hours members. Robert Evans has gone full time into his own podcast empire with Cool Zone Media.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

izzzyzzz looks at every pal design in palworld to determine if they're copies or unique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O98EOllnsI

i think their use of the word 'plagiarism' is a bit, idk, juvenile is not the right word but saying a model is shady and then showing a tweet that says it's NOT a node for node copy of the mesh, doesn't help your case

obviously a lot of pals are directly inspired or flat out knockoffs, but calling it plagiarism is a bit like saying Asylum films like Atlantic Rim are plagiarism

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the thing about palworld is that the dev interview made the whole thing seem like a big fangame. like the guy clearly loved pokemon

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Endorph posted:

then an outro where he proudly touts his own morals by linking a bunch of other random Queer Youtubers who are the Good Ones and have definitely never done or said anything wrong, ever. the whole vibe's just weird.
yea i kinda understood the sentiment but definitely a funny way to set your video to age poorly someday. performative good intentions

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

The 7th Guest posted:

juvenile is not the right word
it kinda sounds like it is

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

cumpantry posted:

yea i kinda understood the sentiment but definitely a funny way to set your video to age poorly someday. performative good intentions

Subtext goes over my head, can someone explain the undertone of this? Recommending some smaller channels that you like that people might not have been recommended because youtube's algorithms all suck seems like an okay decision to me.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

cumpantry posted:

gently caress r yall talking about

"Here are the queer writers who were ripped off I was mentioning for over an hour, some weren't even paid a first time, check them out." yes how weird, performative

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

izzzyzzz looks at every pal design in palworld to determine if they're copies or unique

i think their use of the word 'plagiarism' is a bit, idk, juvenile is not the right word but saying a model is shady and then showing a tweet that says it's NOT a node for node copy of the mesh, doesn't help your case

obviously a lot of pals are directly inspired or flat out knockoffs, but calling it plagiarism is a bit like saying Asylum films like Atlantic Rim are plagiarism

I like how she has three “not recommended” Steam reviews scattered around her thumbnail to imply that everyone hates the game… but it’s just three copies of the same one.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

fellas is it Chud to recommend queer youtubers

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

hbomb shouldve been meaner

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I honestly don't give a poo poo if Palworld stole from Pokemon or not. The Pokemon Company is a multi-bajillion dollar media titan that is going to continue to sell games and toys and cards and rake in money hand over fist regardless of whether some guys put knock-off pokemon in their cursed runes game or not. The amount of emotionally-charged discourse over this topic has been absolutely loving asinine, what is wrong with Pokemon fans.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sydin posted:

I honestly don't give a poo poo if Palworld stole from Pokemon or not. The Pokemon Company is a multi-bajillion dollar media titan that is going to continue to sell games and toys and cards and rake in money hand over fist regardless of whether some guys put knock-off pokemon in their cursed runes game or not. The amount of emotionally-charged discourse over this topic has been absolutely loving asinine, what is wrong with Pokemon fans.

They're the exact same kind of people as Disney adults.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Captain Invictus posted:

he even did a loving Kool Aid Burst cap spaceship, which is ABSOLUTELY something I did as a kid

This owns.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

The 7th Guest posted:

https://twitter.com/SupremeDreams_1/status/1750720844358390186?t=qvHx62clTq-0485UUgHX2A&s=19

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

RareAcumen posted:

Subtext goes over my head, can someone explain the undertone of this? Recommending some smaller channels that you like that people might not have been recommended because youtube's algorithms all suck seems like an okay decision to me.

someday one of them might do something Problematic and then the entire 4 hour video would age like milk

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Sydin posted:

I remember hearing the plagiarizing pokemon allegations a month ago and thinkin, drat, wait till those people find out about other rpgs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

when youre positioning these people as the Morally Good Ones in comparison to somerton the whole premise falls apart if any of them ever does anything wrong (and some of them have already said some mildly off stuff - not to the level of somerton plagiarism or him actually going after some rando author, but not that far off from one of his random misogynist comments)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pootybutt posted:

"Here are the queer writers who were ripped off I was mentioning for over an hour, some weren't even paid a first time, check them out." yes how weird, performative
you're misunderstanding the video

the people he lists at the end of the video arent the people who were ripped off

hes just listing a bunch of random Queer Youtubers he likes and presenting them as the moral alternative

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bobjr posted:

It's wild how Seanbaby who absolutely made jokes that would not fly today did the absolute bare minimum and started making fun of other things instead and stopped using terms he shouldn't and it feels like few other comedy professionals can handle this without their brains ripping themselves apart.

Anyway, it's pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i would fursonally not attribute morality to my favorite online content creators unless they are vtubers that i have developed unhealthy obsessions with