Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Disabled people shouldn’t be playing games anyway. They should be working on making themselves no longer disabled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Eurogamer guy who said that the lack of explicit direction made Tears of the Kingdom inaccessible to people with Long Covid

Nintendo hates the Long Covids. They even have a slur they use to refer to them: Longers.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Also people think there to be some sort of moral wrongness to a game having any sort of friction or difficulty. Like the infamous Sekiro article that generated the cheated yourself etc phrase. I don't think anyone gives a poo poo really that the guy used cheat engine to go slo mo to win...But like why did he need to write an article acting like it was some failing of the game that he *had* to resort to that lol.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I prefer more linear games than pure open world for that reason tbh. Like give me a few detailed maps with a dense concentration of things to do in it over basically anything Bethesda

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's their mind on ubisoft checklist slop. the Souls games were big but Elden Ring was WAY bigger so I think it made a bunch of other people who never played the other games take a look and when they only play Far Cry and Modern AssCreed...well....It probably looks insanely impossible lol

The thing is like even AssCreed stopped trying to be a diet version of The Witcher and moved back to a more simple, back-to-basifs style that needs fewer hours of tutorial missions to introduce all of the game's 200 systems so I think they are kind of being influenced by the idea of tighter design. not that I played the last AssCreed

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I prefer more linear games than pure open world for that reason tbh. Like give me a few detailed maps with a dense concentration of things to do in it over basically anything Bethesda

Same

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I am a Gamer. Quote this if you are proud to be a Gamer.

I'm pruning every gamer here that doesn't quote this post tomorrow.

There is literally a journo oval office. And I can find where you are and send someone to do some yellow paint.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
summarizing 500 hours of game design discussion with the conclusion that the greatest game ever made is yakuza 0

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Note Block posted:

You gotta hand it to em, they understand the importance of gaming

The genre of gaming journalist articles that are trying to position themselves has insightful or socially concerned, but which make all these weird asides about backwards cultures or strange coded wordplay are the modern day equivalent to those racist G4 TV skits.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Feels Villeneuve posted:

summarizing 500 hours of game design discussion with the conclusion that the greatest game ever made is yakuza 0

There's a Planescape:Torment reference in the Skyrim mod for Morrowind so I dunno about that one chief

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I can also get lost in games like Witcher 3 or modern Zelda games too but that's because they have other things that keep my interest longer

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

lol gently caress, you just unlocked a memory for me

I 100% completed Xenoblade 1, all sidequests, max affinities, etc. On the drat 3ds version
haha me too

why

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the thing is i get that some people, because of taste, will see a game that's like "go wherever you want" and get kind of overwhelmed in an unenjoyable way but i don't know how you get from there to "the Japanese hate disabled people"

it cant be that a game just isnt for me. it must be some sort of moral failing that they wont make the game for me and i will use other popele as an excuse for this

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

cardinale posted:

haha me too

why

I played it because it was the only way to not pay a ton of money for the Wii version and I happened to have a new 3DS.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
xenoblade is great but you know they made versions of it for the wii and switch. it looks better and everything. you should have played those versions

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

same but the key word here is "prefer"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there's also a better game. they called it xenoblade 2 appropriately enough

Note Block
May 14, 2007

Fun Shoe

Stux posted:

it cant be that a game just isnt for me. it must be some sort of moral failing that they wont make the game for me and i will use other popele as an excuse for this

Game,..not FOR Me?; I.. that's I'm..imm...possible

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
open world games rule when theres a clear reason for it being open world and its used properly like in botw/totk, death stranding, kenshi etc

open world games are the worst thing imaginable when its a linear 12 hour game with completely obviously generated landscape designed to put tedious distance between everything just to eat up time and fill with copy pasted mini objectives, and unfortunately most open world games are this one lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

cardinale posted:

haha me too

why

The novelty of playing such a massive game on a 3ds was cool to me

Same reason why I'm always tempted to get Witcher 3 on switch whenever it's on sale

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I tried the Ubisoft Avatar game while I still had ubi+ and it was extremely pretty but so soulless and bland that I got bored after 2 hours. Such a stark difference to exploring in TW3 or Elden Ring etc lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Stux posted:

open world games rule when theres a clear reason for it being open world and its used properly like in botw/totk, death stranding, kenshi etc

open world games are the worst thing imaginable when its a linear 12 hour game with completely obviously generated landscape designed to put tedious distance between everything just to eat up time and fill with copy pasted mini objectives, and unfortunately most open world games are this one lol

:hai:

RSX11M
Sep 21, 2016

The Leader in Efficient Realtime Processing

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I am a Gamer. Quote this if you are proud to be a Gamer.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

there's also a better game. they called it xenoblade 2 appropriately enough

prepare to die

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ive gotten so jaded by That Inventory Screen that when i launched witcher 3 last year i like winced at seeing its equip menu

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I can also get lost in games like Witcher 3 or modern Zelda games too but that's because they have other things that keep my interest longer

people always want to blame Witcher 3 for the whole "MC narrates the entire game" but that is the number one example of making it work, because Geralt is offering details about the game world, ruminating on weird observations, complaining about poo poo, and can literally get things wrong during the detective stuff if you don't find the right clues.

Meanwhile GoW and Horizon give you 15 seconds before going "huh, maybe I need to push that red block into the red hole?"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Same reason why I'm always tempted to get Witcher 3 on switch whenever it's on sale

had at least as much enjoyment playing witcher 3 on switch as looking at the cart and being like "drat they really fit the whole game on that thing"

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
man....xenoblade 3 loving owned

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I just downloaded Witcher 3 on my switch last week for this reason! Idk when I will get to it though what with all the other stuff out now and coming out soon

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Farg posted:

prepare to die

Feels right.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

kenshi is great fun

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Farg posted:

yeah..... the jrpg with one freaking town "owns"..... get outa here

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Farg posted:

Eunie ftmfw

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I bought Kenshi back in the day when it had 0 sfx or music and was completely silent. and it was like this for years of dev. FTW.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
eunie is ftw.... no arguments

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

kenshi is great fun

gah!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I bought Kenshi back in the day when it had 0 sfx or music and was completely silent. and it was like this for years of dev. FTW.

literally just spending all his time making the unbelievably gigantic map lol

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I just bought the Xenoblade 3 amiibos for $47 on amazon because Gamestop wants to charge $15 shipping to get them new so it's still cheaper.

pandy fackler
Jun 2, 2020

pandy fackler has a new favorite as of 06:26 on Mar 22, 2024

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i live in a city with fairly regular grid streets and there are people who act like i have superpowers because i can keep track of which way north is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

pentyne posted:

I just bought the Xenoblade 3 amiibos for $47 on amazon because Gamestop wants to charge $15 shipping to get them new so it's still cheaper.

It's illegal to get a Noah or Mio amiibo without also getting the other one